Nick
15 posters

The Donald J. Trump Presidency

WP64
    WP64
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Pizzas : 65
    DispositionIntransigent

The Donald J. Trump Presidency - Page 10 Empty Re: The Donald J. Trump Presidency

Post by WP64 Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:36 am

This is all starting to feel very Bush Jr. Help!
    zappo
    zappo
    Supermasculine Menial

Pizzas : 870

The Donald J. Trump Presidency - Page 10 Empty Re: The Donald J. Trump Presidency

Post by zappo Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:50 am

Nick wrote:When he reinstates the draft a few months from now I’ll have LOPP inspired Support Our Boarders shirts created for all our boys being sent off to war.

Troubling developments at best, but this is a really terrific post.
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

Pizzas : 993
    DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:53 am

I know this shouldn't surprise me at this point, but watching the US president threaten blatant war crimes over twitter still fucked me the hell up.
    undo
    undo
    Internet's Busiest Music Nerd

Pizzas : 1138

Post by undo Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:38 pm

Shocked
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:42 pm

destroying "culture sites" (?), am I misunderstanding this or is he just borrowing tactics from ISIS
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:51 pm

The past week has been a blur and I don't even understand what's happening.

I'm sort of going through some shit right now and don't have the energy to keep up with this, I don't understand what just happened in Iraq and how Iran was supposed to be responsible for it. I haven't done my homework and I'm actually no more intelligent or informed than most of the people who are loving every minute of this.

Kind of used up all my attention and energy on following scandals and incidents that went nowhere, got no resolution or justice, eventually this just became what to expect so why invest oneself in trying to point out the hourly levels of lawless incompetence, cruelty and hypocrisy. I understand that this was always the playbook, it was always supposed to go down just like this and I didn't put up much of a fight when the trap finally closed on me. I have the day off and just want to sleep or get high and watch Frozen 2 or something.

remember when W was like "don't change horses in the middle of a stream," and everyone was like "holy shit, he's got a point!"
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:08 am

Iran is playing chess right now. The US is playing "cut off your own dick and jump off a bridge."

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2020/01/fake-news-might-have-allowed-iran-and-the-u-s-to-avoid-an-all-out-war.html

Honestly, this was a very smart move by Iran and I hope the de-escalation holds. Wouldn't be too surprised to see trump drop in the polls, false flag some bullshit, and lob some more missiles. We truly are living in the dumbest of times.
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:19 am

undo wrote:destroying "culture sites" (?), am I misunderstanding this or is he just borrowing tactics from ISIS

And for the record, no. It was straight up illegal terrorist psychobabble. Add to that his specifically stated aim to respond "disproportionally" and there's not even remote ambiguity between his jargon and war crimes as spelled out by the Geneva Conventions. I know he doesn't read or understand anything, so I guess there's always, "Well, he didn't actually know what he was talking about, and we should assume that military officers who are pros at this shit will adhere to the rule of law," but that is horseshit and nobody should be allowed to hold that position without knowledge of how to do the job. Here's my assessment of the situation as it stands right now:

1. We executed a legally ambiguous strike on a garbage war criminal.*
    2. Rather than adhere to a messaging strategy focused on the myriad atrocities committed by the target of the US strike, the commander in chief opted to tweet threats of various war crimes.
    3. The Ayatollah of Iran, previously lacking any credibility whatsoever, decided to say the right things on social media (not difficult. More or less, boils down to: “we, Iran, will adhere to the internationally agreed upon laws of armed conflict).
    4. US Commander in Chief decided to threaten more war crimes.
    5. USA looks like trash.
    6. War?
    7. Deescalation hopefully holds steady.

History and geopolitical common sense dictate that we still have a claim to being the lesser of two evils in this conflict (especially if the Baghdad embassy attack was correctly linked to Iran and/or Quds force... honestly don't know whether this is verifiable). But in this era anybody who has faith in the public’s understanding of history or current geopolitics... is as oblivious as the commander in chief who willingly chooses to ignore them. We, the US, look like terrorists right now. And our leader has been actively taking steps that legitimize actual terrorists. We should be both better and smarter than this.

*I'm actually being very kind to the US right here. Soleimani has committed atrocities, but he's also a uniformed general of a legitimate government. By the logic Trump applied here, any other nation could accuse the US of similar crimes and kill the chairman of the JCS. We don't want to establish that precedent. We were wrong.
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:24 am

I've been trying to argue these issues with trumpists, and it's not going too far to say that they have no understanding of anything. They respond to my rationale above with "but you support the Iranian terrorists who did 9/11. Also, Hillary murders people." We are well past the point of Nazi comparisons. Anybody who's still ride or die with this clown would be first in line to join Hitler's new party, make the "hard choices," and "strengthen the country."
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:31 pm

Ball Street Journal wrote:Mr. Trump, after the strike, told associates he was under pressure to deal with Gen. Soleimani from GOP senators he views as important supporters in his coming impeachment trial in the Senate.

I mean, this is the Wall Street Journal, not exactly known to be liberal or factually inaccurate. And they’re reporting that trump is basically starting wars cause he’s scared about impeachment. Hoping this info reaches the more oblivious sections of the electorate.
    https://www.wsj.com/articles/trumps-new-national-security-team-made-fast-work-of-iran-strike-11578619195
    Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Pizzas : 978

Post by Nick Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:27 pm

This week’s Trill Billies episode did a good job discussing this conflict and how social media is actually helping stop a march to war. Twitter, Facebook, etc weren’t around in the lead up to Iraq and makes it harder for Republicans to lie and gain any kind of support.

Not to mention there is no Coalition of the Willing at this point and a ground invasion of Iran seems to me impossible at this point.
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:08 pm

Check this out, I just came up with this today
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:08 pm

Trump lingered last in line for brains
    And the one he got was sorta rotten and insane
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:22 am

https://www.inquisitr.com/5852525/trump-gop-senators-head-on-pike/

This is fine.
    WP64
    WP64
    Mystery Thread Deleter

DispositionIntransigent

Post by WP64 Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:24 am

So Israel, you can have literally everything while the Palestinians receive a paltry investment and the promise of Statehood without, importantly, the ability to protect your own borders or form an army. Problem obviously solved and onto the next! Do Kosovo next, Mr. President!
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:32 am

^ X post headlines that make you want to give up on life
    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-01-28/netanyahu-to-fly-to-moscow-to-update-putin-on-trump-plan
    WP64
    WP64
    Mystery Thread Deleter

DispositionIntransigent

Post by WP64 Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:48 pm

I've said this before but it is worth repeating right now, and I really am not trying to be sensationalistic, but what other choice does a resident of the West Bank or Gaza have other than armed struggle? Not only is their Likud and Netanyahu to contend with, but the main Israeli opposition party has enthusiastically responded to this declaration by Trump and will carry out these exact plans if they are to win the upcoming election. Palestine has also lost a lot of their support from the Gulf Oil states, which are more interested in maintaining their trading interests than they are with pan-Arabism or any kind of Islamic solidarity.

The PLO and Hamas are corrupt political parties that have done an inconsistent but mostly poor job of representing local Palestinian interests in their respective regions, which is worth mentioning. But there have been ongoing protests in Gaza for months (it might actually be years now) that have resulted in the slaughter of hundreds of innocent civilians by Israeli forces as they symbolically attempt to attack/circumvent the border wall. This isn't even covered by the western press anymore! Nobody cares about their suffering.

Given all of these conditions, it is truly insane to expect a Palestinian resident to constructively engage in a public discourse to reach some kind of accord with the Israeli state. I really, really detest violence, but what the fuck else are they supposed to do at this point??
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:29 pm

https://swarthmorephoenix.com/2018/03/29/more-than-hummus-renewing-the-call-to-boycott-sabra/

I still buy this shit, would love it if there was an alternative that was actually available in the cafeterias where I'm constantly settling for it (because I love it)
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:32 am

If I'm being honest with myself, I guess my feelings towards Mitch McConnell are on the same level as, say, George Zimmerman.
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:32 am

I ruminated on all this too much yesterday and it ruined my evening. Went to bed early and woke with a splitting headache I still have.

For the past year I've been planning on totally unplugging from the media on election day, going to the movies or something, etc. It's easy to assume I'll have the willpower to totally disengage like that at the drop of a hat but I'm starting to believe that will never be possible.

Can't even check myself in to a mental hospital without losing everything, I mean I don't know this but I'm just assuming that would spell the end of my adult life.

Where can you run to in this world anymore
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:39 am

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-51332541

US President Donald Trump has lifted restrictions on the deployment of anti-personnel landmines by American forces.

The decision reverses a 2014 Obama administration ban on the use of such weapons, which applied everywhere in the world except for in the defence of South Korea.

The Trump administration said Mr Obama's policy could put US troops "at a severe disadvantage".

Thousands of people are injured and killed by landmines every year.

US forces will now be free to use the weapons across the world "in exceptional circumstances", the White House said.
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:03 pm

WP64 wrote:This is all starting to feel very Bush Jr. Help!

Don't change horses in the middle of a stream.

imlikewhoa
    jesus jones
    jesus jones
    Tub of Lemon Chobani

Pizzas : 259

Post by jesus jones Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:08 pm

today the GOP installs a dictator
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:54 pm

WASHINGTON — President Trump commuted the 14-year prison sentence of former Gov. Rod R. Blagojevich of Illinois, the Democrat who was convicted of trying to essentially sell Barack Obama’s vacated Senate seat for personal gain, and pardoned the financier Michael R. Milken and Bernard B. Kerik, the former New York City police commissioner, the president announced on Tuesday.

“Yes, we commuted the sentence of Rod Blagojevich,” Mr. Trump told reporters just before boarding Air Force One for a four-day trip to the west coast where he is scheduled to hold three campaign rallies. “He served eight years in jail, a long time. He seems like a very nice person, don’t know him.”

Mr. Kerik, the former New York City police commissioner, was convicted of tax fraud and lying to the government. And he said he had also pardoned Mr. Milken, the investment banker who was known in the 1980s as the “junk bond king” and who has fought for decades to reverse his conviction for securities fraud.

Mr. Trump commuted the former governor’s sentence on Tuesday after saying for years that he was considering intervening in Mr. Blagojevich’s case. By commuting the sentence, the president would free Mr. Blagojevich from prison without wiping out the conviction. Republicans have advised the president against it, arguing that Mr. Blagojevich’s crime epitomizes the corruption that Mr. Trump had said he wanted to tackle as president.

The president’s decision came the same day that he pardoned or commuted the sentences of eight others including Edward J. DeBartolo Jr., a former owner of the San Francisco 49ers who pleaded guilty in 1998 to concealing an extortion attempt and eventually surrendered control of his team.

Mr. DeBartolo, the scion of a prominent real estate development family who created one of the National Football League’s greatest dynasties, was prosecuted after agreeing to pay $400,000 in brand-new $100 bills to Edwin W. Edwards, the influential former governor of Louisiana, to secure a riverboat gambling license for his gambling consortium.

Mr. DeBartolo avoided prison but was fined $1 million and suspended for a year by the N.F.L. He later handed over the 49ers to his sister Denise DeBartolo York. His nephew Jed York currently runs the team, which made it back to the Super Bowl this year only to fall to the Kansas City Chiefs.

In conversations with advisers, Mr. Trump has also raised the prospect of commuting the sentence of Roger J. Stone Jr, his longest-serving adviser, who was convicted in November of seven felony charges, including tampering with a witness and lying under oath in order to obstruct a congressional inquiry into whether the Trump campaign conspired with Russia to influence the 2016 election.

Asked about a pardon for Mr. Stone on Tuesday, Mr. Trump said “I haven’t given it any thought.”

Mr. DeBartolo, often called Eddie D., controlled the franchise for 23 years, presiding over the 49ers’ golden era in the 1980s and 1990s when the team won five Super Bowl championships under coach Bill Walsh with legendary players like Joe Montana, Steve Young, Ronnie Lott and Jerry Rice. Despite his felony conviction, Mr. DeBartolo was elected to the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 2016.

Mr. Trump made no immediate comment Tuesday on his decision but left it to his deputy press secretary, Hogan Gidley, to announce the pardon to reporters. Joining Mr. Gidley at the announcement was a host of N.F.L. legends who supported Mr. DeBartolo, including Mr. Rice, Mr. Lott, Jim Brown and Charles Haley.

“Eddie was like that 12th man that was on that football field,” Mr. Rice told reporters. “You know that this guy, you know, he wanted us to win. And I think he’s the main reason why we won so many Super Bowls. So today is a great day for him. I’m glad to be here and be a part of that.”

Along with Mr. Brown, Mr. DeBartolo was among the hosts of a pre-inauguration party in 2017 that honored people close to Mr. Trump at the time, including Michael D. Cohen, his personal attorney who later went to prison for campaign finance violations and tax evasion, and Omarosa Manigault Newman, a former contestant on “The Apprentice” who joined the White House staff before later being fired. Mr. Trump promoted the event on Twitter at the time.

In the late 1990s, Mr. DeBartolo was an investor in the Hollywood Casino Corp., a Dallas company seeking permission for a riverboat casino in Louisiana. On March 12, 1997, he met Mr. Edwards for lunch in California and handed over $400,000 that the former Louisiana governor had demanded for his help in securing a license. The next day, the Gaming Board granted the license. A month later, federal agents raided Mr. Edwards’s house and office, seizing the $400,000.

“Why do it? It actually was just plain stupidity, and I should have just walked away from it,” Mr. DeBartolo told NFL Films for a biographical documentary in 2012. “I was as much to blame because I was old enough to know better and too stupid to do anything about it.”
    zappo
    zappo
    Supermasculine Menial

Pizzas : 870

Post by zappo Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:18 pm

Never forget.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:36 pm