Bruegel
monotony
12 posters

Monotony's grand european adventure

monotony
    monotony
    Vanity-published Eco-horror Fiction Writer

Pizzas : 65

Monotony's grand european adventure Empty Monotony's grand european adventure

Post by monotony Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:43 am

I'm spending the final semester of my law degree on exchange at Paris II University (Panthéon-Assas) in Paris. That formally starts in late September but I'll be flying initially into London on September 4 for a few days in the UK before I prends le train to Paris on the 9th or so.

I would welcome any suggestions for London activities (or Paris activities / general European activities)! Also if anyone by any chance happens to have a friend with Parisian lodgings and a spare room, I'd be most appreciative if you could get me in contact.
    Bruegel
    Bruegel
    basically just a wordier, shittier sausage blurb

Pizzas : 453

Monotony's grand european adventure Empty Re: Monotony's grand european adventure

Post by Bruegel Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:31 am

I'll have a think on activities. Pretty sure I'm out of the country for the Mrs birthday that week.
    monotony
    monotony

Monotony's grand european adventure Empty Re: Monotony's grand european adventure

Post by monotony Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:21 am

Would be glad to hear from you. Notsomuch looking for "touristy" stuff, moreso places to eat, drink, record shops to have a gander at, &c.
    Pete Best
    Pete Best
    Solid Bro

Pizzas : 116
    DispositionSweet

Post by Pete Best Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:28 am

Rough Trade East should be top of that list.
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

Pizzas : 993
    DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:32 pm

only reason i haven't chimed in yet is that I think I might be in some other country during this time. Obviously, I'd love to come hang out with you at your grand european adventure party.
    Gene Bootcut
    Gene Bootcut
    A fanatic of the sketch genre

Pizzas : 441

Post by Gene Bootcut Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:47 pm

I don't want to jinx myself, but I think I'll be out of the country too. A lot closer to Paris than London, so perhaps there's still hope.
    rubberman
    rubberman
    Gash Hound

Pizzas : 4

Post by rubberman Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:43 pm

next (school) year i'll be in a little 'studio' in the middle of paris (5e arrondissement, a couple bocks away from assas), wont have too much space there sadly

otherwise i might ask people if they have a spare room or something, or else you can always rent a little place for yourself, i know many of my classmates (most of them come from the countryside and shit) do and it seems p cool

there are two record shops right on my street, one jazz and the other more diverse i think, never been inside though :sadlol:

monotony
    monotony

Post by monotony Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:21 pm

rubberman wrote:else you can always rent a little place for yourself

this is certainly my plan, but the french consulate apparently requires "proof of accommodation for your entire stay" for me to get a student visa, and i'm not going to enter into a rental agreement without seeing a place in person, otherwise i'm leaving myself too susceptible to scams etc

so basically i think i need to just provide the consulate with an address of a parisian contact and get that contact to write a letter saying i'll be living there for the semester and then go off and find accommodation myself once i arrive
    Duff...
    Duff...
    Current Bass Player of UFO

Pizzas : 809
    DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:48 pm

Weird catch-22. This is Obama's America.
    monotony
    monotony

Post by monotony Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:04 am

any recommendations as to locations for a hostel / airbnb / some other form of digs in london? i'm not really too familiar with the city so i don't know where's good and where's dodgy. just looking for somewhere central essentially, or if not, somewhere close to a tubestop will do.

incidentally i now have a room in a paris apartment via a friend of a friend of a friend in montmartre, which isn't really that close to the university i'll be attending but the commute shouldn't be too long.
    Gene Bootcut
    Gene Bootcut

Post by Gene Bootcut Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:31 am

I can't help you with recommendations on where to stay (always crashed with friends) but I don't think you should be too concerned with ending up in central London*, that area's super expensive and there's a station in basically every area.

*Unless you mean central as opposed to suburban.
    rubberman
    rubberman
    Gash Hound

Post by rubberman Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:39 pm

montmartre is probably paris's best neighbourhood tbh

also turns out i'll probably attend uni (well, not exactly i guess it's closer to college than uni) in Metz, which is quite fucking far away from Paname. Will probz manage to come back home every weekend or so, but still. We could've been neighbours Sad
    Gene Bootcut
    Gene Bootcut

Post by Gene Bootcut Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:58 pm

rubberman wrote: it's closer to college than uni

rubberman, are you British.
    zappo
    zappo
    Supermasculine Menial

Pizzas : 870

Post by zappo Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:16 pm

Rubberman, does your enjoyment of the musical stylings of araabMUZIK mean that you also enjoy Killa?
    Gene Bootcut
    Gene Bootcut

Post by Gene Bootcut Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:27 pm

I just read rubberman's post again and I think he's actually French.
    undo
    undo
    Internet's Busiest Music Nerd

Pizzas : 1138

Post by undo Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:57 pm

my coworker's husband is in London right now

reportedly, he's too afraid to leave his hotel room because of the terror alert
    Pete Best
    Pete Best
    Solid Bro

Pizzas : 116
    DispositionSweet

Post by Pete Best Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:15 am

Actual LOL.

Anyone want to tell him that unless he's in Yemen he shouldn't give two shits about it.
    rubberman
    rubberman
    Gash Hound

Post by rubberman Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:38 pm

zappo wrote:Rubberman, does your enjoyment of the musical stylings of araabMUZIK mean that you also enjoy Killa?

i love electronic dream, but havent heard araab's more recent stuff

i have no idea what killa is though (i read it as 'zilla' at first, which...totally isnt the same thing i guess)

chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Pizzas : 342

Post by chrondog Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:37 pm

rubberman wrote:i have no idea what killa is though

definition of a imlikewhoa
    Bruegel
    Bruegel
    basically just a wordier, shittier sausage blurb

Pizzas : 453

Post by Bruegel Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:28 am

monotony wrote:any recommendations as to locations for a hostel / airbnb / some other form of digs in london? i'm not really too familiar with the city so i don't know where's good and where's dodgy. just looking for somewhere central essentially, or if not, somewhere close to a tubestop will do.
    if you're willing to embrace your inner hipster there's a hostel on Kingsland Road. probably fairly loud but you'd be in the middle of shit. good location to strike out for the touristy stuff too...

http://www.thedictionaryhostel.com/
    zappo
    zappo
    Supermasculine Menial

Post by zappo Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:51 pm

Killa, the original hooligan at Houlihan's and Sushi King of Harlem, is the dude who gave araabMUZIK his first 200 jobs, back in 2006.  This isn't one of them, but it is all things Killa.

When araabMUZIK got shot, a few months ago, I doubt I was the only one who wondered if it had anything to do with Cam's Lamborghini.

https://lopp2.forumotion.com/t242-killa
    reuben
    reuben
    President Bannon

Pizzas : 710

Post by reuben Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:54 pm

Zappo I've read that post seven times and I still have no idea what you're talking about.
    zappo
    zappo
    Supermasculine Menial

Post by zappo Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:56 pm

Dipset, bitch. All day, every day.
    zappo
    zappo
    Supermasculine Menial

Post by zappo Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:00 pm

Ft. Omar Little

monotony
    monotony

Post by monotony Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:52 am

Update - currently at Melbourne airport waiting to check in. Will be in London by Wednesday evening local time, there til Monday. Staying just north of hyde park. Further suggestions as to good eateries and drinkeries welcomed. If any of ye are around then let me know!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content