Post by WP64 Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:35 am

That's fucking awesome. Have fun!
    undo
    undo
    Internet's Busiest Music Nerd

Pizzas : 1145

this is a basketball thread - Page 14 Empty Re: this is a basketball thread

Post by undo Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:43 am

I knew they were going to lose this game.
    WP64
    WP64
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Pizzas : 67
    DispositionIntransigent

Post by WP64 Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:54 pm

How was it? Did you snag any of that American Express swag they were handing out?
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:33 pm

It was a small candle in a handsome tin, packaged in a handsome canvas bag. I didn't realize it was a big deal and that people who weren't there would even know about it.
    WP64
    WP64
    Mystery Thread Deleter

DispositionIntransigent

Post by WP64 Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:19 pm

I was mostly kidding. They were showing the giveaway during the game for advertisement purposes and since I knew you were there I just thought it was kind of funny.
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:04 am

I "got back into" the Bulls in the 2008 season, Rose's rookie year. My memories of actually watching them at the time are really foggy. I didn't have cable and was only able to watch games on really random, limited occasions. Honestly, I only remember watching 2 games in between then and game 6 of the 1998 Finals. Both of those were wretched experiences redeemed only by eating pizza with friends and I don't blame anyone for ditching the team during the early 2000s.

this is a basketball thread - Page 14 Noah-Deng-Rose-Boozer

I always felt like I was watching something important and special during these years. I couldn't tell you if I felt a sense of entitlement because the championships came so easily when I was a kid. I knew perfectly well how hard it was for the Bulls to get past the Pistons back then, I'm old enough to remember them getting their asses kicked and how bad that felt. But the 3-peats probably instilled a sense of inevitability in me that set me up for terrible disappointment.

My memories of the 2010/2011 season are ridiculously foggy. How could this be? The Bulls won 62 games and got 1st place in the East. They were up 1-0 in the conference finals. I think I was going through some shit and couldn't pay as much attention to this as I needed to and surely would have if I wasn't caught up in such a sense of they'll-be-back-next-year-and-even-better, which never really went away.

Rose's injury, Noah's decline, Lebron stopping them again and then again a third time, and then missing the playoffs last season, I don't have to make you relive this, but the verdict was that this team was finished and this year would be a waste of time, not even the beginning of rebuilding, which isn't even a plan, as far as I'm concerned. You never know how things are going to pan out, you can't tank for a year or two and then come back strong, it doesn't work that way.

I was depressed as hell when Rose and Noah left. I knew they could never return to the level they were playing at 3, 4, 5 years ago. But that team had an identity that rekindled my love of basketball and sports, built itself up from the ground up and that felt special. That's so hard to do. Those teams inspired me, showed me some of the most beautiful basketball I'd ever watched I wanted to root for them this season but try to take away some lesson from everything that happened over the past 7 years that would help me learn how to deal with disappointment. Instead, I just got sucked back into it this year, and from the preseason through the middle of November, it was so convincing. 

I don't even have words for what they're doing right now, it's just nauseating. They might bounce back and get a good win streak or two, but who knows?
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:58 am

I have it on good authority that Fred Hoiberg showed that post to everyone before the game tonight.
    WP64
    WP64
    Mystery Thread Deleter

DispositionIntransigent

Post by WP64 Fri Dec 23, 2016 3:30 am

I didn't know anything about Steve Kerr's background so reading this just totally blew my mind.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/22/sports/basketball/steve-kerr-golden-state-warriors.html
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Pizzas : 342

Post by chrondog Fri Dec 23, 2016 3:44 pm

Bay Area columnist Ann Killion made some good points on this the other day: http://www.sfchronicle.com/warriors/article/Kerr-has-become-a-Bay-Area-treasure-10812030.php

Kerr is a true scholar and a gentleman and we're lucky to have him in the Bay along with fantastic dude Kevin Durant. Beyond basketball, it's fantastic to have our team represented by such great people.
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:07 am

undo
    undo

Post by undo Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:32 pm

They play music during every single possession in Cleveland. It literally never stops, it's really annoying and there has to be some kind of rule against this.
    zappo
    zappo
    Supermasculine Menial

Pizzas : 876

Post by zappo Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:03 pm

Came here to make a similar post. Jesus. It's relentless.
    WP64
    WP64
    Mystery Thread Deleter

DispositionIntransigent

Post by WP64 Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:22 am

About a week ago at the UC they were playing a really obnoxious, screechy version of a Christmas tune during some of Jimmy's free throws and he tossed the ball back to the ref and waited for them to cut the sound.

Jimmy has been playing out of his mind the past few nights but this team is garbage. I really liked Undo's post. I never got to watch Jordan play because I was four years old when he retired so it wasn't until the Rose/Thibs era that I really got into basketball. Rooting for those teams was really fun. Ever since Thibs departed this team has lacked a solid identity and has just been awkwardly decaying.

I would have preferred they just rebuild entirely and the Hondo and Wade moves were both really dumb. Honestly, I hope they don't make the playoffs this year because it will force Hoiberg out (even though I don't think he is the problem), and more importantly it should mean some changes in the front office.
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:27 pm

lol
    zappo
    zappo
    Supermasculine Menial

Post by zappo Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:25 am

this is a basketball thread - Page 14 C1x6f41VEAACy_d
    zappo
    zappo
    Supermasculine Menial

Post by zappo Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:48 pm

Hondo strikes back!  God DAMN!

My vets would never go to the media. They would come to the team. My vets didn't pick and choose when they wanted to bring it. They brought it every time they stepped in the gym whether it was practice or a game. They didn't take days off. My vets didn't care about their numbers. My vets played for the team. When we lost, they wouldn't blame us. They took responsibility and got in the gym. They showed the young guys what it meant to work. Even in Boston when we had the best record in the league, if we lost a game, you could hear a pin drop on the bus. They showed us the seriousness of the game. My vets didn't have an influence on the coaching staff. They couldn't change the plan because it didn't work for them. I played under one of the greatest coaches, and he held everyone accountable. It takes 1-15 to win. When you isolate everyone, you can't win consistently. I may be a lot of things, but I'm not a bad teammate. My goal is to pass what I learned along. The young guys work. They show up. They don't deserve blame. If anything is questionable, it's the leadership.

A photo posted by Rajon Hondo (@rajonrondo) on

WP64
    WP64
    Mystery Thread Deleter

DispositionIntransigent

Post by WP64 Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:34 pm

I don't know if I mind Hondo's comments. I know Butler works his ass off on the court and is a legitimate two-way player, but I have long since tired of the same comments after these inexcusable defeats. You don't call out your own players like that.

The problem is with the FO, period (to use Spicer language). They should have traded Butler to the Celtics or T'Wolves at the beginning of this year for either Dunn or Thomas plus a bunch of picks. I sincerely hope they don't make the playoffs this year because it will force the team to make some drastic personnel changes. Unfortunately, I expect the needed changes probably still won't come.
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:33 am

Nights like this I'm glad I don't have cable television in my home.
    BGwaves
    BGwaves
    basically just a wordier, shittier sausage blurb

Pizzas : 284
    DispositionBLACK..... coffee in bed

Post by BGwaves Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:25 pm

The game in question was a ridiculous loss. I agree about the comments on social media but someone is fucking up when you run 19-2 in like 2 mins! Especially after not allowing a lead until the end of the 4th quarter!!!
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Post by chrondog Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:58 pm

had a great time at the Moda Center last night cheering on my Golden State Warriors sans Stephen Curry. tickets for the Warriors games here are always over $100 for weeks before the game, then drop precipitously on gameday. i picked up two for ~$60 each three hours before the game and went with a ladyfriend who is also from the Bay Area and goes to school up here. i dilly-dallied and then drank beer at her place for awhile before heading over, so we miss the entire first half lol. Portland public transit is pretty nice, so we caught a train from her apartment to the area in 20 minutes.

what followed was an extremely entertaining second half, a typically dominant performance from Mason Plumlee against the Warriors (this frustrates me to no end), the most unexpected sequence i've seen this season (Iguodala brought the ball up the court twice and hit back to back pull up 3s), and an outrageous final 30 seconds. the foul game at the end of close contests seems to have fallen out of style and teams are usually super sloppy in trying come back in the final minutes. the Blazers were perfect though and could've won the game.

while walking out of the arena and waving bye bye to all the Blazers fans in my Draymond Green jersey, an older gentleman came up to me and said "you guys got lucky tonight." my fully instinctive defense was "you guys have Evan Turner on your team."
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:32 pm

this is a basketball thread - Page 14 C32o2PgVYAA9w_4

harshrealmbro
    zappo
    zappo
    Supermasculine Menial

Post by zappo Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:53 pm

Obviously 100% Thibs's fault. Starters should never play in games.
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Post by chrondog Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:13 pm

Mike Conley has some clean ass handles. I love watching him dribble.
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Post by chrondog Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:19 pm

honestly, not fair we sweep the season series with the Blazers, then they trade Plumdog Millionaire to the Nugz so we have to play him again. he's always killing the Warriors. we don't have a great matchup for young, athletic bigs.
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Post by chrondog Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:02 am

how can i get this as a tattoo?

this is a basketball thread - Page 14 C41ZRMNUEAA6t3e

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 12:47 am