Ned Braden
undo
24 posters

[solved]American questions for British people

reuben
    reuben
    President Bannon

Pizzas : 710

[solved]American questions for British people - Page 6 Empty Re: [solved]American questions for British people

Post by reuben Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:15 pm

Raj I didn't know if your question was serious but I guess I just assumed that you've seen Local Hero and In the Loop.
    techno raj
    techno raj
    Tub of Lemon Chobani

Pizzas : 228

[solved]American questions for British people - Page 6 Empty Re: [solved]American questions for British people

Post by techno raj Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:29 pm

I have seen Local Hero and loved it, but it was over 10 years ago and I'd be hard-pressed to claim I distinctly remember the individual performances.

I have not seen In the Loop. Maybe I'll do a double-feature with that and Lair of the White Worm.
    reuben
    reuben
    President Bannon

Post by reuben Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:32 pm

Let's all liveboard The Lair of the White Worm!
    quip
    quip
    Jasper's Yurt of Enlightened Conversation

Pizzas : 74

Post by quip Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:02 pm

Are all British happy meal toys as good as this one? https://vine.co/v/hbLa7jXtJhE
    techno raj
    techno raj
    Tub of Lemon Chobani

Post by techno raj Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:16 am

reuben wrote:Let's all liveboard The Lair of the White Worm!

if people here ever want to liveboard a movie... just let me know, I will do that
    Pete Best
    Pete Best
    Solid Bro

Pizzas : 116
    DispositionSweet

Post by Pete Best Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:06 am

Yeah agree about the 7th series, while the only real stinker was the second one with modern Clara and all that signing, the only really good one was the Angels in Manhattan. Splitting the series in two for The Olympics killed the momentum and the arc was very weak compared to those in 5th and 6th which were very good.
    techno raj
    techno raj
    Tub of Lemon Chobani

Post by techno raj Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:37 am

Yeah, I wrote an email to a friend late last year that turned into a 1,000-word essay on the past few seasons of Dr. Who. Short version is that they sow the seeds for the seventh season's problems in the sixth season when they pass on a number of logical points for Amy and Rory to retire. Lack of two-part episodes (and the accompanying development of supporting characters) really hurts too.
    Pete Best
    Pete Best
    Solid Bro

DispositionSweet

Post by Pete Best Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:16 pm

There were at least two points for them to go, you'd imagine that if the 2012 series had been a whole one they'd have gone in the end and the run with Clara this year would also have been full.

The 50th anniversary show is sure to be great however.
    ClosetOfExhaustion
    ClosetOfExhaustion
    Have You Heard?

Pizzas : 275
    Dispositiondisposed

Post by ClosetOfExhaustion Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:57 am

Did any of you support the 2010 effort "Cage Against the Machine" to get John Cage's 4'33" to top the charts as the Christmas Number One?
    undo
    undo
    Internet's Busiest Music Nerd

Pizzas : 1138

Post by undo Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:34 am

[solved]American questions for British people - Page 6 SiOVdgQ
    Pete Best
    Pete Best
    Solid Bro

DispositionSweet

Post by Pete Best Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:13 am

ClosetOfExhaustion wrote:Did any of you support the 2010 effort "Cage Against the Machine" to get John Cage's 4'33" to top the charts as the Christmas Number One?
    Yep.
    Pete Best
    Pete Best
    Solid Bro

DispositionSweet

Post by Pete Best Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:14 am

undo wrote:[solved]American questions for British people - Page 6 SiOVdgQ
    #nailedit
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:36 am

ever been to this restaurant

http://londonreviewofsandwiches.wordpress.com/2013/08/21/bacon-sandwich-at-love-walk-cafe-camberwell/
    Bruegel
    Bruegel
    basically just a wordier, shittier sausage blurb

Pizzas : 453

Post by Bruegel Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:55 am

No. Sounds appalling. I've got a couple of mates from work who live in Camberwell so I'll ask/warn them.

The last dude in the comments mentions my favourite caff in London - Pellici's in Bethnal Green. A proper old greasy spoon run by the same family for 100+ years.
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Pizzas : 342

Post by chrondog Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:43 pm

you have any links on a brief history of the cultural cache of "bacon sandwiches" in British culture?

heard enough Harry Redknapp bacon sandwich jokes that i just need to know where this fascination comes from
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:57 am

Are all "skinheads" racist?

If not, why would someone try to join them or identify as one?

I guess we have them in America, too, but I don't know if it's the same culture.
    Duff...
    Duff...
    Current Bass Player of UFO

Pizzas : 809
    DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:03 pm

Someone was telling me last month about this skinhead he knew and apparently upon seeing the look on my face clarified, "Not the racist kind." So I too await a British answer to this American question.
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

Pizzas : 993
    DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Sat Sep 07, 2013 5:34 pm

Watching Lock Stock for the first time in like a decade and it's still cool as hell. Are the post-Snatch Richie films worth a shit? Or should I just stick to the complete Red Dwarf for my bit of British cultural experience?
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

Pizzas : 993
    DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:37 pm

^ I imagine at the time everybody was all "ooh shit it's the British Tarrentino!!!" Being oblivious is fun as fuck at times.
    reuben
    reuben
    President Bannon

Post by reuben Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:17 pm

Ned my mom really liked his Sherlock Holmes movies.
    Gene Bootcut
    Gene Bootcut
    A fanatic of the sketch genre

Pizzas : 441

Post by Gene Bootcut Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:44 am

I think the skinhead subculture was initially based around listening to black music but they left reggae behind when it started to develop themes of black nationalism that most of them couldn't relate to.

I also have no idea what I'm talking about but the Wikipedia article is a worthwhile read.
    Bruegel
    Bruegel
    basically just a wordier, shittier sausage blurb

Pizzas : 453

Post by Bruegel Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:21 am

there are still skins who identify with the original fashion/music subculture (traditional ska/rocksteady/reggae, turn ups, Ben Sherman shirts, braces, DMs etc.) It basically grew out of a mixing of working class mod and rude boy cultures.

although some of the National Front skins were diaspora from the original skins schism, mostly it was just racist/disaffected pricks reappropriating the look - mostly for the aggressive appearance/nazi legacy I suppose.

a film like This is England gives an interesting, if oversimplified, snapshot of the dichotomy.
    quip
    quip
    Jasper's Yurt of Enlightened Conversation

Pizzas : 74

Post by quip Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:38 am

I met a skinhead in college who was belligerently pro-semite. It took me awhile to wrap my head around that one but after watching him put himself in a hospital trying to break a bottle over his head, I realized that no matter what kind of skinhead you are, you are still an idiot.
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Pizzas : 342

Post by chrondog Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:13 am

i think being overly seriously invested in any subculture based on fashion and music is pretty fucking stupid

throw the ideology out the window, homie
    Gene Bootcut
    Gene Bootcut
    A fanatic of the sketch genre

Pizzas : 441

Post by Gene Bootcut Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:54 pm

Question for Bruegel, Mitchell, other Londoners: what's a really good, really classically English pub I can take my girlfriend to when she visits on the 11th?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:12 am