Ned Braden
zappo
12 posters

A thread for guilty pleasures which you unashamedly enjoy

zappo
    zappo
    Supermasculine Menial

Pizzas : 870

A thread for guilty pleasures which you unashamedly enjoy - Page 2 Empty Re: A thread for guilty pleasures which you unashamedly enjoy

Post by zappo Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:12 am

I enjoy the David Byrne release entitled Look Into the Eyeball.
    zappo
    zappo
    Supermasculine Menial

A thread for guilty pleasures which you unashamedly enjoy - Page 2 Empty Re: A thread for guilty pleasures which you unashamedly enjoy

Post by zappo Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:02 pm

More than nine years ago, I saw Broken Social Scene play a surprisingly ecstatic and fun set in Tokyo.  They at one point had some awestruck Japanese high schoolers on stage with them to play brass on a song or two.  It was a euphoric and exhilarating night for quite a few of the people in attendance, and (though it had even, by then, been quite a few years since I'd actively enjoyed the band) it was a night full of memories I'll likely cherish for the rest of my life--I remember listening to both Scratch Acid and The Magnetic Fields (they'd just released Distortion, lol) on my iPod after getting off of work, that afternoon; I remember the Indian buffet where I ate dinner, before the show; I remember shopping for twelve-inches for a little while, after eating (I didn't buy anything); I remember the ride over to Shibuya with a big, gay, Canadian coworker who was fucking AMPED to see the band; I remember meeting up with my then-girlfriend and Deej's brother to wait in line (we ran into a mutual friend of theirs with whom he'd gone to prom in Evanston, five years earlier) outside of the club; I remember the ride home, afterwards (the last train of the night), and a lovely walk back to my apartment with the then-girlfriend.  She'd fallen asleep on the train and wasn't too happy about being awoken, but it was a good time in the end.  And I remember the show, too!  They played well and with both energy and plenty of good humor.  It was a great night. I had a lot of fun.

But I remember the opening set by Stars far, far, far more fondly than I do any of those other things.  

I remember the opening set by Stars because Amy Millan was singing for both acts, that night.  And I remember that because Amy Millan was, if not by any means obese, certainly a good deal broader, taller, and heavier than 90% of the Japanese people (men or women) in attendance at the show.  And I remember that because, when she took an ill-advised stage-dive near the end of the Stars set, she fucking crushed a group of poor bastards at the foot of the stage.  They stood no chance, and she laid waste to the motherfuckers.  It was carnage, man.

Anyway, I bring that up because I really fucking enjoy her indie-country-post-rock-lite-lol solo record, Honey from the Tombs, even though it's very likely awful.  I'm sure it is.  But I can't hear them shits.  I love KC Accidental, too.  Like, I still actively love these records; I didn't just love them in 2005/2006 and then think better of it.  Fuck that.  Ride or die, bitches.

Last edited by zappo on Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:10 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : typos)
    zappo
    zappo
    Supermasculine Menial

Post by zappo Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:04 pm

And I should note that I didn't even know who Deej was, at the time. I'd never heard of SOMB. I just lurked on ILX and shit.
    undo
    undo
    Internet's Busiest Music Nerd

Pizzas : 1138

Post by undo Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:44 pm

I unironically enjoy Atari Teenage Riot

have not heard the new stuff and don't really want to
    zappo
    zappo
    Supermasculine Menial

Post by zappo Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:19 pm

zappo
    zappo
    Supermasculine Menial

Post by zappo Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:59 am

I was singing along with an Erasure song playing in Wal-Mart, earlier. Some middle-aged Mexican jabroni gave me a nasty stink-eye. An historically elite singles band, if you ask me. Unstoppable.

Bruegel
    Bruegel
    basically just a wordier, shittier sausage blurb

Pizzas : 453

Post by Bruegel Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:15 pm

wrd. and not just the singles. I listened to The Innocents and The Circus the other day and even the deep cuts pop the fuck off.
    zappo
    zappo
    Supermasculine Menial

Post by zappo Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:46 pm

Oh, no doubt. The Circus is the shit. But, like...you know. It's mostly a singles act.
    Duff...
    Duff...
    Current Bass Player of UFO

Pizzas : 809
    DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:31 am

A few weeks ago the words "Together we'll break these chains of love" sprung into my head and I couldn't remember what they were from and I spent a good two hours scraping together the melody in my brain meats and was pleased to find it was an Erasure song.
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:11 am

undo
    undo

Post by undo Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:31 pm

Five years ago or whenever every poptimist writer was riding Bruno Mars, hooting and hollering and loving every minute of it, I absolutely hated both the man and his music. His songs fucking sucked, to say nothing of his focus-grouped persona.

These days (judging by his hits alone, mind you) I think he’s making the best music of his career, thoroughly enjoyable and fun songs that really sound great, and suddenly he’s worse than Satan and everything wrong with music today.

Everyone loved this guy when he was releasing “Young Girls,” “The Lazy Song” and “Just the Way You Are” (because it’s awesome to root for a winner? u tell me.) but now he releases “24K Magic” (which is awesome, I’m sorry, just ban me I guess) and everyone online is like whoa maybe we need to make some big changes around here
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Pizzas : 342

Post by chrondog Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:09 pm

undo wrote:but now he releases “24K Magic” (which is awesome, I’m sorry, just ban me I guess) and everyone online is like whoa maybe we need to make some big changes around here

24K Magic is an amazing song that I'm not sure many suburban moms realize is loosely about pimping.

the post-Grammy hot take train has reinforced the idea that people will force the narrative no matter what is happening. a person of color swept the big awards and a woman won Best New Artist, but it wasn't Kendrick or SZA so it doesn't count?

what's wrong with the Grammy's, a popular music awards show, giving awards to popular music?
    zappo
    zappo
    Supermasculine Menial

Post by zappo Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:44 pm

Did he win Best Hard Rock/Metal Performance Vocal or Instrumental?
    Duff...
    Duff...

DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:26 pm

The hot takes I've read (admittedly few) were careful to say "Yeah Mars is great and everything" but the focus has been on more or less shutting out hip-hop from non-hip-hop awards and for once again prizing light, fun, backwards-looking (which, love or hate, Mars decidedly is) music over more thoughtful, dificult work.

As an aside, I've been considering making a thread called "Bruno Mars: I dunno. I just don't know" for this entire song cycle.
    reuben
    reuben
    President Bannon

Pizzas : 710

Post by reuben Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:10 am

I’m listening to a new Brandi Carlile album right now. Not feeling guilty.
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Post by chrondog Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:01 pm

it's wild to me how popular it is in "cool circles" online to say "The Doors suck" when its so clear they put out a bunch of quality shit. this board does it too.

they put out a ton of hot garbage as well and i guess things like an Oliver Stone movie are too much for some people to handle, but not every band needs to be impeccable to be very enjoyable. just because Manzarek's organ noodling and Morrison's "poetry" is a little corny for this decade doesn't invalidate the fact that you've enjoyed "Light My Fire" or "Love Me Two Times" a bunch. not everything needs to be "great" or "awful".

this is my opinion and it's about 3 years late.
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

Pizzas : 993
    DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:17 pm

I’m in the Bruce Mculloch school of Doors fandom.
    Gene Bootcut
    Gene Bootcut
    A fanatic of the sketch genre

Pizzas : 441

Post by Gene Bootcut Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:19 pm

LA Woman is a genuinely great album imco
    reuben
    reuben
    President Bannon

Pizzas : 710

Post by reuben Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:53 pm

The only good Doors song is “Touch Me.”
    Duff...
    Duff...

DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:32 pm

The "The Doors suck" stance is of course an over correction on what most of has had to endure from, if not the "cool circles" exactly then the "popular" and "vocal" ones, driving this idea that The Doors were part of some four horsemen of rock greatness, and quite possibly the greatest rock band of all time. When it comes down to it they were fine and little else, and it kinda seems like at this point it's "the cool circles" leading the "The Doors own" narrative anyway.
    zappo
    zappo
    Supermasculine Menial

Post by zappo Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:08 am

I have always liked and will always like The Doors. I'm not a fucking monster.
    tjenz
    tjenz
    Bass Player from Creepy D

Pizzas : 80

Post by tjenz Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:26 am

The Doors had some good songs that classic rock radio has played to death.

When I was in high school, seemed like about 1/2 the people I knew had read the book on Morrison, No One Gets Out of Here Alive.

That Oliver Stone movie on the Doors is fucking hilarious. One of the best unintentional comedies ever made.

DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:54 pm

tjenz wrote:
    When I was in high school, seemed like about 1/2 the people I knew had read the book on Morrison, No One Gets Out of Here Alive.  

Yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyup.
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Post by chrondog Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:35 pm

the most listenable The Doors song at this point is probably "Peace Frog"
    zappo
    zappo
    Supermasculine Menial

Post by zappo Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:18 pm

I heard "Peace Frog" on the radio, a few weeks ago. Easily the highlight of my 2018, thus far.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:48 pm