15 posters

Cooking Thread

damo suzuki
    damo suzuki
    Still has http://lotsofpeopleposting.teensboards.com bookmarked

Pizzas : 61

Cooking Thread - Page 4 Empty Re: Cooking Thread

Post by damo suzuki Mon Dec 13, 2021 11:26 pm

Duff... wrote:I've had the skillet for less than a year, so I'm still figuring it out. I season with vegetable oil after every use, so I don't think that's it
    I will take your word for it. But also keep in mind  seasoning your pan with vegetable oil (not the best option but fine enough) even after each use may not be enough to season a cast-iron pan.

Sometimes you have to give it several passes in a high heat oven (up to 500 degrees) for a long time. There are other factors that play into this and I am not trying to say you are wrong.

Though something to keep in mind if your seasoning is not where it ought to be one day. It's always fixable.

They sell seasoning sticks on Amazon for $10. They look like a chapstick or deodorant stick. Made with Bee's Wax and either Grapeseed or Flaxseed Oil. They are superior to the "sprays" in every way and the bees wax helps polymerize evenly where traditional methods are little more finicky.

If you find you need to reseason, I highly recommend.

This could be it. Recipe asked for a TBSP of vegetable oil, by the time the pork seared there wasn't much oil in there.
    Maybe so. Do not be afraid to hit it with a little liquid before going in the oven. That goes for many dishes. A little water, stock, white wine or cognac can prevent smoking and also elevate the dish. Be reasonable, probably don't dump 8 cups of liquid in there for 3lb roast, but I'm sure you get it.
    Duff...
    Duff...
    Current Bass Player of UFO

Pizzas : 810
    DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Tue Dec 21, 2021 12:29 pm

Like I said, I'm new to all of this. I've been going by Cook's Illustrated and Lodge websites, which just say vegetable oil. I also don't really know what it looks or feels like to have a properly seasoned skillet, so the possibility that I'm not doing this exactly right is high, sure. But given what happened, not enough liquid seems to be the most likely culprit. Thanks for the help, I have some things to consider.
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Pizzas : 342

Post by chrondog Tue Dec 21, 2021 2:35 pm

Sometimes shit just smokes too. I recently re-seasoned my cast iron by cleaning it, lightly oiling it, and shoving it in the oven upside down for an hour at nearly 500 degrees. It's nice and slick now, but there was still a lot of smell in the kitchen. You are carbonizing oil after all.

If your basic vegetable oil is burning, you may also want to try a fancier oil with a higher smoke point. "Vegetable oil" isn't a real thing, so whatever oil it actually is could be too refined to have a nice high smoke point.
    Duff...
    Duff...
    Current Bass Player of UFO

Pizzas : 810
    DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Tue Dec 21, 2021 5:30 pm

Yeah, I think it's soybean.

Considering using avocado oil for this procedure next time.
    damo suzuki
    damo suzuki

Post by damo suzuki Tue Dec 28, 2021 2:52 pm

chrondog wrote:Sometimes shit just smokes too. I recently re-seasoned my cast iron by cleaning it, lightly oiling it, and shoving it in the oven upside down for an hour at nearly 500 degrees. It's nice and slick now, but there was still a lot of smell in the kitchen. You are carbonizing oil after all.

If your basic vegetable oil is burning, you may also want to try a fancier oil with a higher smoke point. "Vegetable oil" isn't a real thing, so whatever oil it actually is could be too refined to have a nice high smoke point.
    This is also true.
    BGwaves
    BGwaves
    basically just a wordier, shittier sausage blurb

Pizzas : 283
    DispositionBLACK..... coffee in bed

Post by BGwaves Sun Nov 06, 2022 7:21 pm

Making BIRRIA for the first time today. The house smells incredible.

3 lb Chuck
    1 lb short ribs
    4 guajillo chilis (deseeded)
    2 ancho chilis (deseeded)
    1 giant carrot (quartered)
    1 giant white onion (halved)
    1 bulb garlic (I broke it down but every recipe says toss it in whole)
    2 cups chicken stock
    4 cups water
    1 tbsp cumin
    1 tsp chili powder
    1 tsp cayenne
    1 tsp orageno
    1 tsp salt
    1/4 tsp black pepper
    5 bay leaves

Brown the meat, toss the rest of the ingredients in and let simmer until meat breaks apart. Take the meat out and and the remaining ingredients (take bones out) to a blender with a can of diced tomatoes (or fresh, I only had canned…) for the consume.

Served as tacos with corn tortillas, cilantro, onion, and chihuahua cheese.

damo suzuki
    damo suzuki

Post by damo suzuki Sun Nov 20, 2022 7:11 pm

Made a killer "Sunday Sauce" for dinner. My kids are coming over.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 7:11 am