zappo
spiritofeden
34 posters

going through some shit right now

reuben
    reuben
    President Bannon

Pizzas : 710

going through some shit right now - Page 33 Empty Re: going through some shit right now

Post by reuben Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:12 am

Spoiler that shit! Now I’m traumatized.
    undo
    undo
    Internet's Busiest Music Nerd

Pizzas : 1145

going through some shit right now - Page 33 Empty Re: going through some shit right now

Post by undo Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:39 pm

My LOPP inbox was 96% full, went to delete some spam messages and somehow deleted everything by accident. well crap
    BGwaves
    BGwaves
    basically just a wordier, shittier sausage blurb

Pizzas : 284
    DispositionBLACK..... coffee in bed

Post by BGwaves Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:24 pm

ClosetOfExhaustion wrote:anything happen with that BG?
    Sorry, didn’t see this until just now...

We lucked out BIG TIME! Recently, a giant eyesore of a mansion was built right next to our house. The owners of that place spared no expense and got everything weather proofed in whatever way it could be. Because of that the wind barely did anything to our house because their house worked as a barrier. If it hit on the other side of the house my guess is it would have been destroyed like most of the houses behind ours. The dunes and walkway leading to the beach were destroyed... but the rentention wall survived! Minor flood damage in our store room and everything in it is ruined but that’s nothing! Sad to say it looked like the town will need a larger recovery.
    Duff...
    Duff...
    Current Bass Player of UFO

Pizzas : 812
    DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:38 pm

Accidently got vegan egg "nogg" at the store.
    Gene Bootcut
    Gene Bootcut
    A fanatic of the sketch genre

Pizzas : 441

Post by Gene Bootcut Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:58 pm

Just got an answering machine text message mentioning me by name several times and issuing vague threats about how they're watching me and know where I live and will find me eventually. If I die we've had a good run
    Spoiler:

Last edited by Soma on Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:01 pm; edited 2 times in total
    Duff...
    Duff...

DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:59 pm

Liffey?
    BGwaves
    BGwaves

Post by BGwaves Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:32 pm

If they know where you live why would they need to find you? Hopefully this guys threats are as empty as his head.
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:49 pm

Are you going to tell the police?

Do you have a nemesis?

Soma wrote:answering machine text message

confused
    Gene Bootcut
    Gene Bootcut

Post by Gene Bootcut Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:54 pm

Turns out it was a 'prank' by this autistic guy I know. I only mention his condition because I'm beginning to suspect he doesn't really grasp the nuances of human behaviour. It's still a pretty surreal thing to stumble upon when you're expecting a message about TV licensing
    Gene Bootcut
    Gene Bootcut

Post by Gene Bootcut Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:56 pm

undo wrote:
    Soma wrote:answering machine text message

confused

Idk he sent a text message to my phone and it was read out by a computer
    WP64
    WP64
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Pizzas : 67
    DispositionIntransigent

Post by WP64 Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:29 pm

Yeah, that probably would not sit very well with me either.
    WP64
    WP64
    Mystery Thread Deleter

DispositionIntransigent

Post by WP64 Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:24 pm

Just found out that the "ok" hand gesture has been appropriated by white nationalists and now I don't know how I am supposed to celebrate when I am raining down threes on motherfuckers.
    BGwaves
    BGwaves

Post by BGwaves Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:54 pm

The same way you always did. Don’t let them appropriate your shit!
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:52 pm

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2018/09/15/coast-guard-officer-ousted-florence-duty-after-viewers-claim-he-made-white-power-sign-tv/?noredirect=on

The idea that the hand sign is a secret symbol for white power owes its mainstream spread to a viral troll campaign aimed at making liberals and the media look gullible. In February 2017, 4chan’s /pol/ board discussed ongoing tactics to try to get the idea to go viral. “To any who haven’t seen the original thread, our goal is to convince people on twitter that the ‘ok’ hand sign has been co-opted by neo-nazis,” the original poster of the thread wrote.

As BuzzFeed has reported, the board was gleeful when the okay hand sign started to get mainstream traction. As the campaign spread, however, the symbol was simultaneously adopted by the alt-right — an umbrella term for those on the far right who embrace white nationalist views — and the pro-Trump Internet, both of whom seem to primarily use the gesture to “trigger” liberals who believed the hand sign was a decoder ring to detect secret Nazis.

One could argue that sharing articles about it actually helps spread the idea and that in doing so, I'm actually playing right into their hand here.

This is kind of a jumping off point to a ton of shit that's been on my mind for the last 3 years but I won't go there now. You've probably heard it all before, anyway.
    Duff...
    Duff...

DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:19 pm

"Nazis appropriating the OK sign as a white power symbol to trick liberals and the media into thinking that Nazis appropriated the OK sign as a white power symbol and then ridiculing liberals and the media for thinking that Nazis appropriated the OK sign as a white power symbol by using the OK sign as a white power symbol" is perhaps the perfect encapsulation of how very stupid our current times are.
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Pizzas : 342

Post by chrondog Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:18 pm

undo wrote:https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2018/09/15/coast-guard-officer-ousted-florence-duty-after-viewers-claim-he-made-white-power-sign-tv/?noredirect=on

The idea that the hand sign is a secret symbol for white power owes its mainstream spread to a viral troll campaign aimed at making liberals and the media look gullible. In February 2017, 4chan’s /pol/ board discussed ongoing tactics to try to get the idea to go viral. “To any who haven’t seen the original thread, our goal is to convince people on twitter that the ‘ok’ hand sign has been co-opted by neo-nazis,” the original poster of the thread wrote.

As BuzzFeed has reported, the board was gleeful when the okay hand sign started to get mainstream traction. As the campaign spread, however, the symbol was simultaneously adopted by the alt-right — an umbrella term for those on the far right who embrace white nationalist views — and the pro-Trump Internet, both of whom seem to primarily use the gesture to “trigger” liberals who believed the hand sign was a decoder ring to detect secret Nazis.

One could argue that sharing articles about it actually helps spread the idea and that in doing so, I'm actually playing right into their hand here.

This is kind of a jumping off point to a ton of shit that's been on my mind for the last 3 years but I won't go there now. You've probably heard it all before, anyway.

Definitely agree with that! On the scale of this message board it's not a big deal, but not sharing or "debunking" hate or fake news is a huge bugaboo of mine. I think the "fact check" culture in the era of Trump has done consumers a huge disservice. I've been tooting this horn for a few years now, but the reality is that the pace of content is so fast that people are required to spin clicks out of everything and criticizing other peoples' shit is one of the easiest ways to do that.
    jesus jones
    jesus jones
    Tub of Lemon Chobani

Pizzas : 259

Post by jesus jones Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:47 am

seems to dumb to be hopeful for the future these days
    WP64
    WP64
    Mystery Thread Deleter

DispositionIntransigent

Post by WP64 Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:53 am

Just so everyone is clear, my original post was a joke. I do not actually think that the "ok" symbol has been appropriated by white supremacists nor, unfortunately, do I rain threes down on the motherfuckers.
    techno raj
    techno raj
    Baller Ass Taco

Pizzas : 231

Post by techno raj Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:57 am

jesus jones wrote:seems to dumb to be hopeful for the future these days

By most objective measures the world today is drastically better than it was a generation or two ago. I do think there are arguments not be optimistic about the future from this point on, but I rarely hear them from actual pessimists, much less see people act on them.
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Pizzas : 342

Post by chrondog Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:28 am

Ratto is the rare member of the sports-page generation who recognizes there are equal pleasures to be found in the age of newspapers and the age of blogging. “The trick to me was, don’t pander to a generation you’re not a member of,” Ratto said. “But don’t act like the cranky old bastard, either, who wants to talk about the ‘good old days.’ Because for the most part, the good old days were way shittier than the days now.”

https://www.theringer.com/2019/1/25/18196892/the-world-according-to-ray-ratto
    WP64
    WP64
    Mystery Thread Deleter

DispositionIntransigent

Post by WP64 Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:36 pm

I've spent the last four hours calling people on the phone to cancel subscriptions and do all this other miscellaneous bullshit before I get ready to leave the country. I'm a supremely patient man but if another person asks me about a four-digit code or password that I obviously don't remember I am going to fucking snap. mang
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:03 pm

^post/av
    WP64
    WP64
    Mystery Thread Deleter

DispositionIntransigent

Post by WP64 Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:54 pm

After a friend of mine passed away I kind of intentionally avoided ever knowing the circumstances of exactly what happened. I just figured it would never help bring me any closure and I just didn't really think I could handle it. Three years later, I ended up talking to his ex-girlfriend over Instagram and she gave me all the details about his suicide (how he did it, who he contacted beforehand, what he said to them).

Pretty rough stuff. It's been three years since it happened and it doesn't affect me that much anymore, but shit...
    jesus jones
    jesus jones
    Tub of Lemon Chobani

Pizzas : 259

Post by jesus jones Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:39 am

jesus jones wrote:seems to dumb to be hopeful for the future these days
    coyote
    coyote
    A classically handsome man's man in the Huey Lewis mold

Pizzas : 99

Post by coyote Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:24 pm

WP64 wrote:After a friend of mine passed away I kind of intentionally avoided ever knowing the circumstances of exactly what happened. I just figured it would never help bring me any closure and I just didn't really think I could handle it. Three years later, I ended up talking to his ex-girlfriend over Instagram and she gave me all the details about his suicide (how he did it, who he contacted beforehand, what he said to them).

Pretty rough stuff. It's been three years since it happened and it doesn't affect me that much anymore, but shit...

Sorry to hear about that. I lost someone to suicide and it’s something you never get over, even if you weren’t super close.

In related weird news, my wife had a dream about an old guy friend. He was sobbing and she was holding his hand, and he said his wife left him. My wife looked him up on Facebook and after scrolling through his wall she finds out that his wife committed suicide a year ago.

My wife has had multiple instances of psychic type occurrences through her dreams. It’s insane.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 12:48 pm