chrondog
    chrondog
    bitter about people liking Modest Mouse

Pizzas : 302

workingman's blues - Page 16 Empty Re: workingman's blues

Post by chrondog on Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:29 pm

also, my current unemployment claim runs out this week

i've been unemployed for almost six months now

and i got word today and i'll get getting an offer from a company that is trying to make self-driving cars

life happens fast (after happening slow)
    Michael K.
    Michael K.
    Wandering Dragon

Pizzas : 123
    Dispositionpickled

Post by Michael K. on Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:09 pm

chrondog wrote:
    WP64 wrote:Is it common in offices for people to communicate primarily through Gchats and e-mails and basically avoid any face-to-face interaction. Because that was the vibe in the office that I was working in and it was really fucking awkward. There would be people working in the cubicle next to me that would send me a gchat rather than just standing up and asking me something directly. I hated it so much.

I hate the idea of a Slack channel filled with recycled GIFs from a stupid American sitcom. It's makes me cringe.

Given my proximity to Silicon Valley, I can speak with authority when I say that at least half of techy office workers would prefer this.

On some level I understand have a communication protocol. It's very annoying when people tap you on the shoulder all fucking day to cut into your workflow and ask some dumb question. 

a-fucking-men. The winery I work at is small - ~16 employees between admin, production, and hospitality - and I share an office. I put my airpods in and tell my office mate to text if he needs something.
    Duff...
    Duff...
    dying of laughter, here, but still genuinely sorry.

Pizzas : 679
    DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... on Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:13 pm

Yeah, I'd be all Scarface from Half Baked if someone behind me IM'd me.
    Duff...
    Duff...

Pizzas : 679
    DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... on Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:14 pm

I might be more all Scarface from Scarface now that I think about it more
    chrondog
    chrondog

Post by chrondog on Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:19 pm

chrondog wrote:and i got word today and i'll get getting an offer from a company that is trying to make self-driving cars

this is blowing me away and might change my life forever

mang
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Pizzas : 814
    DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden on Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:29 pm

Godspeed Chronodiggity
    Michael K.
    Michael K.
    Wandering Dragon

Pizzas : 123
    Dispositionpickled

Post by Michael K. on Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:06 pm

Michael K. wrote:
    chrondog wrote:
    WP64 wrote:Is it common in offices for people to communicate primarily through Gchats and e-mails and basically avoid any face-to-face interaction. Because that was the vibe in the office that I was working in and it was really fucking awkward. There would be people working in the cubicle next to me that would send me a gchat rather than just standing up and asking me something directly. I hated it so much.

I hate the idea of a Slack channel filled with recycled GIFs from a stupid American sitcom. It's makes me cringe.

Given my proximity to Silicon Valley, I can speak with authority when I say that at least half of techy office workers would prefer this.

On some level I understand have a communication protocol. It's very annoying when people tap you on the shoulder all fucking day to cut into your workflow and ask some dumb question. 

a-fucking-men. The winery I work at is small - ~16 employees between admin, production, and hospitality - and I share an office. I put my airpods in and tell my office mate to text if he needs something.

Don't have to worry about this dude anymore as I got canned yesterday. Anyone have any great advice on what to do when you're suddenly unemployed in an industry where you already had pretty much hit the pay ceiling? Specifically, how do I move into an industry where I can do some actual good instead of reifying affluence and privilege?
    WP64
    WP64

Pizzas : 42
    DispositionIntransigent

Post by WP64 on Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:15 pm

Sorry you lost your job. Neutral I hope it becomes an opportunity for you. Coincidentally, like half of the jobs available for English speakers here in Tuscany is connected to the wine industry. Some of it actually seems like it could be interesting and would involve a lot of travel and decent pay. I met someone here who has a good friend who does this kind of work and I might meet up with him at some point to ask questions about it. At the same time, it seems incredibly unfulfilling and I'd rather push myself to find something in an NGO or a non-profit. Every now and then I find internship opportunities working for agencies affiliated with the European Union, but they are almost always unpaid, highly competitive, and super demanding. I'm not at all lazy and would love the challenge, but I don't want to piss my entire savings in the hope that I make a good enough impression during a three month internship period that they decide to keep me on and grant me a work permit...

Chrono, tell us more about the self-driving cars.
    Soma
    Soma
    Your Tailor

Pizzas : 392

Post by Soma on Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:17 am

Man, what's that autoplay I immediately had to mute? Very nerve-racking
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Pizzas : 814
    DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden on Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:22 am

It’s from the popular 90s comedy, Half Baked. I’m not sure who put it there or why. When it comes to Half Baked quotes from the Scareface character, I’d have pegged Workingman’s blues as much more a “why you gotta disrespect me cause I work the grill b?!” Or “fuck you, fuck you, you’re cool, fuck you im out” thread.
    undo
    undo
    Yawn Yeller

Pizzas : 883

Post by undo on Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:33 pm

Spending the last hour here with nothing to do, applying for a new job online but I don't want to re-write the cover letter that's sitting on my hard drive at home so I'll finish the process later.

I'm listening to Tortoise (and whatever is autoplaying on this page) and trying to find an old post where Nick talks about getting fired but it may have been on LOPP1.
    Nick
    Nick

Pizzas : 842

Post by Nick on Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:19 am

I got canned 9 years ago so that would have been LOPP1 I’m assuming.

Can’t recall what I wrote exactly though.
    undo
    undo
    Yawn Yeller

Post by undo on Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:46 pm

You wrote, "Guess what happened to me at work today. I got fucking fired!"

The post I really wanted to revisit was a Paves reply where he said he initially read your post as "I got fucking tired!"

I can't really explain it but it was an Internet comment that's just stuck in my head over the years and I wanted to revisit it.
    zappo
    zappo
    YouTube shooter

Pizzas : 836

Post by zappo on Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:29 pm

Nick, tell the story about that time you accidentally drove through a construction zone while on a work trip.  That was a fucking post!
    Nick
    Nick

Pizzas : 842

Post by Nick on Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:52 pm

zappo wrote:Nick, tell the story about that time you accidentally drove through a construction zone while on a work trip.  That was a fucking post!

This was in Little Rock, Arkansas and we had just got out of our client meeting and realized if we hurried there was an earlier flight home to Chicago. The problem was the construction in the area was awful and not clearly marked.

We came up to an area that looked like no through traffic was allowed but we weren’t certain and my colleague suggested I go for it. I headed for the on ramp and like seconds later an Arkansas cop was on my ass.

I pulled over and he strolled up to my window and in a deep southern accent goes, “Son, just what in the hell do you think you’re doing?!?” I explained we were in a hurry and I meant no harm and honestly didn’t think the ramp was closed.

He kept looking straight ahead and shaking his going, “Son I just don’t get it the signs clearly show this ramp is closed.” He eventually let us go and I was worried I was going to get yanked from the car and thrown in Little Rock jail. I tried to be cool though so my colleague wouldn’t go back to the office and tell everyone I was a pussy in front of a cop. My colleague was also very attractive so in hindsight that probably influenced the entire event.
    zappo
    zappo
    YouTube shooter

Pizzas : 836

Post by zappo on Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:55 pm

I found the OG, which I saved offsite. I think, though, that I may have slightly edited this for clarity when I shared it with a few of my irl friends.

Nick wrote:I am in Little Rock, Arkansas today. My GPS was guiding me back to the airport and it was taking me through an area heavily under construction and I drove through an area that had a sign "Road Closed. Thru Traffic Only".

I decided Fuck It I only need to go .4 miles and right after I blew past the sign a cop pulled me over. He gets out and in a thick Southern accent says, "Son, what in the hell are you doing?" I said, "Going to the airport."

He goes, "Did you see that sign that said Road Closed?" "Yes," I said. He responds "did you see two cop cars sitting there too?" I told him, "Yes, in fact I did but misinterpreted the signage."

He does the most Southern Cop thing I could imagine. Looks down the highway and lets out a giant spit from chewing tobacco. Then, "Well god damn, son I don't know what to say other than give you a warning. Just stay to the right and get the Hell on with your business."
    WP64
    WP64

DispositionIntransigent

Post by WP64 on Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:58 pm

I'm crying right now. Holy shit.
    BGwaves
    BGwaves
    Middle-aged Dad

Pizzas : 161
    DispositionBLACK..... coffee in bed

Post by BGwaves on Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:02 pm

Something happen at work?
    WP64
    WP64

DispositionIntransigent

Post by WP64 on Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:47 pm

No. Sorry. I just meant in reaction to that story. Mostly it is the Southern cop saying, "Son, what in the hell are you doing?" that really gets me.
    chrondog
    chrondog

Post by chrondog on Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:23 pm

chrondog wrote:
    chrondog wrote:and i got word today and i'll get getting an offer from a company that is trying to make self-driving cars

this is blowing me away and might change my life forever

mang

this company ghosted me for a few weeks then pulled the offer because they couldn't get approved headcount. it fucked me up for awhile.

but i start my first full-time job in a long while next Monday. i'll be writing emails and Instagramming professionally, it's a dream.
    undo
    undo
    Yawn Yeller

Post by undo on Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:22 pm

I work a customer service job one day a week to bring in extra cash.

Normally I just sit on the Internet all day and face in a certain direction until someone comes up and asks for help. This is what my coworkers do as well and sometimes we'll go hours without speaking, it's great.

New guy not only wants to talk for eight hours straight, he stands with his body turned in my direction and just stares at me the whole time. It is really unnerving. Lots of personal and really random, off the wall questions, I can tell he's just trying to be friendly but the more he does it the less I want to even respond, and this job that I used to kind of look forward to because I could just turn off my brain for couple of hours is now something I'm dreading even putting in my measly 8 hours a week into anymore.
    WP64
    WP64

DispositionIntransigent

Post by WP64 on Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:02 pm

I've had experiences like that before. Just make up something about having had a hard (or just tiring) week so you just want to kind of decompress for those eight hours. Hopefully he gets the idea and starts staring at someone else instead.
    undo
    undo
    Yawn Yeller

Post by undo on Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:27 pm

workingman's blues - Page 16 Resize25

King's X fans goin nuts

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Aug 15, 2020 4:34 am