Ned Braden
undo
24 posters

[solved]American questions for British people

undo
    undo
    Internet's Busiest Music Nerd

Pizzas : 1133

[solved]American questions for British people - Page 13 Empty Re: [solved]American questions for British people

Post by undo Sat Dec 05, 2020 11:47 pm

Yeah I saw someone post "eat hot chip" and they just happened to be British and I thought I was onto something
    Gene Bootcut
    Gene Bootcut
    A fanatic of the sketch genre

Pizzas : 441

[solved]American questions for British people - Page 13 Empty Re: [solved]American questions for British people

Post by Gene Bootcut Sun Dec 06, 2020 12:42 am

oh, didn't occur to me earlier, and I don't know if you already know this or if it's literally the question but the terms chip and crisp are reversed in British-English. so yeah, a fry straight out the oven or w/e
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:35 pm

Yeah but that would still be hot chips
    Michael K.
    Michael K.
    Fascist Groove Shark

Pizzas : 161
    Dispositionpickled

Post by Michael K. Mon Dec 14, 2020 7:38 pm

And also: who the fuck eats cold french fries?
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

Pizzas : 988
    DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Tue Dec 15, 2020 12:02 am

Cold french fries are the saddest food in the world, and they are gross, but I've never not eaten them when they were around, probably in my entire life.
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Tue Dec 15, 2020 12:16 am

They're not without their charms
    Gene Bootcut
    Gene Bootcut

Post by Gene Bootcut Tue Dec 15, 2020 12:26 am

undo wrote:Yeah but that would still be hot chips

...no? one individual chip would be a chip, as in when you enter the room and see your mate eating them and say 'could I have a chip' (or, erm, as in a singular quantity of chips?)

sorry, I'm at a loss as to what's going on here
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Tue Dec 15, 2020 1:54 am

well, then they would be "eating a hot chip" and not "eating hot chip," right?
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Tue Dec 15, 2020 1:54 am

I mean, he is eating more than one but he's eating them one at a time
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

Pizzas : 988
    DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Tue Dec 15, 2020 2:23 am

Feeling more and more like "eat hot chip" works well as a vaguely defined state of mind and much less so as a tangible thing. Hence, why I think that t-shirt on the last page works well.

Or like, maybe a phrase/attitude to put on to troll anybody who wants to get up in your business?
    Gene Bootcut
    Gene Bootcut

Post by Gene Bootcut Tue Dec 15, 2020 9:03 am

not familiar w/ the meme, sorry, thought you were asking about the band name

maybe the strange singularity of the construction is part of the joke
    BGwaves
    BGwaves
    equal parts Skrillex, T. Rex, Ed Kowalczyk, Joe Dumars, Outkast, and Kate Bush

Pizzas : 280
    DispositionBLACK..... coffee in bed

Post by BGwaves Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:26 pm

Does Edwyn Collins hold a place in British culture or is he forgotten? Same question, Orange Juice?

I fell in love with this band recently and I’m curious how he’s viewed.
    Gene Bootcut
    Gene Bootcut

Post by Gene Bootcut Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:48 pm

I have discussed Orange Juice irl w/ two people, based on this extensive sample I would say that they are extremely well regarded
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Pizzas : 342

Post by chrondog Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:11 pm

Do people talk about that era of Scottish post-punk in general? The Aztec Camera/Josef K/etc. scene.

Scotland is a great musical country.
    Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Pizzas : 977

Post by Nick Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:13 pm

I have really gotten into Belle and Sebastian the past few months but have never listened to the music you mentioned!
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Pizzas : 342

Post by chrondog Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:51 pm

imo the BBC sessions on disc 6 of this Orange Juice compilation is one of the best ways to be introduced to the band:
    Gene Bootcut
    Gene Bootcut

Post by Gene Bootcut Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:09 pm

agreed but also listen to You Can't Hide Your Love Forever and lose yourself in its shimmering beauty. One of the best albums of its time, imo, at the very least this is certainly one of the best songs

BGwaves
    BGwaves
    equal parts Skrillex, T. Rex, Ed Kowalczyk, Joe Dumars, Outkast, and Kate Bush

Pizzas : 280
    DispositionBLACK..... coffee in bed

Post by BGwaves Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:21 pm

Spotify said that was my favorite song of 2020. While that is probably true, I’m more of a fan of ‘I can’t help myself’ and ‘rip it up.’ I think those are two of the best songs from the 80s.
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:07 pm

A little context before I ask this question:

Drummer/producer Makaya McCraven traveled to London in October of 2017 to record material for a new album (which has since been titled Universal Beings & will come out on International Anthem in Fall of 2018). Over the course of 3 days in London, Makaya connected with first time collaborators (Theon Cross, Nubya Garcia, Joe Armon-Jones, Soweto Kinch, Ashley Henry, Daniel Casimir and Kamaal Williams), and in addition to the Universal Beings studio sessions, did 2 improvised performances as part of a 2-night showcase called CHICAGOxLONDON presented by International Anthem & EZH Mag at legendary UK Jazz hub Total Refreshment Centre (TRC). The following Sunday afternoon five producers (LeFtO, Ben LaMar Gay, Quiet Dawn, Earl Jeffers & Don Leisure of the Darkhouse Family) were invited to TRC to participate in an event called Fresh Roasted: Live Beat-Making & Battle, where they did live remixes of the recordings from Makaya & co’s CHICAGOxLONDON performances. In the subsequent months, remixes by Emma-Jean Thackray and Lexus Blondin were added to the pool, at which point Makaya took all the remixes and the raw live recordings from TRC back to his home studio in Chicago, chopped everything up and re-composed the music into two continuous side suites for this CHICAGOxLONDON mixtape.

In the part where I put the question marks ([??????]), what is he saying? It seems to be a specific reference to a place in the UK or specifically in London but I want to know exactly what place that is.

It is a conundrum
    It doesn't matter we run them
    Whether you from Chi-town or you're from London

It is a conundrum
    Freestyle while I kill 'em while I just annoy (?)
    Whether it's [??????] or it's Illinois
    You can see I"m misbehavin'
    I ate the whole plate you could say I'm McCravin'
    Why? I like eatin'
    Getting on the microphone yeah and that's the feelin'
    I'm not a heathen while I'm on it
    I don't even know it's kind of hotter than the trumpets
    Gene Bootcut
    Gene Bootcut

Post by Gene Bootcut Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:21 pm

video not available in the UK
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Sun Jan 24, 2021 3:29 pm

https://intlanthem.bandcamp.com/track/where-we-come-from

At 00:25 or so
    Gene Bootcut
    Gene Bootcut

Post by Gene Bootcut Sun Jan 24, 2021 3:34 pm

He's saying 'Brummie', the demonym for someone from Birmingham
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Sun Jan 24, 2021 4:28 pm

Thank you!

I figured it was something like that but there was no way I'd ever truly know without asking someone and this thread is really the only place I could go to in this whole world with such a question.
    Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Pizzas : 977

Post by Nick Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:49 am

Are people upset about the 99 year old Prince Philip dying? Will there be an influx of like commemorative plates or something to honor him?
    Gene Bootcut
    Gene Bootcut

Post by Gene Bootcut Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:04 pm

I honestly have no idea what the general monarchist opinion of him is, I'd assume uncritical support* for every important member of the family

*I do not have uncritical support for any institution and just received an e-mail from Labour South West telling me that all the campaigning I wasn't doing anyway has been cancelled for the time being on account of his death, which made me reflect on how incredibly lazy I must be to not have taken the time to cancel my membership

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:44 am