Ned Braden
undo
24 posters

[solved]American questions for British people

vIv
    vIv
    Volunteer worker

Pizzas : 89

[solved]American questions for British people - Page 4 Empty Re: [solved]American questions for British people

Post by vIv Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:05 am

No self-admiration intended in that post, Y. Loud or otherwise.  I don't really admire myself that much, tbh...I do tip well, though.  It's just reporting, not posturing...
    Gene Bootcut
    Gene Bootcut
    A fanatic of the sketch genre

Pizzas : 441

[solved]American questions for British people - Page 4 Empty Re: [solved]American questions for British people

Post by Gene Bootcut Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:23 am

I've never noticed any difference in the quality of service.

Last week I was at a Vietnamese restaurant and the tip was part of the bill. I hate that.
    reuben
    reuben
    President Bannon

Pizzas : 710

Post by reuben Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:43 pm

How can you show this kind of smut to children?

[solved]American questions for British people - Page 4 00898_peppa_pig_trio_jigsaw_2
    zappo
    zappo
    Supermasculine Menial

Pizzas : 870

Post by zappo Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:44 pm

Is there a cartoon about a family of chodes, now? What the fuck, mate?
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

Pizzas : 993
    DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:48 pm

Well, I'll be damned. Never noticed that Peppa's face looked like a dick till just now.
    reuben
    reuben
    President Bannon

Pizzas : 710

Post by reuben Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:53 pm

You should see her dad and grandpa.
    Gene Bootcut
    Gene Bootcut

Post by Gene Bootcut Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:59 pm

I don't know what TV show those pigs are from.
    Pete Best
    Pete Best
    Solid Bro

Pizzas : 116
    DispositionSweet

Post by Pete Best Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:16 pm

Peppa Pig is big news, my niece loves Peppa and is looking forward to a visit to Peppa Pig World.
    Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Pizzas : 978

Post by Nick Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:32 pm

Are the Brits excited about the Royal Baby or is this a media creation and most see it as one more inbred parasite that will bleed the nation dry?
    Pete Best
    Pete Best
    Solid Bro

DispositionSweet

Post by Pete Best Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:54 pm

This had been rolling news with no content what so ever for 12 hours today.

People are interested most people would say 'That's nice' I get the impression there's good will behind them but I think the media and especially The BBC in this country think it matters far more to people than it does.

We are a funny little country sometimes and this is one example of that.
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Pizzas : 342

Post by chrondog Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:12 pm

i was reading about the Belgian change of royalty this week and it seems to me that the under reported aspect of European royalty today is that they aren't really just figureheads. they are pretty seriously woven into government affairs in many nations and have vague and far reaching powers that they mostly never use.

the Dutch ethnic factions in Belgium trying to fight for a change from constitutional monarchy to republic are interesting. i would personally be politically offended if i lived under constitutional monarchy at this point.
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

Pizzas : 993
    DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:24 pm

Constitutional monarchy? Ya want that? huh? do ya?

Really feeling the need to revisit this show lately, even though it's already ingrained so deeply into my brain.
    zappo
    zappo
    Supermasculine Menial

Pizzas : 870

Post by zappo Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:51 pm

Gene Bootcut
    Gene Bootcut

Post by Gene Bootcut Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:50 pm

jasperness wrote: i would personally be politically offended if i lived under constitutional monarchy at this point.

This is how I've always felt.
    Pete Best
    Pete Best
    Solid Bro

DispositionSweet

Post by Pete Best Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:07 am

Living in a country where you get power from being in a certain family is annoying. Here it's not real power and it's just the Windsor. You've got Kennedy, Bush and Clinton.
    Pete Best
    Pete Best
    Solid Bro

DispositionSweet

Post by Pete Best Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:10 am

For the record Queen Elizabeth II I have a lot of time for, she has done a very good job of it. Charles is an interfering bastard and will probably ensure the monarch is dead before this young prince gets near the throne.
    yancy
    yancy
    equal parts Skrillex, T. Rex, Ed Kowalczyk, Joe Dumars, Outkast, and Kate Bush

Post by yancy Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:02 pm

Pete Best wrote:Living in a country where you get power from being in a certain family is annoying. Here it's not real power and it's just the Windsor. You've got Kennedy, Bush and Clinton.
    I would feel less ashamed if we had a true hereditary monarchy in this country. Bush Jr. still required votes from millions of idiots. At least you guys have an excuse.
    techno raj
    techno raj
    Tub of Lemon Chobani

Pizzas : 228

Post by techno raj Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:23 pm

For all its faults I'd be surprised if the American system is particularly unique compared to other systems in disproportionately rewarding heredity or turning a blind eye to nepotism. Old habits die hard, and passing power down through families is one of the oldest habits there is.
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Post by chrondog Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:29 pm

i see where you guys are going trying to turn this whole thing on its head, but let's be real here. constitutional monarchy is a concept much more egregious to personal freedom and democratic values than nepotism in a republic. you can say that, in practice, certain American political families have been very successful at gaining power through generations, but to say that is "real power" and being the Queen of England ain't shit is pretty silly. being a Windsor is much more powerful than being a Clinton, in terms of the hereditary power associated with that name. the fact that Bill, Hillary and Chelsea Clinton are by so many accounts, exceptional people, is separate from their name.
    Pete Best
    Pete Best
    Solid Bro

DispositionSweet

Post by Pete Best Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:02 pm

Yes, I agree I'd rather have some form of elected head of state than a monarch but other than in the constitutional sense it's very soft power. Yes, under the current system I can't be head of state but I don't feel that's a massive problem and infringement of my own rights.

Given a choice I'd rather keep the monarchy and have the House of Lords elected by proportional representation.
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Post by chrondog Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:42 pm

Pete Best wrote:Given a choice I'd rather keep the monarchy and have the House of Lords elected by proportional representation.

now that's another interesting beast all together

i'd love to do some deep reading on the powers of the House of Lords
    yancy
    yancy
    equal parts Skrillex, T. Rex, Ed Kowalczyk, Joe Dumars, Outkast, and Kate Bush

Post by yancy Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:57 pm

[solved]American questions for British people - Page 4 68

This is the only House of Lords I acknowledge.
    Duff...
    Duff...
    Current Bass Player of UFO

Pizzas : 809
    DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:51 pm

jasperness wrote:i see where you guys are going trying to turn this whole thing on its head, but let's be real here. constitutional monarchy is a concept much more egregious to personal freedom and democratic values than nepotism in a republic. you can say that, in practice, certain American political families have been very successful at gaining power through generations, but to say that is "real power" and being the Queen of England ain't shit is pretty silly. being a Windsor is much more powerful than being a Clinton, in terms of the hereditary power associated with that name. the fact that Bill, Hillary and Chelsea Clinton are by so many accounts, exceptional people, is separate from their name.
    I wanna poz this but I get nostalgic for a good negged Jasper post.
    ClosetOfExhaustion
    ClosetOfExhaustion
    Have You Heard?

Pizzas : 275
    Dispositiondisposed

Post by ClosetOfExhaustion Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:57 pm

i do wonder if jasper's opinion on political nepotism would change if he were a chicagoan.
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Post by chrondog Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:33 pm

i don't see what the fact that large areas of urban poor are susceptible to corruption has to do with the fact that monarchy creates, in theoretical terms, a less politically free society than a nepotistic republic.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:05 am