vIv
Ted Falconi
Nick
reuben
yancy
Ned Braden
Paves
16 posters

Has anyone here listened to a Black Crowes album recently?

Paves
    Paves
    Tub of Lemon Chobani

Pizzas : 181

Has anyone here listened to a Black Crowes album recently? Empty Has anyone here listened to a Black Crowes album recently?

Post by Paves Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:07 pm

I don't know anything about this artist besides that one song. Just feel like this forum could use some Black Crowes discussion.
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

Pizzas : 993
    DispositionRock Guitars

Has anyone here listened to a Black Crowes album recently? Empty Re: Has anyone here listened to a Black Crowes album recently?

Post by Ned Braden Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:41 pm

That same guy in the office this played "Thorn in my Pride" this morning!
    yancy
    yancy
    equal parts Skrillex, T. Rex, Ed Kowalczyk, Joe Dumars, Outkast, and Kate Bush

Pizzas : 342

Has anyone here listened to a Black Crowes album recently? Empty Re: Has anyone here listened to a Black Crowes album recently?

Post by yancy Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:13 pm

I bet Paves would like the one with pubes on the cover. Not because of the pubes. Because of what I recall people saying about it.
    reuben
    reuben
    President Bannon

Pizzas : 710

Post by reuben Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:38 pm

I bet all my Members-Only Ninja Turtles Fan Forum dollars on who would be the first two responses in this thread and now I'm a billionaire.

Has anyone here listened to a Black Crowes album recently? 234657271_130a08f2
    Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Pizzas : 978

Post by Nick Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:39 pm

Think about how these assholes made millions in the 90s and none of us did.

Just think about that for a minute.
    yancy
    yancy

Post by yancy Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:56 pm

reuben wrote:I bet all my Members-Only Ninja Turtles Fan Forum dollars on who would be the first two responses in this thread and now I'm a billionaire.
    Good guess! Even I wouldn't bet on myself to be an early responder in a Black Crowes thread. I've only heard their singles and don't have strong feelings either way.
    reuben
    reuben
    President Bannon

Post by reuben Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:01 pm

Yeah I didn't expect anyone to be an actual fan I was just thinking about who among us is old enough to know anything about this band.
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:17 pm

Not much of a real fan, but certainly not a hater. At this point I only half-remember their music and mostly consider them a band to be enjoyed in earnest during a Ribfest type situation. I guess what I'm saying is, maybe they're actually amazing?
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:46 pm

Didn't one of them play Jim Morrison in Wayne's World 2?
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:57 pm

Ned Braden wrote:Didn't one of them play Jim Morrison in Wayne's World 2?

Close but no cigar.

I was right about the heavenly angel part at least.
    Ted Falconi
    Ted Falconi
    Shiek

Pizzas : 394

Post by Ted Falconi Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:14 pm

I've seen them live twice once in their early, just getting on MTV days ,opening for Aerosmith in Kansas City.  it was pretty obvious that they only had two good songs, one of which was "Hard to Handle".    Then two or three years later in the basketball stadium at NIU - Jayhawks opened!  They were dull both times.   I remember liking "Remedy" a lot when it came out and that it sounded like Chicago (the band) to me.  A few years later, my roommate's girlfriend bought their 'By Your Side' cd and I didn't like the production. I liked the idea at least where it seemed like Jimmy Page might join them as a regular member at one point, but all they ended up doing was a live album of Zeppelin covers.
    I don't think I ever made it through a full album, though I've always wondered about Amorica.  Good cover at least.

HOWEVER, I had a Chris Robinson Brotherhood album ranked absurdly high on my JDFF EOY ballot a year or two ago.  I listened to the whole thing several times.  For whatever reason, 6 or 7 of these

really pleased me at the time.
    vIv
    vIv
    Volunteer worker

Pizzas : 89

Post by vIv Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:56 pm

I've always found them to be a boring but mostly unobjectionable Stones-Faces tribute band.  Southern Harmony and Musical Companion is a decent listen.  They're still pretty venerated on the jam rock/ Bonnaroo circuit and I've mostly enjoyed the idle time I've spent regarding their performances in those contexts.
    Ted Falconi
    Ted Falconi
    Shiek

Post by Ted Falconi Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:32 pm

Paves wrote:that one song.

Which one? They have five or six that are classic rock radio staples.
    Paves
    Paves
    Tub of Lemon Chobani

Post by Paves Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:18 pm

The song that has the part where the music stops and the singer says something that sounds an awful lot like "Amamago-shonana-hanarownkissarown."

My dream DJ set consists of that song, some Blues Traveler, and an extended mix of "Jack & Diane."
    Paves
    Paves
    Tub of Lemon Chobani

Post by Paves Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:36 pm

I do remember you posting about the Chris Robinson solo album, so I thought this band might have some secretly elite buttrock classics.

I'm pretty sure the SOMBie "bleach" rode hard for the full albums.

I doubt I'm going to listen to this band. Good thread.
    WP64
    WP64
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Pizzas : 65
    DispositionIntransigent

Post by WP64 Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:44 pm

Nick wrote:Think about how these assholes made millions in the 90s and none of us did.

Just think about that for a minute.
    Nevermind that. Didn't one of them bang Jen Aniston?

Edit: Looks like you covered this in another thread...worth repeating anyway.
    Paves
    Paves
    Tub of Lemon Chobani

Post by Paves Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:55 pm

I believe you are thinking of Counting Crowes. Their name also has the word "Crowes" in it.
    yancy
    yancy

Post by yancy Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:55 pm

I find it hard to believe that Paves hasn't already had a Black Crowes phase for like a week.
    Ted Falconi
    Ted Falconi
    Shiek

Post by Ted Falconi Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:00 pm

Paves wrote:The song that has the part where the music stops and the singer says something that sounds an awful lot like "Amamago-shonana-hanarownkissarown."

You're talking about "Jealous Again", imo.  

They're okay.  Better than the Spin Doctors, stightly less substantial than Lenny Kravitz.

But check out "Remedy" and their version of "Hard to Handle" (their biggest not-ballad) if you need to hear more, there is, apparently, that.
    spiritofeden
    spiritofeden
    Bass Player from Creepy D

Pizzas : 31

Post by spiritofeden Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:11 pm

I remember their second album being pretty good.

They did a live album with Jimmy Page as well, which is real good
    reuben
    reuben
    President Bannon

Post by reuben Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:15 pm

Paves wrote:"Amamago-shonana-hanarownkissarown."
    according to metrolyrics dot com it goes

'Cause mama I'm sure hard to handle now
    Yes, I am

but that can't be right. hmmmm....
    Ted Falconi
    Ted Falconi
    Shiek

Post by Ted Falconi Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:33 am

BGwaves
    BGwaves
    basically just a wordier, shittier sausage blurb

Pizzas : 282
    DispositionBLACK..... coffee in bed

Post by BGwaves Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:51 am

I worked at the Tweeter Center/World Music Theatre/Whatever it is now when they toured with Jimmy Page. I was 18 and I have to say the Zep tunes they did sounded great. I distinctly remember Whole Lotta Love being awesome but I coulda been more in awe of hearing/kinda seeing a guitar hero. Never was a huge fan of them by themselves.
    Duff...
    Duff...
    Current Bass Player of UFO

Pizzas : 809
    DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:22 pm

They played these guys on MTV all the time so I liked them in jr high and high school I guess but I really can't think of anything else to say about them but feel like I should post something so here we are.
    Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Pizzas : 978

Post by Nick Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:51 pm

I'm going to make a statement before this thread heads down a dark path: This band was fucking atrocious.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:34 am