tjenz
Ted Falconi
21 posters

The Donald J. Trump Presidency

Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Pizzas : 980

The Donald J. Trump Presidency - Page 4 Empty Re: The Donald J. Trump Presidency

Post by Nick Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:26 am

I feel dead inside.
    WP64
    WP64
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Pizzas : 67
    DispositionIntransigent

The Donald J. Trump Presidency - Page 4 Empty Re: The Donald J. Trump Presidency

Post by WP64 Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:48 am

Yeah, I just watched Barack and Michele greet them and I feel like throwing up now.
    WP64
    WP64
    Mystery Thread Deleter

DispositionIntransigent

Post by WP64 Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:53 am

Also, Undo, I would not stress the contradictions between your politics and chosen modes of political performance. It's perfectly rational to fear the potential repercussions of your loved ones engaging in political protest. You are being realistic and cautious and that is very different that acquiescence. I have a similar tension, because I'm also very conservative in how I behave and I have a healthy respect for certain norms, like not destroying property (public or private) as a symbol of political struggle. I also consider myself, probably, somewhat of a Marxist and I don't see that as a contradiction.

I've decided against going to the protests downtown. Instead I am going to a talk on campus that the History Department is sponsoring. It seems like a more appropriate and sober atmosphere that I can share with like minded individuals. If anyone does go, be safe but also post about what it was like on the board

I love all of you guys. Best of luck managing your emotions today.
    zappo
    zappo
    Supermasculine Menial

Pizzas : 876

Post by zappo Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:40 pm

Jeff wrote:I'm about two blocks west on K Street from the police clashes. I just want some Noodles & Company!
    undo
    undo
    Internet's Busiest Music Nerd

Pizzas : 1145

Post by undo Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:01 pm

ryan @ Jan 21 2005, on 07:03 PM, said:
    It was an incredible experience.

Got back into Chicago this morning at about 8:00. Tired, sore, a bit swampy, but feeling pretty satisfied. I've never experienced anything like the crowd's reaction when the animal's limo rolled on past. We had been out there (such a great turnout) doing what you'd expect with the rallies, speeches, chants, discussions, and wishing they provided port-a-pots in our area like they did in the "special guest," area. Fortunately, all the mink coat mothers, red nosed husbands, and their cherub like offspring were forced to walk RIGHT through the primary counter-inaugural area. I'm willing to bet one of the designers of that layout lost their job the next morning. So there are no bathrooms or food within any reasonable distance of where we're staked out for half a dozen hours in the 25 degree weather and we're being baited and sneered at by these brash Bush supporters trailing through. Needless to say, things came to a head eventually. Basically any law enforcement vehicle, limo, or tour bus emblazoned with the "W" or cowboy hat insignia that passed by us, felt us. They had cops two deep and shoulder to shoulder down the length of the street that had to maintain composure while this crowd leaned over the barrier and berated everything that went by with obscenities. ((I just realized I'm ranting and raving. I'm on no sleep, so please excuse my incoherence.))

Back to where I was going though. When Bush's limo went by things got primal. The dudes on the drums abandoned all rhythm and just started pounding out like machine guns. Everybody pushed forward and was perched on the tips of their toes. You could see and feel the body language of everyone morph from a loose cold weather bob to strained muscles and clenched teeth. Every single sign shot up, along with every middle finger. Then came the noise...holy fucking shit...the noise. I've heard about the "hounds of hell," and I can now nod knowingly when I hear the term.

Fuck, fuck you, fuck you motherfucking father fucking fuckwad, fuck you murderer, I'd kill you if I had the chance, I'll kill you if they let me past, I'll find my way to you one of these days and end your life, murderer, killer, bastard, devil, satan, hitler...

and plenty of other magical phrases emerged from that collective howl. It's amazing what was said that went without a response from the security. The barriers were pushed to their limit and you saw the concern just drop like a shroud over the cops in the streets. The monkey president's limo was pressed firmly against the opposite corner from ours, where the largest demonstration was being held. Luckily (I think...) he came and went fast enough that the crowd lost their target and leaned back enough to save the barriers from going down. If the barriers had went down, every one of us would have been on the streets and I don't even want to think about what would have happened at that point.

The security there was like something from a fucking movie. I have some pictures, but they're on a disposable, so when I get around to it I'll try to toss a few up. They frisked EVERY PERSON (I shouldn't say EVERY, because something tells me plenty of donors and such received complimentary blowjobs before entry) that seeked entrance into the streets surrounding the parade. It was roughly a three hour wait in line to get through the security check point and we actually got there relatively early. Thousands of people were still behind us when we got through, so I question how many actually got in. There were snipers and masked cameramen on top of damn near every building. I understand that intimidation was probably the motive, but this was ridiculous. At one point we organized about 200 people to smile, wave, and shout at one of the roof top posts. In a matter of seconds all five or six figures had ducked down out of sight. Lots of weird shit like that was going on all over the place.

I guess that's one crazy protestor's disjointed point of view from the inaugural celebration. We spent over 30 hours on the bus between Wednesday evening and Friday morning. I met some awesome people on our buses over the short trip, and really got a taste for the eccentric crowd that made up the entire demonstration itself. The experience will never allow me to look at protestors, and quite possibly the government, the same ever again. If you've read this far you're probably fucking nuts.
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Pizzas : 342

Post by chrondog Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:40 pm

Kellyanne reminds me of a deflated Dolly Parton
    Duff...
    Duff...
    Current Bass Player of UFO

Pizzas : 812
    DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:31 pm

Have I showed you guys this shirt?

The Donald J. Trump Presidency - Page 4 IMG_1765_zpsycywsual

Wore it to an inauguration party in 09, only wore it once or twice since. Felt the need to don it once more today.
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Pizzas : 342

Post by chrondog Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:54 pm

somewhere in a closet at my parents house is a shirt like that, but the face is E-40
    WP64
    WP64
    Mystery Thread Deleter

DispositionIntransigent

Post by WP64 Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:41 am

I can't stop watching the video of Richard Spencer getting rocked in the face.
    WP64
    WP64
    Mystery Thread Deleter

DispositionIntransigent

Post by WP64 Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:49 am

I especially like how he is explaining the meaning of Pepe right before it happens. It's amazing. If I ruled the world that dude who delivered that punch would get the medal of freedom.
    Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Post by Nick Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:50 am

I like reading the replies when someone Tweets Spencer getting slugged. Especially the ones saying that this is "Libs" promoting violence. Then, I like thinking of those people getting thrown from a plane and falling to their death.
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:31 pm

Even before watching the video, I knew the replies would all be about them asserting how they take the high road while libs always resort to cowardly violence.
    WP64
    WP64
    Mystery Thread Deleter

DispositionIntransigent

Post by WP64 Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:42 pm

The problem is some liberal ran down the guy and photographed his face to post it all over Twitter.

The crowds in Chicago for the Women's March are amazing. Apparently they are so large that they aren't being allowed to march so it has bottlenecked in Grant Park. I tried to wake up really early and head down but I fucked up.

https://twitter.com/CNN/status/822850699780390912?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:12 pm

Kellyanne Conway, counselor to President Donald Trump, said the White House press secretary gave "alternative facts" when he inaccurately described the inauguration crowd as "the largest ever" during his first appearance before the press this weekend.

White House Press Secretary Sean Spicer gathered the press to deliver a five-minute statement Saturday in which he issued multiple falsehoods, declaring erroneously the number of people who used the D.C. metro on Friday, that there was a change in security measures this year and that "this was the largest audience to ever witness an inauguration, period, both in person and around the globe."

"These attempts to lessen the enthusiasm of the inauguration are shameful and wrong," Spicer said Saturday.

However, crowd size experts told the New York Times they estimated Trump's audience at fewer than 200,000 people, and widely distributed side-by-side photographs showed the stark contrast between the comparatively sparse crowd for Trump's inauguration and the record-setting crowd for Obama's first.

Asked on "Meet the Press" why Spicer used his first appearance before the press to dispute a minimal issue like the inauguration crowd size, and why he used falsehoods to do so, Conway pushed back.

"You're saying it's a falsehood and Sean Spicer, our press secretary, gave alternative facts to that," she told NBC's Chuck Todd.

She then went on to echo Spicer's claim on Saturday that it wasn't possible to count the crowd, despite Trump's team's accompanying insistence that it was the "largest audience."
    "I don't think you can prove those numbers one way or another. There's no way to quantify crowd numbers," Conway said.

Conway also suggested that Todd's insistence on asking why Spicer delivered a demonstrably false statement could affect the White House's treatment of the media.

"If we're going to keep referring to the press secretary in those types of terms I think we're going to have to rethink our relationship here," she said
    WP64
    WP64
    Mystery Thread Deleter

DispositionIntransigent

Post by WP64 Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:35 pm

Fuck their gaslighting. Fuck Kellyanne. This shit is ridiculous.

Seriously though, for the past two months I've been earnestly dialoging with relatives and anyone else I know who supports Donald Trump in as calm and respectful a manner as possible. Some of them actually just don't understand the existential danger he poses for not only our most vulnerable communities but even for basic liberal democratic norms. Some just do not care and express absolutely no curiosity to know anything about the world around them. Others express some concern, because they realize it might effect them, but will never ever question their decision to vote for him, nor are they capable of feeling any amount of shame. In fact, most will do the exact opposite and develop a fortress mentality and find ridiculous anecdotes (narrated 24/7 by reactionary media outlets) to reinforce their cold, pathetic view of the world.

These people are garbage human beings. I am done trying to empathize with them. They need to be told to fuck off repeatedly and endlessly for the next four years, if not longer.
    WP64
    WP64
    Mystery Thread Deleter

DispositionIntransigent

Post by WP64 Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:45 am

Our dumbass President just threatened to send the National Guard into Chicago and he was just reacting to coverage on the fucking O'Reilly factor.

W:SLKDGHSODIHG"AIHG"APOSHJG
    PAOFJ"ASODKHF"W?IHG"WHIAKSHF:AIOSDBGHWE"HGWLHGKHD:FSHD"?GIHWR:OGIHS:DOIGH:AOSDFH:?WIGHO:WIEHG
    tjenz
    tjenz
    Bass Player from Creepy D

Pizzas : 80

Post by tjenz Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:26 am

I'm starting to believe the Trump presidency is going to even worse than my worst fears.

Mystery Thread Deleter

DispositionIntransigent

Post by WP64 Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:03 pm

Same. I'm beyond whatever despondent is and we are still in the first week of this bullshit.
    Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Post by Nick Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:31 pm

The Democrats are basically voting "Yes" for all his appointees? The fuck is going on? Is this some bullshit "take the high road, give him a chance, reach across the aisle" shit? Because if it is we have another example of why Liberalism will continue to fail.
    WP64
    WP64
    Mystery Thread Deleter

DispositionIntransigent

Post by WP64 Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:09 am

Yeah, it's not good. There was a long back and forth over on Hipinion about this that I read last night. I mean, essentially this is just political calculus and Democrats are deciding, rightly or wrongly, that it is either in their immediate political self-interest (if they are up for re-election in '18 or are in a swing state like Sherrod Brown) to give their tepid support to some of the less consequential appointments.

The logic is that because Democrats are not showing a unified front of obstructionism in cabinet appointments when it comes to specific grievances against more important appointees like Pruitt, Price, Tillerson, and Sessions their concern will have more validity somehow.

I think that sort of calculous makes sense if this was a normal situation, but the problem is that it obviously is not. Once again, Democrats are playing by the rules despite the fact that the GOP continues to change the playing field and basic structure on which the game is played. People have pointed out, for example, that in the past cabinet appointments are a relatively benign process and the President is basically given total leeway over choosing his own Cabinet (although this already was not the case for Obama in 2012) but, as we all can clearly see, these are not normal cabinet appointments.

Many of them have publicly expressed their desire to completely destroy the departments they know find themselves in charge of (Perry and Pruitt), have normally disqualifying financial and investment conflicts that need further investigation (Price and Tillerson), or are just completely incompetent and unfamiliar with what the basic purpose behind the departments that they know run (Carson and DeVos). Then there is just the pure fucking evil that is Sessions.

It's really a stupid and regretful strategy. I sympathize with the previous counter-point from Duff that liberal-democratic norms need to be protected and it would look really bad for progressives to actually impede the function of government because it runs counter to their entire ideology. Whereas, when conservatives are intransigent, well that's just what they do.

However, at a certain point a line in the sand needs to be drawn. They do not seem to have any agreement over where that line should be and how they might choose to resist, symbolically or otherwise, when it is crossed.
    tjenz
    tjenz
    Bass Player from Creepy D

Pizzas : 80

Post by tjenz Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:24 am

"You can count on the democrats to bring a copy of Robert's Rules of Order to a flamethrower fight"

anorexic Skeletor

Post by Nick Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:06 am

The level of scrutiny and outrage on display thus far is absolutely necessary but completely exhausting. I can't imagine what things will look and feel like by Day 200 in office.
    Bruegel
    Bruegel
    basically just a wordier, shittier sausage blurb

Pizzas : 453

Post by Bruegel Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:34 am

Apocalypse is 30 seconds closer, say Doomsday Clock scientists
    Bruegel
    Bruegel
    basically just a wordier, shittier sausage blurb

Pizzas : 453

Post by Bruegel Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:45 am

I've not got much love for May but I i did feel a smidgen of sympathy imaging her rehearsing her speech on the plane yesterday.

"together we can protect freedom, liberty and the rights of man”

"sorry to interrupt, ma'am, but the pussy-grabber is now advocating waterboarding"
    WP64
    WP64
    Mystery Thread Deleter

DispositionIntransigent

Post by WP64 Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:49 pm

Bruegel wrote:I've not got much love for May
    I am curious what you love about her.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 12:48 pm