Yawn Yeller

Pizzas : 997
    DispositionRock Guitars

Trayvon Martin - Page 2 Empty Re: Trayvon Martin

Post by Ned Braden Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:43 pm

raj gibson wrote:
    Ned Braden wrote:In Conclusion
    Fuck life.

Maybe you are already doing this, but the best thing you (and everyone angered by this) can do is take action for change. There will be opportunities to support the End Racial Profiling Act. Probably lots of other ways to take action too in the wake of the trial's conclusion.

It's fine to vent on message boards but doing something concrete might be the only way to make yourself really feel better.

This is great advice, really. I never contribute money, effort, time or really anything to any cause. In the past I've attributed this to being too busy and too young to give the extra effort. As a 31 year old with a job, I've been thinking it's probably about time to grow up, maybe some contributions to the sort of thing you mention above would be a good start. As far as long term, I'd love to be in a position someday to actually help out a bro or two who gets stuck on the wrong side of the law. Honestly thinking about trying to scam the Navy into sending me to law school, but not sure how difficult that will be. Fucking sequestration man!
    reuben
    reuben
    President Bannon

Pizzas : 710

Post by reuben Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:57 pm

Ned if you didn't have such a well defined internet presence I would suggest you run for office.
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:39 am

I always just sort of assumed I was too poor for that. Don't you have to be a millionaire to be a politician? Or is that just Chicago-tinted stereotyping?
    Where does one normally start a career in politics? Mayor of hometown suburb? I could totally get down with running for mayor. Probably have to do an internet sweep for incriminating evidence first.
    Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Pizzas : 978

Post by Nick Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:36 am

I think unless you are wealthy, seriously connected and/or have questionable business dealings that you've used to leverage favors a small town politician is the highest you can aspire to be.
    ClosetOfExhaustion
    ClosetOfExhaustion
    Have You Heard?

Pizzas : 275
    Dispositiondisposed

Post by ClosetOfExhaustion Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:35 am

Ned Braden wrote:I always just sort of assumed I was too poor for that. Don't you have to be a millionaire to be a politician? Or is that just Chicago-tinted stereotyping?
    Where does one normally start a career in politics? Mayor of hometown suburb? I could totally get down with running for mayor. Probably have to do an internet sweep for incriminating evidence first.

working in the office of an established politician is a potentially worthwhile inroad, however it probably tends in to ingrain in you the wrong way of doing things to ensure the establishment continues with minor fluctuations over time.
    reuben
    reuben
    President Bannon

Post by reuben Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:37 am

I picture you being groomed by a Chicago political boss and then turning on him as soon as you have enough wealth and power Great McGinty-style.
    reuben
    reuben
    President Bannon

Post by reuben Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:38 am

Anyway all you need is ego and charisma and the money will follow.
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:45 pm

Daily Mail chugs cock - Trayvon Martin character smearing edition:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2120504/Trayvon-Martin-case-He-suspended-times-caught-burglary-tool.html
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Pizzas : 342

Post by chrondog Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:50 pm

raj gibson wrote:Maybe you are already doing this, but the best thing you (and everyone angered by this) can do is take action for change. There will be opportunities to support the End Racial Profiling Act.

LOL, Raj

another fine example of moderate trolling
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Post by chrondog Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:02 pm

the best way i know how to deal with the anger of a cosmic injustice is to realize, hey, i really didn't do anything to cause this mess and there really isn't anything i can do to directly prevent it from happening again. as an individual i am not in control of the world around me.

i can support a progressive and tolerant set of political views and advocate for them when possible, but my views and voice alone is unlikely to effect anything. i am but one part of the electorate, the people, the consensus. when i try to create a direct cause and effect between my political beliefs and actions and real world consequences, i will be sad and defeated.

everything in America is not a reflection of who you are.
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Post by chrondog Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:05 pm

Florida is not my state. they don't follow the same laws i live under. i have never been there. me or my family have never voted on their laws.

i think there is a problem with the notion of "American justice" because we have a federalist system that treats criminals in different states differently. how can the Trayvon Martin case be something that is a lesson for all Americans when it is an example of justice applied to a specific case in a specific Florida county?
    reuben
    reuben
    President Bannon

Post by reuben Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:06 pm

If I ever have a son I'm going to name him Trayvon.
    yancy
    yancy
    equal parts Skrillex, T. Rex, Ed Kowalczyk, Joe Dumars, Outkast, and Kate Bush

Post by yancy Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:07 pm

Whenever I get sad or angry about a Trayvon situation, I remind myself that thousands of people per day are killed for no reason, die of starvation, etc. somewhere on earth. Which of course is way sadder, but too large an injustice to wrap my head around & spend time fretting over. Almost feels selfish to have millions of people focus all their world-changing energy on a single american kid. I realize the issue is about more than one kid, but you know.
    techno raj
    techno raj
    Baller Ass Taco

Pizzas : 231

Post by techno raj Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:44 pm

I agree that zooming out and getting some perspective is valuable. It's the same thing I've said when people here have raged over past RWS injustices. Doesn't really change the advice I offer here though - there doesn't need to be a dramatic, direct, or immediate payoff for contributing to a cause you think is right.
    Ted Falconi
    Ted Falconi
    Shiek

Pizzas : 394

Post by Ted Falconi Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:51 pm

raj gibson wrote:but the best thing you (and everyone angered by this) can do is take action for change.

Gene Bootcut
    Gene Bootcut
    A fanatic of the sketch genre

Pizzas : 441

Post by Gene Bootcut Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:00 pm

Dear George Zimmerman,

For the rest of your life you are now going to feel what its like to be a black man in America.

You will feel people stare at you. Judging you for what you think are unfair reasons. You will lose out on getting jobs for something you feel is outside of your control. You will believe yourself to be an upstanding citizen and wonder why people choose to not see that.

People will cross the street when they see you coming. They will call you hurtful names. It will drive you so insane some days that you'll want to scream at the top of your lungs. But you will have to wake up the next day, put on firm look and push through life.

I bet you never thought that by shooting a black male you'd end up inheriting all of his struggles.

Enjoy your "freedom."

Sincerely,

A black male who could've been Trayvon Martin
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Post by chrondog Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:06 pm

raj gibson wrote:I agree that zooming out and getting some perspective is valuable. It's the same thing I've said when people here have raged over past RWS injustices. Doesn't really change the advice I offer here though - there doesn't need to be a dramatic, direct, or immediate payoff for contributing to a cause you think is right.

preach brother, i'm just a downer
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:05 pm

Cool Questlove blurb
    undo
    undo
    Internet's Busiest Music Nerd

Pizzas : 1143

Post by undo Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:14 pm

Trayvon Martin - Page 2 Ncby

there are literally hundreds of posts like this across the Internet, maybe more. don't know why I let them upset me but reading literally dozens of posts like this in the days that followed the verdict really fucked me up.
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:16 pm

100% Agreed! As black man, this case was over blown. As much Zimmerman is an asshole for following that kid, that kid was mounted on him and could've killed him. I call it self defense. G

how often do you think these "as a black man" posts are actually written by white guys?

I've seen this tactic used over and over again and I know there's no way to prove that's what's happening but c'mon
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:26 pm

where's the outrage over [crime committed by black man]? the media is too biased to report any crimes committed by blacks

people upset about Trayvon Martin's death are total hypocrites! last weekend, 12 people were shot in Obama's hometown of Chicago. where is the outrage?

the media is obsessed with making this crime about race, but won't report on the wave of black-on-white crime that's sweeping the nation!

funny how you liberals care more about one kid than about the 500 murders that happened last year in Chicago

etc
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:30 pm

^ yeah, that one right there. That is the one constantly causing me to lose my shit.
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:32 pm

http://www.myfoxdc.com/story/22850763/jogger-says-he-was-attacked-in-retaliation-for-zimmerman-verdict#axzz2Z8TvGzrd

A man who says he was jogging alongside of a road when three black men abducted and beat him claims the alleged attack was in retaliation for George Zimmerman’s acquittal, police in Senatobia, Miss. told Fox News.

Police Chief Steve Holts told Fox News the alleged victim, who is white, was jogging Sunday night along Highway 51 when, he said, the suspects pulled over and ordered him to get inside their car.

“One of them asked, ‘Do you know who Trayvon Martin was?’” Holts quoted the man as saying. At that point, the men in the vehicle allegedly attacked him. The man, who the chief described as a young resident of the area, was treated at a local hospital.

Memphis television station WREG reported the assailants allegedly told the victim, “This is for Trayvon.” The television station and The Democrat newspaper reported the jogger was badly beaten and later dropped off on a road between Senatobia and Coldwater, Miss.

there's a ton of bullshit stories like this going around the web and so far none of them have been verified

undo
    undo

Post by undo Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:34 pm

I'm going through a ton of shit this summer, this is the fucking straw that broke my brain and I don't think there's any going back from here
    Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Pizzas : 978

Post by Nick Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:51 pm

I'm jealous of you then because I think I lost faith in humanity when I was 6. You've had a good run, bro!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 10, 2024 6:18 pm