headphone repair

undo
    undo
    Internet's Busiest Music Nerd

Pizzas : 1133

headphone repair Empty headphone repair

Post by undo Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:55 pm

headphone repair Sennhe10

The Sennheiser HD 239 (and its predecessor, the HD 238) are no longer produced and don't seem to be for sale anywhere online. This is a shame because they are the most comfortable pair of headphones I've ever owned, and (in my opinion) sound great.

They were also like $99 so they're not audiophile quality or price, and real connoisseurs of headphone culture might scoff at the idea of anyone being proud to own them. Fuck that, I got great use out of these for about three years before and was very satisfied with my purchase. I do not enjoy the feeling of having cups/cans over my ears, I enjoy this (open ear?) design and the padding on this model just feels great. I usually used them for listening to digital music on my iPod touch (RIP) and the iPhone that took its place. I would use it with my current phone but about a year ago they started having problems and now one side is totally silent.

I've never taken anything apart like this and tried to figure out the problem. The side where the cable connects still works, but the other side is dead. Is the problem somewhere in between, or more likely with some connection directly to/at the speaker on the side that's not working? Whatever the problem, it was surely caused by the cable getting caught on stuff over and over again--doorknobs, chair arms, oven dials, etc. I don't want to switch to wireless earbuds.

Do I need a soldering iron? Do you need a certain amount of practice with a soldering iron before trying to repair something with it?

I don't want to throw these out, they don't make them anymore.

Last edited by undo on Tue May 25, 2021 2:22 am; edited 1 time in total
    BGwaves
    BGwaves
    equal parts Skrillex, T. Rex, Ed Kowalczyk, Joe Dumars, Outkast, and Kate Bush

Pizzas : 280
    DispositionBLACK..... coffee in bed

headphone repair Empty Re: headphone repair

Post by BGwaves Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:34 pm

You could definitely try to fix them. It’s the type of soldering job that doesn't require micro-soldering skills. With that being said, most headphones that Ive ripped apart require you to get at screws which are under the foam padding. The foam padding rarely comes off smoothly and is often times not replaceable. Check for parts (foam padding replacement) on eBay before you do anything. Although, in this case most of what you might find is prob used. If you’re careful when you’re removing the padding you can reuse your own. Also, the wiring for the speakers typically run inside the piece that rests on your head and retreading those cables can be a pain in the ass. For example, in beats headphones the wires run along that piece but zigzag making it SUPER difficult to get it to sit exactly how it looked was taken apart. YouTube will likely have any tutorials you might need but if not check ifixit.com
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Tue May 25, 2021 12:15 am

That is a great fucking post, thank you

I still have these headphones but never fixed them. But never say never
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Tue May 25, 2021 2:19 am

headphone repair 41sjo010

Almost 4 years ago I bought a pair of Bowers & Wilkins P3s and they also feature a padding design that's open and not cupped. These sounded very good. I think I finally killed the right side speaker/connection and this design really does not look user-friendly to try to repair.
    Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Pizzas : 977

Post by Nick Mon Jul 18, 2022 10:46 pm

I don’t understand why kids these days talk to each other with ear buds in. Seems very rude to just live your life with music playing while talking to a peer.

stay frosty
    Duff...
    Duff...
    Current Bass Player of UFO

Pizzas : 806
    DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Tue Jul 19, 2022 12:27 am

lol, every once in a while I think of a SOMB post from what must be at least 10 years ago now saying more or less the same thing. Didn't come with a custom Biden emoji though.
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

Pizzas : 988
    DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Tue Jul 19, 2022 11:41 am

I hate new phones without headphone jacks. Total fucking bullshit.
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

Pizzas : 988
    DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Sun Sep 25, 2022 2:46 am

Any of you ever have really nice headphones that do the typical thing where one ear stops playing? Do you just like… buy new ones or do you send them away to get “serviced?” Do wireless headphones pull this shit? As much as I hate the idea of wireless headphones, if the answer is no maybe I’ll buy some.

BGwaves
    BGwaves
    equal parts Skrillex, T. Rex, Ed Kowalczyk, Joe Dumars, Outkast, and Kate Bush

Pizzas : 280
    DispositionBLACK..... coffee in bed

Post by BGwaves Sun Sep 25, 2022 10:36 am

I think only ear buds are separate units, if you’re buying traditional headphones I imagine they’re still wired in between each other. When you’re looking around you should use ‘modular’ in all of your searches. I think there is a brand that does modular headphones where each piece is replaceable but I believe they’re expensive as hell.

Another way to do it is when you find the brand you want, check YouTube or ifixit for tutorials on fixing them. You’ll get to see the insides and that can kinda tell you if they will be repairable in the future. Also, this isn’t as much work as it sounds, just a few clicks and sifting through some repair bullshit. You just need the visuals, nothing else.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:38 pm