techno raj
reuben
zappo
yancy
22 posters

it's getting warm out so let's eat some fucking tacos

yancy
    yancy
    equal parts Skrillex, T. Rex, Ed Kowalczyk, Joe Dumars, Outkast, and Kate Bush

Pizzas : 342

it's getting warm out so let's eat some fucking tacos - Page 4 Empty Re: it's getting warm out so let's eat some fucking tacos

Post by yancy Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:53 pm

This thread's resurgence inspired me to get some tacos today while waiting for a collision repair estimate, but after walking there I was more in a carne asada torta mood. Huge slices of avocado on that sucker.

x-post to it's getting cold out so let's eat some fucking tortas
    Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Pizzas : 978

it's getting warm out so let's eat some fucking tacos - Page 4 Empty Re: it's getting warm out so let's eat some fucking tacos

Post by Nick Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:22 pm

phixed wrote:those tortas at o'hare are so much better than anything else there though.

That is what sucks though. I can only eat them when I know I can expense the meal. I don't even have to walk outside to access his location in the Chase building but to blow $15 on a torta plus chips with guacamole is some bullshit.
    techno raj
    techno raj
    Tub of Lemon Chobani

Pizzas : 228

Post by techno raj Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:57 pm

ClosetOfExhaustion wrote:he's gonna open another XOCO in wicker park
    Haha, really? I guess WP still hasn't achieved total white people taco saturation.

I don't eat a lot of XOCO tortas but the Friday shrimp ones are worth $13 IMO.

phixed wrote:those tortas at o'hare are so much better than anything else there though.

accurate statement
    quip
    quip
    Jasper's Yurt of Enlightened Conversation

Pizzas : 74

Post by quip Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:29 pm

Nick wrote:I can only eat them when I know I can expense the meal.
    True statement.
    yancy
    yancy
    equal parts Skrillex, T. Rex, Ed Kowalczyk, Joe Dumars, Outkast, and Kate Bush

Post by yancy Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:53 pm

I'm always stunned at O'hare because there's never a long line and always an open seat at Frontera. What the fuck is everyone else eating?
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Post by chrondog Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:52 pm

a soft flour tortilla might be passable and even delicious, but i have to side with those who think it doesn't constitute a true soft taco. corn only, bros.

let's be real though, true Mexicans are eating tostadas and flautas and not Tex-Mexing it up with big globs of "sour cream".

Michael K. wrote:The La Burrita next to Top Dog? Was so conveniently close to my place, but I despised the food so I rarely went there. Never got tacos though.
    interesting place to "despise" though i've definitely thrown some unfavorable words their way. it's open late! and on the tacos rancheros they stack two corn tortillas per taco (an elite move).
    ClosetOfExhaustion
    ClosetOfExhaustion
    Have You Heard?

Pizzas : 275
    Dispositiondisposed

Post by ClosetOfExhaustion Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:16 am

yancy wrote:I'm always stunned at O'hare because there's never a long line and always an open seat at Frontera. What the fuck is everyone else eating?
    having had this same discussion with other people, i assume the reasons the lines aren't longer are, in order:
    price points
    slightly moderate wait for food
    lack of familiarity with menu items

the price is probably the main cause for those people not able to expense it.
    Michael K.
    Michael K.
    Fascist Groove Shark

Pizzas : 161
    Dispositionpickled

Post by Michael K. Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:52 am

jasperness wrote:a soft flour tortilla might be passable and even delicious, but i have to side with those who think it doesn't constitute a true soft taco. corn only, bros.

let's be real though, true Mexicans are eating tostadas and flautas and not Tex-Mexing it up with big globs of "sour cream".

Michael K. wrote:The La Burrita next to Top Dog? Was so conveniently close to my place, but I despised the food so I rarely went there. Never got tacos though.
    interesting place to "despise" though i've definitely thrown some unfavorable words their way. it's open late! and on the tacos rancheros they stack two corn tortillas per taco (an elite move).
    It's a major offense for Mexican food to be so bland. So much spice and texture available in the larder and you give me large, amorphous globs of insipid starch & protein? No thanks. Never understood why anyone would skip Top Dog in favor of.
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Post by chrondog Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:02 pm

Michael K. wrote:It's a major offense for Mexican food to be so bland. So much spice and texture available in the larder and you give me large, amorphous globs of insipid starch & protein? No thanks. Never understood why anyone would skip Top Dog in favor of.
    eh, it happens a lot. but i am actually having a bit of an internal debate on where i stand on the spectrum of bland/yuppie/Chipotle vs. lardy/greasy/authentic Mexican food. a lot of times i just like having the ingredients presented to me in a wrapping and don't want to take a chance on whatever weird shit happens in the kitchen of some places. and a place like La Burrita has their own salsas they make in-house that i use to propel the flavor. i feel the same way about Cactus Taqueria here. a lot of people pan a place like that as "yuppie" or "inauthentic", but i just think they use higher quality ingredients and don't take any risks with the seasoning to appeal to a wide demographic. as long as they have good salsas, i don't care that their meat isn't perfectly seasoned. i just can't do heavy and greasy burritos anymore.

i have hundreds of sausages from Top Dog and feel comfortable passing on them if the mood doesn't strike me.
    Michael K.
    Michael K.
    Fascist Groove Shark

Dispositionpickled

Post by Michael K. Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:51 am

jasperness wrote:
    Michael K. wrote:It's a major offense for Mexican food to be so bland. So much spice and texture available in the larder and you give me large, amorphous globs of insipid starch & protein? No thanks. Never understood why anyone would skip Top Dog in favor of.
    eh, it happens a lot. but i am actually having a bit of an internal debate on where i stand on the spectrum of bland/yuppie/Chipotle vs. lardy/greasy/authentic Mexican food. a lot of times i just like having the ingredients presented to me in a wrapping and don't want to take a chance on whatever weird shit happens in the kitchen of some places. and a place like La Burrita has their own salsas they make in-house that i use to propel the flavor. i feel the same way about Cactus Taqueria here. a lot of people pan a place like that as "yuppie" or "inauthentic", but i just think they use higher quality ingredients and don't take any risks with the seasoning to appeal to a wide demographic. as long as they have good salsas, i don't care that their meat isn't perfectly seasoned. i just can't do heavy and greasy burritos anymore.

i have hundreds of sausages from Top Dog and feel comfortable passing on them if the mood doesn't strike me.
    I get your logic here, but La Burrita isn't Chipotle. It's a greasy Mexican joint that also happens to have bland food. It feels dirty and it's tasteless. That is, the perfect taqueria to succeed in a college town.
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Post by chrondog Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:53 am

the rancheros plate is $4.50 for three double-layer corn soft tacos and a bag of chips and i'm sticking by that
    Michael K.
    Michael K.
    Fascist Groove Shark

Dispositionpickled

Post by Michael K. Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:59 am

And that is plenty of reason right there.
    quip
    quip
    Jasper's Yurt of Enlightened Conversation

Pizzas : 74

Post by quip Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:57 pm

jasperness wrote:lardy/greasy/authentic Mexican fast food.
    ftfy
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Post by chrondog Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:05 pm

almost everything i eat is take out so i guess i exclusively operate in the "fast food" realm
    Gene Bootcut
    Gene Bootcut
    A fanatic of the sketch genre

Pizzas : 441

Post by Gene Bootcut Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:16 pm

That's been me for like three months now. I've somehow become skinnier but my bowels are a battlefield and sometimes life is physically painful.
    Gene Bootcut
    Gene Bootcut
    A fanatic of the sketch genre

Pizzas : 441

Post by Gene Bootcut Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:18 pm

Good eating, good living.
    C-poots
    C-poots
    Shiek

Pizzas : 201

Post by C-poots Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:10 pm

Guys,

Just finished one fish, one churizo, one carnitas, and one asada.

Feeling pretty great right now
    reuben
    reuben
    President Bannon

Pizzas : 710

Post by reuben Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:12 pm

F L A V O R T O W N

flavortown
    Michael K.
    Michael K.
    Fascist Groove Shark

Dispositionpickled

Post by Michael K. Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:37 pm

Currently in Maui. Made some bombass ono tacos last night.
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

Pizzas : 993
    DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:27 pm

Been in Fort Walton beach Florida for the past 17 days doing work stuff. Going back to virginia today and flying outta Pensacola. Lived here back in the day for about 2.5 years and remembered this place near the airport:

it's getting warm out so let's eat some fucking tacos - Page 4 82F0736C-084C-428C-98B5-35476F3DFA68_zpsgaa8w55h

Been super psyched for days now thinking about these authentic tacos.
    it's getting warm out so let's eat some fucking tacos - Page 4 12797493-50A6-4F7E-970E-6511892384CB_zpsvhprbhpg
    1 al pastor
    1 asada
    1 chorizo
    Rice and beans side plate
    3 tamales to go for the road
    Rock & Roll

it's getting warm out so let's eat some fucking tacos - Page 4 F32F448E-2156-4DB1-A37C-5E87FD42322A_zpshim0u09a
    it's getting warm out so let's eat some fucking tacos - Page 4 312D5F34-5CDD-497B-B4D7-134F996E9E63_zps3i32aucp
    undo
    undo
    Internet's Busiest Music Nerd

Pizzas : 1138

Post by undo Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:50 am

it's getting warm out so let's eat some fucking tacos - Page 4 QeoNLVH
    techno raj
    techno raj
    Tub of Lemon Chobani

Post by techno raj Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:05 pm

Mexico City taco hounding:

it's getting warm out so let's eat some fucking tacos - Page 4 20140117_180827_zps052e2023
    al pastor with sauces from El Huequito

it's getting warm out so let's eat some fucking tacos - Page 4 20140116_192643_zpsca0ccd93
    salt cod from Salon Corona

it's getting warm out so let's eat some fucking tacos - Page 4 20140115_184256_zps935799c0
    al pastor from El Tizoncito

it's getting warm out so let's eat some fucking tacos - Page 4 20140115_170740_zpsee8e5091
    nopales/acelga from Tacos Hola
    reuben
    reuben
    President Bannon

Pizzas : 710

Post by reuben Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:09 pm

I love Taco Tuesday.
    Michael K.
    Michael K.
    Fascist Groove Shark

Dispositionpickled

Post by Michael K. Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:27 pm

Some real ass tacos, raj.
    techno raj
    techno raj
    Tub of Lemon Chobani

Post by techno raj Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:53 pm

Technically not a taco but this was maybe the best thing I ate

it's getting warm out so let's eat some fucking tacos - Page 4 20140116_125550_zps75a535da

it's getting warm out so let's eat some fucking tacos - Page 4 20140116_130209_zps25509b9f

Fried squash flower quesadilla

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:33 pm