tjenz
Ted Falconi
21 posters

The Donald J. Trump Presidency

zappo
    zappo
    Supermasculine Menial

Pizzas : 870

The Donald J. Trump Presidency - Page 32 Empty Re: The Donald J. Trump Presidency

Post by zappo Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:26 am

Maybe 55 years old. White as a motherfucker. Smelled of nicotene, beer, dogs, and racism.
    undo
    undo
    Internet's Busiest Music Nerd

Pizzas : 1143

The Donald J. Trump Presidency - Page 32 Empty Re: The Donald J. Trump Presidency

Post by undo Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:55 am

I saw some guy wearing a Trump flag like it was a cape.

He walked up to some high school dudes and they all started high fiving each other.

I've spent a lot of time thinking about what I'd do if I ever saw one of these people IRL. But it wasn't the time or place and he was just hanging out and it just made me feel like I don't even know.

It was a long hike from where I parked my car into the park and I was really hot and tired and thirsty and in a shitty mood because the music coming from the 80s/90s cover band, who played everything in a punk pop style and were like a half mile away, were just destroying my ears. Plus I was carrying lawn chairs and wearing a hot sweater because I thought I was going to need sleeves. Every year I go to this and I hate it, shocked by something about seeing all high schoolers all over the place who look like models barely wearing any clothes, everyone else dressed up in...I don't want to and shouldn't judge people for what they wear but something about this year's tacky patriotic clothes must have really gotten under my skin. Or maybe it was the feeling that people actually had drawers full of this stuff, I really don't know. A couple near us seemed our age but had three kids. One was about five and wouldn't stop tackling some other kid who was probably his younger brother. His younger brother didn't mind and laughed every time it happened. His parents kept telling him to stop but he just ignored them. They'd tell him again but not lift a finger to stop him. "Logan, leave Benson alone! Logan!" Right before my eyes, he was learning not to listen to them or to obey rules, and the giggles of the child he was tormenting were teaching him to forever associate aggression with pleasure and happiness. I was alone for about ten minutes of this and I just couldn't stop thinking, people as far as you can see and just look at them. It gave me a lot of time to think about how this was just life for everybody here and there's no fighting these instincts, these people are everywhere.

At this point I was barely aroused by the sight of an actual MAGA, this guy was really built and probably like 30 and short of writing his name in the death note there was nothing I could do about him that wouldn't kind of backfire in some way even if it worked. These kind of violent thoughts are nothing new but whatever.

I had a very subpar pulled pork sandwich by Smokin' Z BBQ, which at first I was really hoping was the almost identically-named Smokin' BBQ, from which I’d had a sandwich a week or so ago and was definitely right up there with the most enjoyable 5 minutes I've had over the last year. Don't go to their website, it looks like it's been hacked or something, but their sandwiches are delicious, and almost twice as expensive, but they must use better ingredients or have a better meat machine, so that I really think that money goes to a good cause. I drank a beer and had some fries. They changed the song they played during the grand finale of the fireworks show from that grand marching band classic that I can't think of the name of to some generic movie soundtrack epic score, which was lame. I kind of want to go back to seeing them without music again. Does every big show for a town try to to it set to a musical medley now, or are there still any where you can just sit back and listen to them and whatever cheers come from your neighbors?

It feels so weird seeing so many people my age with kids, I could never do it but I feel like I've closed the door on one of the only things people go on living for and that's just a lot to think about sometimes.

I looked around and just felt sick
    zappo
    zappo
    Supermasculine Menial

Post by zappo Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:54 pm

For what it's worth, I have never been to a fireworks display featuring music.
    zappo
    zappo
    Supermasculine Menial

Post by zappo Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:21 pm

The Donald J. Trump Presidency - Page 32 Web_scott-pruitt-header_1481215132_Content_Consumption_Large
    Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Pizzas : 978

Post by Nick Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:23 am

We didn’t watch fireworks this year & I explained to my kids that is wasn’t right to celebrate America when so many unjust things are happening to little boys & girls their age.

Our parents accused us of depriving them of a youth rite of passage but I think we’re on the right side of history.
    zappo
    zappo
    Supermasculine Menial

Post by zappo Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:05 am

It comforts me to know that there are good parents (like you, yes) out and about in this country, Nick.
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:33 pm

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/08/health/world-health-breastfeeding-ecuador-trump.html

WP64
    WP64
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Pizzas : 67
    DispositionIntransigent

Post by WP64 Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:33 pm

Nick wrote:We didn’t watch fireworks this year & I explained to my kids that is wasn’t right to celebrate America when so many unjust things are happening to little boys & girls their age.

Our parents accused us of depriving them of a youth rite of passage but I think we’re on the right side of history.
    This is the most precious post in LoPP history. Thank for you sharing this, Nick.
    WP64
    WP64
    Mystery Thread Deleter

DispositionIntransigent

Post by WP64 Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:44 pm

I have a fun story to compliment both Zappo's and Undo's.

My parents and sister went to a distant cousin's high school graduation yesterday and they shared this story with me. Apparently, my Mom's cousin's husbands parents (I realize how confusing that sounds) grew up in rural Iowa. They have three kids (one adopted) and the first one was born with down syndrome and other medical ailments, which led the doctors to initially predict she only had seven years to live. She just turned fifty-seven and is, apparently, as healthy as someone given her horrible circumstances could expected to be in. The parents have obviously cared for this daughter for their entire lives.

My aunt was talking to the mother and the topic of Hillary Clinton came up. The mother started talking about how much she hated her and how she knew that she murdered people in the past and that she would do it again in the future. Then, she started explaining how nervous she was in 2016, when it seemed like she would become the President-elect. She explained that every other week she would go to the bank and withdraw $2,000 in cash. Eventually, she had as much as $30,000 in her house. By October, they had started to move most of their belongings into an RV and were preparing to make their way to the US-Mexican border on November 8th, if necessary.

The explanation she gave as to why she was doing all of this was because Hillary Clinton was going to come for her daughter and take her away from her parents, because "that is what people like her, the Democrats, do."

Last edited by WP64 on Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
    WP64
    WP64
    Mystery Thread Deleter

DispositionIntransigent

Post by WP64 Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:49 pm

I just finished reading American Pastoral and that is probably shaping my perspective on these kinds of stories, but honestly, you've got to appreciate the absolute absurdity of this bullshit sometimes. I often really do feel like an assimilated American Jew out here lost in the Middle Western United States. I definitely am probably coded that way by a lot of people who encounter me walking about. And I do cherish the liberal fantasy that I can manufacture for myself, which is full of books, music, movies, the stench of cosmopolitanism, ideas, etc. It's honestly so fucking jarring be this person living in the social situation/atmosphere that I find myself in. Undo, I am sure you can relate to that probably even better than I can (north Naperville and a lot of the 'burbs are mostly filled with well-intentioned liberal people, which is great).

I also really wonder if coastal people like Chrono can ever relate to any of this shit. Chrono has stated that even his proximity to xenophobia and the batshit cultural politics of non-urban Originates can really unnerve him. Now try to imagine that just being normative. It's absolutely insane.
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:57 pm

This is over a week old now, but doesn't this basically call out police for being incompetent cowards who can't/won't touch this gang?
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:08 pm

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/trump-pardons-oregon-cattle-ranchers-center-bundy-standoff/story?id=56487437

President Trump pardoned two Oregon cattle ranchers on Tuesday whose sentencing sparked a standoff led by states' rights activist Ammon Bundy in 2016.

In 2012, Dwight Hammond and his son Steven Hammond were convicted of committing arson on federal land on two separate occasions. When first convicted, Dwight Hammond was sentenced to serve three months and Steven Hammond a year and a day - far less than the five-year mandatory minimum.

Three years later, prosecutors were granted an appeal which increased the Hammonds time behind bars to that a minimum of five years.

“At the Hammonds’ original sentencing, the judge noted that they are respected in the community and that imposing the mandatory minimum, 5-year prison sentence would “shock the conscience” and be “grossly disproportionate to the severity” of their conduct,” White Press Secretary Sarah Sanders wrote in a statement.

In 2016, as a result of their sentencing, Ammon Bundy gathered supporters and took over the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge in southeastern Oregon. Federal authorities were faced with a 41-day armed standoff which resulted in one fatality. Bundy, who along with others, was acquitted of any charges, saidhe believed the pair of ranchers were victims of federal overreach.

In 2014, Ammon Bundy and his father Cliven Bundy, a Nevada rancher, were involved in an armed standoff with federal agents trying to confiscate the father's cattle for his refusing to pay fees for grazing on public land. Charges were dismissed.

Sanders also took a jab at the Obama administration calling the government's appeal of the Hammonds' original sentences “overzealous” and “unjust.”

"The Hammonds are devoted family men, respected contributors to their local community, and have widespread support from their neighbors, local law enforcement, and farmers and ranchers across the West,” Sanders wrote. “Justice is overdue for Dwight and Steven Hammond, both of whom are entirely deserving of these Grants of Executive Clemency.”

The Hammond pardons have garnered attention from conservation groups calling Trump’s action “dangerous.”

“Pardoning the Hammonds sends a dangerous message to America’s park rangers, wildland firefighters, law enforcement officers, and public lands managers,” Center for Western Priorities said in a statement. “President Trump, at the urging of Interior Secretary Ryan Zinke, has once again sided with lawless extremists who believe that public land does not belong to all Americans.”

These are the sixth and seventh pardons President Trump has issued.

Where do I even begin with this?

Most of what I know about them has to do with the takeover of the National Wildlife Refuge in Oregon, but this has nothing to do with that?

He's got their backs because...they took on the FBI?
    Duff...
    Duff...
    Current Bass Player of UFO

Pizzas : 810
    DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:40 pm

Because they're Fox News heroes.
    Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Post by Nick Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:58 pm

Not typically one for conspiracy theories but from what I’ve seen of the Trump/Putin press conference I think the piss tape is real.
    zappo
    zappo
    Supermasculine Menial

Post by zappo Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:42 pm

I've been surprised by the overwhelming consensus that today was the worst and most humiliating moment in the history of the United States of America, though. I guess my perspective is pretty far afield, as I can think of plenty of worse moments from the last month, let alone the last 200+ years.
    tjenz
    tjenz
    Bass Player from Creepy D

Pizzas : 80

Post by tjenz Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:22 am

Nick wrote:Not typically one for conspiracy theories but from what I’ve seen of the Trump/Putin press conference I think the piss tape is real.

It is real and it is spectacular.

Solid Bro

Pizzas : 116
    DispositionSweet

Post by Pete Best Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:28 am

The Donald J. Trump Presidency - Page 32 Rm10

From last week's Popbitch mailout
    Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Post by Nick Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:25 am

zappo wrote:I've been surprised by the overwhelming consensus that today was the worst and most humiliating moment in the history of the United States of America, though.  I guess my perspective is pretty far afield, as I can think of plenty of worse moments from the last month, let alone the last 200+ years.

I agree that this was far from our worst day but I’m not surprised by that sentiment being thrown around. I certainly think the anxiety and frustration is at a peak considering our President is clearly in the Russian’s pocket and yet our government won’t lift a finger because they have culture wars to win.
    zappo
    zappo
    Supermasculine Menial

Post by zappo Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:29 pm

See? He just misspoke! To which of us has this never happened?
    WP64
    WP64
    Mystery Thread Deleter

DispositionIntransigent

Post by WP64 Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:02 pm

Me. Never done it.
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:42 pm

The Donald J. Trump Presidency - Page 32 2978007801
    WP64
    WP64
    Mystery Thread Deleter

DispositionIntransigent

Post by WP64 Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:39 pm

That’s genuinely a very funny and unexpected approach.
    Duff...
    Duff...
    Current Bass Player of UFO

Pizzas : 810
    DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:33 am

If that's what it takes for him to actually get off his ass and do something about it then whatever.
    Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Post by Nick Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:35 am

Taking a pick axe to Trump’s Hollywood Star does nothing to elevate the political discourse in this country and I honestly am a bit fearful of how some MAGA clown will try to create a viral retaliation.

That being said, this news in combination with Ivanka shuttering her fashion line gives me some delight. Knowing that this despicable family is probably having panicked internal discussions about the state their fucking “brand” is in must be leading to some hilarious white boarding.
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:56 pm

Nick wrote:Taking a pick axe to Trump’s Hollywood Star does nothing to elevate the political discourse in this country

Don't ask me what I expected from any LOPP response to this happening but it wasn't a post like this.

If it matters, I think this already happened last year and will probably never stop. Being the petty and vengeful person I am, I'm not against it.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 10, 2024 1:08 pm