Gene Bootcut
Ned Braden
17 posters

Wet Shaving Enthusiasts Subforum

reuben
    reuben
    President Bannon

Pizzas : 710

Wet Shaving Enthusiasts Subforum - Page 2 Empty Re: Wet Shaving Enthusiasts Subforum

Post by reuben Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:18 am

welp, this guy has got our number

http://www.bruceonshaving.com/2010/10/11/traditional-shaving-forums/

- People are mostly anonymous and often behave in genuinely nasty ways that they would never do if their name was attached. There is some truly sociopathic behaviour out there that people should be ashamed of. If they walked into a bar or pub and behaved like this they would be in trouble very quickly.

- The forum moderators can have serious power complexes. Rather than encouraging a community to work they are often over officious bullies who wield their power badly. Banning people who they disagree with is often the norm.

- Inevitably cliques form and then go to war on non members of their little fraternity. They really do behave like troupes of monkeys. To make things worse the moderators are often clique members.
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

Pizzas : 988
    DispositionRock Guitars

Wet Shaving Enthusiasts Subforum - Page 2 Empty Re: Wet Shaving Enthusiasts Subforum

Post by Ned Braden Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:56 am

reuben wrote:All i can recommend right now is this razor:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000NL0T1G/ref=aw_cr_item_title?qid=1351297985&sr=1-1
    And some of these blades:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/cr/B0022R947O/f=4/ref=aw_cr_f_hpc?qid=1356655197&sr=8-2
    Although you should start with fewer than 50 and see how they work for you.

I'm also about to try some Proraso soap, because I figure if it works for real italian beards it should work for mine too.

I bet you can find some great shaving cream in the uk though.

What have you been shaving with?

Boy, they call this a "safety razor," but it's pretty easy to cut yourself using those sharp feather blades. I need to re-evaluate my approach to neckbeard shaving cause I could draw blood in that area with an electric.
    reuben
    reuben
    President Bannon

Post by reuben Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:37 am

You have to be really light with it, like using only the weight of the razor. And just go with the grain.

yancy
    yancy
    equal parts Skrillex, T. Rex, Ed Kowalczyk, Joe Dumars, Outkast, and Kate Bush

Pizzas : 342

Post by yancy Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:31 pm

Can you guys ever get a close shave only going with the grain? I do my first pass with the grain, then go back across and against the grain until everything's smooth or I think I'm going to bleed, which is a delicate balance on my neck.

And there's no way I'm going the safety razor route. I tried a well-rated single blade disposable with a fixed head, to approximate the feel of a safety razor. Cut myself the fuck up, because I was accustomed to pivoting heads, and didn't constantly adjust the blade angle relative to my face. It felt wrong to be able to dig the razor into my skin simply by putting the cutting head to my face at the wrong angle. I was like, isn't this why we have technology?

Long story short, I'm back to using my very first teenage razor, a Gillette Sensor. Two blades with a pivoting head and individually spring-mounted blades that are much more forgiving when going over the adam's apple or tip of the chin.
    reuben
    reuben
    President Bannon

Post by reuben Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:34 am

I do with the grain, then across the grain. I've been getting a much closer shave with the safety razor and far less cutting than the disposables I had been using.
    reuben
    reuben
    President Bannon

Post by reuben Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:10 pm

Every once in a while you get a bad blade I guess. Some of these feathers I can use for a week with no nicks, then I start a new one and I'm cut a bunch.
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

Pizzas : 988
    DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:31 pm

When did gillette sensor become a mach 3? Grabbed one before travelling to Greece to give the Yancy route a go, without realizing it was a three blader. Not angry or anything, been getting some solid shaves anyway. Shaved late last night and I'm still presentable at 9:30pm, which is great for me. Got a badger brush, some real shaving co standard shave cream, and some preshave oil I've been using. Feelin' Wet Shaving Enthusiasts Subforum - Page 2 Handsome
    tjenz
    tjenz
    Bass Player from Creepy D

Pizzas : 77

Post by tjenz Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:33 pm

So long as it stays sharp, I will keep the same blade going for weeks.
    If it is the first time I use it and I get a nick, it's gone.

I don't want it after it has developed a taste for blood.

Last edited by tjenz on Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

President Bannon

Post by reuben Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:39 pm

I like it Tjenz. That's like the "one free bite" rule for dangerous dogs.
    yancy
    yancy

Post by yancy Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:22 pm

Ned Braden wrote:When did gillette sensor become a mach 3?
    I dunno, but that's some bullshit. If I want 3 blades I'll get a mach 3. When I bought my 2-blade sensor excel handle a couple months ago, there was a free 3-blade cartridge I didn't use. Now I'm buying regular (non-excel) sensor cartridges. Same blades and no "lubricating strip," so the head is narrower & easier to maneuver in tight spots like the upper lip/nose area.
    Gene Bootcut
    Gene Bootcut
    A fanatic of the sketch genre

Pizzas : 441

Post by Gene Bootcut Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:01 pm

In contrast to Nick's strategy I've started going for clean shaves rather than the constant stubble I'd been rocking since 2009. My face has never felt better.
    coyote
    coyote
    A classically handsome man's man in the Huey Lewis mold

Pizzas : 99

Post by coyote Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:36 pm

Ned Braden wrote:Post a picture of it!

Wet Shaving Enthusiasts Subforum - Page 2 Photo_10
    yancy
    yancy

Post by yancy Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:01 pm

imlikewhoa
    Gene Bootcut
    Gene Bootcut

Post by Gene Bootcut Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:11 pm

You might even hit triple digits with that anchor weighing you down.
    Bruegel
    Bruegel
    basically just a wordier, shittier sausage blurb

Pizzas : 453

Post by Bruegel Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:51 pm

ah, the Arvo Part!
    Gene Bootcut
    Gene Bootcut

Post by Gene Bootcut Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:23 pm

Currently undergoing my annual attempt to grow a beard, 2013. Off to a more promising start this time around.
    quip
    quip
    Jasper's Yurt of Enlightened Conversation

Pizzas : 74

Post by quip Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:39 pm

I've been using a safety razor at home for the past six months but am still not convinced it is for me. I love the idea of it and the end result of shaving with it, but using it definitely takes extra time in the morning which I typically don't have much of.
    reuben
    reuben
    President Bannon

Post by reuben Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:43 pm

What's taking more time? The shaving cream?
    quip
    quip

Post by quip Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:52 pm

I officially gave up the other week when I was traveling and forgot to pack my safety razor. I bought a disposable 2 bladed bic and had a much more even, clean, faster shave than I had had in months.
    techno raj
    techno raj
    Tub of Lemon Chobani

Pizzas : 228

Post by techno raj Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:56 pm

What brand safety razor?
    quip
    quip

Post by quip Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:45 pm

This Mekur. I was using Shark blades with it.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002FC7B2G/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    techno raj
    techno raj
    Tub of Lemon Chobani

Pizzas : 228

Post by techno raj Sat Mar 07, 2015 1:33 pm

Some people I know are Merkur obsessives. They recommend feather blades, they think some of the other Merkur blades are way too much.
    reuben
    reuben
    President Bannon

Post by reuben Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:35 am

The grey lady with a late to the game Slate take

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/28/magazine/letter-of-recommendation-safety-razors.html
    petey
    petey
    Still has http://lotsofpeopleposting.teensboards.com bookmarked

Pizzas : 49

Post by petey Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:54 am

i just bought a safety razor last week
    undo
    undo
    Internet's Busiest Music Nerd

Pizzas : 1133

Post by undo Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:38 pm

what is this

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:44 am