A thread for guilty pleasures which you unashamedly enjoy

zappo
    dying of laughter, here, but still genuinely sorry.

Pizzas : 528

Re: A thread for guilty pleasures which you unashamedly enjoy

Post by zappo on Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:12 am

I enjoy the David Byrne release entitled Look Into the Eyeball.
    zappo

Post by zappo on Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:02 pm

More than nine years ago, I saw Broken Social Scene play a surprisingly ecstatic and fun set in Tokyo.  They at one point had some awestruck Japanese high schoolers on stage with them to play brass on a song or two.  It was a euphoric and exhilarating night for quite a few of the people in attendance, and (though it had even, by then, been quite a few years since I'd actively enjoyed the band) it was a night full of memories I'll likely cherish for the rest of my life--I remember listening to both Scratch Acid and The Magnetic Fields (they'd just released Distortion, lol) on my iPod after getting off of work, that afternoon; I remember the Indian buffet where I ate dinner, before the show; I remember shopping for twelve-inches for a little while, after eating (I didn't buy anything); I remember the ride over to Shibuya with a big, gay, Canadian coworker who was fucking AMPED to see the band; I remember meeting up with my then-girlfriend and Deej's brother to wait in line (we ran into a mutual friend of theirs with whom he'd gone to prom in Evanston, five years earlier) outside of the club; I remember the ride home, afterwards (the last train of the night), and a lovely walk back to my apartment with the then-girlfriend.  She'd fallen asleep on the train and wasn't too happy about being awoken, but it was a good time in the end.  And I remember the show, too!  They played well and with both energy and plenty of good humor.  It was a great night. I had a lot of fun.

But I remember the opening set by Stars far, far, far more fondly than I do any of those other things.  

I remember the opening set by Stars because Amy Millan was singing for both acts, that night.  And I remember that because Amy Millan was, if not by any means obese, certainly a good deal broader, taller, and heavier than 90% of the Japanese people (men or women) in attendance at the show.  And I remember that because, when she took an ill-advised stage-dive near the end of the Stars set, she fucking crushed a group of poor bastards at the foot of the stage.  They stood no chance, and she laid waste to the motherfuckers.  It was carnage, man.

Anyway, I bring that up because I really fucking enjoy her indie-country-post-rock-lite-lol solo record, Honey from the Tombs, even though it's very likely awful.  I'm sure it is.  But I can't hear them shits.  I love KC Accidental, too.  Like, I still actively love these records; I didn't just love them in 2005/2006 and then think better of it.  Fuck that.  Ride or die, bitches.

Last edited by zappo on Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:10 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : typos)
    zappo

Post by zappo on Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:04 pm

And I should note that I didn't even know who Deej was, at the time. I'd never heard of SOMB. I just lurked on ILX and shit.
    undo
    An American Gashhound in Lincoln

Pizzas : 456

Post by undo on Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:44 pm

I unironically enjoy Atari Teenage Riot

have not heard the new stuff and don't really want to
    undo
    An American Gashhound in Lincoln

Pizzas : 456

Post by undo on Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:12 pm

eh
    zappo

Post by zappo on Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:19 pm

zappo

Post by zappo on Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:59 am

I was singing along with an Erasure song playing in Wal-Mart, earlier. Some middle-aged Mexican jabroni gave me a nasty stink-eye. An historically elite singles band, if you ask me. Unstoppable.

Bruegel
    basically just a wordier, shittier sausage blurb

Pizzas : 444

Post by Bruegel on Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:15 pm

wrd. and not just the singles. I listened to The Innocents and The Circus the other day and even the deep cuts pop the fuck off.
    zappo

Post by zappo on Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:46 pm

Oh, no doubt. The Circus is the shit. But, like...you know. It's mostly a singles act.
    Duff...
    Blood Gargling Psychopath

Pizzas : 342
    DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... on Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:31 am

A few weeks ago the words "Together we'll break these chains of love" sprung into my head and I couldn't remember what they were from and I spent a good two hours scraping together the melody in my brain meats and was pleased to find it was an Erasure song.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:44 pm