Ned Braden
undo
24 posters

[solved]American questions for British people

Bruegel
    Bruegel
    basically just a wordier, shittier sausage blurb

Pizzas : 453

[solved]American questions for British people - Page 7 Empty Re: [solved]American questions for British people

Post by Bruegel Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:44 pm

looks like a good read

would heartily recommend that any visitors to London with an interest in this stuff take the guided tour of Highgate's West Cemetary:

http://highgatecemetery.org/visit/cemetery/west
    undo
    undo
    Internet's Busiest Music Nerd

Pizzas : 1138

[solved]American questions for British people - Page 7 Empty Re: [solved]American questions for British people

Post by undo Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:11 pm

Did the "John Madden Football"/"Madden NFL" series of games come out in your country, were they widely available or hard to get? I assume there had to be people who wanted to play it, if because it's so popular here. Maybe.

We never got "Championship Manager" and almost no one has even heard of it, not even video game enthusiasts.
    Bruegel
    Bruegel

Post by Bruegel Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:27 pm

I got Madden '92 for Xmas '91.

Me and my bro had already played if for days by the time I opened it on Christmas day (having found it on the top of Mom's wardrobe in early December).

My bro was a big "grid iron" fan due to Channel 4 exposure in the '80s. He supported the Redskins, I followed individual players and was particularly fond of Warren Moon.

My main memories of Madden '92 are making Barry Saunders spin like a whirling dervish/tasmanian devil and trying to get players hit by the ambulance after injuries. My bro was obsessed with audibles.

I was a much bigger fan of EA's NHL franchise.
    Bruegel
    Bruegel

Post by Bruegel Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:34 pm

I remember being very jealous of Barry White having seen footage of him on The Word playing Madden on a Genesis hooked up to the huge screen of his home cinema.
    Pete Best
    Pete Best
    Solid Bro

Pizzas : 116
    DispositionSweet

Post by Pete Best Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:04 pm

Madden was a big game when those consoles were released. Even people who had no interest in American Football played it.

I imagine Brian Lara cricket wasn't released in US either.
    undo
    undo
    Internet's Busiest Music Nerd

Pizzas : 1138

Post by undo Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:41 pm

https://rateyourmusic.com/release/single/lush/when_i_die/

how was this the real album art?
    Bruegel
    Bruegel

Post by Bruegel Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:53 pm

internet says its the back of a cd promo.

still pretty weird.
    Pete Best
    Pete Best
    Solid Bro

DispositionSweet

Post by Pete Best Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:07 pm

Can you infringe copyright on a promo CD? Not sure?
    Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Pizzas : 978

Post by Nick Sat May 10, 2014 5:51 pm

What is Euro Vision?
    Gene Bootcut
    Gene Bootcut
    A fanatic of the sketch genre

Pizzas : 441

Post by Gene Bootcut Sat May 10, 2014 8:03 pm

Eurovision is an international singing contest between members of the European Broadcasting Union. You call in to rank your ten favourite performances and your votes count towards the overall vote of your country of residence.

Morrissey wanted to represent the United Kingdom a couple of years ago but wasn't allowed to. It's a shame, we would have won even if he performed poorly.
    Duff...
    Duff...
    Current Bass Player of UFO

Pizzas : 809
    DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Sun May 11, 2014 2:33 am

Of everything I've heard about this contest the absolute strangest thing about it is that you seem to care.
    Bruegel
    Bruegel

Post by Bruegel Sun May 11, 2014 4:28 am

Iceland should have been higher, imo.
    Gene Bootcut
    Gene Bootcut

Post by Gene Bootcut Sun May 11, 2014 8:23 am

Duff... wrote:Of everything I've heard about this contest the absolute strangest thing about it is that you seem to care.

I suppose I don't. I've never actually watched it. It would just be cool if 'Eurovision Song Contest winner' was listed on the back of Autobiography along with 'Second Greatest Living Briton', 'Greatest Northern Male Past or Present' and 'given the keys to the city of Tel Aviv'.
    Pete Best
    Pete Best
    Solid Bro

DispositionSweet

Post by Pete Best Mon May 12, 2014 5:43 pm

If you watched the Icelandic intro video, that's where I'm getting married.
    techno raj
    techno raj
    Tub of Lemon Chobani

Pizzas : 228

Post by techno raj Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:00 pm

When you were in school did you learn about the attack on Mers-el-Kebir in 1940 and if so how was it framed? I've been watching The Sorrow and the Pity and I had honestly never heard of this before. 1,297 Frenchmen dead. Shocked Early WWII was dankest depths.
    Bruegel
    Bruegel

Post by Bruegel Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:00 pm

my first history teacher was ex-navy so we went pretty deep on the naval fall-out of the armistice.

in dankness depths, its hardly the Rape of Nanking.
    techno raj
    techno raj
    Tub of Lemon Chobani

Pizzas : 228

Post by techno raj Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:26 pm

Bruegel wrote:in dankness depths, its hardly the Rape of Nanking.

Yeah different level of magnitude clearly than the well-known horrors of the war. The complex shifting of British/French/German attitudes toward each other in the early days of the conflict is something I hadn't really picked up on in what I'd previously read/seen about WWII.
    zappo
    zappo
    Supermasculine Menial

Pizzas : 870

Post by zappo Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:05 pm

raj gibson wrote:When you were in school did you learn about the attack on Mers-el-Kebir in 1940 and if so how was it framed? I've been watching The Sorrow and the Pity and I had honestly never heard of this before. 1,297 Frenchmen dead. Shocked Early WWII was dankest depths.

I finally watched that movie, last summer. Had this and many other similar reactions.
    monotony
    monotony
    Vanity-published Eco-horror Fiction Writer

Pizzas : 65

Post by monotony Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:50 pm

Are there any Britishers who would like to offer their thoughts on the upcoming Scottish independence referendum?
    Bruegel
    Bruegel

Post by Bruegel Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:06 am

As somebody who primarily identifies as British rather than English, I'm pretty firmly opposed. I like the ambiguity of the symbiotic/competitive relationship that the Union affords.

That said, I'm a quarter-English media whore who lives in London and this decision is, quite rightly, well out of my reach.
    Pete Best
    Pete Best
    Solid Bro

DispositionSweet

Post by Pete Best Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:54 pm

I don't want them to go; my other half is Scottish, I've lived there, both sides of my family has strong roots there either two or three generations back, I don't want the Labour party to have to move much further right to ever get elected in England again, I don't want to have to cross a border post to get there (and back) I don't want Scotland using the pound if they go.

That said, part of me hopes that they do say Yes, they make a real go of it and do really well as the Scandinavian nation they want to be. I know for a fact that if dipshits like Boris and Nigel are in charge here in a decade's time and we aren't part of EU I'd be wanting to move back there quickly if it was an independent nation.
    Pete Best
    Pete Best
    Solid Bro

DispositionSweet

Post by Pete Best Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:16 pm

YouGov poll has shown 'Yes' take the lead, a 24 point swing since a month ago.
    Duff...
    Duff...
    Current Bass Player of UFO

Pizzas : 809
    DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:44 pm

I've heard suggestion that this is being pushed by a faction who wants Scotland to be right-leaning cesspit of deregulation in the mold of the US (paraphrasing here). Any validity to that?
    Pete Best
    Pete Best
    Solid Bro

DispositionSweet

Post by Pete Best Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:26 pm

The SNP have suggested lower corporation tax and air passenger duty. Much more beyond that won't go down well with Scots. There is only one Conservative MP in Scotland, it's considerably left of most places in England.
    Gene Bootcut
    Gene Bootcut

Post by Gene Bootcut Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:16 am

I really hope Scotland doesn't gain independence. I don't see the point of splitting our tiny island up any further. It's always been part of the same country (overwhelmingly) affected by the same issues, seems ridiculous at this point in history.

More people live in Yorkshire than Scotland. May as well have a Yorkshire independence movement.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:28 pm