Ned Braden
undo
8 posters

THE 2024 US PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION

undo
    undo
    Internet's Busiest Music Nerd

Pizzas : 1140

THE 2024 US PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION  - Page 2 Empty Re: THE 2024 US PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION

Post by undo Tue Feb 06, 2024 1:22 pm

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2024/feb/06/donald-trump-immunity-federal-court-ruling-jan-6-election

A federal appeals court on Tuesday rejected Donald Trump’s claim that he is immune from criminal prosecution on charges that he plotted to overturn the 2020 election results because it involved actions he took while president, declining to endorse such an expansive interpretation of executive power.

The decision by a three-judge panel at the US court of appeals for the DC circuit took particular issue with Trump’s position that he could only be prosecuted if he had been convicted in a Senate impeachment trial first.

“We cannot accept former President Trump’s claim that a president has unbounded authority to commit crimes that would neutralize the most fundamental check on executive power,” the unsigned but unanimous opinion from the three-judge panel said.

The defeat for Trump technically returns the case and jurisdiction to the trial court. But the adverse ruling paves the way for Trump to seek further appeals that could delay for weeks or months the start of the 4 March trial date set by US district judge Tanya Chutkan in Washington.

The system is working!
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

Pizzas : 995
    DispositionRock Guitars

THE 2024 US PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION  - Page 2 Empty Re: THE 2024 US PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION

Post by Ned Braden Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:12 pm

I would love to believe that the republicans deliberately blowing up the best (see: worst) border deal they will ever get for the sheer purpose of being able to campaign on the issue (somehow?!) would be transparently obvious and turn the entire electorate against them, but I’ve stopped having any faith in anything at all.

I would also love a blow by blow debunking of all this border horseshit which is clearly a manufactured moral panic being inflamed by the cult on the right… I just don’t know to what extent, if any, there is legit anything substantial to the “border crisis” as an actual crisis. And to the extent that it is… I’d like to know how much of it we very obviously fomented via shitty U.S. actions south of Texas.
    BGwaves
    BGwaves
    basically just a wordier, shittier sausage blurb

Pizzas : 283
    DispositionBLACK..... coffee in bed

Post by BGwaves Thu Feb 08, 2024 12:51 am

I think the republicans have made an error when it comes to the border. This deal was so red it was sickening, but it was a deal that both sides agreed upon. Then, the party that has YELLED SO LOUDLY about this issue, BLOWS IT UP, because Nero says so. I
    think
    this election is over. Kamala Harris will be our president in 2026! lol.

Am I a bit drunk and a bit stoned, as Joe Biden would say, COME ON, MAN!
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Thu Feb 08, 2024 1:50 am

Would you take Kamela for prez or do you want what's behind door #2

Guess I better learn how to spell her name correctly
    jesus jones
    jesus jones
    Tub of Lemon Chobani

Pizzas : 259

Post by jesus jones Thu Feb 08, 2024 10:42 am

undo wrote:https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2024/feb/06/donald-trump-immunity-federal-court-ruling-jan-6-election

The defeat for Trump technically returns the case and jurisdiction to the trial court. But the adverse ruling paves the way for Trump to seek further appeals that could delay for weeks or months the start of the 4 March trial date set by US district judge Tanya Chutkan in Washington.

The system is working!

from what i understand, dude has to appeal to scotus by monday in order to get any kind of appeals-based delay. asking for an en banc review won't delay chutkan's trial, same if he misses the tight window to file a writ of cert at scotus
    Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Pizzas : 978

Post by Nick Fri Feb 09, 2024 9:01 am

It’s wild that these are going to be our nominees and each side is like “You have to vote for our guy or it’s the end of America as we know it”.

jesus jones
    jesus jones
    Tub of Lemon Chobani

Pizzas : 259

Post by jesus jones Sat Feb 10, 2024 11:53 am

it's all so boneheadedly fucked
    Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Post by Nick Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:24 am

Happy President’s Day, bros!
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Mon Feb 19, 2024 2:39 pm

Let's give it up for the Founding Fathers

The real OGs who made all this possible

What would they think of this country today? idk but we better work extra hard to make sure they'd never be disappointed in it. Nothing matters more than honoring their feelings!
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Tue Feb 20, 2024 12:08 am

Founding fathers hey!
    Founding fathers ho!
    Founding fathers, founding fathers, go go go!

Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Sat Mar 30, 2024 1:55 pm

These fuckers really need to work on their outreach.

THE 2024 US PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION  - Page 2 Img_2810

What an infuriating fucking spam text money grab (link directs you to a survey that can’t even be submitted without selecting a donation amount). They’re texting this to random voters. Does this actually work? Honestly curious about the calculus they’re following that must suggest this type of shit will raise enough money therefore generating enough new votes to offset all the votes lost because of shitbag tactics like this.

This year is going to be fucking miserable, and I’m only glad I’ll have left the country before the date of the inevitable riots. I might not come back!
    Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Post by Nick Sat Mar 30, 2024 2:29 pm

Did you get a response to the “Fuck off?”
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Sat Mar 30, 2024 2:49 pm

I did not!! I expected a “you have been unsubscribed” and hoped for a “please elaborate and tell us why you’re mad,” but got neither eh
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Sat Mar 30, 2024 4:11 pm

I remember getting emails with "not mad, just disappointed" in the subject line in the last election.

So pathetic!
    Michael K.
    Michael K.
    Fascist Groove Shark

Pizzas : 161
    Dispositionpickled

Post by Michael K. Sat Mar 30, 2024 5:13 pm

I got this one today:

- Barack Obama asked
    - Michelle Obama asked
    - Joe Biden asked
    - Hillary Clinton asked
    - Hakeem Jeffries asked
    - Jamie Raskin asked
    - Ted Lieu asked

That’s how critical outraising Republicans before tomorrow’s MASSIVE End of Quarter Deadline is >> training-dems.us/chip-in-mar-30-3?t=1gBs8p

If just ONE more Democrat from your zip code chips in before midnight, Democrats will hit our goal in time and officially OUTRAISE the GOP."

and then laughed to myself about how that list of politicians would once upon a time be a decent sales pitch to me and how it now feels basically the same as throwing up.
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Sun Mar 31, 2024 11:46 pm

THE 2024 US PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION  - Page 2 Not_ma10

They've been running with this for a while now.
    WP64
    WP64
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Pizzas : 67
    DispositionIntransigent

Post by WP64 Tue Apr 09, 2024 4:20 pm

It is remarkable that nobody has the energy for this shit anymore and we are just collectively resigned to a seemingly inevitable second Trump presidency. I completely checked out many years ago as well.

The Dems are obviously incompetent but I am surprised that people are not expecting something to happen at the convention. They are reading the some NYTimes articles showing that Biden's polls in the key swing states are terrible and trending even worse.. They do not want to reopen internal divisions in the party by having a competitive primary so he will step aside one week before Dem convention in Chicago and the delegates will all rally around someone boring/safe like JB Pritzker or Michelle. And honestly, I wouldn't be upset about it either.. Anything to avoid four more years of Trump at this point.
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Tue Apr 09, 2024 4:25 pm

How is Pritzker boring/safe? Who would you want them to put up?

I don't mean to ask in the bitchy tone this post is probably giving.
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Fri Apr 12, 2024 12:01 am

Ned Braden wrote:These fuckers really need to work on their outreach.

I mean… I guess it could be worse?

THE 2024 US PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION  - Page 2 Img_2911 THE 2024 US PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION  - Page 2 Img_2911

The polling questions in this one were fucking wild. At the end they give the spam recipient an option to donate $47 to the campaign if they “think that Donald Trump is the greatest president of all time.” I guess “the wall” is still a big thing for these guys too (the multiple choice options for the question about “securing the border” were “yes! Build the wall” and “no, I do not want a secure border”).

🔴🔵 ARE YOU VOTING FOR PRESIDENT TRUMP IN 2024?

🔵🔴 DO YOU SUPPORT PRESIDENT TRUMP MORE OR LESS AFTER EVERY SINGLE WITCH HUNT, RAID, INDICTMENT, AND ARREST THE RADICAL LEFT HAS THROWN AT HIM?

🔴🔵 WHAT ARE THE MOST IMPORTANT ISSUES TO YOU?

🔵🔴 DO YOU SUPPORT IMPEACHING JOE BIDEN?

🔴🔵 DO YOU SUPPORT SECURING THE BORDER?

🔵🔴 DO YOU SUPPORT murder weapon RIGHTS?

🔵🔴 DO YOU SUPPORT PUTTING AMERICA FIRST?

🔴🔵 WHERE DO YOU STAND ON THE POLITICAL SPECTRUM?

🔴🔵 WHAT WOULD YOU SAY TO PRESIDENT TRUMP RIGHT NOW IF YOU COULD SPEAK TO HIM FOR 5 MINUTES? ***

⚫ SIGNATURE FOR SECURE SUBMISSION:

I have no idea where this spam came from but I’m weirdly glad I got to see it? The multiple choice options were, unsurprisingly, pretty fucking wild (they didn’t allow me to copy paste and I’m too lazy to fill em all in).

***I didn’t think there was any reason to reply to any of this weirdness, but in the one free space provided I’ll gladly write in Blaze’s suggestions if you guys wanna provide them. I won’t donate any money to this cause though since, cards on the table, I don’t really support it.
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Fri Apr 12, 2024 12:45 am

They fucked up the alternating red/blue dots two thirds of the way through, and I kind of love it
    WP64
    WP64
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Pizzas : 67
    DispositionIntransigent

Post by WP64 Fri Apr 12, 2024 1:42 pm

undo wrote:How is Pritzker boring/safe? Who would you want them to put up?
    I did not mean boring/safe in a derogatory way. Just to say that he seems very palatable to the political mainstream, which is to say, uh.. electable? He probably wouldn't get my vote in a competitive primary process but he seems to bridge the factional divide pretty well. He is generally pro-labor (except when it interferes with his own family's hotel business). And frankly, America needs our first fat President in the television era. The time has come. I want to see tubby take the stage on August 22nd.

Jokes aside: I really have no idea. It seems like something that the party should actually consider as a viable alternative to an increasingly uncertain Biden reelection campaign. You all tell me though. I am talking out of my ass.
    Duff...
    Duff...
    Current Bass Player of UFO

Pizzas : 810
    DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Sat Apr 13, 2024 2:11 am

Ned Braden wrote:

Was kinda puzzled by the response toward fundraising texts in this thread? Because yeah, like with everything else, the GOP is way worse.
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Sun Apr 14, 2024 1:18 am

Duff... wrote:
    Ned Braden wrote:

Was kinda puzzled by the response toward fundraising texts in this thread? Because yeah, like with everything else, the GOP is way worse.

I guess you can’t get mad at Nazis for being Nazis. I mean, they were Nazis, what did you expect?

My immediate reaction to the poorly planned and ineffective Biden spam texts was more angry than my reaction to the Trump spam texts because I would hope the “good guy” team would do better.

This moment we are at is really fucking me up tbph. I’ve come around to the fact that in my life I’ve been far too tolerant of (and occasionally indulged in… on this board!) the kind of reactionary centrism that punches left more often than it punches right (mostly due to some possibly misguided ideas about what is and is not “electable” on a large scale). I don’t feel very good about this. And I get why people who actually want progressive change are threatening to abandon a party that has basically been lip service promises for incremental change that never comes. I mean… the status quo Dems have given every indication that they’re cut from the same spineless cloth as the “responsible adult” type republicans who, when push came to shove, gladly fell in line with full blown authoritarian white nationalism.

And yet… as empathetic as I may be for young people and leftists who feel abandoned, I still don’t have a lot of patience for anybody who opts to abstain or cast a throwaway protest vote in November. As uninspiring as mainstream Dems may be right now, we are at our own Hitler-rise-to-power moment, and if Trump wins this fall I’m gonna make like my grandpa and not come back to the motherland. If ever there was a time for the left and center to come together, I think now is it. If we could somehow manage to take firm control of all three branches, the Dems would finally have a chance to make good on some of those unrealized promises. And maybe a decisive loss would prompt the GOP to go back to a slightly less overtly evil party approach.

Last edited by Ned Braden on Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:51 am; edited 1 time in total
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Sun Apr 14, 2024 1:21 am

WP64 wrote:
    undo wrote:How is Pritzker boring/safe? Who would you want them to put up?
    I did not mean boring/safe in a derogatory way. Just to say that he seems very palatable to the political mainstream, which is to say, uh.. electable? He probably wouldn't get my vote in a competitive primary process but he seems to bridge the factional divide pretty well. He is generally pro-labor (except when it interferes with his own family's hotel business). And frankly, America needs our first fat President in the television era. The time has come. I want to see tubby take the stage on August 22nd.

Jokes aside: I really have no idea. It seems like something that the party should actually consider as a viable alternative to an increasingly uncertain Biden reelection campaign. You all tell me though. I am talking out of my ass.

Fully on board with a fat president but I will not stand for this sort of Taft erasure.

Edit: damn, “in the television era.”
    Missed that. Apologies.
    Duff...
    Duff...
    Current Bass Player of UFO

Pizzas : 810
    DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:33 pm

Ned Braden wrote:
    Duff... wrote:
    Ned Braden wrote:

I guess you can’t get mad at Nazis for being Nazis. I mean, they were Nazis, what did you expect?

Always be mad at nazis for being nazis.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 06, 2024 8:10 pm