chrondog
reuben
Ned Braden
15 posters

[solved]Hockey Talk

Poll

Who wins the Cup?

[ 5 ]
    [solved]Hockey Talk - Page 16 Bar_left83%[solved]Hockey Talk - Page 16 Bar_right [83%] 
    [ 1 ]
    [solved]Hockey Talk - Page 16 Bar_left17%[solved]Hockey Talk - Page 16 Bar_right [17%] 

Total Votes: 6
    Poll closed
    reuben
    reuben
    President Bannon

Pizzas : 710

[solved]Hockey Talk - Page 16 Empty Re: [solved]Hockey Talk

Post by reuben Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:40 pm

[solved]Hockey Talk - Page 16 Emery
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:18 pm

Everything about that sucked. The soundtrack coming from Tampa Bay's stadium, coupled with another loss, and further exasperated by a frustrated Chris Neil starting a fight.

What the hell is going on? Why so many penalties tonight? Isn't all of this happening with Anderson in net too? A sixth place finish wouldn't be awful but both of the New York teams are now on their heels.
    reuben
    reuben
    President Bannon

Post by reuben Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:31 pm

Frustrating that Tampa scored on a powerplays after a phantom face off misconduct call and a dive by Stamkos.

Karlsson could be back in 3-4 weeks now. It would be nice to make the playoffs.
    reuben
    reuben
    President Bannon

Post by reuben Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:23 pm

Go Leafs!
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:53 pm

That shorthanded goal really hurt the Sens. The Islanders also score late in the first in Boston. Islanders end the season with 5 straight away games so you have to think the Senators have the advantage in schedule.
    reuben
    reuben
    President Bannon

Post by reuben Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:02 pm

All they need is 10 more points I'm not gonna panic yet. The effort has been there. But the schedule won't get any easier after this game.
    reuben
    reuben
    President Bannon

Post by reuben Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:04 pm

I'm calling it 4-1 Sens with goals from Conacher, Turris and Pageau.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:06 pm

Almost just had a Chris Neil goal instead. Bummer of a save.
    reuben
    reuben
    President Bannon

Post by reuben Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:32 pm

So close
    [solved]Hockey Talk - Page 16 Nogoal-flyers
    reuben
    reuben
    President Bannon

Post by reuben Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:38 pm

MacLean needs to put Zibanejad's line in the powerplay.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:47 pm

I know this territory is staunchly anti-Hab. But put this current team in a vacuum that ignores their most likely nauseating fanbase and egregious tradition, and this team is just fun to watch. They are taking it to Buffalo right now and Gallagher just took Miller to school. I am still rooting for them to beat out the Bruins for the division. I don't know.
    reuben
    reuben
    President Bannon

Post by reuben Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:55 pm

I don't really mind the Habs I was just giving you a hard time because I get sick every time their fans take over Scotiabank Place.
    reuben
    reuben
    President Bannon

Post by reuben Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:56 pm

I guess "nauseating fan base and egregious tradition" pretty much nails it.
    reuben
    reuben
    President Bannon

Post by reuben Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:58 pm

But it's still weird to back two original six teams. Don't ask me why--I think the original six concept is pretty dumb and hate all of them but the Blackhawks.
    reuben
    reuben
    President Bannon

Post by reuben Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:12 pm

It's entertaining to watch this guy play hockey, no matter how well he's playing.[solved]Hockey Talk - Page 16 2013-01-28-p_k_-subban-16_9
    reuben
    reuben
    President Bannon

Post by reuben Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:38 pm

Thank god Sens can beat the worst team in the Eastern Conference.
    Duff...
    Duff...
    Current Bass Player of UFO

Pizzas : 812
    DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:56 pm

reuben wrote:
    [solved]Hockey Talk - Page 16 Image

I love you I love you I love you
    reuben
    reuben
    President Bannon

Post by reuben Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:15 pm

otm, Duff. otm.

Ned Braden wrote:I'd definitely watch a hockey themed installation in this film franchise, that's for damn sure. Like, get Estevez and Kurt Russell to play the coaches of Rivendell and Gondor respectively and they could have this big rivalry, but after Russell's men get knocked out of the tourney by Isenguard he can help Emilio crack Sauraman's strategy and beat the Orcs.

I really don't think Hobbits can excel in these types of sports against large middle earth beings. Like, even the most physically stacked Tooks from throughout the ages on a hobbit dream team would still be dwarved (lol) by any other team they'd run up again.
    [solved]Hockey Talk - Page 16 Gandalfie_zpsb1a179cc

imlikewhoa
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

Pizzas : 997
    DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:56 pm

Hahaha. Good thread.
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:51 pm

Enjoying everything about this video, especially the announcers' reaction.

Last edited by zappo on Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:31 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : fixed embed)
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:10 pm

reuben wrote:otm, Duff. otm.

Ned Braden wrote:I'd definitely watch a hockey themed installation in this film franchise, that's for damn sure. Like, get Estevez and Kurt Russell to play the coaches of Rivendell and Gondor respectively and they could have this big rivalry, but after Russell's men get knocked out of the tourney by Isenguard he can help Emilio crack Sauraman's strategy and beat the Orcs.

I really don't think Hobbits can excel in these types of sports against large middle earth beings. Like, even the most physically stacked Tooks from throughout the ages on a hobbit dream team would still be dwarved (lol) by any other team they'd run up again.
    [solved]Hockey Talk - Page 16 Gandalfie_zpsb1a179cc

[solved]Hockey Talk - Page 16 ScreenShot2013-04-13at000355_zps48d9f4c6

reuben wrote: imlikewhoa
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:13 pm

i swear people must have been evesdropping on this internet megathread...

Committed Indian wrote:
    And so brings to a close the Third Age of Middle-Earth, as tonight will mark the last game between the Hawks and Scum wherein they will be divisional opponents. And, as usual, the stakes are high.

Coming into tonight, the Orcs of Mordor find themselves clinging to the 8th seed among the Men of The West, holding a two point lead over the Warg pack in Phoenix. Additionally, Scum are the only team currently in the current playoff picture underwater in goal differential, sitting at a -3 while being 14th in the league in goals-against at 2.5. This was apparently enough for the Lidless Eye of Ken Holland to give goalie Jimmy Howard a six year extension at $5.3 mildo per. This is, along with Howard’s stat line of 2.39GAA with a 9.18 save percentage, is tacit admission by Holland of his inability to shore up a blue line that has been absolutely lost without Nicklas Lidstrom, who even his advanced age would still manage to ensnare any trespassers through the Morgul Vail.

It’s left Witch King Mike Babcock with an unsightly and malformed group of goblins on his blue line allowing far more shots against than they’re used to at 28.6 per game, which while not an unholy number, is still far greater than Scum units have in years past. Newcomer Dan DeKeyser so far is -1 with no points in three games after the “derby” to sign him predictably ended with him at the foot of Mt. Doom. The leaping Nicklas Krownwall is currently a team worst -10, tied with rookie Brian Lashoff. With incredulous healthy scratch Ian White, plodding Jonathan Ericsson, and the surprisingly productive but still defensively confused Jakub Kindl rounding out the unit, more than ever this unit can be beaten with speed wide, as the Hawks emphatically showed two Sundays ago.

Along the front lines of the army of orcs, Pavel Datsyuk and Henrik Zetterberg still pace the group, going 1-2 in scoring on the team at 39 and 38 points respectively. Zetterberg didn’t play in the last scorching which Scum fans will say makes a difference, but Z hasn’t been the powerhouse he has been in the past either, carrying a -4, and only shooting 6.1%, and is running out of time to create a market correction for himself.

Compounding all of these issues are the normally well-regimented special teams also middling this year, with the power play only converting 18.2% of chances, with the PK 21st in the league at 79.9%. Ordinarily the difference in opportunities created on the advantage against the times shorthanded would mitigate these numbers for Scum, but that gap has closed considerably this year with 154 power play opportunities versus 139 PK attempts, and their record shows it. It’s all combined to put the soon-to-be dark forces of the East perilously close to their season not extending past the end of the month.

As for our Men of Four Feathers, tonight poses an opportunity for Corey Crawford to once again get back in the good graces of Lord Denethor. While Crawford’s numbers this season have been sterling mostly as a result of a positionally sound defense in front of him, a few iffy if-not-even-really-costly goals against in his previous starts against the Preds and Blues earned him a seat for the past three games. During those three games Ray Emery certainly laid his claim to the cage with two shutouts, albeit against a couple of squirtgun offenses in Nashville and Minnesota. Crawford will need to play a more stay at home, positionally sound game (despite the fact that no matter a goalie’s style, TV pundits always say being out on top of the crease is a good thing), and carry his glove a little higher if he’s going to shed the yips.

Up front for the Men of the West, look for Patrick Sharp to continue to take draws on his strong side (pulling the puck to his backhand) in place of Marcus Kruger after riding back into the fray with the Rohirrim after a protracted absence. However, as usual, a Hobbit will more than likely be relied upon to bail the unit out. With Dave Bolland still in the Houses of Healing, the lineup figures to be the same as against Minny, possibly with immaterial turds Bollig and Gorilla Salad swapping spots. Same goes for the blue line with Rozsival and Brookbank, with Rozie’s passing ability and Scum’s lack of an assaulting forecheck.

With a win tonight, the Hawks put themselves in a position to take back the Central, needing only a loss from Scum Jr. to the Jackets tonight, or to take a point in St. Louis Sunday to clinch. With that said, it’s fitting that to get to that point means going one final time through the Black Gate.

The board is set, the pieces are moving. We come to it at last, the great battle of our time. Let’s go Hawks.
    reuben
    reuben
    President Bannon

Post by reuben Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:08 pm

I wonder if Ranger has any idea that his "Middle Earth" hockey thread lives.
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:57 pm

Wasn't exactly disappointed when the Hawks got rid of this guy, but damn he is just the best at being what he is:
    reuben
    reuben
    President Bannon

Post by reuben Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:24 pm

Do you have any idea what happens with the rescheduled Senators/Bruins game? If they're only going to play it if Ottawa's playoff chances depend on it at the end of the season there is some potential for a really high stakes mang game.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 12:56 pm