Ned Braden
undo
24 posters

[solved]American questions for British people

jesus jones
    jesus jones
    Tub of Lemon Chobani

Pizzas : 259

[solved]American questions for British people - Page 10 Empty Re: [solved]American questions for British people

Post by jesus jones Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:54 am

what's pub rock
    Bruegel
    Bruegel
    basically just a wordier, shittier sausage blurb

Pizzas : 453

[solved]American questions for British people - Page 10 Empty Re: [solved]American questions for British people

Post by Bruegel Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:11 am

Non-flashy mid-70s reaction to prog/stadium rock.

Small overheads, back-to-basics sound, dirty aesthetics, mainly focused on the London pub scene (Hope & Anchor on Upper Street in Islington was a hub)

A lot of the diy ethos fed into punk.
    undo
    undo
    Internet's Busiest Music Nerd

Pizzas : 1138

Post by undo Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:09 pm

Soma are you really in America?
    WP64
    WP64
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Pizzas : 65
    DispositionIntransigent

Post by WP64 Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:24 pm

Wait, why would we have allowed him in our country?
    Gene Bootcut
    Gene Bootcut
    A fanatic of the sketch genre

Pizzas : 441

Post by Gene Bootcut Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:05 pm

I'm not in America. I spent a week in Florida when I was 13 and remember very little about it. I'm not sure why I put that

Whether I'm still allowed to enter the country remains undetermined
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:34 pm

Soma wrote:The smoking pipes _ need you around

Sorry about the autocorrect

I wanted to ask if people know about this band in the UK.

For years I've wondered if, outside of a few months in 1995 or whatever, if anyone outside of Chicago really knew them at all.
    Duff...
    Duff...
    Current Bass Player of UFO

Pizzas : 809
    DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:02 pm

They shared the Clueless soundtrack with Radiohead and The Mighty Mighty Bosstones, I assume they did alright for a while there.
    Gene Bootcut
    Gene Bootcut

Post by Gene Bootcut Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:55 pm

undo wrote:
    Soma wrote:The smoking pipes _ need you around

Sorry about the autocorrect

I wanted to ask if people know about this band in the UK.

For years I've wondered if, outside of a few months in 1995 or whatever, if anyone outside of Chicago really knew them at all.

This doesn't answer your question, and for all I know the answer may be yes, but I only discovered them when I was reading a list of Morrissey's favourite albums on the Quietus.

Couldn't hum a second tune but I like that one a lot!
    Duff...
    Duff...

DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:09 am

They're local favorites. They raved about them from time to time on that radio show that brought us all together that most of you have never listened to. Watching JBTV right now and they just showed a clip of Vinnie from Sponge requesting the Popes, so I guess they made it as far as Detroit anyway. Destination Failure is a favorite of mine, and they have a really good live record from the 90s. They turned into a christian band called Duvall around the turn of the century, and they were pretty good, to point where it took me a long time to understand they became a christian band. It was kind of a big deal, at least among the radio station people, when they played our school. A girl I had a crush on at the time, who would shortly thereafter decide she preferred girls, had a crush on the guitarist Eli, who we watched make out with who we assumed was his girlfriend on a couch at the student center. A few years later they decided to stop doing christian songs and go as The Smoking Popes again, and they played around town a lot, and the ole lady is into them too so we ended up catching them a buncha times over a couple years there, at the Double Door, The Cubby Bear, the Wrigleyville Sausage Fest, etc. The newer records aren't great, but I still listen to Destination Failure a few times a year.

Anyway, here's a second tune to hum. I haven't found much else in music quite like that "WHOOOOOOAH-OH-OH-oh-oh" in the chorus, but then I first heard it as a teenager so I dunno.

ClosetOfExhaustion
    ClosetOfExhaustion
    Have You Heard?

Pizzas : 275
    Dispositiondisposed

Post by ClosetOfExhaustion Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:23 am

i enjoyed watching them at riot fest a couple years back. their local popularity coincided with my own developing interest in music, although i was sort of on the tail end of much of the mid/late 90s local explosion of popular stuff. was nice to get a chance to see them and hear those songs mentioned above that i hadn't heard in years.
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:56 pm

what is a student disco?
    Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Pizzas : 978

Post by Nick Thu May 24, 2018 11:51 am

On May 25 will GDPR do anything or is this last minute panic not necessary?
    quip
    quip
    Jasper's Yurt of Enlightened Conversation

Pizzas : 74

Post by quip Thu May 24, 2018 5:39 pm

It's necessary to the companies implementing the changes so they aren't fined millions of dollars for any infraction. As far as will it have any substantial, lasting changes in how data is collected, stored, and shared?

paddyograpes
    Gene Bootcut
    Gene Bootcut

Post by Gene Bootcut Wed May 30, 2018 9:45 pm

undo wrote:what is a student disco?

Something your school organises between the ages of 11 and 16 where you enjoy a sober dance to the top 40 hits of today and yesteryear.
    zappo
    zappo
    Supermasculine Menial

Pizzas : 870

Post by zappo Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:45 am

Do you guys hate us all for contributing so much to the ruination of the world?
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:05 pm

In the early days of the Internet, did you have AOL?

I'm shipping an ebay order to someone in the UK and they have an aol.com email address, which I guess anyone could get without ever actually having AOL but I just thought it was strange.
    Gene Bootcut
    Gene Bootcut

Post by Gene Bootcut Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:02 pm

Yeah, that's how we all connected to the internet bitd

techno raj
    techno raj
    Tub of Lemon Chobani

Pizzas : 228

Post by techno raj Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:01 pm

[solved]American questions for British people - Page 10 Animated-smileys-flags-113 Fuck it. Crying or Very sad
    techno raj
    techno raj
    Tub of Lemon Chobani

Pizzas : 228

Post by techno raj Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:03 pm

In all seriousness I hope Soma, Bruegel, and other UK LOPPers are OK and have stockpiled sufficient supplies like medicine (not even joking) for the coming months.
    Pete Best
    Pete Best
    Solid Bro

Pizzas : 116
    DispositionSweet

Post by Pete Best Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:17 pm

I bought a house last month. I have room to stockpile now.

Brexit is totally fucking stupid.
    Duff...
    Duff...

DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:04 pm

Godspeed on this ridiculous affair.
    Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Pizzas : 978

Post by Nick Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:35 am

Wait the Queen actually has power?!?!
    zappo
    zappo
    Supermasculine Menial

Pizzas : 870

Post by zappo Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:43 am

Lock her up!
    WP64
    WP64
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Pizzas : 65
    DispositionIntransigent

Post by WP64 Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:16 pm

Yeah, the fact that they still haven't abolished the Royal family and that they still function as a consultative body with real power in British society is the funniest and most retrograde bullshit in the world.
    Duff...
    Duff...

DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:02 pm

Fuck fuck fuck.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:31 pm