monotony
undo
6 posters

Whats it like being a "housekeeper"?

undo
    undo
    Internet's Busiest Music Nerd

Pizzas : 1132

Whats it like being a "housekeeper"? Empty Whats it like being a "housekeeper"?

Post by undo Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:31 am

do you really spend all day cleaning the house?
    monotony
    monotony
    Vanity-published Eco-horror Fiction Writer

Pizzas : 65

Whats it like being a "housekeeper"? Empty Re: Whats it like being a "housekeeper"?

Post by monotony Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:13 am

From what I understand (mostly from reading 19th century literature / Agatha Christie novels), the position would involve more than just cleaning - it'd be a "house management" sort of role. She (housekeepers are almost always women) would manage the other servants.

I don't know how many live in housekeepers there are nowadays. If there were any, they'd likely be involved with cooking as well as cleaning and other domestic chores.

Might refer to Duff on this one as the resident Downton Abbey expert.
    Duff...
    Duff...
    Current Bass Player of UFO

Pizzas : 806
    DispositionSunny.

Whats it like being a "housekeeper"? Empty Re: Whats it like being a "housekeeper"?

Post by Duff... Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:54 am

lol

If Downton is any indication and if I'm correct that it's Mrs. Hughes who has the title "housekeeper" than yeah, seems more a management position than anything else, at least in early 20th Century England. Would probably trust Christie or Austen (would you believe I've never read anything by her? Probably should change that.) more on the matter.

Modern day housekeepers I think go to several homes a day to clean, do laundry, etc.
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

Pizzas : 987
    DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:18 am

My illegal immigrant wife tried to get a cash paid job as a nanny and the lady she worked for ended up following some sort of 10 step plan to having your very own do-it-all housekeeper. Job continued to morph and take on new dimensions. By the end she expected her to clean, cook, run shopping/misc errands, etc. Having signed up to take care of a couple kids, she felt kind of cheated and manipulated. Ended up quitting despite the fact that she loved hanging out with the kids. Quitting was enabled by my ability to bring home the bacon, but I imagine many illegals looking to find off-the-books income would've stuck it out. Classic immigrant job.
    damo suzuki
    damo suzuki
    Still has http://lotsofpeopleposting.teensboards.com bookmarked

Pizzas : 61

Post by damo suzuki Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:26 pm

We had a housekeeper come in a few days a week for a bit. Usually they have multiple jobs/appointments. Unless you pay for their services like full time.

Mostly they do household chores as you outline. Not all housekeepers will do "whatever" you tell them to clean/do. Like some don't do laundry or cook. That's usually in their portfolio.
    undo
    undo
    Internet's Busiest Music Nerd

Pizzas : 1132

Post by undo Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:27 am

btw this is why I started the thread, not what you were expecting huh

chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Pizzas : 342

Post by chrondog Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:06 pm

me and my friend were literally raging at the television last night because of that fake sip at 0:20

who the hell do these B-vitamin peddlers think they are??

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:38 pm