Real Urban Answers

John Boy Walton
    John Boy Walton
    Right Wing Savage

Pizzas : 2
    DispositionFUGLY

Real Urban Answers Empty Real Urban Answers

Post by John Boy Walton Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:36 pm

I was listening to WVON again last night and I feel so badly for the people whose neighborhoods were recently destroyed by a small, violent minority. They may never be rebuilt. I understand defund as a mantra, because you have to re-allocate resources for mental health etc, social programs etc, etc or it will be a never ending cycle. Can that really work in a place like Chicago, which is so segregated and racist in it's very construct? Think: Madigan types just steal the resources: and the streets get even worse.

I just read a FB post from a friend saying that cops create violence in these neighborhoods, "using people of color as target practice" and turning a blind eye. He said that they are lazy and inactive and work to protect that prerogative by the union, which is comprised largely of racists who want these neighborhoods to be violent. Does anyone know anything about that? Is that really true?

I know that I have read about things such as rape statistics on poor urban women that sounded pretty staggering. Do you all believe the police are terrorizing these neighborhoods? Is that why people want defund? Is it really all about breaking down a system that is more sinister than I may realize?
    John Boy Walton
    John Boy Walton
    Right Wing Savage

DispositionFUGLY

Real Urban Answers Empty Re: Real Urban Answers

Post by John Boy Walton Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:59 pm

https://www.facebook.com/RBReich/videos/338216247174826

This is a pretty good video on the subject.
    John Boy Walton
    John Boy Walton
    Right Wing Savage

DispositionFUGLY

Post by John Boy Walton Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:08 pm

https://www.facebook.com/terrencekwilliams/videos/601616240763816

If you get past the first part of this and listen to the dude, those are the people I was talking about on WVON.
    Duff...
    Duff...
    Current Bass Player of UFO

Pizzas : 806
    DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:56 am

Eh, whatever.

John Boy Walton wrote:
    I just read a FB post from a friend saying that cops create violence in these neighborhoods, "using people of color as target practice" and turning a blind eye. He said that they are lazy and inactive and work to protect that prerogative by the union, which is comprised largely of racists who want these neighborhoods to be violent. Does anyone know anything about that? Is that really true?

So FOP Lodge 7 had an election a few months back. Their president was a contemptible, lawless, racist, reactionary asshole. He lost reelection because he wasn't contemptible, lawless, racist, reactionary, or assholish enough, judging by the thug who replaced him, who actually was under suspension at the time of the election. I can't say whether all or most or even many officers actually want violence in these communities, but it's clear as fucking day that they resent even the suggestion that a single one of them be subject to a moment's scrutiny or accountability.

Also, I need to hear a single thing Terrence K Williams has to say like I need a fucking hole in my head.
    John Boy Walton
    John Boy Walton
    Right Wing Savage

DispositionFUGLY

Post by John Boy Walton Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:50 pm

Duff... wrote:Eh, whatever.

John Boy Walton wrote:

So FOP Lodge 7 had an election a few months back. Their president was a contemptible, lawless, racist, reactionary asshole. He lost reelection because he wasn't contemptible, lawless, racist, reactionary, or assholish enough, judging by the thug who replaced him, who actually was under suspension at the time of the election. I can't say whether all or most or even many officers actually want violence in these communities, but it's clear as fucking day that they resent even the suggestion that a single one of them be subject to a moment's scrutiny or accountability.

Also, I need to hear a single thing Terrence K Williams has to say like I need a fucking hole in my head.

I hear you. But, I can also see that guys perspective (Terrance K Williams): who the hell am I to say he's wrong? I grew up in Tinley Park: I don't shit about his experiences. A friend of mine grew up in Cabrini and he "escaped against all odds" in his words, had a great family, and two Masters degrees: just an elite human. And, he couldn't have zero contact with anybody in his family from Cabrini it was that toxic. He couldn't even allow his family to have any contact, shit would always get stolen, etc. He sort of echo'd that dude you despise, but I am NOT saying your wrong.

It's all so polarizing and confusing to try and really understand. It reminds me of religion: I spent decades studying the subject and I probably knew more when I first started. And, technically, the 90s were a lot more violent from the statistics I am aware of... So, when people say "blue cities are destroyed", actually it looks like they made things better in terms of violence since the 90s.
    undo
    undo
    Internet's Busiest Music Nerd

Pizzas : 1133

Post by undo Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:09 pm

Real Urban Answers Resize12

Shocked
    Duff...
    Duff...

DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:00 pm

There's long been a market for dudes to tell white racists what they want to hear. Which isn't to say Williams and his ilk aren't sincere: Black people get to be terrible too. But we don't have to pay attention.

John Boy Walton
    John Boy Walton
    Right Wing Savage

DispositionFUGLY

Post by John Boy Walton Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:15 pm

ok so looking at undo's post here...

wtf is a real damn answer, anybody got one? not some bullshit answer, but a damn answer that makes some sense.

or do we just wait until the s. side of chicago looks like mad max?
    jesus jones
    jesus jones
    Tub of Lemon Chobani

Pizzas : 259

Post by jesus jones Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:39 pm

John Boy Walton wrote:Do you all believe the police are terrorizing these neighborhoods? Is that why people want defund? Is it really all about breaking down a system that is more sinister than I may realize?
    yes
    jesus jones
    jesus jones
    Tub of Lemon Chobani

Pizzas : 259

Post by jesus jones Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:39 pm

read these to begin with:
    https://medium.com/@m4blcomms/defunding-police-what-it-takes-to-end-police-violence-bb164a70e89b

https://www.feministes-radicales.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/Angela-Davis-Are_Prisons_Obsolete.pdf
    undo
    undo
    Internet's Busiest Music Nerd

Pizzas : 1133

Post by undo Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:33 pm

We're never gonna survive unless we get a little crazy
    Duff...
    Duff...

DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:18 pm

The Trib has an article today about urban disinvestment and its roots in policy going back to the 19th Century. It's not that there aren't answers, it's that people have to actually try them and stick with them.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:20 am