Ned Braden
undo
9 posters

Standing Outside a Broken Phone Booth With Money In My Hand

undo
    undo
    Internet's Busiest Music Nerd

Pizzas : 1144

Standing Outside a Broken Phone Booth With Money In My Hand Empty Standing Outside a Broken Phone Booth With Money In My Hand

Post by undo Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:25 am

undo
    undo

Standing Outside a Broken Phone Booth With Money In My Hand Empty Re: Standing Outside a Broken Phone Booth With Money In My Hand

Post by undo Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:27 am

This might be my favorite thing from this moment in time, if you catch my drift, and if you don't that's okay too
    undo
    undo

Standing Outside a Broken Phone Booth With Money In My Hand Empty Re: Standing Outside a Broken Phone Booth With Money In My Hand

Post by undo Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:29 am

The album is really terrible and nothing at all like this
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:31 am

This was the best song of the 90s that Actually Lots of people really liked for a real moment in time
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:37 am

The last minute of this song is one of the most psychedelic joyful music ever recorded but you wouldn't know it because they cut it out if the version that's always been played on the radio and who in the world has actually bothered to listen to this album
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:12 am

I hate to do this but I really don't want to talk about The Cable Guy starting Jim Carrey, I seem to be the only person in the world who does not think of this movie whenever they hear the song! But I hope I'm wrong about that.

I think about both this song and this movie an unhealthy and probably weird amount, but I have never thought about them together in any way and I’m actually sorta weirded out now reflecting on somehow not having noticed that this song is on that soundtrack.
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

Pizzas : 997
    DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:42 am

I think about both this song and this movie an unhealthy and probably weird amount, but I have never thought about them together in any way and I’m actually sorta weirded out now reflecting on somehow not having noticed that this song is on that soundtrack.
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Wed Dec 02, 2020 4:11 am

I have no idea how Ned's post ended up inside the one I wrote but I'm not going to change it
    Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Pizzas : 980

Post by Nick Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:46 am

Owen Wilson, his sweater and his aggressive approach on a first date put in quite the performance in the film The Cable Guy.
    jesus jones
    jesus jones
    Tub of Lemon Chobani

Pizzas : 259

Post by jesus jones Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:13 am

i remember being really freaked out by the premise of a plane landing on bourbon street when i heard this song as a kid
    BGwaves
    BGwaves
    basically just a wordier, shittier sausage blurb

Pizzas : 283
    DispositionBLACK..... coffee in bed

Post by BGwaves Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:33 am

Pretty sure my dad and my uncle used to smoke up to this song. I have a strong memory of the both of them singing the bb king part in a grizzled blues guy voice while we were on our way to Handy Andy.
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:36 am

I've posted under the influence a lot here before but never had quite the sort of next day wtf reaction to any of it as I'm feeling right now
    quip
    quip
    Jasper's Yurt of Enlightened Conversation

Pizzas : 74

Post by quip Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:15 pm

I had forgotten about this song. More under the influence posting please.
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Wed Dec 02, 2020 5:09 pm

undo wrote:I've posted under the influence a lot here before but never had quite the sort of next day wtf reaction to any of it as I'm feeling right now

undo wrote:I have no idea how Ned's post ended up inside the one I wrote but I'm not going to change it

Yeah, I was drunk last night too and me neither. Good thread.
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Wed Dec 02, 2020 5:19 pm

Nick wrote:Owen Wilson, his sweater and his aggressive approach on a first date put in quite the performance in the film The Cable Guy.

I’ve been told I look like Jim Carrey before and I disagree 100%. Except for Jim Carrey with a mustache beating up Owen Wilson in the bathroom in that one scene. When I have a mustache I look exactly like that.
    Duff...
    Duff...
    Current Bass Player of UFO

Pizzas : 812
    DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Wed Dec 02, 2020 6:10 pm

undo wrote:The album is really terrible and nothing at all like this

Yeah learned this after a friend of mine bought it at Rolling Stone and brought it to a sleepover that night.

undo wrote:I hate to do this but I really don't want to talk about The Cable Guy starting Jim Carrey, I seem to be the only person in the world who does not think of this movie whenever they hear the song! But I hope I'm wrong about that.

I had no idea these things were even associated and I feel pretty familiar with both, being like 15 when they came out.
    Duff...
    Duff...

DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Wed Dec 02, 2020 6:17 pm

https://intensities.wordpress.com/2010/07/11/request-line-sacramento-rasputin-what-do-all-the-people-know-standing-outside-a-broken-phone-booth-with-money-in-my-hands/
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:31 pm

I don't have a lot of good ideas for how to best describe the sound or the style of the piano in this song but I really don't think "smooth jazz" is one I'd consider.
    Michael K.
    Michael K.
    Fascist Groove Shark

Pizzas : 161
    Dispositionpickled

Post by Michael K. Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:23 pm

Have I told you guys about how I saw this band in November 1996 at a small club in Palo Alto? I won tickets on a local radio station - Live 105 - and my dad wouldn't let me go alone. I was 13 and the venue was about an hour and a half from our house. We got there really early - always my dad's style - and I drank a yellow (wtf) Shirley Temple while my dad had a gin & tonic I think. We shot pool and there were some dudes that were playing at the table next to us. We had a pool table in my house growing up, so I was pretty okay at it. I'm not entirely sure how it happened, but I ended up playing against one of the guys at the other table. They all looked pretty cool - tall, dressed in black, lots of leather and shit. I beat this cool guy in a game of 8 ball. Pretty sure last shot was a side pocket job. Felt really great, but I don't think the guys were all that thrilled to have lost to a relatively cocky 13 yo and his fairly dorky dad. The opener I don't really recall but it was pretty much the thrill of my life when the Primitive Radio Gods took the stage and I realized I had destroyed the lead singer in a game of billiards.
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:56 pm

That's one of the best posts I've read in years.
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:10 pm

I never noticed the female backup vocals in this until last night.

Standing Outside a Broken Phone Booth With Money In My Hand Bw10

Great headphones if you don't mind the cartilage in your ears being smashed every time you wear them.
    Duff...
    Duff...

DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:22 pm

undo wrote:I don't have a lot of good ideas for how to best describe the sound or the style of the piano in this song but I really don't think "smooth jazz" is one I'd consider.

Yeah, he didn't seem too confident with it either. Also surprised he never sought out the album, though good decision not to.

Could've sworn I learned the history of that record from that blogpost, how basically the whole band except that one guy quit (he may have been solely responsible for SOABPBWMIMH but maybe I made that up) right before Rocket came out and he cashed in while they didn't, but I guess that was somewhere else. I'm sure the story's out there somewhere.
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:26 pm

undo wrote:That's one of the best posts I've read in years.

Seriously, that post made my night. Way cooler than me drunk bowling with one of the dudes from The Hold Steady one time.
    Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Pizzas : 980

Post by Nick Thu Dec 03, 2020 3:07 pm

undo wrote:That's one of the best posts I've read in years.

Since this morning I’ve read it 3 times to myself and twice out loud to other people. Just outstanding boarding.
    Michael K.
    Michael K.
    Fascist Groove Shark

Pizzas : 161
    Dispositionpickled

Post by Michael K. Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:35 pm

Haven't thought about that moment in awhile. I still very much genuinely enjoy this tune, so thanks for reminding me it exists and reminding me about that memory, unod.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 8:48 am