monotony
yancy
24 posters

fuck it, i'm making a Daft Punk thread

Paves
    Paves
    Tub of Lemon Chobani

Pizzas : 181

fuck it, i'm making a Daft Punk thread - Page 7 Empty Re: fuck it, i'm making a Daft Punk thread

Post by Paves Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:46 pm

I enjoyed the Julian Casablancas song most, iirc.
    ClosetOfExhaustion
    ClosetOfExhaustion
    Have You Heard?

Pizzas : 275
    Dispositiondisposed

fuck it, i'm making a Daft Punk thread - Page 7 Empty Re: fuck it, i'm making a Daft Punk thread

Post by ClosetOfExhaustion Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:02 pm

i guess i should listen to this and Kanye?  i'm not very excited to be exposed to anything panda bear
    Duff...
    Duff...
    Current Bass Player of UFO

Pizzas : 809
    DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:54 pm

Really not sure why I ever had to wonder which was the Julian song, sounds exactly what "Daft Punk makes a Strokes song" would sound like.
    undo
    undo
    Internet's Busiest Music Nerd

Pizzas : 1138

Post by undo Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:08 pm

ClosetOfExhaustion wrote: i'm not very excited to be exposed to anything panda bear
    how do you feel about this?
    monotony
    monotony
    Vanity-published Eco-horror Fiction Writer

Pizzas : 65

Post by monotony Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:53 pm

Paves wrote:I enjoyed the Julian Casablancas song most, iirc.

Probably my favourite too.
    Bruegel
    Bruegel
    basically just a wordier, shittier sausage blurb

Pizzas : 453

Post by Bruegel Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:59 pm

mine too but i've had Welcome to Japan lodged in my skull for the last few days so i should probably be disqualified from rational discussion of the topic.

chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Pizzas : 342

Post by chrondog Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:32 pm

sandwiched between pretty over the top tracks like "Giorgio" and "Lose Yourself to Dance", i haven't listened to "Instant Crush" and "Within" as much as the rest of the album.

"Instant Crush" probably loses points on first listen for, as you guys mentioned, being a bit of a caricature of a Daft Punk/Strokes song. in the end though it probably benefits from flawless execution of that concept instead of trying to change it up too much. brilliant track.
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Post by chrondog Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:33 pm

it feels goofy that i immediately reached for this, but i think on this album my favorite song depends on how i'm feeling. so much variety in the music that there's a different groove for every day of the week.
    ClosetOfExhaustion
    ClosetOfExhaustion
    Have You Heard?

Dispositiondisposed

Post by ClosetOfExhaustion Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:00 pm

undo wrote:
    ClosetOfExhaustion wrote: i'm not very excited to be exposed to anything panda bear
    how do you feel about this?

I didn't make it to the end of that. Nothing interesting ever happened.
    yancy
    yancy
    equal parts Skrillex, T. Rex, Ed Kowalczyk, Joe Dumars, Outkast, and Kate Bush

Post by yancy Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:58 pm

jasperness wrote:i think on this album my favorite song depends on how i'm feeling. so much variety in the music that there's a different groove for every day of the week.
    Mostly agree with this, but if forced to choose I'm a "Game of Love" man, followed closely by "Fragments of Time." Really prefer to hear it as an album when i have time.
    Gene Bootcut
    Gene Bootcut
    A fanatic of the sketch genre

Pizzas : 441

Post by Gene Bootcut Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:42 am

'Fragments of Time' is my favourite song on Random Access Memories.
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Post by chrondog Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:54 pm

the "room inside a room" line in "Touch" always makes me think of this joke by comedy's Hannibal Burress:

https://youtu.be/KIyLXXGP6bQ?t=1m16s
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Post by chrondog Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:38 pm

tell me what you see #ineedsomethingmore

my favorite moment on RAM might just be the middle & end thirds of "Touch"

Last edited by jasperness on Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
    BGwaves
    BGwaves

Pizzas : 282
    DispositionBLACK..... coffee in bed

Post by BGwaves Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:17 pm

Same here, actually shed a few tears the first time I heard that part. It's rare but the best music can sometimes still do that to me.
    yancy
    yancy

Post by yancy Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:57 pm

Agreed on both counts with regard to "Touch." They nailed the emotional center of the record. Makes me want to see Phantom of the Paradise, although I'm sure it's much cheesier than the song.
    techno raj
    techno raj
    Tub of Lemon Chobani

Pizzas : 228

Post by techno raj Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:15 pm

It's been a few years since I've seen Phantom, but I recall it being quite good and not cheesy (beyond the baseline you would expect for a glam-era musical comedy reinterpretation of PotO, I guess).
    quip
    quip
    Jasper's Yurt of Enlightened Conversation

Pizzas : 74

Post by quip Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:19 pm

i was just listening to the album again last night and was thinking the same thing about "I need something more."

also the drumming on Contact is so hilariously over the top i giggle every time i listen to it. that song could go on for another 12 minutes as far as i'm concerned.
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:51 pm

What's a good way to experience this album?

A lot of you seem to really love it and I'm wondering what you're doing when you're listening to it.

Some of their past albums didn't click with me immediately -- although I think this was the case for most everyone else in the world since 1997 -- so I was a sorta prepared for this one to be another grower but I find myself frustrated by it, worried that I'm not "getting" it, wondering if I'm trying too hard to love it, etc. Considering the hype behind this album, perhaps those feelings were inevitable, although I didn't go through anything like this when MBV was released, or other albums from 2013 that I was really looking forward to.

There's a lot about it that I do really enjoy but then I notice that the tracks I want to skip the most seem to be the ones that you all love the most.

I don't think I'm coming at this album from the same place as most of the 16 year-old Deadmau5 fans who bought it, but I wonder if I'm feeling impatient with it in the exact same way that most of them probably are. I enjoyed the disco-indulgences of Discovery, definitely wasn't expecting anything that sounded like Homework, and wasn't asking for a whole album in the vein of "Derezzed" (which I'd probably still like them to do even though it wouldn't necessarily be the best album that they could make in 2012/2013).

What I'm trying to say is that Daft Punk is once again working on a level that I'm not yet ready for or (in a less likely scenario) I actually DO have better musical taste than the members of Daft Punk in 2013 A.D. and it sucks. There are probably other possibilities in between but I haven't looked into them yet.

I probably have more to say here but I'm at work and need to go take a dump.
    zappo
    zappo
    Supermasculine Menial

Pizzas : 870

Post by zappo Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:02 pm

Just go and listen to some disco, dude.  I really enjoy most of this Daft Punk record, but I've also spent most of the day listening to Indian disco and the Andrea True Connection.
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:10 pm

I wrote a shitty post but there's no turning back now.
    ClosetOfExhaustion
    ClosetOfExhaustion
    Have You Heard?

Dispositiondisposed

Post by ClosetOfExhaustion Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:15 pm

this is the most i've heard from this album so far: 

yancy
    yancy

Post by yancy Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:20 pm

undo wrote:I wrote a shitty post but there's no turning back now.
    Not a shitty post at all. I just don't have the spare neurons to post a thoughtful response right now. Multitasking with actual work.
    Duff...
    Duff...

DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:56 pm

If it makes you feel any better I have no idea what to do with "Touch".
    BGwaves
    BGwaves

Pizzas : 282
    DispositionBLACK..... coffee in bed

Post by BGwaves Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:17 pm

I skip game of love and within. Both songs lay on the cheese I little to thick for my tastes. As for Touch, I feel like that song exists in an emotional space similar to songs such as Everybody Hurts and Do You Realize? Songs with messages that are so simple and yet somehow they reach most people's emotional centers because the message is universally relatable. As a person who's had a fair amount of death surround me in the last few years, among other human traumas, I think it's a beautiful sentiment and nice to hear a song that's hopeful.

I think I understand where you are coming from though. My fav songs are get lucky and lose yourself to dance and I think it woulda been cool to have an album full of that sound. But as it is I find myself enjoying it more during relaxed listening situations like driving to the beach, BBQing, or light housework.
    Duff...
    Duff...

DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:23 pm

BGwaves wrote:As for Touch, I feel like that song exists in an emotional space similar to songs such as Everybody Hurts and Do You Realize?
    Couldn't ask for a more succinct explanation for why I don't care for this particular Daft Punk song.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:18 pm