fighting, etc

Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

Pizzas : 993
    DispositionRock Guitars

fighting, etc - Page 4 Empty Re: fighting, etc

Post by Ned Braden Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:19 am

For real. Like Brock Lessnar getting his ass handed to him by Stephen Neal that one time in the NCAA finals.
    Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Pizzas : 978

Post by Nick Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:39 pm

I don’t think many people here watch/care about WWE but having boys who love it means I consume hours of pro wrestling each week.

Whatever bad things WWE stands for, it’s actually awesome to see how they’ve pushed their black superstars to the top of the card on all their shows. Bobby Lashley just won the WWE title and his buddies The Hurt Business hold the Raw tag team titles.

Big E is the Intercontinental Champion and feuding with Apollo Cruise. Street Profits are probably the most fun tag team going and held the titles for a year. And I think Montez Ford is an inevitable future solo superstar.

The New Day seem to have fallen to mid-card performers but Kofi Kingston was given a spot in Elimination Chamber a couple weeks ago so they’re still very relevant.

Even in the women’s division you have Sasha Banks holding a title and feuding with Bianca Bel Air and Nia Jax as part of the women’s tag champs.

Anyway, as someone who partially watches the matches and mostly loved watching my kids go nuts over these athletes I thought it was a cool evolution for a company that rightfully gets pilloried for the nasty shit they’ve been involved in.
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:38 am

I kinda love and am fascinated by pro wrestling, but I don't really watch it cause it's like arguably even more destructive to human lives than the NFL and Vince McMahon is one of the evilest men alive. But I love all the news in that above post, and I'm glad you're getting to rock the smackdown with your kids Nick.
    undo
    undo
    Internet's Busiest Music Nerd

Pizzas : 1138

Post by undo Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:17 pm

fighting, etc - Page 4 Why10

Could Mayweather take him out pretty much right away if he really wanted to? I know he has a side disadvantage but come on

Or is this a "fight" where they're trying to go the distance so people don't feel ripped off?
    BGwaves
    BGwaves
    basically just a wordier, shittier sausage blurb

Pizzas : 282
    DispositionBLACK..... coffee in bed

Post by BGwaves Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:24 am

I think this morning many feel ripped off. If you look at stats, Mayweather destroyed Paul. But without a knockout and no ‘rules for winning’ like in a real boxing match, Paul can claim some kind of victory by ‘going the distance’ for 8 rounds. Both boxers made millions of dollars and Paul might’ve attracted a few new fans by not losing. It’s a shit show. Another grift for all the suckers out there.

Punch Stats
    PUNCHES MAYWEATHER PAUL
    Total landed 43 28
    Total thrown 107 217
    Percent 40% 13%
    Jabs landed 7 7
    Jabs thrown 14 73
    Percent 50% 10%
    Power landed 36 21
    Power thrown 93 144
    Percent 39% 15%
    Gene Bootcut
    Gene Bootcut
    A fanatic of the sketch genre

Pizzas : 441

Post by Gene Bootcut Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:45 pm

undo I don't know much about boxing but my understanding is that more so than any other sport you can last two or three rounds just by being insanely fit, which is why so many ex-military types become low ranking professionals

(unless you're fighting someone whose main skill is delivering knockout blows but that's not who Floyd Mayweater is at all)
    Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Post by Nick Tue Mar 15, 2022 1:41 pm

RIP to Scott Hall. From his stint as Razor Ramon to an original NWO member he was one of the most entertaining and awesome pro wrestlers I’ve ever seen. Dude could command a mic and go from hilarious to intimidating in seconds.
    Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Post by Nick Mon Apr 03, 2023 12:58 am

Fantastic couple days of Wrestlemania. Roman retaining is the best result. Give him 1,000 days as champion.
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Sat May 06, 2023 3:02 am

fighting, etc - Page 4 Img_1212

I can’t believe that this was 16 years ago. It feels like it happened a year ago… and it feels like it could’ve happened 45 years ago… but 16 years ago seems so weird in my brain.

Pro wrestling is unique in the way it is so incredibly timeless yet so very of a moment. Hulkamania was a thing that spanned decades, but also lasted for like less than one decade. Does that sentence make sense?

Like, I was an 80s born kid whose formative years and pro wrestling fandom years were definitely 90s, but they were way more shaped by the 80s era and bled into the 2000s era, but also all these eras were sorta the exact same thing and they all could’ve and did exist in like the 50s with Calgary Stampede (I assume?)

Nick, I’m like a year late in replying but I also shed tears at the passing of Scott Hall. That guy matters in my head cannon. Two things about him that often cross my mind are 1) his cameo in the Insane Clown Posse movie Big Money Rustlas and 2) the N3gro League lyric, “I’m into Scott Hall, as well as pot y’all.”
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Sun Jun 11, 2023 12:16 am

I’m watching the Wrestlemania 13 submission match with Bret Hart and Stone Cold and really digging the number of Robin Ventura references by the announcers going down.

Hitman is my personal #1 all time for sure.
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Wed Nov 08, 2023 12:49 am

We are doing 12 days of Christmas themed work gifts for my friend who is deployed and I drew Pipers Piping. I wrote her a letter in crayon and got her a WWF action figure and a dvd of They Live.

Spoiler:
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Fri Nov 17, 2023 12:37 am

Fuck yeah, care package ready to send:
    fighting, etc - Page 4 Img_2027
    undo
    undo
    Internet's Busiest Music Nerd

Pizzas : 1138

Post by undo Sun Nov 26, 2023 3:46 pm

I never understood what his deal was but he was the main heel and biggest bad guy in wrestling when I was a kid. Was he Scottish? I don't think he was but then what's his actual gimmick

About once a week some iterance of "Rowdy Roddy Peeper" will randomly run through my head
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Mon Nov 27, 2023 8:52 am

As I recall, Scottishness was never his schtick (I may be mistaken). I think the getup was just due to the fact that his name was “Piper.” His schtick, if there was one, was just a very good example of what seems like was everyone’s schtick back in those days, which was to be a (probably coked out?) loud maniac, just shouting about how awesome he was and how much he was gonna stop opponent x at event y.

An aside, I think it was a baffling yet ultimately correct choice to have Andy Samberg wear a Hulkamania t shirt during the scene where he’s hitting shit really hard with a hammer to prove to the cute redhead that he is a real man, even though there was already an iconic WWF t shirt from the same era that was custom made for him. But brand recognition means a lot and I think much of the audience would’ve missed the referential aspect of him wearing a “Hot Rod” t shirt and misinterpreted the joke as a result, which is also funny but not as funny.
    damo suzuki
    damo suzuki
    Still has http://lotsofpeopleposting.teensboards.com bookmarked

Pizzas : 61

Post by damo suzuki Mon Nov 27, 2023 3:44 pm

Piper wore a kilt because he was Scottish and was played to the ring with bagpipes. This was to get heat, naturally.
    techno raj
    techno raj
    Tub of Lemon Chobani

Pizzas : 228

Post by techno raj Sun Jan 28, 2024 2:07 pm

https://www.otherstrangeness.com/2024/01/04/101-street-fighting-secrets/

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:04 pm