let's baseball

WP64
    WP64
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Pizzas : 65
    DispositionIntransigent

let's baseball - Page 6 Empty Re: let's baseball

Post by WP64 Sun Oct 09, 2016 1:13 am

Yeah, that was the Samardzija that I remember.
    Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Pizzas : 977

Post by Nick Sun Oct 09, 2016 8:12 am

Haha he was so bad last night!
    Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Post by Nick Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:34 am

I dunno if U get Bumgauner down by 3 runs U need to win that game.
    WP64
    WP64
    Mystery Thread Deleter

DispositionIntransigent

Post by WP64 Tue Oct 11, 2016 2:43 pm

Agreed.

He looked really mediocre last night and the Cubs left way too many RISP in those early innings, which ultimately cost them the game. Questionable bullpen management in that eighth inning but whatever. It was nice to C that Bryant homerun. In previous years the Cubs would have folded in the last inning.

Really impressive by the Giants though.
    vIv
    vIv
    Volunteer worker

Pizzas : 89

Post by vIv Tue Oct 11, 2016 2:51 pm

let's baseball - Page 6 Pirates-Giants-Baseball6-1880x1199

MATTY MOORE TUESDAY!!!

let's baseball - Page 6 Blackcat1s-2-web
    WP64
    WP64
    Mystery Thread Deleter

DispositionIntransigent

Post by WP64 Tue Oct 11, 2016 5:34 pm

Lol. Quit being a dick.

Like I said, an impressive win by the Giants and I'm not going to feel comfortable until the final out is recorded in this series because this team has proven that they can find spectacular ways to eek out wins. Credit goes to Bruce Bochy.

That being said, don't pretend like the Giants R a talented team. The middle of your order poses some threat with Posey (who is an incredible hitter) and Pence (who is scrapy), but Belt is leading your team in homeruns this year with only 17. That's weak homie. Also, your team lacks a closer as evidenced by Sergio Romo's performance last night.
    vIv
    vIv
    Volunteer worker

Post by vIv Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:11 pm

Ҩ wrote:Lol. Quit being a dick.

Like I said, an impressive win by the Giants and I'm not going to feel comfortable until the final out is recorded in this series because this team has proven that they can find spectacular ways to eek out wins. Credit goes to Bruce Bochy.

That being said, don't pretend like the Giants R a talented team. The middle of your order poses some threat with Posey (who is an incredible hitter) and Pence (who is scrapy), but Belt is leading your team in homeruns this year with only 17. That's weak homie. Also, your team lacks a closer as evidenced by Sergio Romo's performance last night.

Well, the Giants R undeniably a talented squad, but I'm not pretending we're better than the Cubs.  The 2016 Cubs R a vastly more talented and formidable squad , in nearly all facets of the game.  Pitching is close but I'd take your Top 3 starters over ours (especially if we're including Samardzija instead of Moore), your line-up is way better statistically, defenses R probably about par, and our bullpen is a shambles.

And I'm not being a "dick."  I'm trying to be playfully waggish about the curse baggage U guys carry, which is undeniable.  If we take tonight over Lackey (definitely possible), then I would say almost ALL the pressure would be on your fated squad, and it would be hard to imagine your team (with all of its youth and relative inexperience with the playoffs) not gripping pretty hard in an elimination game scenario Thursday.  Especially as, if that happens, the Giants and Bochy would be coming in with a 12-0 elimination game streak on the line.

I'm mostly just excited to C awesome ball.  The ALDS series were a lopsided disappointment (after the Wild Card plan in games were so exciting).

May the better (playing) team win!!! god bless the usa god bless the usa god bless the usa
    Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Post by Nick Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:26 pm

If the Cubs blow this series it is a safe bet there is another 100+ years to go before a World Series.
    WP64
    WP64
    Mystery Thread Deleter

DispositionIntransigent

Post by WP64 Wed Oct 12, 2016 1:19 am

Never in doubt. cheers
    vIv
    vIv
    Volunteer worker

Post by vIv Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:49 pm

Ugh. That was a brutal yet completely logical way 4 the Giants 2016 season to end.

Gotta hang that one on Bochy. He should have left Moore in the game. Failing that, have some sort of conviction in your reliever and give them a chance. It was like he overthought it, but didn't really give it much thought, if that makes sense at all.

Anyhow, there's no doubt the better team one, which is some small consolation. And even if we had pulled off the save and somehow gone on to beat U guys at Wrigley Thursday, there was no way we were going to make it through two seven game series without a viable closer.

Offseason: we acquire an expensive actual seasoned closer, a legitimate left fielder with a right-handed bat and power, and 1-2 legitimate bench threats.
    WP64
    WP64
    Mystery Thread Deleter

DispositionIntransigent

Post by WP64 Wed Oct 12, 2016 5:43 pm

It seems like Bochy was borrowing Maddon's tactics from the eight inning of Game 3.

Fowler's base running lapse in the sixth inning had me in agony. I was getting uncomfortable before that but I immediately switched into full on panic mode after that. I still can't believe they pulled it out.

That was a great series though and the Giants R an impressive team. As much as the Gillaspie narrative was tormenting me throughout the series it was incredible to watch him come through over and over again.

Last edited by Ҩ on Wed Oct 12, 2016 5:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
    WP64
    WP64
    Mystery Thread Deleter

DispositionIntransigent

Post by WP64 Wed Oct 12, 2016 5:55 pm

I promised myself that I wouldn't allow myself to think beyond the next game but I just want to briefly explain, as best as I can, how much this Cubs team means to me.

One of my best childhood friends is a huge Cubs fan. We bonded at age six or seven over our mutual love of this team. He had a stroke at birth that effected the function of the right side of his body. Despite that he has always been a really positive and upbeat dude who is a joy to around. At least once a year we go to Wrigley together and it's always such a good time.

Since I'm living at home again I have been watching most of these games with him. I can't even really describe how happy it makes me celebrating a homerun or a clutch base hit with him. It's really fucking awesome.

Onto the NLCS tho. Happy to have Lester pitching 4 Game 1.
    tjenz
    tjenz
    Bass Player from Creepy D

Pizzas : 77

Post by tjenz Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:43 am

/\ /\ /\ /\ /\
    This post is one of those great things about baseball. The friendships, the cherished memories.

I'm more of a Sox fan, but I'm rooting 4 the Cubs.
    I've got some great memories of going games at Wrigley, when I was kid, with my mom. Then in later years sitting in the bleachers with my friends. My grandmother was a huge Cubs fan, she never got to C her beloved Cubs win it all. I have an uncle who turns 90 in a few days. He loves the Cubs. He has never seen the Cubs win it all.

Like the song says, "Root, root, root 4 the home team, If they don't win it's a shame"

Mystery Thread Deleter

DispositionIntransigent

Post by WP64 Sun Oct 16, 2016 3:40 am

MIGGY!!!!
    Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Post by Nick Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:41 am

Looking eerily similar to the Mets series last year. Bats have gone cold and they look intimidated playing in front of a loud away crowd. Dodgers have way more energy too.
    zappo
    zappo
    Supermasculine Menial

Pizzas : 870

Post by zappo Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:30 pm

I really need the Cubs to come back and win this. My life has kind of fallen apart, in the last month or two, and I'm hurting 4 something to keep me going. I'm trying to stay positive, but U're right--it's like last year all over again. Even though there's plenty of baseball left to be played, I can't shake this sinking feeling. Ugh.
    WP64
    WP64
    Mystery Thread Deleter

DispositionIntransigent

Post by WP64 Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:59 am

They woke up!

It might get lost in the post-game analysis because this was such an offensive onslaught but the key at-bat was Zobrist's bunt. Of course, Rizzo and Russell getting out of their collective slump is most important. But just having Zobrist get on base led to that big inning and I was looking 4 a veteran player to step up and help guide this team out of their funk.
    Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Post by Nick Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:22 am

Holy shit bros
    zappo
    zappo
    Supermasculine Menial

Pizzas : 870

Post by zappo Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:51 am

I'm glad the Cubs won. I hope they win the Series, too. Won't survive a collapse this close to the finish line.
    WP64
    WP64
    Mystery Thread Deleter

DispositionIntransigent

Post by WP64 Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:22 pm

I still can't believe it.

I went to the game with my Dad, uncle, and an old childhood friend of theirs. It was so much fun. I was feeling really anxious at the start but it was such a dominant, methodical performance in every single way. As soon as the ninth inning started I could tell that my Dad was thinking of his Mom (who was a huge Cubs fan and hardly ever missed watching a game on WGN). She passed away a couple years before I was born so I never got to meet her.

After the final out everyone just erupted. I was hugging everyone around me and when I turned around I just saw my Dad bawling, staring out at the field, and stammering "I can't believe it." I'm actually crying right now thinking about it.

Such a special group of players and managers who brought this city a moment that I am sure all of us will remember 4 the rest of our lives. Go Cubs.
    vIv
    vIv
    Volunteer worker

Post by vIv Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:40 pm

Hey, congrats U guys. Such a worthy victory and very very happy 4 all of your beleaguered faithful.

I'll be pulling 4 the Tribe in this one, not to be a "dick," but just because they're major underdogs and also, sort of lost in all of the chatter (I mean, they've had a pretty long wait themselves). And while their pitching staff is depleted, I have no doubt they're going to make this very interesting to say the least. If they get runners on, 4 example, I would guess they will be outright larcenous with Lester.

Hoping 4 a true Fall Classic that goes to 7.
    undo
    undo
    Internet's Busiest Music Nerd

Pizzas : 1133

Post by undo Tue Nov 01, 2016 5:44 pm

http://www.clickhole.com/article/incredibly-selfish-city-chicago-wants-its-baseball-5088
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:53 pm

http://pitchfork.com/news/69483-billy-corgan-thinks-a-lot-of-celebrity-cubs-fans-R-posers/

I think we all know who he's talking about.
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:54 pm

Everyone okay here?
    ClosetOfExhaustion
    ClosetOfExhaustion
    Have You Heard?

Pizzas : 275
    Dispositiondisposed

Post by ClosetOfExhaustion Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:30 pm

i started cheering 4 cleveland the other night because, like the election, i just wanted this WS to be over.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:01 pm