15 posters

Spotify.

Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Pizzas : 978

Spotify. - Page 2 Empty Re: Spotify.

Post by Nick Thu Jan 28, 2021 4:35 pm

https://pitchfork.com/news/new-spotify-patent-involves-monitoring-users-speech-to-recommend-music/
    undo
    undo
    Internet's Busiest Music Nerd

Pizzas : 1140

Post by undo Thu Jan 28, 2021 6:19 pm

I hate it all.
    Gene Bootcut
    Gene Bootcut
    A fanatic of the sketch genre

Pizzas : 441

Post by Gene Bootcut Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:29 pm

Nick wrote:https://pitchfork.com/news/new-spotify-patent-involves-monitoring-users-speech-to-recommend-music/

well, this certainly makes me feel good about my decision to keep my microphone switched off as the default setting
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Pizzas : 342

Post by chrondog Fri Jan 29, 2021 2:51 pm

Your phone is already listening to everything you're saying
    Gene Bootcut
    Gene Bootcut
    A fanatic of the sketch genre

Pizzas : 441

Post by Gene Bootcut Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:57 pm

oh, I only turn my phone on when I need to make or intercept a call outside (so not once in the last ten months)

but yeah, I already live in a surveillance state, point taken
    WP64
    WP64
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Pizzas : 67
    DispositionIntransigent

Post by WP64 Sat Jan 30, 2021 12:12 am

I have an incredible amount of luddite rage lately. I think this is a common social experience that has been intensified by our new reality of endless lockdowns and remote working. The Brits are almost constantly disappointing me but I thought it was great that some of them were going out and breaking 5G antennas last year. Our digital revolution is forcing people into working longer hours, for worse pay, in positions that are increasingly demeaning and purposeless. Meanwhile the value-added productivity of the working class continues to rise, which is being captured by the capitalist class. As much as everything sucks now, at least things are bad enough that people cannot help but connect the dots. The working class is not sufficiently organized and politically mature enough to seize and democratize the means of production but I think breaking them is always a good first step of disorganized resistance.

I have constant thoughts about submerging my phone and laptop into a bathtub, buying a typewriter, and finally developing the necessary attention span to actually accomplish something that is of social and cultural value. But instead I end up scrolling on my Instagram explore page at like 2am because they've hijacked my brain's neurotransmitters to keep looking at girls' photoshopped asses. eh
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

Pizzas : 996
    DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Sat Jan 30, 2021 12:55 am

WP64 wrote:I have an incredible amount of luddite rage lately. I think this is a common social experience that has been intensified by our new reality of endless lockdowns and remote working.

I hear ya.
    Me tonight as I waste time getting angry at my computer I can't figure out rather than catching up with virtual work and/or virtual school:
    Spotify. - Page 2 Bullsh10
    BGwaves
    BGwaves
    basically just a wordier, shittier sausage blurb

Pizzas : 283
    DispositionBLACK..... coffee in bed

Post by BGwaves Sat Jan 30, 2021 11:40 am

Do the asses manifest in your dreams? If no, turn to page 42. If yes, turn to page 127.
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Post by chrondog Sun Jan 31, 2021 3:48 pm

WP64 wrote:But instead I end up scrolling on my Instagram explore page at like 2am because they've hijacked my brain's neurotransmitters to keep looking at girls' photoshopped asses. eh

good pussy is good pussy eh . i created a whole "thots account" to just follow models so i could keep my main account clean.

i hear you on wanting to be a luddite, but it also feels like everything that i enjoy/feels good in my life is digital. i wish there was a simpler way to enforce boundaries on technology, but it requires so much work.

i think it's valuable to try and tame ourselves and our own excesses before going out and suggesting that other people do. it would be awesome to actually reduce my own phone use to almost nothing and be able to help other people figure out how to do the same.
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:28 am

I just subscribed to the Amazon version of Spotify.

I have always had digital access the to pretty much ever CD I've ever bought from them, plus the diet-Spotify experience of listening to the "Prime" music library that's probably 50-60% of what Spotify has (based on my experience of not having used it for almost five years now). Using that exposes you to the idea of "would I pay to make this NOT suck quite so much?" And sometimes you're like hmmm maybe

Anyway they dangled a free offer in front of my face today and I finally bit, so we will test my resolve now

I will cancel the service before my 4 free months are used up!

Yeah, we'll see won't we

I have listened to lots of Moodymann today. And now some Larry Heard album from 2001 right now.

I was listening to Sleaford Mods on the drive home from work.

Anyway, this is helping to break the cycle of listening I was stuck in for a while there. But at what cost?
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:33 am

chrondog wrote:Your phone is already listening to everything you're saying

Can I control its ability to do this? (serious)

Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Post by Nick Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:10 am

Undo I prefer Amazon Prime Music to Spotify. I could be in the minority here but don’t feel that I’m unable to access that much music that Spotify offers.

I mean, last I checked neither offer John Cale’s Sabotage/Live album so I go to YouTube for that and other instances of albums not being there. And I don’t listen to Spotify exclusive podcasts.

chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Post by chrondog Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:58 pm

undo wrote:
    chrondog wrote:Your phone is already listening to everything you're saying

Can I control its ability to do this? (serious)

No
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:22 pm

Nick wrote:Undo I prefer Amazon Prime Music to Spotify. I could be in the minority here but don’t feel that I’m unable to access that much music that Spotify offers.

I mean, last I checked neither offer John Cale’s Sabotage/Live album so I go to YouTube for that and other instances of albums not being there. And I don’t listen to Spotify exclusive podcasts.

Do you listen to it in the car? And if so, does it automatically go into the "Car mode" without asking you and just start playing random bullshit that it thinks you'll like when it does?
    BGwaves
    BGwaves

Post by BGwaves Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:01 pm

I don’t pay for it but mine does this if I pick the music while my phone is connected and the car is running. I try to get what I wanna play ready before I start the car. You can close car mode or whatever it’s called but I agree that it’s annoying. I’ve never looked in my iPhone settings or the app settings but there may be a way to turn it off. Doing a quick google search, it looks like you can turn it off in the app settings but it may also be related to your phone being in do not disturb mode. I’d look at those things and see if that changes anything.
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:37 am

The Amazon app has its own settings IN THE APP and you can uncheck the box that sets it to go into car mode any time it detects a connection with the running car or something. Just found this today.

So only tomorrow or Sunday will tell if it remembers that I changed it or if it's gonna forget that somehow
    BGwaves
    BGwaves

Post by BGwaves Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:04 am

Car mode sucks but my biggest issue with this app recently is all the random shutdowns. As some of you may know, I drive most of the day with my current job. If I’m listening to Spotify for more then a few hours the app just starts closing itself. I open it back up, play the song, 4 songs later… shutdown. It’s not the worst thing but if I’m in the middle of nowhere, there is only NPR, country/hard rock, and political/bible talk. I’d prefer to continue listening to Haroumi Hosono, please.

Anyone else have this issue?
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Wed Aug 11, 2021 12:24 am

It's ridiculous that any band was ever sued or forced to change their name because some previously existing act already had it.

I swear that half the time I search for a specific artist, like half of the results in the albums list are from completely different artist. Most of the album results for Chapterhouse are from some totally unrelated dude who appears to be a SoundCloud rapper. I went looking for Lush this morning and if you want to hear a song called "Fat Girl Summer," she's got you covered.
    BGwaves
    BGwaves

Post by BGwaves Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:22 am

I think the Algo is fucking with you. When I search Lush all I get is Lush (artist) then below that all of their albums, a Bowery electric album and a dean blunt album. Everything in its right place over here. I have had that happen to me but I can’t remember any artist that it effected at the moment. But similar story to yours, listening to someone who has some kind of fame, their album ends and the next thing on the list is some unknown SoundCloud Rapper with the same name. You’d think some human that works there has the job of protecting copyright. I imagine that this typically effects artists that have an international counterpart, in name at least.
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:05 pm

undo wrote:I just subscribed to the Amazon version of Spotify.

I have always had digital access the to pretty much ever CD I've ever bought from them, plus the diet-Spotify experience of listening to the "Prime" music library that's probably 50-60% of what Spotify has (based on my experience of not having used it for almost five years now). Using that exposes you to the idea of "would I pay to make this NOT suck quite so much?" And sometimes you're like hmmm maybe

Anyway they dangled a free offer in front of my face today and I finally bit, so we will test my resolve now

I will cancel the service before my 4 free months are used up!

Come to think about it, this ought to be two days from now.

undo wrote:It's ridiculous that any band was ever sued or forced to change their name because some previously existing act already had it.

I swear that half the time I search for a specific artist, like half of the results in the albums list are from completely different artist. Most of the album results for Chapterhouse are from some totally unrelated dude who appears to be a SoundCloud rapper. I went looking for Lush this morning and if you want to hear a song called "Fat Girl Summer," she's got you covered.

BGwaves wrote:I think the Algo is fucking with you. When I search Lush all I get is Lush (artist) then below that all of their albums, a Bowery electric album and a dean blunt album. Everything in its right place over here. I have had that happen to me but I can’t remember any artist that it effected at the moment. But similar story to yours, listening to someone who has some kind of fame, their album ends and the next thing on the list is some unknown SoundCloud Rapper with the same name. You’d think some human that works there has the job of protecting copyright. I imagine that this typically effects artists that have an international counterpart, in name at least.

Actually if you want to be a rapper and call yourself KMD, and literally nobody can stop you!

BGwaves
    BGwaves

Post by BGwaves Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:16 pm

I support Neil Young. Just pulled out my copy of Tonight’s the Night. You don’t need streaming if you got the vinyl!
    Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Post by Nick Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:47 am

He’s consistently in my top 3 most listened to artists every year. Fully support him with this decision. And feel dumb not realizing that for $20 a year you can get his entire catalog streaming on his website.
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

Pizzas : 996
    DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Fri Jan 28, 2022 5:19 pm

Neil Young is one of the best artists of all time.

No shortage of very very stupid people in my social media feed making comments like "LOL neil young" as though anything as destructive and shitty as Joe Rogan or Spotify could in any way lessen his greatness.
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Fri Feb 04, 2022 7:12 pm

I never switched back over to Spotify, guess I dodged a bullet?

Is there even a "good" streaming service for music?
    Michael K.
    Michael K.
    Fascist Groove Shark

Pizzas : 161
    Dispositionpickled

Post by Michael K. Fri Feb 04, 2022 7:43 pm

I like Tidal. It streams in higher quality than Spotify because their system is built on FLAC instead of MP3. I'm into that. I still like some of the features of Spotify better - they have all the Numero Group playlists, for instance - but Tidal's layout is fine and the streaming, which was sorta buggy when it started, is much improved.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 7:42 pm