8 posters

The Cosmic Jungle

chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Pizzas : 342

The Cosmic Jungle - Page 3 Empty Re: The Cosmic Jungle

Post by chrondog Thu Mar 17, 2022 3:22 pm

undo wrote:90% of any music takes I attempt are just endless variations on "why did this music I like have to change?"

This is basically the thesis of this entire thread.
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Post by chrondog Thu Mar 17, 2022 6:17 pm

chrondog wrote:94-96 has some really interesting DnB fusion. "Sweet Sunshine" combines the breakbeat rinsing and jungle-y drums of earlier "jungle" while incorporating a sick jazz melody and rolling bassline throughout. A lot of the later "jazzy DnB" discards the heavy breakbeats altogether. I love both styles, so I have a sweet spot for tracks like this that do both very well.

Another most excellent jazzy composition that is more of a simple two-step instead of hard breakbeats is this:

Love playing this track all the time. It's the intro to an excellent Kiss FM Fabio Mix: https://soundcloud.com/ethereal94/fabio-kiss-100-fm-21st-march-1997

The track is from Moving Shadow's Storm from the East 2 compilation. Moving Shadow is one of the best DnB labels from this era and both Storm from the East compilations are high-water marks from the period. Both come highly recommended from me:

My only disappointment is that, despite how awesome their logo is, the modern Moving Shadow hoodie says "Audio Couture" on it and fucking sucks: https://shop.movingshadow.com/home
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Post by chrondog Tue Mar 29, 2022 9:53 pm

Total Science/Funky Technicians/Spinback and the Q Project/the Legend Record Boys are absolutely immense and I've talked them up a bunch, but wow at this hidden gem of a track:

The funk is on a hundred thousand trillion here.
    BGwaves
    BGwaves
    basically just a wordier, shittier sausage blurb

Pizzas : 283
    DispositionBLACK..... coffee in bed

Post by BGwaves Fri Apr 01, 2022 9:13 am

chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Post by chrondog Fri Apr 01, 2022 1:01 pm

Great cuts of the rough stuff for a Friday morning!

I tend to rotate through periods of listening to this real junglist shit, the heavy breakbeats/hardstep style, and the jazzy/ambient style, but they all have a ton to offer.

Remixes from Roni Size and Ray Keith? Tracks from Dillinger, Blame and Justice, DJ Rap and Aquarius aka Photek? Great shit.

I've been reading old Fabio interviews this week.

Here are my two tracks of the week as well.

From the hardstep category—

From the jazzy/euphoria/uncategorizably beautiful genre—

Even if you aren't in to DnB, I recommend "Chrysalis" just because it's so beautiful.
    BGwaves
    BGwaves

Post by BGwaves Fri Apr 01, 2022 8:10 pm

Cool drums on the first one, what era is that one? It completely throws away the playbook if it’s from the 90s, very unique drum programming.

Yeah chrysalis is pretty good. Era?

I appreciate this thread, you are finding some nice stuff that wasn’t already rec’d by YouTube. Keep up the good work! I will contribute when I can.
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Post by chrondog Fri Apr 01, 2022 8:24 pm

I could dig deep on these types of track for years.

Totally agree on the awesomeness of the drums in "Got To Have Ya". Apparently Natural Mystic is an alias of a Digital (https://www.discogs.com/artist/651-Digital)

Both of these tracks are very early but unreleased tracks. I found both played back to back on this Fabio mix from 1995: https://soundcloud.com/conradio-1/fabio-kiss-100-fm-early-1995. They must have been pressed onto dubplate around 94 then.

From what I'm gathering, the only press of "Chrysalis" was on a 12" on Sony's 10 Inch Press in 96: https://www.discogs.com/release/72607-Trinity-Foul-Play-Cutting-Edge-23

They also did a CD complilation of these "Cutting Edge" 12" releases shown on the video above.
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Post by chrondog Fri Apr 01, 2022 8:29 pm

Another thing that I enjoy immensely but haven't discussed much here is actual recorded sets from clubs. I'm not the biggest fan of British "jungle MCs" because to me they don't add very much, so I tended to avoid live sets early on. Sometimes they hit the spot though and enjoying the epicness of the live mix can be great. These are good workout or running sets. The selections will also have a different feel than radio shows because they're for a crowd.

Here's a few great ones from Fabio
    Chrome, May 1995 - https://soundcloud.com/ethereal94/fabio-chrome-may-1995
    DJ Dance and Fabio, Club Adrenalin, 25th March 1994 - https://soundcloud.com/ethereal94/dj-dance-fabio-club-adrenalin-25th-march-1994
    LTJ Bukem & Fabio, Innersense, 4th June 1994 - https://soundcloud.com/ethereal94/ltj-bukem-fabio-innersense-innersense-dj-awards-4th-june-1994
    Fabio, Destiny, 26th January 1996 - https://soundcloud.com/ethereal94/fabio-destiny-26th-january-1996
    BGwaves
    BGwaves

Post by BGwaves Tue Jul 05, 2022 9:33 am

I listened to this while having coffee outside on my porch this morning and it really hit the spot. Apparently Derek Bailey used to practice guitar while listening to pirate radio jungle mixes in the early 90s. This album documents that work. Terrible fidelity so don’t expect something pretty. It would have been awesome for Derek Bailey to have hooked up with Holgar Czuky for a drum and bass/guitar session!

https://scatterarchive.bandcamp.com/album/domestic-jungle
    undo
    undo
    Internet's Busiest Music Nerd

Pizzas : 1140

Post by undo Sun Oct 30, 2022 10:27 am

undo wrote:On a brighter note, this is one of my favorite albums of all time

This is my favorite track from him, I downloaded it from Soulseek sometime in the late 00s.

EXCEPT last night I just found out that the version I've always known is only like HALF OF THE SONG. The track is almost twice the length that I always thought it was and the second half of it goes to some amazing places I never imagined possible.

Also the audio quality on this is much better than the crappy rip I've had on my PC forever. This is a great CD compilation and I finally ordered it, so maybe all the other tracks on it I've always thought were really cool will also take on new dimensions and depth. One can only hope.

Listening to this makes me wonder if this is what the scrapped MBV jungle album was going to sound like.
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Sun Apr 09, 2023 10:59 am

undo wrote:

This was in my recommendations this morning and it's all really good

undo
    undo

Post by undo Thu May 25, 2023 10:17 am

Why does he pronounce "Amen" like that @ 3:09
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Thu Aug 17, 2023 7:16 pm

this is ridiculously good and not in any of the ways I was expecting it might be, although I guess it's a little frontloaded

probably not an "underrated" album anymore as the Internet has reevaluated it as a classic of sorts
    techno raj
    techno raj
    Tub of Lemon Chobani

Pizzas : 231

Post by techno raj Sun Aug 27, 2023 8:58 pm

Hell yeah, that guy whips ass, I played the crap out of Sounds From the Far East a few years ago. Ape Escape baby!
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

Pizzas : 995
    DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Sun Aug 27, 2023 9:22 pm

Yeah, thanks for that. Rad stuff.
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Sun Sep 10, 2023 1:52 pm

When people describe this as drum and bass and/or legitimate inheritors of the 90s sound who took it to the next level, I'm just completely dumbfounded. This could be the dullest and least interesting beat I've ever heard in any song and I think it's the foundation for everything that this group does.

I don't think there's any form of electronic music that I despise more than this. The hate everyone had for 2010s Skrillex was so misplaced, he never made anything as completely boring as this and never will.

Sorry to bring hate into this positive thread.
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Post by chrondog Mon Sep 18, 2023 7:03 pm

Yeah that kind of DnB sucks shit and anyone who listens to it is embarassing.
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Mon Apr 01, 2024 2:38 pm

chrondog wrote:
    undo wrote:But in general, it just seems like everyone who was "good" in the 90s very quickly tried to change that as soon as the new decade came around. Compare the beautiful and haunting atmosphere of classic Photek, the complex but unpredictably swinging rhythms of that drum programming, to what he would make a decade later:

I checked this out in the car the other day and I was shocked at how basic and awful it is. It has nothing to do with the vocals (he can make really good tracks in this vein, or at least he could at one point), but just listen to the beat coming in at 1:30. What is this shit? Just throws everything about his music that made it unique into the garbage. Maybe it's unreasonable to expect people to keep making the same style of music over and over again? But it's so disappointing how the answer to that always seems to be regressing into a really boring, commercialized sound. Roni Size also ran in this direction as fast as he could once he got a small taste of stardom. New Forms was probably overrated when it came out but one could still get a really good single-length CD out of all its tracks if they wanted to today.

In a lot of ways, I think it's the fact that the great "rave music" and jungle simply isn't that commercial. I don't think the people who tried selling this stuff to a mainstream audience in the late 90s were very successful. Goldie's Timeless is one of the highs there and that was old reported to sell around 250,000 copies, which was massive on it's own but not indicative of a huge commercial appeal.

It's not easy to sell a lot of music this high tempo or sometimes chaotic to a mainstream audience. I guess what people like about this boring 2000s style is that it's not really a style? It's just a drum pattern and a tempo that you can paste whatever you want on top of it, so people starting pairing it with pop vocals and sounds.

Not to say a simpler style can't be good. I think the Bomberman/N64 jungle mixes do a great job of showing how you can do Amen Breaks and pop music at the same time, but for whatever reason that didn't catch on.

There's definitely a technology component to it as well. DnB got easier and easier to make and seemed to inspire less people. A lot of great DJs who used to produce DnB in the 90s even refer to it as a "phase" in their musical progression. Photek now produces music for television including "How to Get Away with Murder", good for him.

Just linking a Sunday review that I really enjoyed

https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/photek-modus-operandi/

I have vivid memories of listening to this while driving to a temp job I had back in, uh... 2004? And thinking to myself "wow, it feels like I've been listening to this album forever, it's almost hard to believe!" 5 or 6 years still felt like a whole lifetime.
    BGwaves
    BGwaves

Post by BGwaves Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:54 pm

Thankfully Philip Sherburne did that piece because I would have had an aneurysm otherwise. Pitchfork doesn't deserve M.O. It's the type of thing Brent D would have shit on in the 'heyday' but now it's acceptable 'classic album' review material. In a way I'm glad things have come around but I like things staying lost sometimes too.

on the other hand, good review of one of my favorite albums, ever.
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Tue Apr 02, 2024 12:18 am

BGwaves wrote:Thankfully Philip Sherburne did that piece because I would have had an aneurysm otherwise. Pitchfork doesn't deserve M.O. It's the type of thing Brent D would have shit on in the 'heyday' but now it's acceptable 'classic album' review material.

A different album and a different Brent, but yes. Unsurprisingly, this one is no longer on the site.

https://web.archive.org/web/20080209120419/http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/article/record_review/20853-solaris

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 3:50 pm