Duff...
reuben
24 posters

[solved]and I hate modern music, disco boogie and pop

C-poots
    C-poots
    Shiek

Pizzas : 201

[solved]and I hate modern music, disco boogie and pop - Page 6 Empty Re: [solved]and I hate modern music, disco boogie and pop

Post by C-poots Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:22 pm

Duff... wrote:
    jasperness wrote:i think it's ridiculous that adults have agreed that we have to take certain animated films seriously

zzz

Have only heard this song played by The Roots with children's instruments. I didn't care for it.

Didn't want to derail the thread, but yeah I had some problems with that Chrono comment.
    Gene Bootcut
    Gene Bootcut
    A fanatic of the sketch genre

Pizzas : 441

[solved]and I hate modern music, disco boogie and pop - Page 6 Empty Re: [solved]and I hate modern music, disco boogie and pop

Post by Gene Bootcut Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:48 am

Not taking animated films seriously is like not taking electronic music seriously. Performance isn't everything.
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Pizzas : 342

Post by chrondog Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:01 am

now that i've hooked you all with Grade A troll bait, i'll clarify.

i'm referring more specifically to the phenomenon of taking animated films that are created to appeal to children and then trying to market them to adults as a "movie you could take your kids to see!"

i think it does a disservice to the animated form to try and meet both audiences in the middle. you don't make the best animated films for children or the best animated films for adults when you try and combine a visual style and characters for children with some mildly adult plot lines.

this is basically the entire Disney/Pixar business strategy so it's clearly working for them. and i have loved Pixar movies throughout my childhood and teen years. i haven't seen many since Finding Nemo though and it's because as i get older they're not as successful as tiptoeing that line.

sometimes i think i really like Wall-E and sometimes i think i never want to see it again.
    C-poots
    C-poots
    Shiek

Pizzas : 201

Post by C-poots Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:59 am

I like Wall-E and Totoro and shit. I think you're just trying too hard, really.
    Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Pizzas : 978

Post by Nick Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:20 am

Oh man, I got ripped to shreds by my sister-in-law the other weekend. My niece couldn't understand why Wall-E had to clean up garbage and why people couldn't walk or live on Earth.

I had to explain to her that humans are disgusting and selfish. Didn't think she'd tell her mommy right away.
    Bruegel
    Bruegel
    basically just a wordier, shittier sausage blurb

Pizzas : 453

Post by Bruegel Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:40 am

lol

I'm still taking flack for explaining addiction to Alfie a few years ago

His dads an inveterate (if successful) gambler and Alfie couldn't understand why he devotes so much time to swearing at horses
    yancy
    yancy
    equal parts Skrillex, T. Rex, Ed Kowalczyk, Joe Dumars, Outkast, and Kate Bush

Post by yancy Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:40 pm

I want to see the first half of Wall-E a few more times.
    undo
    undo
    Internet's Busiest Music Nerd

Pizzas : 1138

Post by undo Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:59 am

I'm not putting spoiler tags on this because no one alive should have to live another minute believing this song is anything but total shit.
    Michael K.
    Michael K.
    Fascist Groove Shark

Pizzas : 161
    Dispositionpickled

Post by Michael K. Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:07 am

The more calculated, female version of Wavves. I like Wavves, but this is total shit.
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Post by chrondog Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:16 am

the production on that whole Best Coast album was fantastic

but of course, it was Jon Brion

i'm the opposite and thinks Wavves is trash
    monotony
    monotony
    Vanity-published Eco-horror Fiction Writer

Pizzas : 65

Post by monotony Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:07 am

Loved the first Best coast album. Second one sucked pretty hard.
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:46 am

Spoiler:

There are people who would rather listen to this song than enjoy 4 minutes of peaceful silence, and there are millions of them.
    yancy
    yancy
    equal parts Skrillex, T. Rex, Ed Kowalczyk, Joe Dumars, Outkast, and Kate Bush

Post by yancy Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:28 pm

I'll never understand how that band got so big. It would be easier to comprehend if they were worse. They were supposed to toil in XRT obscurity for decades, playing clubs packed with grayhairs. Not headlining arenas.
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Post by chrondog Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:45 pm

i can't ever forget the summer after my freshman year of high school i took a history class at local community college and listened to Rubber Factory to and from class on the train every day
    Duff...
    Duff...
    Current Bass Player of UFO

Pizzas : 809
    DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:59 pm

monotony wrote:Loved the first Best coast album. Second one sucked pretty hard.
    Yeah.
    yancy wrote:I'll never understand how that band got so big. It would be easier to comprehend if they were worse. They were supposed to toil in XRT obscurity for decades, playing clubs packed with grayhairs. Not headlining arenas.
    I think we discussed them and Band of Horses at the Teensboards incarnation of this forum trying to unravel this mystery.
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:16 pm

Spoiler:

how does this have 252,000,000 views?
    Duff...
    Duff...

DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:46 pm

Yeah, that song has "peaked at #8 on the Adult Contemporary charts" written all over it.
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:18 am

Spoiler:

so people are still making this kind of music in 2014
    reuben
    reuben
    President Bannon

Pizzas : 710

Post by reuben Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:02 am

Does everything have to be a goddamned Pomplamoose video these days?

Millennials

disgustedatrightwing 
    Duff...
    Duff...

DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:25 pm

That might not be a terrible song if they didn't feel the need to go full on Deschanel all over it.
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Sun May 04, 2014 5:46 pm

Spoiler:

This has been getting on my nerves for years now but I never found out what it was until today. The version of it we got and still have to hear all the time is even more annoying.
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Tue May 27, 2014 3:00 pm

Spoiler:
    Gene Bootcut
    Gene Bootcut
    A fanatic of the sketch genre

Pizzas : 441

Post by Gene Bootcut Tue May 27, 2014 3:39 pm

Are none of the Youtube videos showing up for anyone else.
    WP64
    WP64
    Mystery Thread Deleter

DispositionIntransigent

Post by WP64 Wed May 28, 2014 12:02 am

So how much of a problem are things like that? I don't want to be a prude but does everything erotic actually have to be so obvious.
    WP64
    WP64
    Mystery Thread Deleter

DispositionIntransigent

Post by WP64 Wed May 28, 2014 1:15 am

I actually can be a bit of a weird-o and reactionary about that kinda shit. Is DFW right that if you're vain you'll die a thousand deaths before they ever throw dirt over you? I sorta buy that. I try very hard to just accept the way my body is and have never really dealt with any severe self-consciousness when it comes to my appearance. That also probably has something to do with my gender and general apathy though.

I don't know. There are certainly benefits to women's sexual liberation but there also obvious drawbacks that are not at all the fault of the average, everyday woman walking the streets. Conservatives blab all the time about how we are creating a society of entitlement, which is egregious but not entire inaccurate. It just isn't necessarily fiscal entitlement. Even though that dude at UC-Santa Barbara was a sociopath there is something really fucking odd about a 22-year old feeling entitled to love and affection. That is sort of engrained into all of us a little bit.

I always try to think about how fucking hard it would be for me to have a daughter. It actually freaks me out. I mean, having a child must be the most incredible feeling coupled with the most crippling and terrifying responsibility. But that would be even more intense probably if I had a girl. Like yes, every girl should be able to walk down the street wearing whatever they want and never be subjected to any form of sexual/physical/emotional ridiculing or belittlement. And I would never, ever subject any woman to that sort of treatment. But it is an unfortunate reality that every woman should at least be weary of.

And I don't really think the best route towards gender equality and sexual liberation is to over-sexify (lol) everything. I'm not someone who cares that woman wear too much makeup or something. That is none of my business. But there is just a crazy amount of pressure for women to be 'hot' or 'sexy' or 'whatever' that starts at an incredibly young age. It's just kind of unsettling. I don't know.

There an increasing awareness on the DePaul campus lately about sexual violence. It's such a pervasive and fucked up problem. I don't know what I am saying anymore other than basically 'god damn it!'

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:17 am