18 posters

this is a basketball thread

undo
    undo
    Internet's Busiest Music Nerd

Pizzas : 1143

this is a basketball thread - Page 38 Empty Re: this is a basketball thread

Post by undo Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:02 pm

BGwaves wrote:Don’t know if you guys have watched any Summer League games but the way they are turning Tacko Falls actual name into a running taco gag is why the world hates America. It was darkly funny when an announcer asked how he was named and he says, “I’m named after a family friend who was killed.” The announcer looked like they wanted to do another long running taco gag, run south of the border!

You posted this three months ago and it somehow seems to be getting worse.

https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/ddfjum/kanter_hello_everyone_dictatorerdogan_rterdogan/

undo
    undo

Post by undo Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:09 pm

hope you enjoyed the NBA's run as the socially conscious sports league, it's over
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:20 pm

zappo wrote:Who cares?  I'm poor and without cable and I just found out that, starting next year, WGN ain't broadcasting no more Bulls, Hawks, or Sox games.  Unless they're playing on ABC, NBC, or FOX, I'm out.  This is fucking stupid.

I'd forgotten all about this and finding out again this week has been a major bummer.

I don't want cable, I don't want to pay Comcast or AT&T to watch television, sports are supposed to be free, etc.

Some of this just comes down to getting old, like I want paper tickets to a game. Oh, okay, well fine I'll just print them out at home then. But no, you can't do that anymore, it has to be on your phone, that's fine I can do that too. See, I can change with the times!

Wait, no it can't just be "on your phone," but you have to download the tickets to Google Pay for them to show up and produce a scannable barcode? Like, at the very least I just don't want to give anymore of my information to Google than I already have (my entire life story, personally identifiable details, my deepest and darkest secrets) just to go watch a game but what are you going to do?
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:42 pm

This is the coolest fucking team, no more bullshit except for Felicio's contract (which I thought was expiring at the end of this season but might go on for another year or two beyond that), I am excited and hopeful for the future.
    zappo
    zappo
    Supermasculine Menial

Pizzas : 870

Post by zappo Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:05 pm

undo wrote:
    zappo wrote:Who cares?  I'm poor and without cable and I just found out that, starting next year, WGN ain't broadcasting no more Bulls, Hawks, or Sox games.  Unless they're playing on ABC, NBC, or FOX, I'm out.  This is fucking stupid.

I'd forgotten all about this and finding out again this week has been a major bummer.

I don't want cable, I don't want to pay Comcast or AT&T to watch television, sports are supposed to be free, etc.

Some of this just comes down to getting old, like I want paper tickets to a game. Oh, okay, well fine I'll just print them out at home then. But no, you can't do that anymore, it has to be on your phone, that's fine I can do that too. See, I can change with the times!

Wait, no it can't just be "on your phone," but you have to download the tickets to Google Pay for them to show up and produce a scannable barcode? Like, at the very least I just don't want to give anymore of my information to Google than I already have (my entire life story, personally identifiable details, my deepest and darkest secrets) just to go watch a game but what are you going to do?

I can't go to games or some concerts anymore, either, as I don't own a smartphone.
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:27 pm

zappo wrote:
    undo wrote:

I can't go to games or some concerts anymore, either, as I don't own a smartphone.

https://www.nba.com/bulls/tickets/mobile-ticketing

WHAT IF I DON'T HAVE A SMARTPHONE OR I HAVE ADDITIONAL QUESTIONS ABOUT MOBILE TICKETING AT THIS TIME?

If you do not have a smartphone, please contact Chicago Bulls ticket office at 312.455.4000 for assistance.
    BGwaves
    BGwaves
    basically just a wordier, shittier sausage blurb

Pizzas : 283
    DispositionBLACK..... coffee in bed

Post by BGwaves Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:46 am

Bulls tonight bros!!!

Last night was awesome, Raptors still in championship form. The Pelicans look decent without Zion. Lonzo Ball is a pretty good floor general. His shooting still looks shitty but at least he excels in other depts. Kawhi dawgs, MJ of this generation. Qing James didn’t look too good, lotta sloppy turnovers at the end. I know it’s the first game but that was some sloppy shit. I’m just excited that the best sport is back full time.
    zappo
    zappo
    Supermasculine Menial

Post by zappo Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:12 pm

undo wrote:https://www.nba.com/bulls/tickets/mobile-ticketing

WHAT IF I DON'T HAVE A SMARTPHONE OR I HAVE ADDITIONAL QUESTIONS ABOUT MOBILE TICKETING AT THIS TIME?

If you do not have a smartphone, please contact Chicago Bulls ticket office at 312.455.4000 for assistance.

Somehow, this is not always an option.
    WP64
    WP64
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Pizzas : 67
    DispositionIntransigent

Post by WP64 Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:36 pm

Are Bulls fans optimistic about this team? And is it right for them to feel optimistic? I get that their offseason moves were finally competent for once (Satoransky and Young especially) and they have established what looks like a promising young core of talent. But isn't their coach garbage? The organization is still a nepotistic piece of shit, right? Nothing has actually fundamentally changed about the franchise itself. And besides, what is the realistic ceiling of LaVine, Lauri, Carter Jr., and White? Probably a consistent second-round exit from the playoffs unless they can actually attract big time free agents, which they have literally never ever done because everyone in the league knows that it's a garbage organization that sucks to play for.

The Bulls are going to be trash as long as Reinsdorf is the owner. Glad basketball is back tho!
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:03 pm

I remain optimistic.

Find out why Tonight when I have time to write a real post!
    WP64
    WP64
    Mystery Thread Deleter

DispositionIntransigent

Post by WP64 Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:00 pm

I just read Ricky O'Donnell's preview for the Bulls and it was pretty persuasive.

O'Donnell wrote:The Bulls are going to be fun this season. They might even be crash the playoff picture. Whether this is the first step in a climb up the NBA hierarchy or ultimately another stalled reboot is contingent on the Bulls proving they’ve changed for the better, forever.

I think that's a pretty good summation of how Bulls fans probably should be feeling right, which is just to say very cautiously optimistic. I look forward to the post, Undo.
    BGwaves
    BGwaves

Post by BGwaves Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:46 pm

Free league pass this week too, enjoy while it lasts!
    BGwaves
    BGwaves

Post by BGwaves Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:13 pm

WP, you believe in your politics. You wouldn’t let the fact that the current political climate in this country doesn’t reflect your ideals stop you from wanting to be a part of and hope/work for a brighter future, right?

It’s kinda like that with the Bulls. Obviously different situations but I hope you get my point.

Also, sports is a media machine. I love when a team goes unnoticed and then makes a run. Similarly when a ‘hot’ team goes cold. Both situations fuck up the ‘televised game’ landscape. All of a sudden people want the team that’s winning but ESPN scheduled the underperforming team 6 months ago.
    zappo
    zappo
    Supermasculine Menial

Post by zappo Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:09 am

I really hope the Bulls have a game on ABC, this year. I enjoy watching them play basketball, and they're obviously winning the title.
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:16 am

I went to the preseason game against New Orleans two weeks ago.

Terrific ball movement, unselfish play, lots of driving to the basket, finding quality shots with plenty of time still left on the shot clock, they shot threes at a rate that you'd expect for a modern NBA team and I don't recall any of them looking like forced attempts.

No more walking the ball up the court, two passes, holding the ball while everyone stands around and the shot clock clicks down to four seconds and someone is forced to take a bad shot. They played with a joy and a fluid feeling that I hadn't seen from them in several years.

Zach Lavine is a complete offensive player, he did what you'd expect in driving to the rim but he also shot a VERY high percentage from distance. Otto Porter was like three assists and three rebounds from a triple double. Coby White played with poise and ridiculous speed, I didn't know if he could hit threes but he was not afraid to try and he probably made like half of them. Lauri Markkanen didn't exactly dominate that night but other players were there to pick up the slack when he was not making shots and he eventually found a little rhythm before being pulled from the game in the fourth quarter. Promising contributions from Thaddeus Young and Luke Kornet, too.

Finally parting ways with like four or five players that were inconsistent at best and dead weight at their absolute worst through most of the last two seasons was such a blessing. I know I haven't seen enough of all the new players to really judge them but the new additions just feel like all the right moves they needed to make, there's no egos here to placate anymore, everyone just played like they were on the same page and it just felt like a totally new experience.

Wendell Carter Jr was injured and did not play and it feels like ages since I've seen him on the court so I don't know what to expect from him but I'm excited to see more. I would love to see him play a full season and get a good idea of what he can bring to this team, especially defensively (which is still the side of this team I don't feel like I have a real handle on at all).

Jim Boylen might be a good coach, I know this will sound like I'm just making excuses for him but last year wasn't his fault, he was thrown into a shitty situation and even just trying to make the best of it was never going to be anything more than learning what issues would really need to be addressed for this season. I have no "basketball IQ" so I can't really judge or understand what he's doing in terms of watching what plays out on the court and tracing it back to him, but I've listened to lots of interviews with him and I think some of the shit that went down last year really gave everyone the wrong idea about how he cares about players or what philosophies he brings to coaching.

Felicio needs to play as little as possible, I have no idea what to do with Denzel Valentine, not saying every player on this team has worked out just as planned but I think there's a Solid ten player rotation here that, if it can stay healthy, feels like the ideal post-Thibs/Rose/Jimmy young team that everyone was waiting to take shape.
    WP64
    WP64
    Mystery Thread Deleter

DispositionIntransigent

Post by WP64 Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:34 pm

The Hornets made 44 3-pointers last night (shooting 51% from behind the arc). On 39 of those attempts, the closest Bulls defender was more than 4+ feel away from the shooter and on 20 of the attempts the defender was more than 6 feet away, which the NBA statisticians define as being "wide open." I was only able to watch extended highlights of the game (I don't understand how so many Europeans are obsessed with the NBA when the time zones prevent them from basically ever watching any live action) and the defense was atrocious. That said, they probably should have won that game. The Wendell highlights were great. Lauri getting to the basket was a good sign. Overall, the offense looked pretty good actually...

And that's a great post, Undo. Y'all have convinced me. I am hopping on the bandwagon.
    WP64
    WP64
    Mystery Thread Deleter

DispositionIntransigent

Post by WP64 Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:36 pm

BGwaves wrote:WP, you believe in your politics. You wouldn’t let the fact that the current political climate in this country doesn’t reflect your ideals stop you from wanting to be a part of and hope/work for a brighter future, right?
    The difference is that I get to participate and influence the political process. That's my biggest complaint about professional sports, actually. They should be socialized and the athletes and fans should have complete control over the entertainment product so that we aren't all held hostage to the nepotism, incompetence, and greed of the Reinsdorf family!
    Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Pizzas : 978

Post by Nick Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:03 pm

One of my favorite things about the NBA season are the 9:30 CST tip offs. Plenty of nights where I can’t fall asleep and just feel like zoning out and now have Western Conference games to watch again.
    BGwaves
    BGwaves

Post by BGwaves Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:18 am

It’s only been two games but I’m very happy with Coby White. I know they only played against the hornets and grizzlies, two teams that will be at the bottom of their respective conferences, but they still looked really great. Zack and Coby. Lauri has to find that spark from his first season, he isn’t playing terrible but he doesn’t look great right now.
    WP64
    WP64
    Mystery Thread Deleter

DispositionIntransigent

Post by WP64 Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:57 am

The Coby White buzz is cool. I watched a little bit of the first half yesterday where they looked really disjointed. The amount of Italian-language NBA content is going to end up keeping me really engaged with the league because it's one of the best ways for me to practice my language. Forza i Bulls!
    zappo
    zappo
    Supermasculine Menial

Post by zappo Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:38 am

Damn, B. Thibs finally came for Curry.
    BGwaves
    BGwaves

Post by BGwaves Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:27 am

Chrono, where you at dawg!?
    BGwaves
    BGwaves

Post by BGwaves Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:30 am

The Bulls need to pull themselves together. What is with all the 3s? Guys if they ain’t hittin they ain’t hittin drive to the basket and get some points. Last night and against the Knicks were disgusting loses. Two teams that are essentially worse than you on paper and you can’t put em to bed? It’s as if the other team just needs a little momentum and the Bulls just clam up and let them take it.
    WP64
    WP64
    Mystery Thread Deleter

DispositionIntransigent

Post by WP64 Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:44 pm

The Bulls are horrible.
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:34 pm

WP64 wrote:And that's a great post, Undo. Y'all have convinced me. I am hopping on the bandwagon.

It was a terrible post

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 10, 2024 8:02 am