Nick
techno raj
14 posters

what is an expression halfway between "excuse me" and " get out of my way"

techno raj
    techno raj
    Tub of Lemon Chobani

Pizzas : 228

what is an expression halfway between "excuse me" and " get out of my way" Empty what is an expression halfway between "excuse me" and " get out of my way"

Post by techno raj Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:18 pm

I sometimes find the former to be too generous but the latter too brusque. Haven't been able to think of a happy medium that gets it just right.
    Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Pizzas : 978

what is an expression halfway between "excuse me" and " get out of my way" Empty Re: what is an expression halfway between "excuse me" and " get out of my way"

Post by Nick Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:54 pm

What about a strong throat clearing noise?
    yancy
    yancy
    equal parts Skrillex, T. Rex, Ed Kowalczyk, Joe Dumars, Outkast, and Kate Bush

Pizzas : 342

what is an expression halfway between "excuse me" and " get out of my way" Empty Re: what is an expression halfway between "excuse me" and " get out of my way"

Post by yancy Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:08 pm

I just say "sorry!" as I squeeze by whoever's in my way. As if to imply it's my fault I have somewhere to be, and they're the ones being inconvenienced as they block the sidewalk, escalator, etc.
    quip
    quip
    Jasper's Yurt of Enlightened Conversation

Pizzas : 74

Post by quip Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:13 pm

"excuse me" works fine, you just need to change the tone.
    Duff...
    Duff...
    Current Bass Player of UFO

Pizzas : 809
    DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:26 pm

Yes. Make it a statement instead of a request.
    Gene Bootcut
    Gene Bootcut
    A fanatic of the sketch genre

Pizzas : 441

Post by Gene Bootcut Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:08 pm

I don't have the guts to do anything but say 'excuse me' and I usually throw a 'please' on the end. Crying or Very sad
    reuben
    reuben
    President Bannon

Pizzas : 710

Post by reuben Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:10 pm

Just say "hot stuff, coming through" and don't look back.
    techno raj
    techno raj
    Tub of Lemon Chobani

Pizzas : 228

Post by techno raj Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:13 pm

A lot of good suggestions here, thank you

yancy wrote:I just say "sorry!" as I squeeze by whoever's in my way. As if to imply it's my fault I have somewhere to be, and they're the ones being inconvenienced as they block the sidewalk, escalator, etc.

I think I would enjoy this more if I was as tall as Yancy because I could pretend to be a good-natured but careless giant, wrecking havoc wherever I went.
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Pizzas : 342

Post by chrondog Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:17 pm

a good "coming through!" can convey the necessary disgust while not being overtly rude
    reuben
    reuben
    President Bannon

Pizzas : 710

Post by reuben Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:19 pm

Yeah, and if you're already shelling out the "coming through" you might as well throw a "hot stuff" in at the front end for good measure.
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

Pizzas : 993
    DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:32 pm

I like "Heads up!" Preferably while running. Loud but not angry, just enthusiastic.
    damo suzuki
    damo suzuki
    Still has http://lotsofpeopleposting.teensboards.com bookmarked

Pizzas : 61

Post by damo suzuki Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:59 pm

"Excuse me" seems to work for all situations. Just have to be more commanding with your tone.

Also action goes along with it. For example, "Excuse me" and then waiting for someone to reply/respond is too polite.

"Excuse me" without breaking stride or immediately proceeding with the action is just right. Like when you need to get to the subway turnstile or elevator. Just push through with a strong, commanding "Excuse me."
    _
    _
    Bass Player from Creepy D

Pizzas : 60

Post by _ Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:43 pm

say "kick rocks" and slap them on the ass
    Ted Falconi
    Ted Falconi
    Shiek

Pizzas : 394

Post by Ted Falconi Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:04 pm

"Yo!"
    damo suzuki
    damo suzuki
    Still has http://lotsofpeopleposting.teensboards.com bookmarked

Pizzas : 61

Post by damo suzuki Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:22 pm

Problem with "Yo!" is that unless you get the tone just right it can bring a lot of attention to you. Turned heads, awkward glances, etc.
    coyote
    coyote
    A classically handsome man's man in the Huey Lewis mold

Pizzas : 99

Post by coyote Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:37 pm

why should you have to even say anything?
    Duff...
    Duff...
    Current Bass Player of UFO

Pizzas : 809
    DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:38 am

Because eventually you're gonna bury your shoulder into the wrong guy's back and I'd rather not get choke-slammed at the Jackson station.
    Pete Best
    Pete Best
    Solid Bro

Pizzas : 116
    DispositionSweet

Post by Pete Best Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:42 am

I came up with the concept of scrapping my foot across the floor when approaching a slow moving obstacle. Causes them to turn round and get out of the way without me speaking.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:56 pm