Sandwich Chain Poll

Post by phixed on Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:07 pm

Potbelly's for me.

raj bigson
Volunteer worker

Pizzas: 110

Re: Sandwich Chain Poll

Post by raj bigson on Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:49 pm

Potbelly's or Panera I suppose. They serve different purposes.

How many of these places are regional? May need a separate national sandwich chain poll.

reuben
Ugly Virgin

Pizzas: 326

Post by reuben on Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:53 pm

Potbelly's is in NYC now, although I've only been to the Midway one.

Voted for Potbelly's too.  Although I enjoy Jimmy John's sandwiches on occasion, although I understand he is a reprehensible human being.

Ned Braden
Probably a fake Vinyl Cape Jawa

Pizzas: 293
DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden on Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:57 pm

Jesus this is like a billion times harder than Beatles vs Stones

ClosetOfExhaustion
Radical Bitch

Pizzas: 154
Dispositiondisposed

Post by ClosetOfExhaustion on Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:09 pm

yeah, i won't eat at Jimmy John's. 

Cosi is good but they seem to close all the damn time.  reminds me of Schlotsky's Deli, which probaby had terrible franchisee agreements that made it impossible for locations to continually stay open because they had to commit to year over year growth, forever.  Same thing seems to happen to Quizno's, those are everywhere, then nowhere, then everywhere, etc. 

Subway in a pinch. 
I'm never in metro areas, so I don't encounter Corner Bakeries

Arby's will always be about beef n' cheddar, not sandwiches. 

I've never eaten Mr. Submarine. 

Basically, I'm with Raj here.  Potbelly's and Panera.

_
Complex Writer

Pizzas: 9

Post by _ on Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:58 pm

can't fuck with small ass panera portions

i don't really go to any of these unless i'm eating for maximum efficiency, so a huge italian sub from jimmy john's isn't too bad on occasion

yancy
Puppy Thrown at German Biker Gang

Pizzas: 285

Post by yancy on Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:50 pm

Panera is a cut above the sandwich chains to me, but if we're including it, definitely gets my vote.

If I just want a regular ol' sandwich, I'll take Jimmy John's on 7-grain wheat. Their french bread is too tough & flavorless for me.

As a fan of softer breads & sandwiches packed with veggies, I actually don't dislike Subway. Dunno why it gets such a worse rap than the other chains. Mostly I'm just burned out on it after working in an office near two Subways for the better part of a decade. Tastes like work at this point.

Arby's market fresh sandwiches are probably a cut above Subway for me, but not quite big enough to be a stand-alone meal. Feels more like fast food than a sandwich shop when I get a side of curly fries.

My fiancée is crazy for Potbelly's. I tried it a couple times, was neither impressed nor disgusted.

I always get salad(s) at Corner Bakery, so I can't judge it as a sandwich shop.

Not a fan of Quizno's. Never tried Cosi or Mr. Submarine.

zappo
Admin

Pizzas: 271

Post by zappo on Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:59 pm

I have only eaten at Subway and Jimmy John's, of these selections.  I choose neither.

Ned Braden
Probably a fake Vinyl Cape Jawa

Pizzas: 293
DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden on Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:22 pm

Could literally blow a load over the excitement of eating at any single one of these establishments. Motherfuckers not cherishing the existence of sandwiches enough ITT.

raj bigson
Volunteer worker

Post by raj bigson on Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:42 pm

_ wrote:can't fuck with small ass panera portions

i don't really go to any of these unless i'm eating for maximum efficiency, so a huge italian sub from jimmy john's isn't too bad on occasion

Well, I put Panera in a different class for that reason. More of a place you would go have a meal and use the wi-fi rather than efficiency eating.

If you're just maximizing I would go with Subway. I don't eat there often but if I need a reliably inoffensive calorie bomb for a hangover or something, it's probably the best choice.

jasperness
Ugly Virgin

Pizzas: 92

Post by jasperness on Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:02 pm

raj gibson wrote:
If you're just maximizing I would go with Subway. I don't eat there often but if I need a reliably inoffensive calorie bomb for a hangover or something, it's probably the best choice.

FACT.

i don't really count Arby's because it's more in the Jack-in-the-Box fast food realm and it's one of the worst food order establishments on planet Earth.

i like Quiznos enough taste wise but it's just stupid to pay a few dollars more than Subway for the same damn thing with a marginal quality upgrade. and Subway started toasting their subs because Quiznos did which is cool. if i'm gonna buy an $8 like an Quiznos or Panera i'll just go to a fancy local/Italian deli. still never been to Panera.

never been to of the rest of those.

raj bigson
Volunteer worker

Post by raj bigson on Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:24 pm

jasperness wrote: if i'm gonna buy an $8 like an Quiznos or Panera i'll just go to a fancy local/Italian deli.

Definitely. But I'm assuming the intent of the thread is "you're in a small town or airport or desperate circumstances and these are your choices." Right now I'm eating a ham, dill havarti mustard, pickle sandwich on a pretzel roll from Gene's Sausage Shop and that's going to destroy the poll options any day if it enters the equation.

Ted Falconi
Liked Don Charisma on Facebook

Pizzas: 135

Post by Ted Falconi on Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:40 pm

All the sandwiches I've bought from Gene's were overwhelmed by the saltiness of the pretzel roll.  All I could taste was salt.  Also, it's an oddly stocked grocery store with 2 locations.

I don't go to any of these places regularly, but they order the shit out of Jimmy John's where I work.  I joked to a co-worker about how I wanted open a Jimmy John's franchise inside the building, because I could probably make $25.00 a day, and she went on and on about how that was an infeasible idea because of rent and franchise costs, etc.

Ted Falconi
Liked Don Charisma on Facebook

Pizzas: 135

Post by Ted Falconi on Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:44 pm

I did eat at Subways in other towns recently.  Both times had variations on the BLT concept.  Michigan City taught me to not bother with the toasted option, the bread just gets hard and dry.  In Springfield, IL (location near Lincoln's Tomb), I had to look to make sure those were actually jalapenos they put on the sandwich, because they just tasted like flavorless pickles.

raj bigson
Volunteer worker

Post by raj bigson on Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:52 pm

Ted Falconi wrote:All the sandwiches I've bought from Gene's were overwhelmed by the saltiness of the pretzel roll.  All I could taste was salt. 
It was awfully salty. Didn't bother me, but I can see how others might not care for it.

Also, it's an oddly stocked grocery store with 2 locations.
Yeah, that was my point in response to Jasper's comment.

Soma
Middle-aged Dad

Pizzas: 81

Post by Soma on Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:01 am

I actually kind of really like Subway.

I don't think it's good or anything.

monotony
Still has http://lotsofpeopleposting.teensboards.com bookmarked

Pizzas: 53

Post by monotony on Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:18 am

Don't really like subway, and all the other options haven't made their way to the antipodes afaik.

Michael K.
Right Wing Savage

Pizzas: 21
Dispositionpickled

Post by Michael K. on Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:33 am

I'm familiar only w/ Subway, Quizno's, Panera, and Arby's. Not too keen on any of these.

Nick
2006 Remaster Bonus Tracks

Pizzas: 281

Post by Nick on Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:34 am

Panera without question. Pot Bellies is like the slightest step up from Subway.

ClosetOfExhaustion
Radical Bitch

Pizzas: 154
Dispositiondisposed

Post by ClosetOfExhaustion on Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:47 am

yeah, if we're going independent/local sandwich shops, i've never found a better place than Panes Bread Cafe at Sheffield/Wellington.  

i too have office co-workers who tend to cater lunches from jimmy johns.  i just tell them i don't need anything, my self-righteousness knows no bounds.
  • Reply to topic

Current date/time is Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:45 am