White SOX

Marty
    Marty
    Complex Writer

Pizzas : -1
    DispositionBad Ass

White SOX Empty White SOX

Post by Marty Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:07 pm

History: was once a huge fan as a kid and the 1990s through 2005 or so. I used to go to 35+ games a year. One day, I was in the bullpen bar and I gazed up through my beer goggles and saw the "intro". The "tradition"? I asked myself, "what is my tradition?" The answer was horseshit, and using the park as a place to get shit faced. Even a horrendous organization like the SOX get lucky every 100 years. 2005 was an over achievement: the stars just aligned behind an amazing run of starting pitching. It will be another 100 til that kind of luck strikes again. 3005!

White SOX aren't a real team. The White SOX are a minor league team that shares revenue with the MLB to stay solvent and wealthy. That's why you see 950 people in the seats. This current team will never be anything special. Look at the Yankees! Boston: back to the top after a rebuild, every time.

As an average SOX fan: 1. I haven't watched one minute of the SOX in 4 years running, and 2. I probably won't ever go to another game. Now, that's a fan base! Since the White SOX are a minor league organization playing on an MLB field, they play every night to an empty stadium. And, I don't want to hear "that doesn't matter", because it does: and, nobody on the team is going to care about winning until they have a fan base. I play a lot of gigs, and let me tell you: last Summer in front of 500 was a LOT better show than Q Bar in January in front of 30. Don't tell me for one minute those players play as hard as a team with an enthusiastic fan base.

That's my opinion. And, you know what? If they build that stadium in the S. Loop instead: it would be half full every game. Idiots.
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

Pizzas : 988
    DispositionRock Guitars

White SOX Empty Re: White SOX

Post by Ned Braden Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:34 pm

Go Sox!
    tjenz
    tjenz
    Bass Player from Creepy D

Pizzas : 77

Post by tjenz Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:28 am

I was reading an article recently about how the Sox almost moved to Seattle, in the mid 70's.

Seattle buyer(s) were going to buy the Sox and move the whole organization and re-name the team. The other part of the deal, Charlie Finely, who owned the A's, was going to move the A's to Chicago and take over the White Sox name. The White Sox owner wanted too much $$ for Comiskey Park and that killed the deal.

Internet's Busiest Music Nerd

Pizzas : 1133

Post by undo Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:43 pm

Reinsdorf is trying his best here.
    Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Pizzas : 977

Post by Nick Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:52 am

The Ringer had a good long read a few weeks ago on how loaded the Sox farm system is and the potential talent that could emerge. I don’t care enough to go find the link but search it out if you want to kill 15 minutes.
    zappo
    zappo
    Supermasculine Menial

Pizzas : 870

Post by zappo Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:56 am

Yeah, they've definitely done an excellent job setting themselves up for the future. You never know how any of that will play out, of course, but it sure does look like a lot of help is on the way.
    techno raj
    techno raj
    Tub of Lemon Chobani

Pizzas : 228

Post by techno raj Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:06 pm

The whole financial structure of the MLB strongly encourages hard tanking when not competing. I don't like it either but it's basically a league-wide problem, not something specific to the Sox. Other teams (Padres, Marlins, etc.) have recently or are currently doing exactly the same thing.

There are some special players on the current team / coming soon through the system, but it remains to be seen if management can surround them with other useful players and not screw it up like they did with the Sale/Quintana/Eaton window.
    Marty
    Marty
    Complex Writer

DispositionBad Ass

Post by Marty Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:39 am

Sports suck and are in a major decline.
    Marty
    Marty
    Complex Writer

DispositionBad Ass

Post by Marty Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:42 am

raj gibson wrote:There are some special players on the current team

I looked and didn't see much. Zero pitching, 1B who is slightly above average: who will be the best player on the team for the next few years. (and, we all know the SOX way is to glorify an above average player, and make him seem elite: AKA Konerko)

Who do you think is special?
    tjenz
    tjenz
    Bass Player from Creepy D

Pizzas : 77

Post by tjenz Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:22 am

Konerko was a very good player. I don't think he's HoF good, but almost.
    400+ homers and he's number 139 all time, for hits by a MLB player.

Tub of Lemon Chobani

Pizzas : 228

Post by techno raj Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:49 pm

I looked and didn't see much. Zero pitching, 1B who is slightly above average: who will be the best player on the team for the next few years. (and, we all know the SOX way is to glorify an above average player, and make him seem elite: AKA Konerko)

Who do you think is special?

Jose Abreu averages like 3-4 WAR a year is much better than average. I know some people are relatively skeptical of Moncada but he's already improving and I think his floor is solid starter, ceiling is MVP.

Zero pitching, I don't know, I think at least one of Giolito or Lopez will round into a mid-rotation presence. Kopech is doing everything in his power to prove he's going to be good too.

That said, they have a ways to go and I agree fans should not lightly write off the failures of the last few years.
    Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Post by Nick Sun Nov 05, 2023 12:49 pm

Fucking bleak times for the White Sox. I knew the Tim Anderson break was coming but still sucks. He had a poor season but when he was healthy and playing well he was among the best in the league.

ESPN is already ranking them as the worst team in the league next season. I guess they’ll be awful for the foreseeable future unless they manage to outperform expectations. Which will only piss off Reinsdorff and he’d figure out a way to sabotage progress.
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Sun Nov 05, 2023 1:02 pm

I haven't watched baseball in more than a decade and struggle to name more than ten players currently playing, so my opinion is pretty worthless.

One of the things I thought I did know was that this Tim Anderson guy was a legit player, maybe one of the best in the league. How did I arrive at this opinion? Because he was on the cover of some video game? I would stop and watch any time I saw a game at home or out on a TV at a bar or whatever and I'd watch his at bats and... I don't think one of them ever had a positive outcome.
    BGwaves
    BGwaves
    equal parts Skrillex, T. Rex, Ed Kowalczyk, Joe Dumars, Outkast, and Kate Bush

Pizzas : 280
    DispositionBLACK..... coffee in bed

Post by BGwaves Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:44 pm

I’m blown away that we still haven’t paid for the Sox stadium (whatever it’s called) since 1989. Now teinasorf is making veiled threats to sell the team if he doesn’t get his funding? Bleak indeed.
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Fri Feb 23, 2024 1:52 am

Other than Donald Trump, Reinsdorf is probably #1 on my, I hope that guy dies list.
    Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Post by Nick Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:43 am

He’s going to get his new stadium and it will probably be a beautiful place to watch baseball. But it will mean he ensures the team is awful until the move happens and it will mean abandoning the neighborhood the current stadium is in rather than trying to invest there and develop that portion of the city and create jobs.
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Fri Feb 23, 2024 5:36 pm

Ned Braden wrote:[this guy] is probably #1 on my, I hope that guy dies list.

Lately, this is where my thoughts eventually end up when it comes to most things.
    Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Post by Nick Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:21 pm

Sox posting new food options for the season on Instagram this week might already be the height of my excitement for the season.
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Sat Mar 23, 2024 8:50 pm

Nick wrote:Sox posting new food options for the season on Instagram this week might already be the height of my excitement for the season.

Fuck!
    That s'mores milkshake.
    GIF of me blowing a load in my pants or whatever.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:12 pm