Post by undo Wed Jul 13, 2022 9:46 pm

Duff...
    Duff...
    Current Bass Player of UFO

Pizzas : 809
    DispositionSunny.

local politics - Page 4 Empty Re: local politics

Post by Duff... Wed Jul 13, 2022 10:41 pm

Gonna start a "Draft Bad Boy Bill for Mayor" campaign.
    undo
    undo
    Internet's Busiest Music Nerd

Pizzas : 1138

Post by undo Sun Aug 07, 2022 6:45 pm

undo wrote:
    The anti-Darren Bailey ad that keeps getting run by the "Democratic Governors Association" is so confusing. It's an anti-Bailey ad but it plays up his anit-abortion, pro-Trump, pro-murder weapon bonafides, it plays equally as well as a pro-Bailey ad would if they'd actually made it for themselves. It does not seem to be on YouTube but TNT was playing during every other commercial break during the NBA playoffs.

(Too huge to embed and I'm not able to resize at the moment)

https://i.servimg.com/u/f21/14/51/92/04/img_2021.jpg

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2022/aug/07/democrats-boosted-extremists-republican-primaries-was-that-wise

Love spending millions of dollars to help keep pushing the Overton window further and further to the right every election. No way that will ever backfire down the road.
    Duff...
    Duff...

DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:36 pm

Yeah, I mean it's actually very easy post-Trump to paint every republican as a dangerous authoritarian reactionary, largely because it tends to be true. You don't actually have to put the most dangerous, most authoritarian reactionary in a position to win office.
    BGwaves
    BGwaves
    basically just a wordier, shittier sausage blurb

Pizzas : 282
    DispositionBLACK..... coffee in bed

Post by BGwaves Thu Sep 15, 2022 9:03 pm

Might not be the right place for this but I’m curious what people think about Riot Fests relationship to the neighborhood it takes over every year. Specifically the park but obviously if you’ve gone, you know parking in the immediate vicinity is pretty easy but also takes away from local residents. The Reader has done a few articles recently, one which highlighted a meeting with an executive and locals where the exec basically laughed off residents complaints about the park being taken over for almost a month in preparation. The second one was published recently and dealt with the way they pay their way into and out of the park every year.

The articles themselves aren’t really important. I’m more interested in the philosophical aspect of the green spaces in a city being taken over by a festival that brings in a lot of ‘outsiders.’ What do you guys think?
    Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Pizzas : 978

Post by Nick Fri Sep 16, 2022 11:06 am

Yea interesting question and I can sympathize with how annoying it must be going about normal life shit with the festival setting up for weeks.

But I guess I need more info on how much the money the festival revenue helps the area - if at all - for the weekend it takes place. Same with any green space occupancy for an event. Where does the revenue go and if it were to go away completely does any local business suffer?
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Fri Nov 04, 2022 4:25 pm

Nick, have you gotten one of those fake newspapers in the mail that says Pritzker is going to release all violent offenders from prison?

We got one two weeks ago that was basically just "here are the LGBTQ books you need to petition for removal at your local library," kids are being taught sexual fetishes in school, we dare you to challenge a single angle FACT in this newspaper, etc.

It's so weird to remember life 20-30 years ago when society was ostensibly more conservative on the whole but all of this would have felt completely inconceivable and insane even to the stuffiest churchgoing Bush (Sr and Jr) voters.
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Fri Nov 04, 2022 4:27 pm

I am shook af atm

I though JB had this in the bag, what in the world has happened in the last three weeks
    Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Post by Nick Fri Nov 04, 2022 6:08 pm

My daily routine for the past couple months has been recycling anti-JB hate mail each stroll up the driveway after getting mail. I think we got one of the newspapers last week? I dunno, the amount spent on printing that garbage is wild to think about.

I could be wrong but I think come election night it won’t end up being that close. JB will win comfortably just not in a total landslide like he should considering his opponent.

But 50% of our entire country are mentally insane fuckheads that want us all to burn so no election - local or national - will probably be a lock ever again.
    Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Post by Nick Mon Nov 07, 2022 6:15 pm

Tomorrow and the next several weeks are going to be next level insane. What is the over/under on how many elections the Republicans are going to challenge and just flat out deny the results are valid?

I expect it to be a better day for Republicans but am fearful for the level of chaos our country is going to descend into. Violence or threats of violence at the polls, outcome denial, media both siding the fuck out of everything… “The Republicans say the results are fraudulent and will be contested. There is no proof of this but what we should hear them out.”

Maybe it will all be uneventful.
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Mon Nov 07, 2022 8:48 pm

Nick wrote:My daily routine for the past couple months has been recycling anti-JB hate mail each stroll up the driveway after getting mail. I think we got one of the newspapers last week? I dunno, the amount spent on printing that garbage is wild to think about.

Exactly one day after my last post and the day after getting one of those fake newspapers, another one appeared in our mailbox. (edit: https://chicago.suntimes.com/2022/11/3/23438739/right-wing-newspapers-fake-news-newpapers-dan-proft-richard-uihlein-news-literacy-project )

I thought they were doing this just in DuPage but I think they do it in every country and just change the name of the fake newspaper.

Are people just dropping anti-JB fliers on people's driveways and setting rocks on them so they don't blow away (the preferred tactic of both driveway sealcoating companies and anti-Semitic/white supremacist fearmongers)? Or are you pulling these out of people's mailboxes? Keep in mind there's a private forum here depending on your answer!
    BGwaves
    BGwaves

Post by BGwaves Wed Nov 09, 2022 8:35 am

What a waste of money that whole thing was. If half of that money went into the climate, jobs programs, and education, I think our country would be in a better place.
    Duff...
    Duff...

DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Thu Nov 10, 2022 12:32 am

undo wrote:
    Nick wrote:My daily routine for the past couple months has been recycling anti-JB hate mail each stroll up the driveway after getting mail. I think we got one of the newspapers last week? I dunno, the amount spent on printing that garbage is wild to think about.

Exactly one day after my last post and the day after getting one of those fake newspapers, another one appeared in our mailbox. (edit: https://chicago.suntimes.com/2022/11/3/23438739/right-wing-newspapers-fake-news-newpapers-dan-proft-richard-uihlein-news-literacy-project )

I thought they were doing this just in DuPage but I think they do it in every country and just change the name of the fake newspaper.

Are people just dropping anti-JB fliers on people's driveways and setting rocks on them so they don't blow away (the preferred tactic of both driveway sealcoating companies and anti-Semitic/white supremacist fearmongers)? Or are you pulling these out of people's mailboxes? Keep in mind there's a private forum here depending on your answer!

Got one of these dumb things yesterday. Was a lot easier to laugh about after Pritzker won.
    BGwaves
    BGwaves

Post by BGwaves Thu Nov 10, 2022 9:40 am

In total we received five, four south cook news and one north cook news. That we received the north and also three came yesterday, not with our general mail, tells me they were all hand delivered and not through the mail system. In a way it also shows a stunning lack of dedication to the candidate you’re supporting unless these things are gonna be a year round strategy going forward. I wonder if they were being handed out at the recent Darren Bailey ‘rally’ in marionette park on Monday? That would explain the potential of getting a ‘north’ cook news and also supports the idea that they were hand delivered. Either way it was an insidious but dumb idea.
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Wed Mar 01, 2023 9:22 pm

I live in the suburbs so take this with a grain of salt.

Would rather have had Lightfoot win last night than this upcoming runoff between Vallas and Johnson, which Democrats across the country will be chomping at the bit to learn all the wrong lessons from.

Spoiler:
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Sat Mar 04, 2023 9:32 pm

undo wrote:

He did not win

https://blockclubchicago.org/2023/02/28/jessie-fuentes-poised-to-win-26th-ward-race-replacing-longtime-ald-roberto-maldonado/
    Duff...
    Duff...

DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Sun Mar 05, 2023 4:06 pm

May your heroes never run for alderman.
    BGwaves
    BGwaves

Post by BGwaves Sun Mar 05, 2023 7:58 pm

He had the backing of the FOP, fwiw. The stories about his campaign seemed liked someone wanted the notoriety his name brings, ultimately, for him to be a ‘rubber stamp.’ He seemed light on policy and having a real reason for running. Interestingly, they didn’t lean on his history as a DJ in the city, which I found admirable. Would be nice if all of our hero’s were like us but I find over and over again, this isn’t the case.
    Duff...
    Duff...

DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Sun Mar 05, 2023 8:23 pm

I feel like if literally all he did at every campaign event and press conference was do a mix set and get his name listed on the ballot as "Jammin Jumpin Julian Perez" it'd've been more admirable than what we ended up with.
    Duff...
    Duff...

DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Wed Mar 15, 2023 10:48 pm

Well. Guess I don't know what I was imaging Ja'Mal Green and Willie Wilson could ever agree on but I certainly wasn't figuring it would be this.
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Thu Mar 16, 2023 2:46 pm

local politics - Page 4 Wilson10

ballin
    WP64
    WP64
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Pizzas : 65
    DispositionIntransigent

Post by WP64 Mon Apr 03, 2023 12:58 pm

Can someone breakdown the current mood around the city? Or link to any good articles covering the runoff mayoral election? I have been passively following through my Twitter feed (so I have a very CDSA-aligned understanding of the race).

Honestly, I have been partially trying to avoid the whole thing because I know they are going to India Walton him in the end. They always find a way. But... let's go Brandon bb!
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Wed Apr 05, 2023 12:09 am

undo wrote:I live in the suburbs so take this with a grain of salt.

Would rather have had Lightfoot win last night than this upcoming runoff between Vallas and Johnson, which Democrats across the country will be chomping at the bit to learn all the wrong lessons from.

Spoiler:

local politics - Page 4 2759354671
    WP64
    WP64
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Pizzas : 65
    DispositionIntransigent

Post by WP64 Thu Apr 06, 2023 9:20 am

Pretty exciting news. Already some grumblings coming from the corners of DSA about this election because apparently the Johnson campaign asked them not to endorse because he wanted to maintain an independent distance from them. Problematically though, almost all of the DSA-aligned alders endorsed Johnson.. Will be interesting to see how that tension will resolve itself.

The electoral map looks pretty obvious. But again, opens up some questions about how Johnson will actually govern. The reality is that he will probably have to make some appeal to at least one of the Vallas' constituencies -- white public sector employees and machine loyalists on the urban periphery, high-income north siders (Lincoln Park, etc.) and downtown business interests. It is not going to be possible for him to assert any sort of new political agenda without at least getting one of those constituencies partially onside, imo. My guess is he is going to try for the high-income "progressive" vote, which is why he is already distanced himself from BDS movement.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:21 am