The Sounds of Your LIfe

WP64
    WP64
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Pizzas : 65
    DispositionIntransigent

The Sounds of Your LIfe Empty The Sounds of Your LIfe

Post by WP64 Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:21 am

I'm lurking hipinion tonight out of boredom and I stumbled across an interesting thread...

http://forums.hipinion.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=64443&sid=409f17381242407d2b4b8c1ceabe96e3

This inspired me to take up the same project tonight and see where it takes me. I am totally incapable of reflecting on my life thus far without feeling either extreme nostalgia or regret. This is kind of an exciting means through which to gather some retrospectively objective view of myself. Plus it will probably help me to ground my music listening a bit in the coming months since I am all over the place.

I'd also love to hear what you guys come up with if you're interested in sharing. This might have been done before on either SOMB or Members-Only Ninja Turtles Fan Forum but I can't exactly recall. I do remember Some Girl (I think...) starting a thread on our first experience of sound and being totally blown away with Avec's response. If I remember correctly it was listening to a furnace, which means even in his nascent years he was still attached to his ambient nook.

I'm going to work on this tonight and probably make some massive post in the early morning. Should be entertaining or at least funny for you guys to read.
    coyote
    coyote
    A classically handsome man's man in the Huey Lewis mold

Pizzas : 99

The Sounds of Your LIfe Empty Re: The Sounds of Your LIfe

Post by coyote Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:40 pm

wp64 wrote: I do remember Some Girl (I think...) starting a thread on our first experience of sound and being totally blown away with Avec's response. If I remember correctly it was listening to a furnace, which means even in his nascent years he was still attached to his ambient nook.
    lol. i miss some girl. and paves. i don't miss the ambient nook though, or somb. a lot of the ambient records i used to like a lot i can't listen to any more. theyre not bad, i'm just not in that space any longer in my life. mostly it's the darker, oppressive records i can't get into.

i could probably do this project but i have countless other projects in reality that need attending to. my baby is due any day now.

a synopsis would look like

interest in natural/industrial sound -- classical music on the radio -- parents records of leonard cohen, hall n oates, etc -- metallica -- misfits -- velvet underground -- spacemen 3 -- ambient music -- new age music

have no idea what's going on in the indie scene of music nowadays.

Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

Pizzas : 993
    DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:55 pm

A chubby kid who was a couple years older than me in sports made me a cassette tape with Green Day's Dookie on one side and Aerosmith's Big Ones compilation on the other. I then copied it so that my little brother and I could both listen to it endlessly on our walkmans. This was during those junior high days where music was just starting to become a big thing for me, and both the albums became embedded in my brain forever. I really hope that someday I will find the "remix" cassette tape my brother made* of some of the choicest Dookie singles, by screaming the lyrics into accompanied by a rapmaster 2000 boombox. I think maybe it is buried under the rubble in my parents crawlspace.

* we made it together, but I am giving him sole creative credit for stealing the show. Even at an early day it was evident from his rendition of "She" that he would be the musician of the family.

Last edited by Ned Braden on Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:00 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : rapmaster technicality)
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

Pizzas : 993
    DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:58 pm

Ned Braden wrote:rapmaster 2000 boombox.

For the record, this was an honest to god thing, and not just a typically great Simpsons moment.

The Sounds of Your LIfe Realistic_rap_master

Though, from the picture, I'm thinking I probably got "2000" stuck in my brain from the Simpsons.
    WP64
    WP64
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Pizzas : 65
    DispositionIntransigent

Post by WP64 Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:30 am

This was a really optimistic idea that came about because I was drunk and romanticizing my past musical tastes or some shit. I came up with a pretty rough sketch of what I'd eventually like to post that night but haven't done much since. I am sure at some point it might get finished but one band that has really been a cornerstone for me is Pearl Jam. They really kick some major ass.

Back in the limewire days I downloaded a live recording of them playing "Porch" on SNL and I was just listening to that while driving 25 mph over the speed limit down the dark stretches of Naper-Planfield (Nick knows what I am talking about I assume).

They really introduced me to some pretty fucking groundbreaking things, the obvious one being Neil Young. I saw some video of them playing together and that spurred my interest I think. Sometimes I run into people who have a problem with PJ, which is fucking retarded. I know those assholes didn't develop that opinion on their own and only think it is tight because Kurt Cobain said so. It reminds me of leftist radicals who are offended by the idea of a labour party because they want to scoff at reformist tendencies. Cobain's ass ended up dickriding Buzz Osborne who seems like the biggest fucker of basically ever. Maybe you don't have to be an angsty, cigarette smoking, depressive in order to dig grunge music. And maybe you shouldn't hang out with fiscal conservatives.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:07 am