29 posters

vacation plans

Gene Bootcut
    Gene Bootcut
    A fanatic of the sketch genre

Pizzas : 441

vacation plans - Page 10 Empty Re: vacation plans

Post by Gene Bootcut Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:49 am

Mildest climate ever, weather shouldn't be an issue in any season. Go to London!
    C-poots
    C-poots
    Shiek

Pizzas : 201

Post by C-poots Sat Aug 27, 2016 7:24 pm

Just got back from the Italy trip and absolutely loved every minute of it. Venice was fantastic, did mostly as WP said to do and walked around a bunch. We saw Burano and Murano and stayed in San Marco so we could hit up Piazza San Marco early in the morning before the massive crowds. Had some OK food and some real good pizza, hit up the Palazzo Ducale, saw a rehearsal of Norma at Teatro la Fenice, and got burnt under the sun.

Florence was beautiful, stayed along the Arno, ate good food, went to the Scuola del Cuoio, Uffizi which was incredible, hit up Il Duomo and climbed the bell tower and Brunelleschi's dome. The inside of the Cathedral is pretty amazing U can walk along the ceiling. Also tried some lampredotto which was not good, but all other panini were super good.

Can't wait to go back already. Amazing trip loved it.
    Gene Bootcut
    Gene Bootcut

Post by Gene Bootcut Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:16 am

Did U check out any boutiques?
    C-poots
    C-poots
    Shiek

Post by C-poots Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:22 pm

We stopped by Luisa Via Roma and Sutor Mantellassi, both in Florence, but we didn't buy anything.
    Gene Bootcut
    Gene Bootcut

Post by Gene Bootcut Mon Aug 29, 2016 3:09 pm

I was thinking of spending a few days in Italy during the Corsica trip (ferry only takes 2 hours) but apparently my final destination would be... somewhere in Sardinia and I'm not sure if any of these websites R even giving me enough information about where I'd be getting off.

I suppose it could be an adventure if I go early enough in the day.
    Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Pizzas : 978

Post by Nick Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:33 pm

I'm in Tampa for 48 hours to attend some "management training " seminar. Before it starts tomorrow I'm sitting poolside checking emails .

Vivica A Fox is 3 chairs down from me. She keeps shouting "Oh I love that sun, baby!" She's also smoking a joint and has called Trump a motherfucker a bunch of times. Seems like a super chill lady.
    Gene Bootcut
    Gene Bootcut

Post by Gene Bootcut Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:26 am

Anyone got any recommendations for places to go/things to do inside those places in Portugal? Open to both urban and rural recs, would ideally do a bit of both

Oh wow, one of you shitbirds negged me for suggesting that Midwestern Winter to British Winter wouldn't be an arduous transition. LOL @ that
    WP64
    WP64
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Pizzas : 65
    DispositionIntransigent

Post by WP64 Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:06 pm

You should really look up this bus service and try to make your way to the southern coast. I've heard it is really reasonable and breathtakingly beautiful, though I have never been myself.

Have fun!
    C-poots
    C-poots
    Shiek

Post by C-poots Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:09 pm

Going to Toronto in like 3 weeks. Anyone who has recommendations on what to do up there let me know.
    Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Post by Nick Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:23 pm

Booked a trip to Europe today. Start off in Munich. Spend some time in Vienna and finish in Budapest.
    Gene Bootcut
    Gene Bootcut

Post by Gene Bootcut Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:42 pm

Heading to Barcelona in June for Sonar, which kicks off on my birthday. I should probably also look into who's playing right this very instant, but I'm looking forward to getting my fix of IDM in the sun

Anyone got any recs for restaurants/record shops/museums/galleries/clubs/other attractions? I'm guessing that Bruegel and maybe Mitchell and/or Nick have been. A large part of what I'm looking forward to is just walking around the city and seeing what streets and buildings I stumble across, but any advice would be welcome
    C-poots
    C-poots
    Shiek

Post by C-poots Mon May 01, 2017 9:09 am

Decided I can't stand being at my job and need an escape so booked a last minute trip to San Francisco and will be taking a train to LA where I'll stay for 2-3 days. Should be crashing on someone's couch in Echo Park area but if anyone has any rec's on what to see and/or eat while I'm there would appreciate hearing. Hoping to get some good pictures while I'm out there, meet some fashion people, and maybe hit up a museum too but should have a little extra time outside of those activities.
    Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Post by Nick Mon May 08, 2017 2:17 pm

20 days until I leave for vacation. Starting in Munich for a few days before Vienna and then finishing in Budapest.

Having never been to Munich does anyone have recommendations? Not looking for super touristy shit though.
    C-poots
    C-poots
    Shiek

Post by C-poots Wed May 17, 2017 9:03 am

Well this trip has made me come to two conclusions: 1) LA is not at all my type of city and I don't expect to ever return to it. 2) San Francisco is completely my type of city and I don't know what I was thinking when I spoke poorly of it before. I'm guessing its because I lived in Berkeley and was "poor" the first time I experienced SF, but going back was fantastic.

I am strongly considering moving there around the end of summer.
    Gene Bootcut
    Gene Bootcut

Post by Gene Bootcut Wed May 17, 2017 12:24 pm

Does anyone else ever look at Wolter's World videos? I know he's kind of a goofball, and a lot of the things he recommends don't really seem like my thing, but I like cities and I enjoy watching people talk about the upsides and downsides of cities and he's piqued my interest in places I'd never really thought about like Salzburg and Kraków. He's also really fat, which rules because I love jolly fat people.
    Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Post by Nick Tue May 30, 2017 3:39 pm

Europeans do life so much better than Americans. Munich is incredible.
    undo
    undo
    Internet's Busiest Music Nerd

Pizzas : 1138

Post by undo Wed May 31, 2017 10:34 am

Nick wrote:Europeans do life so much better than Americans.

Does this include routine nudism? flavortown

Gene Bootcut
    Gene Bootcut

Post by Gene Bootcut Wed May 31, 2017 12:56 pm

What did you like about Munich? Never been, heard very mixed things but I'm open to it

I really wanna go back to Hamburg, think I would have enjoyed living there more than Berlin in retrospect
    Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Post by Nick Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:51 am

I loved Munich. The balance of old Europe and this new and exciting young demographic was fun to be around. The beer gardens were packed the entire time and we had a couple wonderful meals.

Regensberg was just awesome. Like a medieval hippie/college town. Never visited anything like it.
    WP64
    WP64
    Mystery Thread Deleter

DispositionIntransigent

Post by WP64 Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:39 pm

I'm visiting some family in Italy for about ten days at the end of the month. I couldn't be more excited! Depending on what happens between now and then I might just throw my passport in the Mediterranean while I'm there.
    C-poots
    C-poots
    Shiek

Post by C-poots Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:04 pm

Super exciting, enjoy yourself WP.

I'm going to Seattle for 4-5 days in about 3 weeks, and likely taking a road trip up to Montreal to see Wolf Parade and Arcade Fire in early August. Pumped
    Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Post by Nick Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:50 am

Just a couple days left. Seeing Budapest later today. I think I'd be content living the rest of my life in Salzburg or in a tiny hamlet along the Wachau Valley. Never would have imagined Austria being the country that moves me the most.
    WP64
    WP64
    Mystery Thread Deleter

DispositionIntransigent

Post by WP64 Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:31 am

C-poots wrote:Super exciting, enjoy yourself WP.
    I'm back....

That was probably the most enjoyable week of my life. The family that I have out there are the nicest people. They are all just super warm, affectionate, and just fun to be around, which makes being there an absolute joy and pleasure. My Italian is good enough too that I can understand most of what they are telling me and I can usually respond, in the simplest of ways, so that they can understand me as well. I'm also good enough now where I can shoot back a few jokes in Italian.

Most of my time there was just spent walking around their town (which is also where my grandparents were married and my Mom was born) or being driven around to different historical sites or beautiful old towns (most of them are over 1,000 years old) that were all built on the tops of mountains. Everywhere you would go there is just breathtakingly beautiful.

Probably the best night though was my cousin's wedding. He and his wife are madly in love and have been waiting for years to get married because they didn't have the money. The wedding itself was beautiful and really emotional. Also, for the first time in my life I actually got invested in how I was going to look in my suit. I went out and got a pretty cheap blue suit that fit me well with a pair of brown shoes. I looked pretty damn good in it.

Good enough that a girl at the party ended up coming over to ask me where I was from. It turned out she was a philosophy student studying in Rome and was going on to get her PhD. She was a stunningly beautiful and super intelligent and funny. We talked for about four hours and got pretty drunk. By the end of the night, she was hinting that we should spend the night together but unfortunately I was sharing my hotel room with someone else.  Fuck it.

I got her number though and promised her that I would call her the next time I was in Italy.

The last night there was so sad. I was getting choked up saying goodbye to all my relatives and when I finally got back into my hotel room that last night I sat on my balcony for close to an hour and cried. The first thing I did when I got home was to look at TEFL certification because I can't wait to go back and stay for months or years.
    C-poots
    C-poots
    Shiek

Post by C-poots Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:51 pm

That is genuinely a great story, glad you had a good time WP
    undo
    undo
    Internet's Busiest Music Nerd

Pizzas : 1138