Gene Bootcut
Duff...
18 posters

I'm looking for a brand new hairstyle.

techno raj
    techno raj
    Tub of Lemon Chobani

Pizzas : 228

I'm looking for a brand new hairstyle. - Page 2 Empty Re: I'm looking for a brand new hairstyle.

Post by techno raj Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:40 pm

Hair is so personal, I never know just what to say when people ask for advice on what to do with theirs. Generally all you can do is get a barber/stylist you really trust and discuss it with them - tell them you need a change and you're not sure what you want but that you know what you don't want (e.g. length in the back). They won't try to give you a silver bullet solution but they will ask some questions or provide some input that will help you narrow your focus. Just think about what you do or do not like about haircuts you see and your own aesthetic will gradually come into focus.
    reuben
    reuben
    President Bannon

Pizzas : 710

I'm looking for a brand new hairstyle. - Page 2 Empty Re: I'm looking for a brand new hairstyle.

Post by reuben Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:22 pm

Who cares what the back of your hair looks like? It's not like you'll ever see it!
    Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Pizzas : 978

Post by Nick Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:35 pm

You don't see enough neck tattoos of Young Stalin. I walked to work this morning & saw three people with someone's face tattooed on their neck.

None of which were Young Stalin.
    Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Post by Nick Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:49 pm

Book description on Amazon for Young Stalin: "romantic poet, gangster mastermind, prolific lover, murderous revolutionary and merciless politician".

Dude gets shit on but seemed alright to me!
    Duff...
    Duff...
    Current Bass Player of UFO

Pizzas : 809
    DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:35 pm

raj 2 wrote:Hair is so personal, I never know just what to say when people ask for advice on what to do with theirs. Generally all you can do is get a barber/stylist you really trust and discuss it with them - tell them you need a change and you're not sure what you want but that you know what you don't want (e.g. length in the back). They won't try to give you a silver bullet solution but they will ask some questions or provide some input that will help you narrow your focus. Just think about what you do or do not like about haircuts you see and your own aesthetic will gradually come into focus.
    Yeah, this definitely speaks to why I've had the same "cut hair => grow hair out" cycle since adolescence. Kinda just wanna go to a barber and say "I trust you" I feel like he'd probably just find that irritating.
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

Pizzas : 993
    DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:05 pm

Was the first thing I saw when I logged onto JDFF to change my name to Young Stalin. Nice work beating me to it.

Bruegel wrote:I'm looking for a brand new hairstyle. - Page 2 Badguys_zpse2e01fbc

^ good album btw
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:06 pm

I haven't cut my hair in way over a year and I don't owe a comb. I have a shitty beard coming in but once that thing takes off, holy shit am I going to be rugged looking.
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Pizzas : 342

Post by chrondog Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:25 pm

other than Golden State Warriors All Star David Lee, this man is my haircut/beard/fashion icon of the moment

I'm looking for a brand new hairstyle. - Page 2 Article-2239221-162B1FD1000005DC-897_634x736
    Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Post by Nick Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:58 am

Good choice, Jasper. Fashion role models of the past several years for me include Rijkaard, Mourinho, Pep and AVB.
    petey
    petey
    Still has http://lotsofpeopleposting.teensboards.com bookmarked

Pizzas : 49

Post by petey Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:19 pm

I assumed all soccer managers are well-dressed but I guess I'm wrong

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/09/sports/soccer/premier-league-soccer-coaches-struggle-with-fashion.html?hpw
    ClosetOfExhaustion
    ClosetOfExhaustion
    Have You Heard?

Pizzas : 275
    Dispositiondisposed

Post by ClosetOfExhaustion Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:32 pm

i'm about 6 months away from medium long haired Dave Grohl. i won't make it that far.
    Gene Bootcut
    Gene Bootcut
    A fanatic of the sketch genre

Pizzas : 441

Post by Gene Bootcut Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:24 pm

petey wrote:I assumed all soccer managers are well-dressed but I guess I'm wrong

Have you seen your own country's national manager.
    petey
    petey
    Still has http://lotsofpeopleposting.teensboards.com bookmarked

Pizzas : 49

Post by petey Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:37 pm

no i haven't. and i guess i was specifically referring to european managers because...they're european?
    undo
    undo
    Internet's Busiest Music Nerd

Pizzas : 1138

Post by undo Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:51 pm

Duff... wrote:
    reuben wrote:I'm looking for a brand new hairstyle. - Page 2 P1010027
    Thanks Reubs.

Though I think that back part is the sort of thing I'm trying to avoid.

The back part is the sort of thing that I really want to get rid of but they never do whenever I get a haircut. I don't know what to do about it.
    Gene Bootcut
    Gene Bootcut

Post by Gene Bootcut Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:16 pm

I can't remember which you're supposed to ask for (blocked?) but I think you can find your solution in this picture:

I'm looking for a brand new hairstyle. - Page 2 Male
    techno raj
    techno raj
    Tub of Lemon Chobani

Post by techno raj Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:12 pm

undo wrote:The back part is the sort of thing that I really want to get rid of but they never do whenever I get a haircut. I don't know what to do about it.

A good barber or stylist can do a full fade in the back and blend it up to as much length as you want on the top. A bad barber or stylist will more likely cut everything roughly the same length.
    Duff...
    Duff...

DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:11 am

Update: went into my barber shop and he asked "Short or medium?" I responded "Actually looking for something on the longer side." And then he gave me basically the same haircut. Think next time I'll bring in a picture of Justin Bieber.
    techno raj
    techno raj
    Tub of Lemon Chobani

Post by techno raj Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:57 am

May need a new barber if he isn't really listening to you. Neutral
    Duff...
    Duff...

DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:33 pm

Maybe, though I can't say I was particularly assertive or that I, like, even knew what I wanted.
    techno raj
    techno raj
    Tub of Lemon Chobani

Post by techno raj Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:49 pm

Try this: Every time you get a haircut, go home and take pictures of the back, front, and sides. Then the next time you go in for a haircut show them the picture and say "we cut it this way last time. This time I'd like the same, but leave about an inch more length in the front" or whatever.
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

Pizzas : 993
    DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:55 pm

Cut my own hair in the mirror tha other night cause there were no more walk in spots. A bit pathetic, but was able to clean up the back without botching anything too bad.
    Duff...
    Duff...

DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:01 pm

raj 2 wrote:Try this: Every time you get a haircut, go home and take pictures of the back, front, and sides. Then the next time you go in for a haircut show them the picture and say "we cut it this way last time. This time I'd like the same, but leave about an inch more length in the front" or whatever.
    Hm, worth a shot.

Not sure why this is a source of anxiety for me but my ideal situation is a I walk in sit down the barber cuts my hair no words are exchanged and I don't look like an idiot.
    Gene Bootcut
    Gene Bootcut

Post by Gene Bootcut Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:01 pm

raj 2 wrote:Try this: Every time you get a haircut, go home and take pictures of the back, front, and sides. Then the next time you go in for a haircut show them the picture and say "we cut it this way last time. This time I'd like the same, but leave about an inch more length in the front" or whatever.

This sounds like a lot of work. Your first suggestion was better, most barbers/hairdressers will listen to you.
    techno raj
    techno raj
    Tub of Lemon Chobani

Post by techno raj Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:27 pm

it takes 30 seconds for me to do it with my cell phone, and then I have the pictures handy next time I get it cut. ykmv
    Gene Bootcut
    Gene Bootcut

Post by Gene Bootcut Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:02 am

I didn't do a very good job of articulating what a Mad Men haircut is and now I look like a white supremacist.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:22 pm