yancy
Gene Bootcut
22 posters

Clothes houndz.

chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Pizzas : 342

Clothes houndz. - Page 11 Empty Re: Clothes houndz.

Post by chrondog Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:21 pm

C-poots wrote:What are "the trend cycle" and "trendware" exactly?

fashion observers generally break the year up into "seasons" that have different "trends" in terms of what styles and colors of clothes are "in". this process tends to be cyclical. camo patterns are a style that is currently on-trend, but camo has also been on-trend in the past, at an earlier point in "the trend cycle". "trendware" is a term that i probably just made up that refers to clothes that are currently on the trend of the season. camo is current "trendware".

your weirdly obtuse and patronizing posting has gotten a little silly recently.
    C-poots
    C-poots
    Shiek

Pizzas : 201

Post by C-poots Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:56 pm

jasperness wrote:
    C-poots wrote:What are "the trend cycle" and "trendware" exactly?

fashion observers generally break the year up into "seasons" that have different "trends" in terms of what styles and colors of clothes are "in". this process tends to be cyclical. camo patterns are a style that is currently on-trend, but camo has also been on-trend in the past, at an earlier point in "the trend cycle". "trendware" is a term that i probably just made up that refers to clothes that are currently on the trend of the season. camo is current "trendware".

your weirdly obtuse and patronizing posting has gotten a little silly recently.

I just don't get why you have to always post like you are an expert on every subject. You admittedly wear ill-fitting clothing you buy from thrift-shops, but you are going to explain what "fashion observers generally do"? I just find it obnoxious. You even admit to having made up one of the two terms I asked about so I feel at least 50% justified in my question.

I'll hold back my shitty reactions from now on though, despite my annoyances I am glad you and others are engaged in this thread again.

C-poots
    C-poots
    Shiek

Post by C-poots Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:22 am

Anyway, Sorry Chrono I won't be such a butthead anymore, I pretty much knew what you meant by those terms as you already know.

To change things up, and x-post with the as of yet made "crushes of people you randomly stumbled across while shitting and surfing instagram", I have a crush on Margret Zhang and like everything she wears.

http://shinebythree.com/
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Post by chrondog Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:24 am

C-poots wrote:I just don't get why you have to always post like you are an expert on every subject. You admittedly wear ill-fitting clothing you buy from thrift-shops, but you are going to explain what "fashion observers generally do"? I just find it obnoxious. You even admit to having made up one of the two terms I asked about so I feel at least 50% justified in my question.

should i start every post with "in my opinion" or "this is how i see it"? this is just another twist on the debates we had on this board years ago about whether opinion on music should aim for objectivity or subjectivity. every post i make is just a reflection of what i think and how i understand a given topic. that's why i'm posting on a message board. because i like to have other people introduce me to topics and i can try to flesh out my thoughts on them.

maybe, as Waylon has pointed out in the past, i use terms like "obviously" or "generally" too much and it comes off as attempting to be definitive about a subject when i actually invite criticism. "generally" doesn't mean, to me, that i think i have my finger on the pulse of objective reality and what 50% + 1 of people are doing. it just means, from where i'm sitting, this is how i perceive things to be. i want people to challenge my assertions and give me a taste of their worldview and how its different from mine.

if you don't think camo is currently a trend, i'd love to hear who your fashion trendsetters are. i'd love to hear how you think the modern camo trend is new or different from camo trends in the past and maybe isn't part of a cycle. i'd love to be asked to clarify a made up word like "trendware" by someone who came across as actually curious.

i make up terms because i am having fun and using colloquial language. i went into a douchy spiel about what "fashion observers generally do" because you asked me another douchy question. i just matched your patronizing tone in my second post. i think there's a markedly different tone in my second post from what i thought was a lighthearted first post about how people wears lots of camo.

i guess i just continue to find it a feigned ignorance that you don't understand, at least a little, where my persona is coming from after all these years and figure you'd rather just be a sourpuss about it.

C-poots wrote:Anyway, Sorry Chrono I won't be such a butthead anymore, I pretty much knew what you meant by those terms as you already know.

Cool

it's all gravy and/or bridge over troubled water, my friend
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Post by chrondog Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:35 am

C-poots wrote:http://shinebythree.com/

this is a good segue into getting your thoughts on the high-end fashion trend of all over prints. large, bold prints seem to be everywhere. http://instagram.com/p/mopK-7EmPs/

i really love looking at $1000 Givenchy crew necks that are ridiculously garish these days. in the large print game, this crazy style of floral printing keeps catching my eye: http://www.barneys.com/on/demandware.store/Sites-BNY-Site/default/Product-Show?pid=503185858&cgid=mens-hoodie-sweats&index=11

i want to see if there's any way i could find a way to incorporate some floral printed item into my weekendware.
    petey
    petey
    Still has http://lotsofpeopleposting.teensboards.com bookmarked

Pizzas : 49

Post by petey Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:56 am

Zara generally rips off high end fashion labels so they might have an affordable version of what you're looking for.
    C-poots
    C-poots
    Shiek

Post by C-poots Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:16 am

jasperness wrote:
    C-poots wrote:http://shinebythree.com/
    i really love looking at $1000 Givenchy crew necks that are ridiculously garish these days. in the large print game, this crazy style of floral printing keeps catching my eye: http://www.barneys.com/on/demandware.store/Sites-BNY-Site/default/Product-Show?pid=503185858&cgid=mens-hoodie-sweats&index=11

i want to see if there's any way i could find a way to incorporate some floral printed item into my weekendware.

I really like that Givenchy shirt.

edit: removed a paragraph I'm not sure I articulated properly.

_______

With regards to big all over prints and floral patterns on men, I like the look in moderation or in the extreme, but not really in between. The Prada spring 2014 look was one I didn't really enjoy because it was to my eyes just a shitty recontextualization of Cheesey Hawaii Prints without actually saying anything new about the print or the look. If you are going to do it, either start with something that fits well and is a little bit playful or go all out. If you do go all out though, don't support H&M, Zara, Etc. I'm totally cool with buying cheap staple items from these places but I hate the fact that these companies are so successful using a business model of actually ripping off runway shows with as much speed and cheapness as possible.

Last edited by C-poots on Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:03 pm; edited 2 times in total
    Gene Bootcut
    Gene Bootcut
    A fanatic of the sketch genre

Pizzas : 441

Post by Gene Bootcut Sat Apr 12, 2014 2:03 pm

C-poots wrote:Also, sorry but it really is not that hard to make a sweater over a button down shirt look reasonable.

I have generally found this very difficult. Physically uncomfortable, too. I don't wear them together.
    C-poots
    C-poots
    Shiek

Post by C-poots Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:04 am

What do you guys find difficult about it? This is my go-to lazy weekday outfit because it is so easy to throw on and not worry about, so I'm curious about what you guys are disliking about it.

C-poots
    C-poots
    Shiek

Post by C-poots Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:40 pm

http://putthison.com/post/82116524753/how-did-this-fabric-get-into-my-shirt-although

Thought this was a pretty interesting and light look at how different designers procure, select, and make their fabrics. I realize it isn't the intention of the article but I would have loved to see some detective work as to who was sharing textile mills - specifically interested in how the giant holding companies like LVMH and Gucci Group affect the creation process. I know Hermes has been adamantly pushing back against an LVMH acquisition because of fear of cost-cutting and outsourcing.

While I'm not planning on going out and dropping $400 for a T-shirt (mainly because I don't have it, not out of principle), I've more and more started to understand why companies like Visvim are charging as such and see it as slightly less redic. Though, to be fair there is a ton of overpriced product based on hype and brand name and it takes a surprising amount of research to figure out whos who.
    Duff...
    Duff...
    Current Bass Player of UFO

Pizzas : 809
    DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:37 am

Saw a Canadian gay man on TV today wearing a camouflage tie. This is happening.
    C-poots
    C-poots
    Shiek

Post by C-poots Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:20 pm

Valentino men's accessories this season are camo'ed out iirc, and quite ugly too.
    Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Pizzas : 978

Post by Nick Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:16 pm

Visvim had a short write up in this months GQ. Name dropped Kanye as a fan in the first sentence and I knew it was going to be some over priced bullshit.

My Camo pants will be here Friday and I'm going to show the fashion blogging world how a genuinely handsome man wears it.
    C-poots
    C-poots
    Shiek

Post by C-poots Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:52 am

Sorry Nick, but you're going to look dumb in camo shorts. May as well cut the sleeves off of your t-shirts while you wait for the bottoms to arrive.

Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Post by Nick Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:52 am

They are pants. Not shorts. And dude I look for reasons to wear sleeveless shirts so this will only add to those opportunities.
    C-poots
    C-poots
    Shiek

Post by C-poots Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:40 pm

I occasionally forget that you aren't your avatar irl, on whom cargo anything and cut-off shirts would be beyond ridiculous.
    yancy
    yancy
    equal parts Skrillex, T. Rex, Ed Kowalczyk, Joe Dumars, Outkast, and Kate Bush

Post by yancy Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:20 pm

Got a compliment on my new hoodie at Caputo's today!

Clothes houndz. - Page 11 20415089_045_b
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Post by chrondog Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:29 pm

you must be the Midwest's number one hoodie aficionado, Yanc-E

how common would you say the hoodie is in suburban Illinois? or better yet, how common is it for someone to wear a hoodie as everyday attire, rather than something you wear just around the house?

maybe you've seen some of the think pieces about the rise of the casual workplace and Mark Zuckerberg's hoodie and just how prominent they are out here in California. i had a co-worker from North Carolina tell me that she rarely sees anyone wearing a hoodie out there. the hoodie seems to have worked its way into the mainstream though, and surely people are walking around wearing Bulls or Cubs hoodies in Chicago. just curious if anyone can comment on the geographical distribution of frequent hoodie wearing. maybe our overseas friends as well?
    Duff...
    Duff...
    Current Bass Player of UFO

Pizzas : 809
    DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:49 pm

People indeed wear hoodies here, but Mark Zuckerberg is not the picture that comes up when I think about it.
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Post by chrondog Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:19 am

here's one of my points of reference: http://www.businessinsider.com/satya-nadella-is-very-stylish-2014-2
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Post by chrondog Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:23 am

maybe we should all put together some "my closet" slideshows and make fools of ourselves
    Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Post by Nick Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:37 am

In Chicago you know it is Spring when people say something like "It was so nice this weekend I walked around all day in just a Hoodie!"
    ClosetOfExhaustion
    ClosetOfExhaustion
    Have You Heard?

Pizzas : 275
    Dispositiondisposed

Post by ClosetOfExhaustion Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:06 am

dude on the plane yesterday was wearing these.  they looked good. aqua socks, too

Clothes houndz. - Page 11 8344200_fpx.tif%7D&anchor=0,0&layer=2&wid=236&posN=1.0,0&wid=472&qlt=90&op_sharpen=0&resMode=bicub&op_usm=0.7,1.0,0
    yancy
    yancy
    equal parts Skrillex, T. Rex, Ed Kowalczyk, Joe Dumars, Outkast, and Kate Bush

Post by yancy Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:16 pm

jasperness wrote:how common would you say the hoodie is in suburban Illinois? or better yet, how common is it for someone to wear a hoodie as everyday attire, rather than something you wear just around the house?
    I wouldn't say it's daily attire so much as a jacket, and it's jacket weather pretty damn often here. I guess they're fairly common? Never paid much mind. Also never thought of it primarily as loungewear, although I am wearing one now. Better than running the heat in mid-April.
    Gene Bootcut
    Gene Bootcut
    A fanatic of the sketch genre

Pizzas : 441

Post by Gene Bootcut Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:44 pm

My brother gave me a hoody for Christmas and it's a nice hoody, I just can't see myself in it. Started wearing it on short trips to the shop, kind of feel like a phoney when I do.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:26 am