good mixes on youtube Empty Re: good mixes on youtube

Post by Gene Bootcut Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:38 am

Gene Bootcut
    Gene Bootcut
    A fanatic of the sketch genre

Pizzas : 441

Post by Gene Bootcut Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:42 am

it occurred to me immediately after posting that this is probably an actual compilation that was officially released, oh well
    undo
    undo
    Internet's Busiest Music Nerd

Pizzas : 1140

Post by undo Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:03 pm

Gene Bootcut wrote:it occurred to me immediately after posting that this is probably an actual compilation that was officially released, oh well

Do you get this one in your recommendations all the time like I do?

Gene Bootcut
    Gene Bootcut
    A fanatic of the sketch genre

Pizzas : 441

Post by Gene Bootcut Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:18 am

Yeah but I've never clicked. Does it bang
    BGwaves
    BGwaves
    basically just a wordier, shittier sausage blurb

Pizzas : 283
    DispositionBLACK..... coffee in bed

Post by BGwaves Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:32 am

It’s decent, listened to it over the summer while cooking some ribs. Check the BBQ thread for exact time date and dish I was cooking, it may not have been ribs.
    BGwaves
    BGwaves

Post by BGwaves Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:24 pm

It was burgers
    BGwaves
    BGwaves

Post by BGwaves Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:49 am

techno raj wrote:
    These mixes are amazing! The terrible fidelity makes them more weird and trippy!
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Pizzas : 342

Post by chrondog Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:08 pm

Gene Bootcut wrote:

Did I get the idea to listen to this from this post or did the algorithm just take me to it independently? I have listened to every Jungle Tekno compilation on YouTube at least twice now.

undo wrote:
    Gene Bootcut wrote:it occurred to me immediately after posting that this is probably an actual compilation that was officially released, oh well

Do you get this one in your recommendations all the time like I do?

The Peshay Studio Set is one of my favorites of the Ambiance YouTube channel. lots of bongos and synthy textures. my favorite DnB stuff tends to be a middle ground between everything. somewhat hard, somewhat jungly, somewhat ambient, some vocal samples. Really melodic sets like Peshay tend to be good when you're not on a sub.
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:17 pm

good mixes on youtube The90s10

I think about this comment on a regular basis.
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:43 pm

Like, a couple months ago I read a review of a new book, or an article by someone who'd written a new book about how The Future was depicted in fiction and how that's changed over the years and how The Future was always depicted in an optimistic and positive light, like people took it as a given that things were always going to get better and that technology was always going to solve all of society's problems, etc. I really wish I could find this because now I really want to read it.

This article or review stated that Bill and Ted's Bogus Jouney (1991) was the last Hollywood movie that depicted the future as a utopia, like literally from that point on, The Future was never depicted in a single movie in such a positive light. Seriously, if anyone can find what I'm talking about here, I would really love it.

Spoiler:
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Post by chrondog Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:55 pm

Not gonna find any argument from me there. The global reality we're living in means that quality of life is going to decrease for most Americans for generations. The future which requires conservation doesn't lend itself to particularly expansive futurism.

In addition to fantasizing about technology, visual futurism of the 90s in particular had this convoluted aesthetic that literally remade physical space into an analog/digital hybrid. I think there was an inherent optimism that technology could be used to reshape our physical spaces for pleasure/our benefit. Today, that seems more like the promise of VR. The physical spaces we're building, like subdivisions and cookie-cutter urban apartments, are incredibly ugly and not evocative of a better future.
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Post by chrondog Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:57 pm

On the subject of mixes, I'll recommend the first two Total Science volumes on Ambiance:

Very sick.
    WP64
    WP64
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Pizzas : 67
    DispositionIntransigent

Post by WP64 Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:52 pm

undo wrote:Like, a couple months ago I read a review of a new book, or an article by someone who'd written a new book about how The Future was depicted in fiction and how that's changed over the years and how The Future was always depicted in an optimistic and positive light, like people took it as a given that things were always going to get better and that technology was always going to solve all of society's problems, etc. I really wish I could find this because now I really want to read it.

This article or review stated that Bill and Ted's Bogus Jouney (1991) was the last Hollywood movie that depicted the future as a utopia, like literally from that point on, The Future was never depicted in a single movie in such a positive light. Seriously, if anyone can find what I'm talking about here, I would really love it.
    Can't help you with the specific article but it is a fascinating thesis. Apparently something very similar happened in sci-fi literature. Star Trek is literally a post-work utopia of people exploring the final frontiers of the solar system. At a certain point, the aesthetic changed dramatically and we could only imagine the world as Blade Runner or Children of Men, which is really indicative of a malaise that has creeped into our popular culture and collective psyche.
    BGwaves
    BGwaves

Post by BGwaves Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:20 am

Isn’t futurism kinda dumb though? In hindsight it seems to have tried to force things to happen sooner then the public was actually ready for
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Post by chrondog Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:44 pm

I think futurism is just the creative's take on being a technologist. It imagines what innovation looks like from an intellectual and aesthetic perspective. I think it's natural work that occurs alongside technological innovation and places it in context.

What I would say is that techno optimism of the late 80s and 90s was naive. It was blissfully ignorant of the impending ecological/economic realities that were coming and discussed by experts of the time. The optimistic tone was fueled by popular culture and the "irrational exuberance". It's no surprise that Total Science Volume 2 was released the same year that Alan Greenspan made his famous comments!! Smile
    BGwaves
    BGwaves

Post by BGwaves Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:12 pm

I’d agree with that.

Have you checked out LTJ Bukem yet? All his stuff is right up you’re alley and Logical Progression disc 2 in particular is a classic mix.
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:44 pm

WP64 wrote:Can't help you with the specific article but it is a fascinating thesis. Apparently something very similar happened in sci-fi literature. Star Trek is literally a post-work utopia of people exploring the final frontiers of the solar system. At a certain point, the aesthetic changed dramatically and we could only imagine the world as Blade Runner or Children of Men, which is really indicative of a malaise that has creeped into our popular culture and collective psyche.

Yeah, this was pretty much the thrust of it and I would love to read more about this kind of thing. I guess it's kind of obvious when you think about it but I'm fascinated by how this has happened over the course of my lifetime and most people have just taken it for granted.

BGwaves wrote:Isn’t futurism kinda dumb though?

I mean, kinda. When it's employed unimaginatively, absolutely.

I know you like Drexciya.
    BGwaves
    BGwaves

Post by BGwaves Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:55 pm

The type of futurism I’m referring to is the kind we were sold through things like Epcot Center at Disney world. I think much of the positivity of this music comes from the idea that ‘technology will save us’, and in the 90s, it seemed that future wasn’t so far off.

The Drexciya theory, that they are descendants of a race of aliens born from the slaves who jumped overboard during the slave trade, is not really futurism in my mind. Maybe cause it’s connected to something that happened 400 years ago, I don’t know. I can see how they might be considered futurist but I had a specific thing in my head when I made that comment.
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Post by chrondog Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:31 pm

BGwaves wrote:I’d agree with that.

Have you checked out LTJ Bukem yet? All his stuff is right up you’re alley and Logical Progression disc 2 in particular is a classic mix.

Yeah all his stuff is sick and sits kinda alone. He had a knack for layering on the textures and really pulling from what makes ambient music great. Some DnB producers sound like they're focusing on the rhythm and then just throwing synth samples on top, LTJ Bukem highlights the interplay between rhythm and melody more consistently than the other producers I've been listening to.
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Post by chrondog Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:47 pm

this morning's DnB mix from Ambiance:

undo
    undo

Post by undo Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:07 am

Now playing

techno raj
    techno raj
    Tub of Lemon Chobani

Pizzas : 231

Post by techno raj Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:15 am

WP64 wrote:Star Trek is literally a post-work utopia of people exploring the final frontiers of the solar system.
    I think Star Trek purports to be this -- and there's this assumed civilian/non-Star Fleet life going on that we rarely see where this would be accurate -- but Star Trek as we actually experience it through Starfleet is this highly stratified, regimented organization that functions much more like a military/diplomatic entity than a scientific endeavor.*

*TOS/Next Gen/etc., anyway. I haven't watched Discovery or any of the other recent stuff.

chrondog wrote:Not gonna find any argument from me there. The global reality we're living in means that quality of life is going to decrease for most Americans for generations.
    Hah, I had the 180 degree opposite thought. The world has improved so much -- and I mean worldwide, not just America -- that longing for a utopia is less compelling (in the same way that religions that promise salvation in the afterlife have fewer adherents as real life becomes less and less bad). With my arm smarting from my first shot (way sooner than I would have expected, a year ago, to be getting it) I am a technology/future optimist right now. The future just keeps developing in very different ways than what past futurists expected.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 06, 2024 7:47 am