Ted Falconi
31 posters

Television Discussion Thread

Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

Pizzas : 997
    DispositionRock Guitars

Television Discussion Thread - Page 33 Empty Re: Television Discussion Thread

Post by Ned Braden Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:40 pm

First season of the office was often cringy as fuck too.
    Duff...
    Duff...
    Current Bass Player of UFO

Pizzas : 810
    DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:48 am

chrondog wrote:Y'all talking up My So Called Life while trashing The Office?

Excuse me, I was quite clearly talking up both.

chrondog wrote:I bet you guys think Freaks & Geeks was seminal TV huh?

But yes.
    undo
    undo
    Internet's Busiest Music Nerd

Pizzas : 1142

Post by undo Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:02 pm

Ned Braden wrote:First season of the office was often cringy as fuck

I kind of thought this was often the point of the first season or two, as opposed to what would follow (and what the word "cringe" would eventually come to mean).

That said, I have not revisited those episodes in quite some time and am not keen to do so. I was an early owner of the first season (6 episodes?) on DVD, which I watched when I was sick for a week. I also beat Final Fantasy 7 that week, which I would not realize until many years later would be the peak of my gaming life.
    Duff...
    Duff...

DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:34 pm

Cringe as humour was definitely the point early on but the 1st season didn't really get there yet. By no means as bad as the last two or three years, but they still hadn't quite figured out how to be its own thing as opposed to an American version of this British thing. IMHO.
    WP64
    WP64
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Pizzas : 67
    DispositionIntransigent

Post by WP64 Sat Jul 03, 2021 12:01 am

Mare of Easttown is easily the best television I have seen in a very, very long time. Stylistically it feels like a cross between The Affair and Big Little Lies. It feels a step above both of those as well. And I am saying that as someone who thoroughly enjoyed both of them.
    BGwaves
    BGwaves
    basically just a wordier, shittier sausage blurb

Pizzas : 283
    DispositionBLACK..... coffee in bed

Post by BGwaves Wed Sep 01, 2021 4:26 am

The Dark Side of Wrestling is an excellent show. If you enjoyed wrestling as a kid, or still do as an adult, then you will love this thing. The episode about Jake ‘The Snake’ Roberts was astounding and gave me chills. Some other episode were completely informative, like the episode about ‘New Jack.’ Never heard of the guy but now find him a horrible, but nonetheless, fascinating character.
    Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Pizzas : 978

Post by Nick Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:42 pm

Anyone else working their way through Get Back? I went into it thinking I’d not enjoy it and like 10 minutes in I was all, “Yep it’s the fucking Beatles and they made perfect music that has made me genuinely happy for my entire life.”

It’s long and it’s not necessary that it be this long but I’ve still loved it all.
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Sat Dec 04, 2021 5:30 pm

Get Back is fucking rad.

Newspaper: "It would be about the middle of 1960 that the personal luster of The Beatles began to show a few spots of rust. I will deliberately leave Ringo out of it, because he has never developed an inclination towards the bizarre.

Ringo: Decides to make weird art films with Nilsson and Bolan, joins the Hollywood Vampires drinking club.
    damo suzuki
    damo suzuki
    Still has http://lotsofpeopleposting.teensboards.com bookmarked

Pizzas : 61

Post by damo suzuki Wed Dec 08, 2021 5:22 pm

Watched Masters of the Universe on Netflix with my kid recently. Pretty fun show.

I was uncomfortably attached to Evilynn when she was buffed at the end. Not sure how to reconcile those feelings.
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Fri Mar 25, 2022 1:09 am

I just rewatched Barry and it’s somehow even better than I remember. I’m so jazzed for S3 at end of April.

Yellowjackets is absolutely worth the hype and Juliette Lewis is the hottest human being ever to live even as an old person and I love how she is morphing into the female version of middle-aged-grisled-but-lithe Iggy Pop.
    Michael K.
    Michael K.
    Fascist Groove Shark

Pizzas : 161
    Dispositionpickled

Post by Michael K. Sat Mar 26, 2022 7:59 pm

Ned Braden wrote:
    Yellowjackets is absolutely worth the hype and Juliette Lewis is the hottest human being ever to live even as an old person and I love how she is morphing into the female version of middle-aged-grisled-but-lithe Iggy Pop.

Huh. Yellowjackets was fun - felt like it sorta fucked the landing and I'm not super interested in watching the following season(s), but it was fun - but this is a take I don't share on Lewis. Fascinating how we find different things attractive, I guess, but all she did in this show was unnerve the shit out of me.
    BGwaves
    BGwaves
    basically just a wordier, shittier sausage blurb

Pizzas : 283
    DispositionBLACK..... coffee in bed

Post by BGwaves Sun Mar 27, 2022 11:09 am

Ned, I haven’t watched yellowjackets but if you’re looking for crazed Juliette Lewis, the HBO mini series ‘I know this much is true’ is where you should head next. It’s a difficult and somewhat depressing show but also weirdly cathartic by the end. It moved me. Also, Harold Bud did the soundtrack, may have been one of his final things, tbh.
    Duff...
    Duff...

DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Sun Mar 27, 2022 1:25 pm

For some reason my friend's take from like 25 years ago that Lewis "Isn't pretty, but she's sexy as hell" as always stuck with me and seems in kind with what Ned is saying here. But yeah, "female version of latter day Iggy" doesn't seem like it's gonna be everyone's cuppa.
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Tue Mar 29, 2022 11:39 pm

Yeah, the Juliette Lewis crush is a big longstanding thing, and while I see how she could be grating, she can do no wrong in my book.

The female version of latter day iggy is, to me, noteworthy for how uncommon it is. As illustrated in a 30 rock episode once, women seem to typically go in the Meryl Streep or Madonna direction:  either age gracefully into old age (whatever the hell that can mean for anybody of any gender), or lean hard into the plastic-surgery-eternal-youth effort which is eventually doomed to fail.  It's cool seeing my lifelong crush do a thing that is very much in opposition to either of those paths, and while I'm admittedly a creepy old man at heart who generally prefers younger women (The hot balarina from Bun Heads is 27 now!), I wouldn't kick middle aged Juliette out of bed ever and her even paying me the slightest bit of attention would destroy me.

BGwaves wrote:Ned, I haven’t watched yellowjackets but if you’re looking for crazed Juliette Lewis, the HBO mini series ‘I know this much is true’ is where you should head next. It’s a difficult and somewhat depressing show but also weirdly cathartic by the end. It moved me. Also, Harold Bud did the soundtrack, may have been one of his final things, tbh.

SOLD.
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Sat Apr 30, 2022 10:23 pm

Ned Braden wrote:Im so excited to see new Better Call Saul. Rewatching the whole thing before I do.

Is it... the greatest television show ever? IMHO it should be in the conversation. Well, at least so far.

I don’t want to jinx things, but the case for this bold claim has only gotten stronger.

undo
    undo
    Internet's Busiest Music Nerd

Pizzas : 1142

Post by undo Sun May 01, 2022 3:16 am

I have grown accustomed to watching most of those seasons in Blu-ray as they come out and I'm general being like 9-12 months behind most other people who watch it.

I don't know if that's a wise strategy to stick with going forward if I don't want to be spoiled.
    damo suzuki
    damo suzuki
    Still has http://lotsofpeopleposting.teensboards.com bookmarked

Pizzas : 61

Post by damo suzuki Sun May 01, 2022 6:18 pm

We finished Ozark S4 and Russian Doll S2 this weekend. Greatly enjoyed both. My wife really liked Russian Doll and the music was banging!
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Sun May 15, 2022 10:22 pm

Ash Vs Evil Dead rewatch.

I haven’t actually watched this all the way through, but what I have seen is the absolute best shit.
    Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Post by Nick Sun May 15, 2022 11:15 pm

Ned Braden wrote:Ash Vs Evil Dead rewatch.

I haven’t actually watched this all the way through, but what I have seen is the absolute best shit.

One of my favorite shows of the past 10 years lol. I would just smile for the entirety of each episode.

Can’t believe our niche of Evil Dead fans is so small that this couldn’t run for 10 seasons.
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Sun May 15, 2022 11:49 pm

Nick wrote:
    Ned Braden wrote:Ash Vs Evil Dead rewatch.

One of my favorite shows of the past 10 years lol. I would just smile for the entirety of each episode.

Can’t believe our niche of Evil Dead fans is so small that this couldn’t run for 10 seasons.

I alternate between having this mindset and in thinking that the show’s existence for even 1 season at all is an utter miracle. Either way, I’m glad we got three seasons.
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Mon May 16, 2022 9:26 pm

In the second season of Ash vs Evil Dead, Ash’s sister resurrected as a deadite says, “Fine! Then im gonna make like a tree and fuck you!” while this song is playing in the background

It is exceptional television.
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Fri May 27, 2022 1:33 am

Ned Braden wrote:
    Ned Braden wrote:Im so excited to see new Better Call Saul. Rewatching the whole thing before I do.

Is it... the greatest television show ever? IMHO it should be in the conversation. Well, at least so far.

I don’t want to jinx things, but the case for this bold claim has only gotten stronger.

Just my periodic check in with “yep, same” comment. In terms of quality, we are truly living through an historic, unprecedented TV moment here.

Final half of this final season kicks off July 11…. I can’t wait. And also, what will I do when you are gone? If Bob O and Rhea S don’t win every Emmy, all the Emmy voter people can fuck off and die forever.
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Sat May 28, 2022 7:54 pm

Moon Knight is a super smart, crazy interesting show and a compelling portrait of dissociative identity disorder… with a bomb ass soundtrack and a really fucking good cast.

Have any of you heard of this thing? Cause I am a big MCU fan and I hadn’t. I’m feeling like this is a crazy good show on its way to getting cancelled due to algorithms and nobody checking it out.
    Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Post by Nick Sat Jul 23, 2022 1:41 pm

Weather is terrible last night and this morning so I’m binge watching The Boys.  Through 1 1/2 seasons so far and there are plenty of reasons to hate this show but also plenty of reasons to get addicted and keep watching.

The guys that play Homelander and The Deep are terrific. Homelander might be the creepiest “super hero” I’ve seen. Going to keep plowing through this weird dumb show!
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Sat Jul 23, 2022 2:45 pm

Sign me up for any superhero genre thing with Jensen Ackles playing a dude called Soldier Boy.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 10:30 am