+6
jesus jones
undo
zappo
Gene Bootcut
WP64
chrondog
10 posters

I don't like people that much and yet people who seem to like dogs more than people still creep me out

chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Pizzas : 342

I don't like people that much and yet people who seem to like dogs more than people still creep me out Empty I don't like people that much and yet people who seem to like dogs more than people still creep me out

Post by chrondog Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:12 pm

What's up with people being obsessed with dogs in the 21st century? Every time I see someone on Tinder say "just here to hang out with your dog" or a dude who has a hundred Instagram posts with his dog I think that person is crazy. The compulsion to spend all of your waking energy on a dog doesn't resonate with me at all.

Talk about how you feel about dogs in this thread.

Honestly, in the last few years I've felt the urge to get a dog more than I ever have in my life. As a kid I never liked dogs much and actually resented them because my neighbors stupid dog killed my cat once when I was young. I've been around so many people, especially women, who love dogs so much. I've met some cool dogs. I had a dream about getting a dog once or twice. But I still get viscerally disgusted when I see a person fawning over a dog. For whatever reason it doesn't sit well with me.
    WP64
    WP64
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Pizzas : 65
    DispositionIntransigent

I don't like people that much and yet people who seem to like dogs more than people still creep me out Empty Re: I don't like people that much and yet people who seem to like dogs more than people still creep me out

Post by WP64 Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:18 am

I love my dog. It's fun to just hang out on a Friday night and read while he snores next to me in bed, which is what I did tonight.

People get carried away, but there are worse things.
    Gene Bootcut
    Gene Bootcut
    A fanatic of the sketch genre

Pizzas : 441

I don't like people that much and yet people who seem to like dogs more than people still creep me out Empty Re: I don't like people that much and yet people who seem to like dogs more than people still creep me out

Post by Gene Bootcut Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:18 am

I don't like cats more than people but being British I find it a lot easier to demonstrate my affection for them eh

Dogs are whatever but for some reason none of the British ones seem to kill cats so I got no issue. There's a passage in this one Philip Roth book (Portnoy's Complaint maybe?) about how unreasonably irritated the protagonist becomes when people talk to their dogs as though they were people and I can definitely see where hes coming from
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Post by chrondog Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:56 pm

I don't like people that much and yet people who seem to like dogs more than people still creep me out Img_0410
    zappo
    zappo
    Supermasculine Menial

Pizzas : 870

Post by zappo Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:31 pm

I love dogs. Just saved my neighbor's hound from a possum and then rubbed her (the dog's) belly once the chaos was over. She's a stinky, good girl.
    undo
    undo
    Internet's Busiest Music Nerd

Pizzas : 1137

Post by undo Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:56 pm

I need to get a dog but I don't want one until I have a yard for it to run in.

And by run I mean take a shit.
    jesus jones
    jesus jones
    Tub of Lemon Chobani

Pizzas : 259

Post by jesus jones Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:20 pm

dogs are great. they're so joyul and dumb that "hanging out with dogs" essentially means "finding the good parts of our generally awful existence." i think people really want comfort right now and dogs provide a really uncomplicated version of that.
    WP64
    WP64
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Pizzas : 65
    DispositionIntransigent

Post by WP64 Sat Mar 11, 2017 3:43 am

I'm in bed right now and my bichon-poodle is snoring really loud next to me. Wondering what he is dreaming about. Probably something really cool!
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

Pizzas : 992
    DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:34 am

jesus jones wrote:dogs are great. they're so joyul and dumb that "hanging out with dogs" essentially means "finding the good parts of our generally awful existence." i think people really want comfort right now and dogs provide a really uncomplicated version of that.
    This is on point. I've actually been thinking about this a lot lately, and I came to the conclusion that the thing most people really want is just to love and to be loved unconditionally. Peoples' myriad quirks and complications make this really hard to do. Dogs are just these ridiculous little balls of unconditional love that can serve as a consolation prize when we fail to get what we truly wanted out of life.
    Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Pizzas : 978

Post by Nick Sat Mar 11, 2017 1:29 pm

I was up at 6AM and the first time either of my cats paid attention to me was at 10:05 when one of them walked by, rubbed his face against my calf and started purring.

That is more real life than any dog bullshit.
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Post by chrondog Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:48 pm

Ned Braden wrote:I've actually been thinking about this a lot lately, and I came to the conclusion that the thing most people really want is just to love and to be loved unconditionally. Peoples' myriad quirks and complications make this really hard to do. Dogs are just these ridiculous little balls of unconditional love that can serve as a consolation prize when we fail to get what we truly wanted out of life.

i can this see on an emotional level, even though i would find it tedious over the long term. on an intellectual level it would be absolutely zero comfort to me that animals that have been inbreed to such a level of stupidity are showing me unconditional love. it's empty in the same way that casual sex can be. the love of an uncritical dog does not substitute for an inability to be loved by people with real faculties.

Nick, that sounds cute!
    jesus jones
    jesus jones
    Tub of Lemon Chobani

Pizzas : 259

Post by jesus jones Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:20 pm

chrondog wrote:
    Ned Braden wrote:I've actually been thinking about this a lot lately, and I came to the conclusion that the thing most people really want is just to love and to be loved unconditionally. Peoples' myriad quirks and complications make this really hard to do. Dogs are just these ridiculous little balls of unconditional love that can serve as a consolation prize when we fail to get what we truly wanted out of life.

i can this see on an emotional level, even though i would find it tedious over the long term. on an intellectual level it would be absolutely zero comfort to me that animals that have been inbreed to such a level of stupidity are showing me unconditional love. it's empty in the same way that casual sex can be. the love of an uncritical dog does not substitute for an inability to be loved by people with real faculties.

Nick, that sounds cute!

it doesn't get tedious. navigating the emotional complexity of humans is exhausting. if you're solely into intellectualizing pet ownership, you probably shouldn't have a pet.
    coyote
    coyote
    A classically handsome man's man in the Huey Lewis mold

Pizzas : 99

Post by coyote Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:52 pm

Twice I have been attacked by dogs
    And the owners always lied and
    Never took my side.
    A customers toy poodle was killed
    By a bigger dog that ran across the street
    To attack her defenseless dog
    The owners lied over and over again
    To protect their dog to the point
    Of smearing the nice old lady

I don't mind dogs but don't trust any dog
    Owners any longer
    zappo
    zappo
    Supermasculine Menial

Post by zappo Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:32 pm

I was mauled by a dog, as a kid. Motherfucker just about tore my face off. I wasn't really his biggest fan, but I'm still down with hounds at large.
    zappo
    zappo
    Supermasculine Menial

Post by zappo Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:33 pm

Not saying that to argue with you, Avec. Just commenting on my own experiences and philosophy.
    zappo
    zappo
    Supermasculine Menial

Post by zappo Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:33 pm

The dog in question was euthanized at the owners' behest.
    Bruegel
    Bruegel
    basically just a wordier, shittier sausage blurb

Pizzas : 453

Post by Bruegel Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:32 pm

coyote wrote:
    I don't mind dogs but don't trust any dog
    Owners any longer

this is me.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:57 am