Duff...
15 posters

Condé Nast buys Pitchfork Media.

WP64
    WP64
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Pizzas : 65
    DispositionIntransigent

Condé Nast buys Pitchfork Media. - Page 5 Empty Re: Condé Nast buys Pitchfork Media.

Post by WP64 Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:56 pm

Thanks for posting that list, Mitch. For some reason I still can't get into Blackstar. I don't know if it ever going to happen for me.

How do you go about making a personal best of the decade list? Are you listing your 100 favorite albums of the decade from this moment in time? Or are you thinking about the 100 albums that you liked the most, at various times, throughout the ten years. Because my lists would be completely different depending on how I approached that question... In the case of the latter, I'd probably end up with a bunch of Death Grips and Lil Ugly Mane albums that I literally never listen to anymore..
    Pete Best
    Pete Best
    Solid Bro

Pizzas : 116
    DispositionSweet

Condé Nast buys Pitchfork Media. - Page 5 Empty Re: Condé Nast buys Pitchfork Media.

Post by Pete Best Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:16 pm

A bit of both. I have a spreadsheet with the individual year lists and it's a case of pulling the top 20 or so for each year and putting them all together.

Then I use something called a preference revealer, which you make a pairwise comparison and it sorts the order out. Does take 20 odd minutes to do a list of 100 but it isn't like you have to do n*(n-1)/2 match ups.

In terms of your question, you'll always going to be wrestling with context. There's not been much decent in the back half of the decade from say Fionna Apple or Joanna Newsom, whereas seine who had more contemporary releases fresh to mind might be higher up.
    Michael K.
    Michael K.
    Fascist Groove Shark

Pizzas : 161
    Dispositionpickled

Post by Michael K. Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:54 pm

Pete Best wrote:

Then I use something called a preference revealer, which you make a pairwise comparison and it sorts the order out. Does take 20 odd minutes to do a list of 100 but it isn't like you have to do n*(n-1)/2 match ups.

You write the script for that or is it something prewritten you can run a set through?
    Pete Best
    Pete Best
    Solid Bro

Pizzas : 116
    DispositionSweet

Post by Pete Best Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:26 pm

I didn't do this. Fill your boots, https://czeckd.github.io/preference-revealer/dist/
    Michael K.
    Michael K.
    Fascist Groove Shark

Pizzas : 161
    Dispositionpickled

Post by Michael K. Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:45 pm

Pretty useful, that
    BGwaves
    BGwaves
    basically just a wordier, shittier sausage blurb

Pizzas : 281
    DispositionBLACK..... coffee in bed

Post by BGwaves Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:13 pm

Yeah Mitch, that tool is incredibly useful, thanks for sharing!
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

Pizzas : 992
    DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:12 am

The front page of pitchfork is all steely dan récords for some reason and for a moment I was all, wait did Becker or Fagen just die or something?
    Gene Bootcut
    Gene Bootcut
    A fanatic of the sketch genre

Pizzas : 441

Post by Gene Bootcut Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:57 am

Well I hope I'm not the bearer of outdated bad news but...
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

Pizzas : 992
    DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:26 am

haha oh shit
    Duff...
    Duff...
    Current Bass Player of UFO

Pizzas : 809
    DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:01 pm

Ned Braden wrote:The front page of pitchfork is all steely dan récords for some reason and for a moment I was all, wait did Becker or Fagen just die or something?

Ha, thought the same thing.
    Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Pizzas : 978

Post by Nick Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:08 pm

Tiny Mix Tapes announced a hiatus. I have enjoyed that site for a while. They did a great job of bringing attention to experimental artists and I consistently felt their thoughts on several artists/releases aligned with my own but at the same time opened my mind to new music.
    zappo
    zappo
    Supermasculine Menial

Pizzas : 870

Post by zappo Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:06 pm

Awful, awful, awful news.
    undo
    undo
    Internet's Busiest Music Nerd

Pizzas : 1137

Post by undo Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:57 pm

Nick wrote:I’m going to be fascinated to see what happens when Pitchfork goes behind a paywall. Who is going to pay so they can get a fucking Best Coast review?
    is this ever going to happen or what
    Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Post by Nick Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:25 pm

undo wrote:
    Nick wrote:I’m going to be fascinated to see what happens when Pitchfork goes behind a paywall. Who is going to pay so they can get a fucking Best Coast review?
    is this ever going to happen or what

I dunno but if more sites like TMT shut down I think the likelihood increases. I could be wrong though because I’m sure it would majorly impact their advertising dollars.
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:47 pm

Jesus Is Born has less in common with the slick, radio-friendly textures of 21st-century gospel music. It’s more of a descendent of more traditional singers like Mahalia Jackson, Sister Rosetta Tharpe, and the Clark Sisters. The Sunday Service Choir as a whole also seems to be taking cues from groups with no real lead singer like the Fisk Jubilee Singers, the Dixie Hummingbirds, and the Blind Boys of Alabama.

Is there any place you can go and read the press releases that are sent to writers by the PR firms when they’re sending out promos to review?

Because I refuse to believe that this writer is really a huge gospel nut that’s just pulling these comparisons straight from their own experience.
    BGwaves
    BGwaves

Post by BGwaves Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:41 am

I believe it to a certain extent. These days it’s just too easy to scratch that weird musical fetish itch. You may not be a scholar but you can sift through a whole genre with a playlist.
    Duff...
    Duff...

DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:10 pm

undo wrote:Condé Nast buys Pitchfork Media. - Page 5 Contro10

My anecdotal "evidence" doesn't count for anything but I've been never read a word about this album and I boarded alongside all of you for well over a decade to say nothing of The Good Dr Bill, ben welsh, some girl, midnite vultures (?) and I can't be sure this was ever brought up.

Yeah, this is a masterpiece and if there's a flaw in it it's that I'm already intimately familiar with 66% of it.
    zappo
    zappo
    Supermasculine Menial

Pizzas : 870

Post by zappo Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:52 pm

I feel like without that record and Rhythm Nation, there is no soundtrack for Chrono Trigger. Especially the 2300 tunes.
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Sun May 03, 2020 8:17 pm

https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/7528-love-and-distortion/

I always thought this review killed their career (surely it didn't help them, this was the peak of the site's ability to just destroy a band if they felt like it), but apparently they were off to bigger and better things after this. They even signed a deal with Elektra to record and release a new album... who then dropped them after some corporate mergers. Ten years later, they finally put it out.

https://thestratford4.bandcamp.com/album/keep-your-crazy-head-on-straight

I love this bit in bold:

2004 Was not a good year for music. Kid Rock was on top of the charts and digital file-sharing had eviscerated the music industry. The Stratford 4, a critically acclaimed quartet of shoegazers from San Francisco, were riding the waves of uncertainty as best as they could. Their previous album, Love & Distortion, was hailed as a noise pop classic by Rolling Stone and they’d gotten high praise from Spin and Pitchfork. After a year of legal hassles with Jetset (their previous label), they were finally in New York City, making a record with pop icon Ric Ocasec for Elektra Records. Safely ensconced inside Electric Lady Studios, they recorded their major label debut, the unwieldy-if-presciently titled “Keep Your Crazy Head On Straight”. The record was completed, mixed, mastered, artwork finalized and a release date was set.

When WEA (the Warner Brothers family of labels) was sold, The Stratford 4 and everyone else on Elektra were dropped. The band went on tour, first with their old friends BRMC then with Beulah, hoping the exposure would generate some interest in the album. They played shows with the Libertines, the Brian Jonestown Massacre, Clinic, Luna, Camper Van Beethoven and others, but months of stress from legal woes had taken their toll. The singer quit the band and the music froze, suspended in midair.

2015 is an interesting time to be a musician. The chaos of file-sharing has settled into a handful of reliable online outlets and, amazingly, vinyl has made a resurgence. In January, Sheetal Singh (the bass player) has lunch with Chris Streng (the singer) in Nevada City. They joke about putting out the record themselves but when Sheetal gets home she contacts Jake Hosek (guitar) and Andrea Caturegli (drums). Everyone is back on board, this record needs to finally be heard.
    WP64
    WP64
    Mystery Thread Deleter

DispositionIntransigent

Post by WP64 Mon Dec 07, 2020 4:37 pm

It is quite silly but when I was a young teenager I used to really look forward to the Pitchfork year end lists. It was always a great opportunity for me to discover new music and it would inspire me to listen to a bunch of albums and pass the time in the winter months. I remember discovering Ariel Pink this way when I was in high school, which sent me down a rabbit hole of bedroom pop like R. Stevie Moore.

This year the #1 track is "WAP."
    BGwaves
    BGwaves

Post by BGwaves Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:16 am

Just curious, what is your relationship to pop music?
    Duff...
    Duff...

DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:04 pm

WP64 wrote:
    This year the #1 track is "WAP."

Hey, cool.
    WP64
    WP64
    Mystery Thread Deleter

DispositionIntransigent

Post by WP64 Tue Dec 08, 2020 3:21 pm

BGwaves wrote:Just curious, what is your relationship to pop music?
    It oscillates. I don't really have very strong opinions about it. I think the "poptimist" phase that really occurred in earnest sometime in the middle of the last decade was basically the beginning of the end of alternative music. It is really problematic when the gatekeepers of marginal cultural niches decide that actually everything they've cultivated is just dour bullshit in comparison to Ariana Grande, Beyonce, etc. I listen to a lot of hip-hop and pop music but I don't think it should be taken very seriously and I think a lot of it is deeply regressive and culturally problematic.

I just wish that Pitchfork didn't feel a need to engage with a lot of this stuff to be honest.
    Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Post by Nick Tue Dec 08, 2020 3:29 pm

Pitchfork didn’t feel the need or particularly want to engage with those artists as much as they currently do until they hired people that understood digital advertising, site metrics and selling their audience to potential advertisers. Once that money started rolling in I’m guessing acquisition discussions picked up and the purchase price would go up if they expanded coverage of more mainstream artists. Either way it was bound to happen no matter who bought them.

Anyway, I listened to 5 albums this year from their Top 50 which has to be my lowest total ever. I don’t have much interest diving into the ones I missed. I prefer The Quietus top 100 and how they’re the opposite end of the spectrum and push some super obscure and challenging stuff.
    Gene Bootcut
    Gene Bootcut
    A fanatic of the sketch genre

Pizzas : 441

Post by Gene Bootcut Tue Dec 08, 2020 7:14 pm

Yeah, I honestly don't know if I've ever read a Pitchfork eoy (I think the 70s list is a pretty good summary of the Alternative Canon or w/e) but I generally enjoy the Quietus lists and I'm gonna dive into it now, thanks for reminding me.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:24 am