tjenz
Ted Falconi
21 posters

The Donald J. Trump Presidency

zappo
    zappo
    Supermasculine Menial

Pizzas : 870

The Donald J. Trump Presidency - Page 36 Empty Re: The Donald J. Trump Presidency

Post by zappo Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:19 am

Duff... wrote:While I'm not equipped to balance the cost and benefits of social media, articles like this leave me at a loss:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/21/world/europe/facebook-refugee-attacks-germany.html

Karsten Müller and Carlo Schwarz, researchers at the University of Warwick, scrutinized every anti-refugee attack in Germany, 3,335 in all, over a two-year span. In each, they analyzed the local community by any variable that seemed relevant. Wealth. Demographics. Support for far-right politics. Newspaper sales. Number of refugees. History of hate crime. Number of protests.

One thing stuck out. Towns where Facebook use was higher than average, like Altena, reliably experienced more attacks on refugees. That held true in virtually any sort of community — big city or small town; affluent or struggling; liberal haven or far-right stronghold — suggesting that the link applies universally.

Their reams of data converged on a breathtaking statistic: Wherever per-person Facebook use rose to one standard deviation above the national average, attacks on refugees increased by about 50 percent.

imlikewhoa
    WP64
    WP64
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Pizzas : 67
    DispositionIntransigent

The Donald J. Trump Presidency - Page 36 Empty Re: The Donald J. Trump Presidency

Post by WP64 Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:06 pm

Y'all were sounding old as shit on that last page.
    WP64
    WP64
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Pizzas : 67
    DispositionIntransigent

Post by WP64 Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:15 pm

I've said this elsewhere, but I think it is really interesting to consider the way in which social media was heralded as this democratizing force in 2010, which was after the success of the Obama Presidential campaign and in the midst of the Arab Spring. Even at the time, I felt that the sentiments being expressed were overstated. It was also a convenient way for American audiences to feel as though it was American ingenuity and invention, and not Arab agency, that was behind those massive street protests.

Nonetheless, I have a hard time making any sweeping assessment of social media as a whole. I am personally more informed because of it. Since joining Twitter a few months ago, I started following a bunch of Italian journalists, which has connected me to the political narratives unfolding in that country in ways that would have otherwise been impossible just reading the New York Times, Guardian, Washington Post, etc.

undo wrote:These companies take and take from our culture and our economy, produce nothing of value and perpetuate a disposable culture of fear and distrust. Wiping them off the face of the earth would be a net positive for 99% of everyone alive and 100% of everyone yet to be born.
    I am very sympathetic to this criticism, but I don't share any nostalgia for a time in which a few major media conglomerates controlled the public's access to information and completely dictated the public discourse, which really has not changed very much. The issue isn't about about lack of editorial oversight as much as it is about ownership. I remain far more concerned about the influence of someone like Rupert Murdoch or the insidious nature of Sinclair Broadcasting, which has preyed on the established trust that consumers have with their local news stations and broadcasts to spread disgusting disinformation campaigns about economic migrants coming into the United States.
    undo
    undo
    Internet's Busiest Music Nerd

Pizzas : 1143

Post by undo Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:27 pm

Not sure it's possible to overstate Rupert Murdoch's role in creating this reality we're stuck in but console myself with his impending demise and the non-zero possibility that his kids will steer Fox News away from its extremes on many issues.

Like everything atm, this is perhaps a naive hope but I'll just lean on it for now.
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:57 pm

WP64 wrote:Y'all were sounding old as shit on that last page.

Also I've got news for you.
    techno raj
    techno raj
    Baller Ass Taco

Pizzas : 231

Post by techno raj Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:45 pm

Almost all of Undo's arguments would have been applicable to early newspaper publishing and many would apply to mass printing / mass literacy before that. In both spirit and implementation, it's autocracy. Even the seemingly unobjectionable redistribution of private resources to an obviously deserving group like children is a classic move of dictatorship.

Your best outcome is probably something like China's regulation of the Internet, deeply autocratic but arguably positive in a paternalistic sort of way in that a big chunk of that society is OK with it, so I hope you like the views of whoever you empower to pull that plug (and whoever comes after them, of course). Worst outcome, I don't even want to think about...
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:34 pm

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/oct/30/trump-birthright-citizenship-executive-order-14th-amendment

I want him to try it so it blows up in his face.

But I also wanted him to win the presidential nomination so Neutral
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:44 pm

undo
    undo

Post by undo Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:50 pm

undo
    undo

Post by undo Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:27 pm

Jefferson Beauregard Sessions III is gone

what will happen now
    tjenz
    tjenz
    Bass Player from Creepy D

Pizzas : 80

Post by tjenz Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:11 am

A constitutional crisis.

Post by undo Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:06 pm

Pray for RBG.
    Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Pizzas : 978

Post by Nick Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:28 pm

Am I alone in feeling like overall the Sessions firing is feeling quiet by Trump reaction standards? There are opinions & articles about a constitutional crisis and whether the new AG appointment is legal.

I’m wondering if there is either something big coming from Mueller soon or if the Democrats are carefully weighing how to respond.
    Duff...
    Duff...
    Current Bass Player of UFO

Pizzas : 810
    DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:18 pm

Feel like part of it is Jeff Sessions is not a guy you miss.
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:53 pm

Nightclub shooting is stealing the headlines.

Also gives him a great chance to make some moves today!
    Duff...
    Duff...

DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:54 pm

Nick wrote:Am I alone in feeling like overall the Sessions firing is feeling quiet by Trump reaction standards? There are opinions & articles about a constitutional crisis and whether the new AG appointment is legal.

I’m wondering if there is either something big coming from Mueller soon or if the Democrats are carefully weighing how to respond.

Looking at downtown right now I guess this was premature.
    Duff...
    Duff...

DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:49 pm

This has been a real trash fire of a day in presidential history, even for this president.
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

Pizzas : 997
    DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:54 pm

I wonder if, in like 20 years or whatever, people will be celebrating the dear departed former President Trump. "Politicians these days are so terrible. Trump had his flaws, but at least he didn't eat his political opponents on live TV like president fill-in-the-blank."
    Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Post by Nick Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:00 pm

Yea it’s scary how George H W Bush was a total shit bag, single term goat fucker and the media is like, “He was a decent man that was a wonderful servant to the country.”

By the time Trump dies they’ll be writing shit like, “He sparked incredible debate within the nation that asked us to look inward and wonder how we could all make America great again. Also, he was a best selling author of business books that are still relevant today.”
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:17 pm

The greatest achievements of George HW Bush we’re actually achieved by Dana Carvey and the writers of The Simpsons.
    Duff...
    Duff...

DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:44 pm

Eh, it's not like this is the final verdict on Bush as a president or a person. By the very nature of the thing a lot of people aren't going to remember the man fondly, but plenty will. In a stable democracy we should be able to take a moment to respectfully mourn the passing of former president if only to remember we're all in this together.

Trump of course, like with all other norms related to this office, is going to stretch if not break the usual bounds of how we act when a head of state dies, with plenty of media types twisting themselves into all sorts of knots to respectfully eulogize this son-of-a-bitch, but plenty of others wanting no part of that. It will likely be a rather divisive time in our country. Would be surprised if there aren't a few boycotts from prominent democrats.

But again, even if his legacy is handled with kid gloves while the flags are at half mast, it doesn't mean we'll treat him like a normal president until the end of time. We still generally think of Nixon as a crook, after all.
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:16 am

raj gibson wrote:Almost all of Undo's arguments would have been applicable to early newspaper publishing and many would apply to mass printing / mass literacy before that. In both spirit and implementation, it's autocracy. Even the seemingly unobjectionable redistribution of private resources to an obviously deserving group like children is a classic move of dictatorship.

Your best outcome is probably something like China's regulation of the Internet, deeply autocratic but arguably positive in a paternalistic sort of way in that a big chunk of that society is OK with it, so I hope you like the views of whoever you empower to pull that plug (and whoever comes after them, of course). Worst outcome, I don't even want to think about...

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/nov/20/facebook-google-antitrust-laws-gilded-age
    https://www.politico.com/story/2018/11/21/facebook-george-soros-zuckerberg-1012545
    https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/05/technology/facebook-documents-uk-parliament.html

eh
    techno raj
    techno raj
    Baller Ass Taco

Pizzas : 231

Post by techno raj Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:35 am

Curious to know, for those who despise HW Bush, is it basically same reasoning as the victory feelings toward McCain, or is it for different factors?

undo wrote:
    raj gibson wrote:Almost all of Undo's arguments would have been applicable to early newspaper publishing and many would apply to mass printing / mass literacy before that. In both spirit and implementation, it's autocracy. Even the seemingly unobjectionable redistribution of private resources to an obviously deserving group like children is a classic move of dictatorship.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/nov/20/facebook-google-antitrust-laws-gilded-age
    https://www.politico.com/story/2018/11/21/facebook-george-soros-zuckerberg-1012545
    https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/05/technology/facebook-documents-uk-parliament.html

eh

Will try to read these articles when I get a chance.
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:07 pm

I don't despite HW Bush, for the record. He seemed like a pretty good guy. And I liked that he was optimistic about his whole new world order thing.

I fully recognize in myself those same tendencies that I overexaggerated with my hypothetical year 2040 dude who would be, "I miss Trump."

I'll never be that though, cause Trump has no redeeming qualities whatsoever and he is aggressively trying to destroy everything I believe in.
    Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Post by Nick Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:41 pm

I despise George W Bush. I despise Trump.

I think HW was a terrible President and the whitewashing of his record this week is ridiculous. It is equally important to highlight his War on Drugs, Iran-Contra involvements, racist campaign ads & that he was a groper as it is that a bunch of people think he was an alright guy.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 10, 2024 12:43 am