yancy
undo
7 posters

why are children afraid of monsters?

undo
    undo
    Internet's Busiest Music Nerd

Pizzas : 1138

why are children afraid of monsters? Empty why are children afraid of monsters?

Post by undo Fri May 31, 2013 11:08 pm

how do they find out about them?
    Anonymous

why are children afraid of monsters? Empty Re: why are children afraid of monsters?

Post by Guest Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:32 am

I don't know but it sucks. I have distinct memories of trying to fall asleep and knowing that those fuckers were going to run up on me. It got so bad that my parents actually made something called "Monster Spray" and would run around my room spraying this shit in my closets and under my bed so that I would fall asleep.

Years later I found out that "Monster Spray" was nothing but water and my pediatrician was behind the whole charade. This is where my hypochondria stems from. Doctors are all liars and crooks and since I was 4 they have been assholes to me.

Don't lie to your kids. Just go buy a wheelbarrow and start brewing up some real, potent ass "Monster Spray" for your little ones.
    yancy
    yancy
    equal parts Skrillex, T. Rex, Ed Kowalczyk, Joe Dumars, Outkast, and Kate Bush

Pizzas : 342

why are children afraid of monsters? Empty Re: why are children afraid of monsters?

Post by yancy Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:12 am

Seems like human nature to invent & fear monsters as soon as you're old enough to imagine them. Of course it doesn't help that monster imagery & stories are nearly unavoidable.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:29 am

Yeah, I mean have you ever looked into complete darkness? It's fucking terrifying and makes you realize that not having echolocation is something very much lacking for the human condition.
    reuben
    reuben
    President Bannon

Pizzas : 710

Post by reuben Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:40 am

yancy wrote:Seems like human nature to invent & fear monsters as soon as you're old enough to imagine them. Of course it doesn't help that monster imagery & stories are nearly unavoidable.
    This sounds right to me. It's hard to avoid. Even seemingly harmless books like Frog and Toad have stories about nightmares, ghosts and monsters.

Maybe it's a coping mechanism to channel real and confusing feelings of fear and helplessness into a creature of one's own imagination in order to control or process those feelings. I don't know.
    Bruegel
    Bruegel
    basically just a wordier, shittier sausage blurb

Pizzas : 453

Post by Bruegel Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:10 am

yeah, parents, concentrate on educating your kids about the horrors of war, pestilence and pederasty so they don't waste time worrying about silly boogiemen.
    zappo
    zappo
    Supermasculine Menial

Pizzas : 870

Post by zappo Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:29 am

wp64 wrote:Yeah, I mean have you ever looked into complete darkness? It's fucking terrifying and makes you realize that not having echolocation is something very much lacking for the human condition.

Yeah, this is definitely what I was always thinking, when I was four.
    vIv
    vIv
    Volunteer worker

Pizzas : 89

Post by vIv Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:02 pm

Miniboss has taken to leashing up our geriatric aussie shepherd to his bedpost at night as a front line defense against monsters.
    quip
    quip
    Jasper's Yurt of Enlightened Conversation

Pizzas : 74

Post by quip Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:54 am

jr could take or leave monsters. but any bugs that he sees he freaks out about. this may be a long, long summer.
    quip
    quip
    Jasper's Yurt of Enlightened Conversation

Pizzas : 74

Post by quip Mon Dec 29, 2014 4:26 pm

reuben wrote:Even seemingly harmless books like Frog and Toad have stories about nightmares, ghosts and monsters.

"The Shivers" is one of jr's favorite Frog and Toad stories.

Last night he woke up screaming from a nightmare for the first time and it took almost 20 minutes to settle him back down to go to bed. I felt really bad for the little dude. When I asked him about it this morning he said it was something about a "crocodile eating mommy."

Heavy shit right there.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:20 pm