zappo
spiritofeden
34 posters

going through some shit right now

reuben
    reuben
    President Bannon

Pizzas : 710

going through some shit right now - Page 16 Empty Re: going through some shit right now

Post by reuben Tue May 06, 2014 2:26 pm

raj bigson wrote:Anyone know what to do when the frame of an iPhone gets bent? Apparently it can't really be fixed and the best the Apple store will offer is a new phone for half price. This is for someone else going through shit, not me.
    You can probably get a replacement frame on Amazon, or take it to a kiosk in the mall to be fixed. I replaced the screen on Mrs. W's phone not too long ago and it was not a hard job, although you have to make sure everything goes back in the right order. There are a lot of good walkthroughs on the internet.
    techno raj
    techno raj
    Baller Ass Taco

Pizzas : 231

going through some shit right now - Page 16 Empty Re: going through some shit right now

Post by techno raj Tue May 06, 2014 3:37 pm

I'm not much of a sausage eater but when I have eaten them in recent years I've gone to Franks n Dawgs rather than negotiate Hot Doug's hours. Maybe it's heresy to say, but unlike a decade ago, I don't know that Chicago will really miss HD's that badly. Just like Kuma's hardly has the near-monopoly they once did. Respect to Doug for going out on top.
    Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Pizzas : 980

Post by Nick Tue May 06, 2014 4:25 pm

I think that is one of the better reactions I've read about this today.

Some people seem confused as to where they will get a hot dog from now on...in Chicago.
    yancy
    yancy
    equal parts Skrillex, T. Rex, Ed Kowalczyk, Joe Dumars, Outkast, and Kate Bush

Pizzas : 342

Post by yancy Tue May 06, 2014 4:42 pm

Nick wrote:Some people seem confused as to where they will get a hot dog from now on...in Chicago.
    People won't miss the garden variety hot dogs. I've actually never ordered one from Hot Doug's. People are more upset about losing the specialty & wild game sausages with fancy toppings. But there's at least the one alternative Raj mentioned, and other respectable copycat(s) will probably open to fill the void.

I'll also miss HD's fries, which are the best I've ever had, and half the reason I eat there. Duck fat fries remain overrated, though.

I guess there's also Doug's personality and the overall vibe of the place (decor, faux history of encased meats, great music). Just a perfect little establishment, which suffers only from popularity.
    zappo
    zappo
    Supermasculine Menial

Pizzas : 876

Post by zappo Tue May 06, 2014 5:34 pm

Yeah, I hope that people are mostly upset about missing rattlesnake dogs, and shit. Stuff was baller!
    jesus jones
    jesus jones
    Tub of Lemon Chobani

Pizzas : 259

Post by jesus jones Thu May 08, 2014 9:21 pm

Pete Best wrote:We've chosen Bridal processional music, 'Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating in Space'.
    we did this too - tears galore
    undo
    undo
    Internet's Busiest Music Nerd

Pizzas : 1145

Post by undo Fri May 09, 2014 1:04 am

are you going to use the version with Elvis on it
    WP64
    WP64
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Pizzas : 67
    DispositionIntransigent

Post by WP64 Tue May 13, 2014 5:28 am

I can't sleep but my eyes are too tired to keep reading so I guess I am going to just post at you guys real quick. I had a very annoying day. It started off so well because I got a really great night of sleep and then leisurely walked to class while listening to The Field while digging the amazing weather. Before class I ran into some doctoral students in philosophy that I've become somewhat-familar with (but not at all friends) and bullshitted for a bit. They ended up talking about the struggle of having to teach courses and it somehow devolved into weird rambling about Kanye West's misogyny. One of the girls was really pissed about it but I found it really obvious and boring that she would be. Not to say that obvious and boring observations don't always hold weight but I think we can collectively focus our critical lenses on something other than Kanye's proclamation that he would 'rather be a dick than a swallower.'

I went to class and my teacher was talking about contemporary poetry and how nobody cares about it. He wasn't railing on people as much as just pointing out what he thought to be some undeniable fact. Isn't hip-hop just contemporary poetry? So isn't poetry actually one of the most commercialized art forms of our period where artists like Dr Dre are now massive Apple executives or whatever…

Then I went to a class where I figured out that my teacher had a life-long infatuation with the philosophy of Ayn Rand and actually wrote an article about it for Salon. It's actually a really well-written article and his biography is somehow very endearing. I still think it is kind of stupid, but hey, whatever floats his fucking boat.

But really I'm just staring to think that I am either too crazy or not crazy enough to ever fit into a cohesive and meaningful social grouping. Sometimes I take my education really seriously (even though I'm just an undergraduate) and think that it is just a really engaging, important, and self-fulfilling activity. Other times I am confronted with dorks who couldn't be further removed from what I consider to be engaging or important questions and interests. It's weird. There is just something obviously priestly and ascetic about a lot of these 'professional' philosophers that make them really irritating and self-obsessed. I've totally exhausted all my philosophy courses in two years so I am looking for another major. Our English department seems kinda shitty and lately I've been thinking about Art History… (I don't know why).

I'd like to think that this will be a very productive summer for me. I will be spending all of my time in a massive, cosmopolitan city with an abundance of free time. I really want to check out the city, relax, and try to refocus my goals and pursuits so that I don't end up being actually unhappy in the future. Because overall my life is actually really cool and I'd like it to stay that way for as long as possible and get the most out of it that I can.

Yup.
    ClosetOfExhaustion
    ClosetOfExhaustion
    Have You Heard?

Pizzas : 275
    Dispositiondisposed

Post by ClosetOfExhaustion Tue May 13, 2014 9:34 am

what kind of people do you want to be interacting with? it seems like any time someone has a differing opinion or POV than yours you tend to get judgmental about it
    Gene Bootcut
    Gene Bootcut
    A fanatic of the sketch genre

Pizzas : 441

Post by Gene Bootcut Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:51 pm

My girlfriend translated this text from Italian into English and then asked me to correct her errors. She told me that the sheer incomprehensibility was entirely due to the author's poor grasp of her own language. I've never met this woman, but I'm already terrified of her.

Spoiler:
    damo suzuki
    damo suzuki
    Still has http://lotsofpeopleposting.teensboards.com bookmarked

Pizzas : 65

Post by damo suzuki Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:52 am

One of the directors of my department is resigning. I should be in line to get the job but think I am going to be passed up for an outside hire.

I saw the VP talking to this huge 8 ft. tall looking black guy with glasses.

Motherfucker.
    Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Post by Nick Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:25 pm

Get the rumor going that the black dude fudged his resume & actually went to University of Phoenix. It'll work.
    Gene Bootcut
    Gene Bootcut
    A fanatic of the sketch genre

Pizzas : 441

Post by Gene Bootcut Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:37 am

Start a rumour that he's not black at all.
    ClosetOfExhaustion
    ClosetOfExhaustion
    Have You Heard?

Pizzas : 275
    Dispositiondisposed

Post by ClosetOfExhaustion Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:31 pm

the range of emotions these last 20 hours have been plentiful.
    saw Life Itself last night, and just now had to lay off someone - although I'd known that was coming for about 3 weeks. HR sure adds a lot of unnecessary stress when you've known about having to do it for this long before finally letting that person know.
    vIv
    vIv
    Volunteer worker

Pizzas : 89

Post by vIv Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:35 pm

vIv wrote:
    417 applicants, four interviews, two lunches, 6 references, five essays, a massive oral examination in front of three of my most estemeed professional colleagues, and I was one of two finalists for the job.

...and I didn't get it. No Ha-rumpf. No 

Fuuuuuuuck. It happened again. Was encouraged to apply for one of my dream jobs, made it through three rounds of interviews, absolutely killed the final interview with the hiring manager, and I just learned that I was the fucking Runner Up. Again. Twice in five months.

I am so frustrated No No 
    Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Post by Nick Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:53 pm

That seriously sucks. Been there before too. To get that far is an exhausting process and I'm sure you'll be in the darkest of depths for a bit but will bounce back.

Interviewing for jobs / career paths are one of those things - especially for talented people - where I really believe "everything happens for a reason" so stay strong.
    vIv
    vIv
    Volunteer worker

Pizzas : 89

Post by vIv Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:36 pm

Nick wrote:That seriously sucks. Been there before too. To get that far is an exhausting process and I'm sure you'll be in the darkest of depths for a bit but will bounce back.

Interviewing for jobs / career paths are one of those things - especially for talented people - where I really believe "everything happens for a reason" so stay strong.

Thanks, Nick. Feeling better already. I mean, I have a great job in which I'm perfectly happy. And I am very encouraged that I am making it so far in these recruitments- I'm confident something will come up soon.
    Pete Best
    Pete Best
    Solid Bro

Pizzas : 116
    DispositionSweet

Post by Pete Best Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:11 pm

undo wrote:are you going to use the version with Elvis on it

Yes we are, I like the idea of tying in 'I Can't Help Falling In Love With You', the choir, Pachelbel's 'Cannon in D' the lines about floating through space and time, getting strong today on a song that is on my favourite albums of all time. We're toying with having the Order of Service mocked up like the artwork as she's a pharmacist.
    WP64
    WP64
    Mystery Thread Deleter

DispositionIntransigent

Post by WP64 Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:30 pm

Dogs, my stomach hurts.
    C-poots
    C-poots
    Shiek

Pizzas : 201

Post by C-poots Sat Aug 09, 2014 12:42 pm

Have a company outing at a COO's house where there is a pool. Have been getting in shape for the past 3-4 weeks for this event to impress the young lady I mentioned in another thread who is likely to be in attendance. Have now been sick for 4 days and not much able to eat, nor work out, I have lost what looks to be, like, 50% of the gains I made.

Might just say fuck it and take a nap at the bottom of the swimming pool, whats the point in living.
    Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Post by Nick Sat Aug 09, 2014 12:57 pm

Damn you are on some WP level shit there.
    Bruegel
    Bruegel
    basically just a wordier, shittier sausage blurb

Pizzas : 453

Post by Bruegel Sat Aug 09, 2014 6:34 pm

i thought that was a wp post until i read nick's.
    C-poots
    C-poots
    Shiek

Pizzas : 201

Post by C-poots Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:30 pm

I guess exaggerated suicide posts are ruined for good. Add that to the list.
    WP64
    WP64
    Mystery Thread Deleter

DispositionIntransigent

Post by WP64 Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:49 am

Love y'all.
    Duff...
    Duff...
    Current Bass Player of UFO

Pizzas : 812
    DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:51 am

C-poots wrote:I guess exaggerated suicide posts are ruined for good.
    There goes my boarding career.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 4:36 am