WP64
    WP64
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Pizzas : 65
    DispositionIntransigent

Lysol Slammers - Page 6 Empty Re: Lysol Slammers

Post by WP64 Fri May 22, 2020 11:02 pm

undo wrote:
    WP64 wrote:How is everyone else holding up?

Feel like I can't complain, but not too well.
    Please use this space for any and all complaints. It is true that this virus is impacting communities and families in very disproportionate ways that reflect the existing inequities and injustices in our society. Both the most vulnerable and most essential members of our society are being impacted the most, which is really devastating. At the same time, this is a social event that is impacting all of our social lives and mental condition as humans in a really profound and unprecedented way. It makes me feel better to check in with people and just to make sure everyone is still hanging in but I would happily read any long form posts any of you might want to make about your personal experience dealing with this crisis over the last couple months.
    Duff...
    Duff...
    Current Bass Player of UFO

Pizzas : 806
    DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Sat May 23, 2020 7:09 pm

zappo wrote:Protester in Algonquin, IL.  Photo credit: my big, fat friend named Dan.  Yikes.

Lysol Slammers - Page 6 95142510

Guess I thought this but never posted it: If this woman's a nurse I'm Mickey Mouse.
    WP64
    WP64
    Mystery Thread Deleter

DispositionIntransigent

Post by WP64 Sat May 23, 2020 10:05 pm

That's probably true, but apparently there are an upsetting number of nurses and hospital staff who are surprisingly under-trained and susceptible to weird alt-medicine and conspiracy theory shit. I don't know how nurses are trained/socialized but this is something that I have heard doctors mention every now and then.
    undo
    undo
    Internet's Busiest Music Nerd

Pizzas : 1133

Post by undo Sat May 23, 2020 11:20 pm

You'd think that healthcare would attract people who believe in science or who are extra-empathic towards people who are suffering but I assure you there's nothing remarkable about the field in either regard.
    WP64
    WP64
    Mystery Thread Deleter

DispositionIntransigent

Post by WP64 Sun May 24, 2020 1:19 am

In general, that is probably the case. The country's largest nurses union was the most vocal labor organization supporting Bernie Sanders in 2016 and 2020 and they are big proponents of Medicare-for-All. Going forward I really hope left-wing organizers stop fetishizing the industrial proletarian working class in heavy-industry and manufacturing, which is a dumb holdover of twentieth century politics (and crude forms of Marxism). Generally speaking, both public and private workers employed in areas of social reproduction (healthcare, education, assisted living, domestic workers, etc.) are both the most receptive to social democratic politics and are (fortunately in this case) some of the fastest growing sectors of our service-based national economy.

So while there are probably a marginal number of nurses that think and believe in some offensively dumb shit that should basically be disqualifying within their profession, in general we should all be 100% pro-nurses.
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:34 pm

Duff... wrote:So my cousin, who's a nurse, caught the covids. Her mother, my aunt, has symptoms and got tested yesterday.

How are they doing?

And your mom, too. Cannot find a quotable post for this but I'm sure you said she'd caught it.
    Duff...
    Duff...

DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:39 pm

Thanks for asking. My mother is fine. Never formally got tested but she recovered. Last week we got into an argument after she said nurses and doctors are "hiding something" which ended in her angrily hanging up, so I haven't heard any updates on anyone else. I've heard my aunt is doing better, and I assume my cousin has recovered since I haven't heard anything about her. Haven't heard if my already sickly aunt tested positive or not, though I suspect I'd've heard about that by now.
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:17 am

https://mobile.twitter.com/ryanmasri_/status/1280195665302376453
    Michael K.
    Michael K.
    Fascist Groove Shark

Pizzas : 161
    Dispositionpickled

Post by Michael K. Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:33 pm

Can't imagine Applebee's expected that from their advertising dollar.
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:40 pm

"Nobody wants to put anybody at risk here. But we also have to think about the whole health of the child."

imlikewhoa
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:23 pm

How many people in the US will die of this?

We're not even across the halfway line, are we
    Duff...
    Duff...

DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:10 pm

Apparently we're talking 400,000 by 2021. It's bad out there, man.
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:23 am

By... January 1? Or at some point in the whole year?
    Duff...
    Duff...

DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:21 am

Jan 1. Hopefully that was something alarmist I heard 2nd hand (I'm forgetting the source at the moment).
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:26 pm

I remember watching a clip of Fox News (why, I don't know) back from like 2 weeks after Obama was first inaugurated and the host was like "I agree, there's no doubt about it. This is officially Obama's recession!" and I'm kind of anticipating the same thing to happen with Biden's pandemic ("the Biden Virus," they will call it). From day one, the same people who brushed off Trump's responsibility of taking any actions whatsoever will be calling for Joe's head and saying he has blood on his hands and must pay the price.
    Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Pizzas : 977

Post by Nick Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:46 pm

This vague “advises” shit from Lightfoot is insane. I can’t believe someone worse than Rahm is actually in office. Maybe I can believe it actually.
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Thu Nov 12, 2020 6:01 pm

Nick wrote:This vague “advises” shit from Lightfoot is insane. I can’t believe someone worse than Rahm is actually in office. Maybe I can believe it actually.

This got my mom to cancel Thanksgiving
    Duff...
    Duff...

DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Fri Nov 13, 2020 12:02 pm

What's wrong with it?
    WP64
    WP64
    Mystery Thread Deleter

DispositionIntransigent

Post by WP64 Fri Nov 13, 2020 1:01 pm

I don't really follow these announcements very closely but it seems like the State of Illinois should have been imposing new guidelines and rolling back the phases about a month ago at the very least. In fairness to Pritzker and Lightfoot (although I am really not interested in doing that), their hands are tied by the budgetary constraints placed on state and municipal governments. Without federal assistance and fiscal relief, the state is literally going to struggle to meet its debt liabilities. Unfortunately, the State does not have the same monetary mechanisms as the federal government because there is no equivalent to the Central Bank, which can relax interest rates and buy up public assets to resolve illiquidity problems and prevent the threat of temporary fiscal insolvency. The Fair Tax was one way around this problem because it would have provided Illinois with a supplemental revenue stream but we know what happened there.

So yeah, they've done a poor job managing this second wave but also what the fuck can they really be expected to do. There is no guidance from the federal government. All of the surrounding states in the region have basically just been on a never-ending first wave because their governors think wearing a mask means you are a pussy or whatever. And on top of all that, imposing another lockdown would be a huge drain on public coffers and it would basically mean that the fucking bond vigilantes would start coming for our goddamn state health benefits and public pension system.
    Duff...
    Duff...

DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Sat Nov 14, 2020 10:38 pm

Jesus, they got Jeremih.
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

Pizzas : 988
    DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Sun Nov 15, 2020 3:43 am

Fuck. I hope he’s ok.
    Duff...
    Duff...

DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Sun Nov 15, 2020 3:46 pm

Yeah. It was looking bleak last night. Keep thinking I'm gonna see a news alert with bad news.
    jesus jones
    jesus jones
    Tub of Lemon Chobani

Pizzas : 259

Post by jesus jones Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:19 pm

this is so fucking bleak
    Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Pizzas : 977

Post by Nick Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:52 pm

I can’t help but be a little suspicious about the vaccine news. Yes, we need a vaccine but just because this initial report shows a high success rate what does that mean for a global population?

Maybe someone more well read on this can educate me. But there seems like a lot that still needs to be worked out. Costs, production, distribution and whatever extensive tracking/proof of vaccination that will inevitably follow.

What the fuck does it look like when a vaccine is rolled out and we are told to go get it? Hours of waiting?
    WP64
    WP64
    Mystery Thread Deleter

DispositionIntransigent

Post by WP64 Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:55 pm

It has the potential to be a logistical nightmare but global supply chains have been preparing for the distribution of the vaccine for months now. For example, the vaccines need to be kept in special glass vials and stored at frigid, sub-zero temperatures. There are very few specialized glassmakers in the world that are capable of mass producing these vials but several months ago a German and Italian firm accepted a contract and have basically shifted their entire supply chain to the production of these objects. Also, while Trump has done almost everything possible to destroy the credibility and weaken the multilateral institutions capable of actually distributing these vaccines to developing and emerging countries, they have been preparing for this for a long time and there is actually a surprising degree of international solidarity. China has promised that any vaccine would be distributed at cost to developing countries, for example. There has been movements by G20 countries to suspend debt repayments so that these developing nations aren't forced to subject their abject public health institutions to even more austerity during this period. None of this is perfect but I am actually pretty optimistic.

I think the more unnerving aspect is just going to be educating the public to actually take the goddamn vaccine. If not enough people are inoculated the first time around, this virus will continue to circulate through the population and eventually mutate, rendering any vaccine we have developed totally useless. We have already had one mutation scare in Denmark, which has almost forced the country to cull all of the animals and incinerate them. The worry is that the mutated form latched onto human cells through a different spike protein.

The vaccine developed by BioNTech uses mRNA technology, which is the first ever vaccine of its type. The typical flu vaccine is just an injection of low doses of the season flu so that your body develops immunity. The risk, of course, is that you can just develop the actual flu (which does happen to some people). In this case, the vaccine will actually be sending a set of instructions to the protein cells and signaling pathways in your body that prevents the Covid spike protein from latching onto human cells. I am not a molecular biologist so take all of this information with a grain of salt but that is more or less how it works.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:54 am