Bruegel
Ned Braden
chrondog
reuben
zappo
yancy
Ted Falconi
14 posters

At what age should children be allowed to watch The Simpsons?

Ted Falconi
    Ted Falconi
    Shiek

Pizzas : 394

At what age should children be allowed to watch The Simpsons? Empty At what age should children be allowed to watch The Simpsons?

Post by Ted Falconi Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:41 pm

I've managed to allow my almost 8-year old daughter to become addicted to The Simpsons. Too soon?
    Ted Falconi
    Ted Falconi
    Shiek

At what age should children be allowed to watch The Simpsons? Empty Re: At what age should children be allowed to watch The Simpsons?

Post by Ted Falconi Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:44 pm

For reference, I bought my first Steve Martin album (the recent release Comedy Is Not Pretty, at the Barrington Square K-Mart) when I was 8, and soon was checking Cheech and Chong albums out from the library, and nobody tried to stop me.
    yancy
    yancy
    equal parts Skrillex, T. Rex, Ed Kowalczyk, Joe Dumars, Outkast, and Kate Bush

Pizzas : 342

At what age should children be allowed to watch The Simpsons? Empty Re: At what age should children be allowed to watch The Simpsons?

Post by yancy Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:49 pm

I wouldn't let her slide down the slope to Family Guy anytime soon, but imo the Sipmsons is one of those shows where anything too mature is obtuse enough to go over kids' heads. I'm thinking of the episode where Bart reaches for cupcakes a la Alex reaching for breasts in A Clockwork Orange. Only way that's bad is if she's seen ACO, in which case, dude.
    Ted Falconi
    Ted Falconi
    Shiek

Post by Ted Falconi Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:55 pm

I don't allow myself to watch the Family Guy.
    zappo
    zappo
    Supermasculine Menial

Pizzas : 870

Post by zappo Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:04 pm

I started on The Simpsons at seven, and I'm fine. Cheech and Chong well before 10. And I am and have always been straightedge.
    zappo
    zappo
    Supermasculine Menial

Pizzas : 870

Post by zappo Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:05 pm

I think that your main concern should be keeping her away from the last fifteen or so years of the show. That shit'll rot minds.
    reuben
    reuben
    President Bannon

Pizzas : 710

Post by reuben Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:08 pm

yancy wrote: I'm thinking of the episode where Bart reaches for cupcakes a la Alex reaching for breasts in A Clockwork Orange.
    Whoa I never got that reference before either. I guess I've still got some maturin' to do.
    reuben
    reuben
    President Bannon

Pizzas : 710

Post by reuben Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:09 pm

I started at age 10 and turned out just fine. I think I saw the Tracey Ullman shorts at about your daughter's age.
    Ted Falconi
    Ted Falconi
    Shiek

Post by Ted Falconi Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:11 pm

I've never been a Simpsons maniac, but what I've seen in the 21st century has been mostly okay, sporadically hilarious, and occasionally groan-inducing.
    Not entirely unlike SNL, which I think should be funnier, but still has gotten a bad "used to be great" rap for as long as I can remember.
    Ted Falconi
    Ted Falconi
    Shiek

Post by Ted Falconi Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:12 pm

I wonder if that Mad Magazine cartoon show is any good.
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Pizzas : 342

Post by chrondog Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:10 am

the list of subversive, adult material in the children's shows i watched that went completely over my head as a kid is too long to post.

i think violence is probably the main thing that affects kids because its so visceral. an eight year old can't really understand comedy. or maybe i'm not giving my eight year old self enough credit.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:17 am

Growing up I knew kids whose parents didn't allow them to watch shit like the Rugrats or SpongeBob. It pissed me off then and pisses me off now. Fuck those kind of parents.

Nothing wrong with the Simpsons. I'd probably second the Family Guy consideration, mostly because that show sucks. And I'd be kind of disturbed walking into my home to find my 8-year-old child watching Episode 420 of Family Guy.
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

Pizzas : 993
    DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:49 am

Seasons 2-8 are pretty much perfect. My only fear about my theoretical kid watching it these days is that he'd be too stupid to latch onto just how great the Simpsons is on all levels vs the instant stupid gratification offered by Family Guy.
    Bruegel
    Bruegel
    basically just a wordier, shittier sausage blurb

Pizzas : 453

Post by Bruegel Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:13 am

my parents bought me and my bro a telly so we wouldn't bug dad to put Terrahawks on whilst he was watching rugby

but it backfired when i watched Rosemary's Baby on it and had a nightmare and isnisted on sleeping in their bed every night for about a week

Bruegel
    Bruegel
    basically just a wordier, shittier sausage blurb

Pizzas : 453

Post by Bruegel Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:22 am

my folks should be moderators of the Opposite of Run-of-the-Mill Parenting Forum
    Gene Bootcut
    Gene Bootcut
    A fanatic of the sketch genre

Pizzas : 441

Post by Gene Bootcut Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:57 am

What do I know, I grew up watching non professional football players kick each other in the shins (in person)
    Paves
    Paves
    Tub of Lemon Chobani

Pizzas : 181

Post by Paves Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:17 pm

This TV program is full of truth and beauty.

Scared the shit out of me when I was alive in the early '90s and seeing episodes like the one where Homer goes to clown college. Shit was dark like the Get A Life episode where Chris Elliott has to watch over some old lady's house and he starts hallucinating that the walls and furniture and pizza man are trying to kill him. Or the Seinfeld episode where George is crying while watching Home Alone on TV.

If you are three then that stuff is freaky and traumatizing. But I got really into the show when I was in third grade, so yeah, I was about eight or nine and already pretty down with cursing and of course the sheer immensity of fandom that The Simpsons makes possible for anyone who wants to venture down that path.

As far as late '90s/millennial "adult" animated programs are concerned, this was the only one that my mom could get behind. Obviously Nickelodeon + Cartoon Network were straight retarded and South Park was over the line and Futurama was too weird and the appeal of King of the Hill was too confounding and The PJs is about black people in the projects so that's a big no no.

Posts in this thread are on point, certainly. Your daughter is old enough. You'd be going the extra mile if you made sure she's primarily immersed in episodes from the '90s but that's up to you, obviously. And since you're laying down the law with limiting the Family Guy time, you obviously know what you're doing as a parent and human being.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:48 pm

Paves wrote:I was about eight or nine and already pretty down with cursing and of course the sheer immensity of fandom that The Simpsons makes possible for anyone who wants to venture down that path.

This is something that I always forget about. How powerful you feel at that age when you start to curse around your friends. It's such a funny ass thing to do. For me I was too tepid to just go right into it so I started by saying bleep and bleeping in place of actually saying the words. Eventually someone made fun of me for doing that and I came back by saying, "Fuck you asshole!"
    Gene Bootcut
    Gene Bootcut
    A fanatic of the sketch genre

Pizzas : 441

Post by Gene Bootcut Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:57 pm

I vividly remember being mocked for thinking they were known as 'square words'.
    Ted Falconi
    Ted Falconi
    Shiek

Post by Ted Falconi Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:19 pm

So this is paying off handsomely.

Recent lol irls:

Me (walking into house where chicken and potatoes with garlic were baking): It smells good in here.
    Daughter: That's because I farted.

and

Daughter: Someone hand me the remote. I can't reach it, I'm too drunk.

I'm sure this is the effect of the Simpsons influence.
    Dan Sausage
    Dan Sausage
    Solid Bro

Pizzas : 92

Post by Dan Sausage Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:57 pm

i was like 4-5 when i started watching the simpsons. had a bart simpson doll and everything. i turned out fine.
    Dan Sausage
    Dan Sausage
    Solid Bro

Pizzas : 92

Post by Dan Sausage Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:57 pm

i remember all the adult shit just whizzed past my head

back then bart was the main character kinda so it was a lil different.
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:16 pm

Paves wrote:the Get A Life episode where Chris Elliott has to watch over some old lady's house and he starts hallucinating that the walls and furniture and pizza man are trying to kill him.

Man, where the fuck was I during this part of America?
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:10 pm

So how many of you have actually kept up with this show?
    I would love to get my hands on a list of worthwhile simpsons episodes after season 10, but don't see myself ever trudging through all of those years.
    God, I miss Phil Hartman.
    Duff...
    Duff...
    Current Bass Player of UFO

Pizzas : 809
    DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:56 am

I watched the most recent Treehouse of Horrors. It had a segment of wall-to-wall Kubrick references untethered to any jokes.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:35 am