Gun Perverts

Ted Falconi
    Hot For Pizza

Pizzas : 269

Gun Perverts

Post by Ted Falconi on Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:22 pm

A passenger in March at Bradley Hartford International Airport in Connecticut had a loaded .38-caliber pistol containing eight rounds strapped to his lower left leg. At Salt Lake City International Airport, a gun was found inside a passenger's boot strapped to a prosthetic leg.

TSA doesn't believe these gun-toting passengers are terrorists, but the agency can't explain why so many passengers try to board planes with guns, either, Castelveter said. The most common excuse offered by passengers is "I forgot it was there."

"We don't analyze the behavioral traits of people who carry weapons. We're looking for terrorists," he said. "But sometimes you have to scratch your head and say, 'Why?'"

Many passengers found to have guns by screeners are arrested, but not all. It depends on the gun laws where the airport is located. If the state or jurisdiction where the airport is located has tolerant gun laws, TSA screeners will frequently hand the gun back to the passenger and recommend locking it in a car or finding some other safe place for it. The government doesn't track what happens to the people who are arrested.

Is it plausible that some people are so used to carrying guns that they simply forget that they have them, even when they're at an airport about to walk through a scanner? Or do some people try to bring their guns with them when they fly because they think they won't get caught?

Jimmy Taylor, a sociology professor at Ohio University-Zanesville and the author of several books on the nation's gun culture, said some gun owners are so used to carrying concealed weapons that it's no different to them than carrying keys or a wallet.

The most common reason people say they carry guns is for protection, so it also makes sense that most of the guns intercepted by TSA are loaded, Taylor said. Many gun owners keep their weapons loaded so they're ready if needed, he said.

Even so, Taylor said he finds it hard to believe airline passengers forget they're carrying guns.

"My wife and I check on things like eye drops and Chapstick to see if we're allowed to take them on a plane, so it's a little difficult to imagine that you aren't checking the policies about your loaded firearm before you get to the airport," he said.

http://www.apnewsarchive.com/2013/AP_IMPACT%3A_More_air_passengers_show_up_with_guns/id-9d0626c157a548c6b86a10402a777e76
    Interesting piece of legislation, that 2nd Amendment.
    I can't buy 2 packages of cold medicine at once.

Duff...
    A fanatic of the sketch genre

Pizzas : 321
    DispositionSunny.

Re: Gun Perverts

Post by Duff... on Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:41 pm

Interesting interpretation of the 2nd Amendment we're living under in recent times.
    chrondog
    Fuckin Thot

Pizzas : 179

Post by chrondog on Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:50 pm

infinitely more emphasis on the 11th grade U.S. History lesson on the circumstances surrounding the creation of the Second Amendment and the true meaning of "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State" would serve this country well.

that children are raised on the kind of thinking that would cause them to "forget" they are carrying a loaded firearm at an airport is another reason why homeschooling/charter schooling/curriculum controlled by the states is complete bullshit. it's hard for liberals to admit that the main point of compulsory public education is so we socialize children into not being anti-statist lunatics.
    Ҩ
    Fuckin Thot

Pizzas : 35
    DispositionIntransigent

Post by Ҩ on Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:12 am

If only the NSA tracked gun nuts.
    raj gibson
    Radical Bitch

Pizzas : 157

Post by raj gibson on Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:27 pm

jasperness wrote:that children are raised on the kind of thinking that would cause them to "forget" they are carrying a loaded firearm at an airport is another reason why homeschooling/charter schooling/curriculum controlled by the states is complete bullshit. it's hard for liberals to admit that the main point of compulsory public education is so we socialize children into not being anti-statist lunatics.
    You think so? I've always thought gun culture came much more from family and community than anything to do with any particular style of schooling.
    Ted Falconi
    Hot For Pizza

Pizzas : 269

Post by Ted Falconi on Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:26 pm

Yeah, here's a guy and his kid, both doing the "yeah I got a gun, you wanna tread on me, motherfucker?" thing that I hear is popular in certain regions:
    http://www.abc15.com/dpp/news/region_phoenix_metro/central_phoenix/phoenix-police-monitor-man-child-carrying-rifle-handgun-at-sky-harbor
    undo
    a stomach churning mess of bass

Pizzas : 398

Post by undo on Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:25 pm

They get so upset when people refer to semi-auto weapons with high-capacity magazines as "assault rifles". "The AR-15 is sporting rifle you're an idoit!!" And then they use that as proof that libs et al. are too ignorant about guns to ever pass any laws about them.

This is like asking your neighbor to turn down the loud rap music they're playing while your child is trying to sleep. And having them say "this is hip-hop, I'm not listening to someone who doesn't even know what the four pillars are!"

That analogy needs a lot of work but I'm trying my best here.
    undo

Post by undo on Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:30 pm

I'd probably enjoy some target practice.

Can people learn to become sharpshooters without the power going to their head?
    chrondog
    Fuckin Thot

Post by chrondog on Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:10 pm

raj gibson wrote:
    jasperness wrote:that children are raised on the kind of thinking that would cause them to "forget" they are carrying a loaded firearm at an airport is another reason why homeschooling/charter schooling/curriculum controlled by the states is complete bullshit. it's hard for liberals to admit that the main point of compulsory public education is so we socialize children into not being anti-statist lunatics.
    You think so? I've always thought gun culture came much more from family and community than anything to do with any particular style of schooling.
    my point was attempting to show how the two are related. the more parental and community control you give over education via homeschooling and charter school initiatives, the more likely you are that these community values about guns will be passed down to children. a child homeschooled in rural Tennessee is likely to have views of guns that are abhorrent to us big city types. a child schooled at an Oxford, Mississippi charter school that gets to pick its own, poorly credentialed wacko teachers is more likely to produce students with views that reflect the local culture. the fact that Texas gets to create its own education curriculum likely means they will teach the Second Amendment in public schools in a way that is amenable to their pro-gun ideology.

my belief is that civic values are socialized through compulsory public schooling and the ability for the state to create a pro-democratic citizenry is weakened by institutions that undermine public schooling - like homeschooling, charter schooling, and state-created curriculum.
    raj gibson
    Radical Bitch

Pizzas : 157

Post by raj gibson on Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:48 pm

jasperness wrote:my point was attempting to show how the two are related. the more parental and community control you give over education via homeschooling and charter school initiatives, the more likely you are that these community values about guns will be passed down to children. a child homeschooled in rural Tennessee is likely to have views of guns that are abhorrent to us big city types.
    But will his or her beliefs really vary that much from a publicly schooled child in rural Tennessee, who would probably be pro-gun ownership too anyway? Have you seen some research on this to indicate that home/charter schooling is a factor beyond other demographics?

my belief is that civic values are socialized through compulsory public schooling and the ability for the state to create a pro-democratic citizenry is weakened by institutions that undermine public schooling - like homeschooling, charter schooling, and state-created curriculum.
    I dunno man, seems like a big enough challenge just to teach the kids to read and write. Socializing the citizenry contra to what all their family, friends, and neighbors believe is a tall order.
    chrondog
    Fuckin Thot

Post by chrondog on Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:28 am

raj gibson wrote:But will his or her beliefs really vary that much from a publicly schooled child in rural Tennessee, who would probably be pro-gun ownership too anyway? Have you seen some research on this to indicate that home/charter schooling is a factor beyond other demographics?
    i would get mad at you for dogging me and asking for research you know doesn't exist but i guess it's a fair question. i don't know any study that has looked at the social and political views of the students upon exiting a particular educational path. i assume most demographic analyses of education focus on the makeup of the families when the children enter school.

the public school kid in rural Tennessee won't necessarily have less pro-gun views, and i wouldn't be interested in indoctrinating children to create specific outcomes. i just think that the social laboratory of the public school classroom has a moderating effect and helps to destroy the ideological minds that are created by biased instruction. that the difficulties that arise from different viewpoints is addressed in an experiential way. that is a lesson that i think sticks with people regardless of what their political views end up being.

any homeschool or charter student could, theoretically, be exposed to the same diversity of thought in their own educational journey. i am just very concerned about legislating to allow parents or charter school executives to control children. i understand that people have the same concerns about public schools "controlling children", but to me the lack of oversight in these emerging educational sectors is worrying.

raj gibson wrote:I dunno man, seems like a big enough challenge just to teach the kids to read and write. Socializing the citizenry contra to what all their family, friends, and neighbors believe is a tall order.
    again, i'm not promoting some sort of bogeyman "indoctrination agenda" to create specific outcomes. a facts-based history and government curriculum that is the same in rural Maine and urban Miami for all American children is all i would ask for. one that at least gives them a chance to leave the cloisters of their local communities and form their own judgments about the history of political thought.
    zappo
    President Pence's First Lady

Pizzas : 474

Post by zappo on Sun Dec 29, 2013 2:16 pm

Rapper Doe B was murdered at a club, the other night.

"Clubs keep lettin guns in the club as if that's not where we as artists work. We got families to go home to, fuck is wrong with y'all," said artist Machine Gun Kelly.
    yancy
    equal parts Skrillex, T. Rex, Ed Kowalczyk, Joe Dumars, Outkast, and Kate Bush

Pizzas : 335

Post by yancy on Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:05 pm

Hard to believe a guy called Blood Money with dozens of arrests for gun & drug charges was murdered. #negbait
    Nick
    the golden age of crackers

Pizzas : 584

Post by Nick on Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:49 pm

Jesus I should know not to read comments sections on Facebook related to a new school shooting.
    reuben
    the golden age of crackers

Pizzas : 591

Post by reuben on Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:59 pm

I can't wait until today's youth grows up and the next generation is like "school shootings? fuck that. that's the kind of shit that our parents did."
    zappo
    President Pence's First Lady

Pizzas : 474

Post by zappo on Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:37 am

A friend of mine is visiting St. Louis, this weekend. Yesterday afternoon, he sent me this text message.

Dan wrote:My bro and I saw 3 dudes with assault rifles on their chest walking around downtown St. Louis. I asked if they had a permit, the dude replied "I have the 5th amendment and don't need one". I hate America
    undo

Post by undo on Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:33 pm

https://twitter.com/JebBush/status/699706718419345408
    undo

Post by undo on Sat May 14, 2016 12:31 pm

http://www.theverge.com/2016/5/6/11608260/gun-baby-gender-sex-announcement-seriously-guns
    ? Ospink
    Republican Cousin

Pizzas : 62

Post by ? Ospink on Fri Jun 03, 2016 12:18 pm

Imagine how Trump would field this question.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:58 am