3 posters

mobile phone vexations (Android users edition)

undo
    undo
    Internet's Busiest Music Nerd

Pizzas : 1139

mobile phone vexations (Android users edition) Empty mobile phone vexations (Android users edition)

Post by undo Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:37 pm

When my phone is turned on but not in use and I pick it up and "wake it up," and then it takes me to this home screen...

mobile phone vexations (Android users edition) Resize46

Man, I REALLY want it to show me a notification if I have a new text message.

I shouldn't have to put in my unlock code and then open the text messages app--I don't like calling this an app, it is a basic feature of the phone--to see IF I have new text messages.

This damn thing has been lighting me up day and night with every unimportant notification you can imagine but the moment I need it to actually give me one, it doesn't do that.

This might be my fault because I might have accidentally turned this feature off at some point in the process of un-allowing every stupid app on this to access my contacts list, texts, photos, etc. But how do I "enable" this basic feature?

I could have been at home having my second cup of coffee, using my OWN toilet, working on a project, but no I'm sitting in a parking lot at work an hour earlier than I need to be because I didn't get a text that I was waiting on. And if I didn't get it, then I had no choice but to assume that I needed to be here NOW
    undo
    undo

mobile phone vexations (Android users edition) Empty Re: mobile phone vexations (Android users edition)

Post by undo Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:43 pm

LOPP is the only internet community I'm a part of that hasn't migrated completely to Discord.

Over the past few days I've come to truly realize how terrible Discord is for mitigating any kind of community/communication that does not wreck absolute havoc on your mental health. I could quit the app but then there's just no place left online for me to go anymore.

I fuckin hate smartphones! I'm on this damn thing all day at work and it just makes me miserable.
    undo
    undo

mobile phone vexations (Android users edition) Empty Re: mobile phone vexations (Android users edition)

Post by undo Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:47 pm

mobile phone vexations (Android users edition) Resize47

Okay, that sounds great. Now let's just set it up and...

mobile phone vexations (Android users edition) Resize48

Okay, I know we're all "okay" with our phones "spying on us" because we believe there's nothing we can do about it or that the pleasure tradeoff is somehow worth it, and okay I was scrobbling music from my old phone so I probably had to give it these permissions (to read my texts? am I understanding this wrong?), but exactly what am I agreeing to simply to get this to work?

6 years ago I was scrobbling music from my iPod touch and there was no contacts list or text messages for the app to read and it worked just fine, so don't tell me this is some absolutely essential thing it needs to grab the music I'm playing and throw it up on my last.fm chart.
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

Pizzas : 995
    DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Mon Jan 30, 2023 4:21 pm

undo wrote:LOPP is the only internet community I'm a part of that hasn't migrated completely to Discord.

At this point if LOPP ever evolves I kinda wouldn’t mind if it were to snail mail, group Christmas cards and invites to biennial karaoke bashes. Better that than discord.

All the issues in this thread seem infuriating, but I’m a lifelong iPhone user due to my total inability to understand tech. The first time I couldn’t figure out how to put mp3s onto an android was the last time I tried to use an android.
    Duff...
    Duff...
    Current Bass Player of UFO

Pizzas : 810
    DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:29 pm

I don't know what a Discord is outside the context of Fugazi and it sounds like I should keep it that way.

(Also an iphone user.)

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 3:29 pm